The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 01:59:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

John Joe O'Toole

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Joe O'Toole  (Read 24051 times)
DaynFreeman

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: August 09, 2014, 19:34:07 pm »

Thoughts and views on John Joe O'Toole after todays game? Fit, good enough, interested, quick enough etc!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Alwaysdark

Isn't it good to be lost in the wood?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 19:46:23 pm »

Quality. 56 minutes played and a boo boy has been found. Well done.
Report Spam   Logged

In the sad town
cold iron hands clap
the party of clowns outside.
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 19:52:39 pm »

Spent an hour running into a yellow wall.

Today's formation could well work away from home but somehow we must find a way to include JJ in a home formation. 3-5-2 is the answer for me, and we have the players to do that .

It's very early days but it's already crystal clear that Wilder will rightly pick him from the off every week...he's too good and too expensive not to be factored in.

The issue is is that we must not build a team around him, to the detriment of his team mates. We saw today how the side was much better once Toney replaced him but that was because of the formation change and Toneys obvious qualities.

So in summary. Away from home, no issue. However at home Wilder has some serious thinking to do!
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 19:55:06 pm »

Clearly a good footballer and I'm sure after 10 games we'll be able to form a more rounded view.

Today's game was difficult for him given Mansfields hoofball.
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 20:12:35 pm »

Sound words chaps.

Our own hoof ball tactics to the line Richards in the first half wasn't helping JJ's case either. He'll fit in fine with the supporters once he scores a few classy goals, sets up a few and people accept his languid style.
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 20:15:19 pm »

I would not call JJOT languid. That was Constantine! Nonchalant is the word I would use!
Report Spam   Logged
Cobblerzz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 20:16:08 pm »

It's topics like this that allow people to have a dig at him after one game.

I went to the Sheff U friendly and he was by far our best player. Today he was off it a bit our formation didn't help us as they crowded the centre as much as possible.

I don't agree with the away from home comment either. Think it can work at home but it's hard against Mansfield with 3 centre halves, 2 wing backs and 2 centre midfielders. Made no space in the middle. Other teams will go 442 etc which will help us.

I do think 3412 be the best formation to accommodate all players. However against teams like Mansfield we need to grind it out and win as a team and that's what we did today.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 20:19:29 pm »

I can't agree that we played any hoofball today. We went direct at times but much of our play was through midfield.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2235

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 20:30:14 pm »

I'm sure he will have better days. The most telling thing was CW making the correct decision to take him off.
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 20:38:45 pm »

I can't agree that we played any hoofball today. We went direct at times but much of our play was through midfield.

We hoofed quite a few aimless balls up during the first half. Second half with Toney on and Richards working off him those balls seemed to be better placed. All about opinions though thankfully.
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 20:51:29 pm »

Agree Ralph, thought we were very laboured in the first half and O'Toole wasn't involved and when he did get the ball often made the wrong choice. But hopefully early days and his quality will shine through.
Report Spam   Logged
Razor

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 21:06:06 pm »

The thing I don't understand is we finally have an attacking midfielder with a good goalscoring record and we sacrifice a striker in order to fit him into the team! It's one step forwards and two back with that mentality IMO - We were so much better with 2 up front second half.

It's obviously too early to judge O'Toole after one game but I have a feeling he'll be far more effective attacking from midfield with two strikers ahead of him rather than playing as a 'false' second striker. Wouldn't have killed him to applaud the fans who were clapping him off when he was substituted though would it? Carter and Hackett seemed to manage it okay...
Report Spam   Logged
DaynFreeman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 21:56:10 pm »

Solid opinions, bar the first comment, thanks guys Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Just another moaner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 22:34:48 pm »

His first touch was poor. His distribution was poor. He was second to all but a few balls..

Not a boo boy. Just the truth. Next week he could have a blinder and someone else might be shyte. It's almost as if it football.

Well it is league two football
Report Spam   Logged
j20cobbler

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 23:21:21 pm »

Languid is exactly how I would describe him. Its early days but would probably achieve more behind two strikers.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 23:29:03 pm »

We won, he played a part and we move on to next week where he will problebly smash 2 in.... 👍
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 00:04:39 am »

We won, he played a part and we move on to next week where he will problebly smash 2 in.... 👍

Against Wolves? I certainly hope so.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 01:11:03 am »

York...... Wink let the haters, hate!
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 11:11:11 am »

For the first time since (probably) Calderwood's era we have got a squad with genuine 'two players for each position' style competition for places, which can play multiple formations with multiple personnel options in each position.

O'Toole will have to be on his game else he'll be on the bench, as the manager doesn't appear to be the kind who has 'undroppable' players.

There were some seriously decent players who either didn't get in to the 18 or were only subs yesterday. This bodes well.
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 11:11:38 am »

I think you can see why he frustrates his own support. Some of it probably is his style and he is clearly never going to bust a gut and charge around the park. As a result he looks disinterested at times even though that may not be the case.

He had a poor game yesterday though. That's a truth and as much as some people might love a boo boy, some others like to overly defend a player they feel others are targeting. He did not play well.

What did please me is that Wilder was willing to take him off. He was the obvious choice on the day but it was a brave choice (given JJ's temperament and that he's invested so much money in him) and he didn't bottle it.

I have seen him twice now, including Sheff Utd, and he hasn't impressed me either time. He clearly is capable at this level though and I am sure he can come good given time. As long as Wilder isn't pandering to him at the detriment of the team then there is no problem. If he is good enough he will be in on merit.

He did look a bit fat and had a full back sweat on after about ten minutes as well though.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: