The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 16:15:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Jordan Archer

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jordan Archer  (Read 20476 times)
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2014, 22:50:13 pm »

His kicking is good and has finally made some good saves, but his command of the area, organisation and positioning are generally poor

More simply. Just nowhere near as good as Duke.
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 22, 2014, 02:21:56 am »

And to think of the stick Chris Dunn got, i'd give my left little toe nail to have him back in goal right now.

Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
Report Spam   Logged

NaggerPagger

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 22, 2014, 08:45:50 am »

Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Its true though I'd have Chris Dunn in goal ahead of Archer but then I'd have Clive Dunn in goal ahead of Archer.

Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2014, 09:15:12 am »

Its true though I'd have Chris Dunn in goal ahead of Archer but then I'd have Clive Dunn in goal ahead of Archer.

I understand, though it's like saying I'd rather eat that rotten apple than that rotten plum.
Report Spam   Logged

North_East_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 22, 2014, 09:32:16 am »

His kicking is good averageand has finally made some agood saves, but his command of the area, organisation and positioning are generally very poor and he, along with Alfei is a major reason why we have conceded so many goals recently.

From what I have seen this season, this sums it up. I expect more from a professional goalkeeper, I'm afraid.
Report Spam   Logged

5th place in the 2014 AND 2015 Grand National Sweepstake competitions. . . . .
sbedscobb

« Reply #185 on: October 22, 2014, 09:44:32 am »

I've seen a few worse between the sticks at sixfields.
He's a young inexperienced keeper who has a shambles of a defence in front of him.

Had we the young Gordon Banks in goal this month, he too would have been seriously exposed.

Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 22, 2014, 11:46:53 am »

Go away Archer and pull your pant's up.
Report Spam   Logged
North_East_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 22, 2014, 13:02:09 pm »

He's a young inexperienced keeper who has a shambles of a defence in front of him.

Had we the young Gordon Banks in goal this month, he too would have been seriously exposed.

I can remember worse too, but the thing he has to do when he has a shambles of a defence in front of him is to be vocal and organise them, and be consistent with what he does. Within the first 5 minutes in the Burton game he'd come out for a cross without calling for it, and missed it. He then half came for a cross and then went back on his line. It's no wonder the defence is a shambles when they don't know what he's going to do, especially when he doesn't tell them. - If he's a keeper who tries to come for crosses, fine. But he has to a) Shout for it, and b) Come every time. If you're coming for some, leaving some, and coming, then retreating for the rest, nobody knows what you're going to do.
Report Spam   Logged

5th place in the 2014 AND 2015 Grand National Sweepstake competitions. . . . .
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #188 on: October 22, 2014, 13:05:23 pm »

I find it amazing how some people...including Wilder...still defend him.

Put it this way. I voted for him as mom on Saturday - but still hi-lighted the fact that he is totally mute and doesn't in any way shape or form marshall his defensive troops in front of him.

As such, it doesn't really matter how well he plays.

A keeper needs to be a leader. And at the moment he isn't one.
Report Spam   Logged
j20cobbler

« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2014, 23:27:09 pm »

Agreed, Those in front of him are more the problem.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #190 on: October 23, 2014, 07:33:08 am »

So why were we not leaking loads of goals before he came into the team? 22 in 10 I think it is.

Winston Churchill might not have been great at overall politics but he was a dam good leader. A football match is a battle-and in key positions you need strength and determination over athleticism and general ability.

You can have the greatest mind as a teacher but if they cannot control the class then it's wasted.
Report Spam   Logged
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 23, 2014, 08:32:21 am »

Honestly think that part of the defensive problem lies in midfield.
CW has chopped and changed there so often since the young lad went back to Leicester that you never know who will be playing in there now.
With a defence as frail as ours some protection is needed and on tuesday there was none.
We signed Ravenhill to do this job and he currently languishes on the bench along with others who are our own players. If Wilder is convinced that Cresswell and Robertson at CB is our best available pairing at the moment then Ricky should start as well imo.
He is streets better than JJ who just fouls constantly  , he breaks up play and fights for everything. Attributes which were sadly lacking v Oxford.
Report Spam   Logged
j20cobbler

« Reply #192 on: October 23, 2014, 10:53:44 am »

So why were we not leaking loads of goals before he came into the team? 22 in 10 I think it is.

Winston Churchill might not have been great at overall politics but he was a dam good leader. A football match is a battle-and in key positions you need strength and determination over athleticism and general ability.

You can have the greatest mind as a teacher but if they cannot control the class then it's wasted.
I'm not disagreeing with your point about Archer being quiet but I dont think we necessarily need Churchill in goal either. Was/is Duke overly demonstrative in organising his defence? I'm not so sure. I think the greater fault lies with the defence in front of him (and as the previous poster says, the holding midfield). If any of our defenders really need telling how to go about their jobs past a general encouragement or being told the opposition have a free man at a set piece or how many the is required in a wall, then I think its they who should be being criticised.

Report Spam   Logged
Monkey

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #193 on: October 23, 2014, 12:13:48 pm »

I put more blame on the defence to be honest. Where as on Tuesday, Archer's positioning was dreadful, it was no worse than Robertson who allowed the free header by ball watching and letting Hylton drop off his shoulder.
Not a lot Archer could have done about the other 2 other than teach Alfei how to be a better right back.
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 23, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »

Funny isn't it, when we score a goal you never hear someone say how the opposition defender/goalkeeper made the mistake, we just give full credit to "our" player. When we concede though, totally different set of values. For every goal scored somebody has to be at fault, even if you have to trace it back to the kick-off. Archer has conceded a lot of goals but how many of those goals could we have expected him to save and how many exceptional saves has he made that we would have expected other goalkeepers to concede? Has he ever dropped the ball into his own net like Dunn? Has he ever stayed ion his line when he should have come out like Harper? How many has he made a complete balls up colliding with another player like Abbey?
I'm not defending him, I haven't seen him enough to do that but if nobody ever made a mistake all games would end up 0-0 and after a few weeks of that you should shut the North stand as well as the East.
Report Spam   Logged

bri77

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 23, 2014, 12:47:03 pm »

I don't think Archer is a bad keeper but it very much looks like the defence doesn't have a lot of faith in him which is a problem. It could be this that has made us collectively so poor at the back rather than Archer not being good enough.
Report Spam   Logged
NaggerPagger

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2014, 14:43:36 pm »

Funny isn't it, when we score a goal you never hear someone say how the opposition defender/goalkeeper made the mistake, we just give full credit to "our" player. When we concede though, totally different set of values. For every goal scored somebody has to be at fault, even if you have to trace it back to the kick-off. Archer has conceded a lot of goals but how many of those goals could we have expected him to save and how many exceptional saves has he made that we would have expected other goalkeepers to concede? Has he ever dropped the ball into his own net like Dunn? Has he ever stayed ion his line when he should have come out like Harper? How many has he made a complete balls up colliding with another player like Abbey?
I'm not defending him, I haven't seen him enough to do that but if nobody ever made a mistake all games would end up 0-0 and after a few weeks of that you should shut the North stand as well as the East.

Good point he has not dropped any balls in his own goal but that would be a bit difficult though as he doesn't normally get within 6 foot of the thing.

Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2014, 08:44:30 am »

Good point he has not dropped any balls in his own goal but that would be a bit difficult though as he doesn't normally get within 6 foot of the thing.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2014, 11:36:02 am »

One of those free kicks near the edge of the box towards the end at Luton, the wall was clearly set up too far to the right with room to both sides. He clearly wanted and needed the wall to move left but couldn't actually make himself heard - nuff said.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #199 on: October 28, 2014, 12:27:23 pm »

One of those free kicks near the edge of the box towards the end at Luton, the wall was clearly set up too far to the right with room to both sides. He clearly wanted and needed the wall to move left but couldn't actually make himself heard - nuff said.

I heard Archer quite clearly call for the ball at Luton! Nobody on here has actually identified the goals he is definitely responsible for....yet. Always Dark now you have found a new moral stance in recent posts why don't you start to defend Archer? He needs some moral support on here Cool
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: