The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 07:58:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Shrewsbury match thread

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shrewsbury match thread  (Read 5076 times)
TbananaG

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 06:53:33 am »

Credit to the ref - havin seen the highlights, it's a damn good spot for the Lawrence red card. Couldn't see it at the time, but it's an old pro trying to sneak in a crafty stamp.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 08:19:33 am »

Jesus, man up and get a grip! Lack of goals in the team? Richards, JJ, Sinclair, Carter, Langers, Diamond, Toney (what little he has played) KMO, Hackett all know where the net is. Second of all we have had a tough string of games, York, Wolves, Pompy away and Shrews at home are not easy. We have scored in the dying embers of the game twice....the complete reverse to what we are used too. We have a manager who performed the great escape last season, so calm the hell down. If we had lost all four of them games, they are all very good teams, on form and with good managers, so it would no have been a car crash by any means. Fact is we have got two points by digging in and scrapping it out with a poor show. That aint bad. The next three LEAGUE games I feel will give us a good picture of where abouts we are in terms of needing to strengthen or expectations for the season. Glad Emile bagged this game. Next game give the b team a run out and let the lads rest!!!

A very fair and truthfull post, you are right of course these were all good teams who should do well, it wiil be tight again in this division, no reason why, come the end of the season we won't be there with them.
Report Spam   Logged
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 08:25:57 am »

Jesus, man up and get a grip! Lack of goals in the team? Richards, JJ, Sinclair, Carter, Langers, Diamond, Toney (what little he has played) KMO, Hackett all know where the net is. Second of all we have had a tough string of games, York, Wolves, Pompy away and Shrews at home are not easy. We have scored in the dying embers of the game twice....the complete reverse to what we are used too. We have a manager who performed the great escape last season, so calm the hell down. If we had lost all four of them games, they are all very good teams, on form and with good managers, so it would no have been a car crash by any means. Fact is we have got two points by digging in and scrapping it out with a poor show. That aint bad. The next three LEAGUE games I feel will give us a good picture of where abouts we are in terms of needing to strengthen or expectations for the season. Glad Emile bagged this game. Next game give the b team a run out and let the lads rest!!!
Its not a matter of getting a grip 150, its all about opinions and compared to the four teams we have played so far mine is that we are just not up to speed. Wasn't this supposed to be the season where we kicked on and turned up against the better sides? On paper this squad looks very good and we should be beating the likes of York and Shrewsbury not scratting around for a point.
For long periods of the second half yesterday we were without a clue as to how to break down a team with ten men. They out thought us and out played us. As for goals , 3 in 4 ? and very few shots on target ? Maybe you can see something that I and an awful lot of the West stand couldn't yesterday if the groans were anything to go by , if so I hope you're right.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 09:11:11 am »

I remember about 10yrs ago we had about 9 or 10 sent off in a season and I don't think we lost a single one of those games
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 09:18:09 am »

Liked when Ravenelli came on, went straight up to have a 'quiet' word in the ear of their ginger No4. Couple of minutes later following a 'good' tackle between the two, No4 was almost pleading with Rav to shake his hand. Rav gave him the thousand yard stare, No 4 was quieter after that.....
Unfortunately JJ doesn't appear to provide that side of the game...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest48

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 09:29:15 am »

Liked when Ravenelli came on, went straight up to have a 'quiet' word in the ear of their ginger No4. Couple of minutes later following a 'good' tackle between the two, No4 was almost pleading with Rav to shake his hand. Rav gave him the thousand yard stare, No 4 was quieter after that.....
Unfortunately JJ doesn't appear to provide that side of the game...
Had to smile yesterday when their No.4 , who had been kicking and fouling from the minute he came on , got booked for kicking the ball away. Some one near me also pointed out that the ref made a big fuss about their guy taking a corner an inch outside the D but let every throw be taken 10 yards up the pitch.
   Whilst on the subject of throws , how many foul throws did their right back do but not get pulled for any of them ?
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 09:41:41 am »

Whilst on the subject of throws , how many foul throws did their right back do but not get pulled for any of them ?

I agree, unfortunately that was the method being used and allowed during the WC and during European Competitions last season even though the Law states:
At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower: delivers the ball from behind and over his head
Not in front, as was demonstrated yesterday by the player who bends from the waist on delivery that, whilst technically is from the top of the head, is  not 'over' it.

Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2014, 10:34:53 am »

That's no different to every other season. Nothing has been said that would indicate that we were going to be particularly good against specific sides.

We are a few game into the season and already there's a pack of degenerates who want instant gratification. Ask Oxford supporters about Wilder. The ones I know say many things about him, none of them suggesting he is impulsive or rash. He has been given the job of assembling a squad, on an middle to slightly above average budget to get us out of this league. He's the type of manager that is more than capable of that given the time and support to do so.

I thought we was all over them until the sending off. Like so many times that I have witnessed in football, the sending off worked against the team with eleven men. They immediately reverted to effectively two lines of defence, inviting us on and hoping to hit us on the break. Everyone on here knows how difficult that is to play against.Especially as invariably the crowd start to get on your back. Forget all all the smart @rses saying they'd of done this and that, it's fcuking hard work to break down a side who have no intention of coming out at you. Week in week out you will see multi million pound premier league sides falling at the feet of exactly the same tactics from lesser teams. The mighty Blooooze won the Champions League using it as a tactic.

At the start of the season most sensible people would have accepted a steady mid table position with a possible flirt with the play offs. A few games into to season and the idiots are off on one.

I know I'm wasting my time. But please try to give Wilder a real decent crack at the whip. If we are dropping like stone in six months I'll have a nag with you. But give the poor fcuker a chance. He's a decent guy trying to put together a capable side.
Point taken TFAMH and I fully intend to give this squad and Wilder a fair crack of the whip. That wont stop me saying they were poor if they were though and yesterday for long periods they were just that. The ten men analogy doesn't work for me either , we just failed to modify our own strategy to cope with it. Plenty of teams thrash others who are reduced to ten every week throughout the leagues.
Its also good to get a bit of a debate going on here about something other than the redevelopment.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2014, 10:47:42 am »

Yesterday kind of proved that you cannot start a game...home or away...without a holding midfielder.

It's all well and good playing an attack minded team but if it hasn't got the ball it's no use. Even against 10 men for two thirds of the match, we had less possession that our opponents.

On Bungles thread I made the point that we had to go backwards with the subs because Wilder had shown his entire hand with the starting line up. Was it a confidence that we actually scored with a more defensive team at the end and even nearly ended up nicking a win?

We had 2 wingers and 2 attacking midfielders who both have good scoring records in our midfield. I have no doubt that we have the players to find the net regularly, all Wilder has to work out is how we can make it happen for us this season...
Report Spam   Logged
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2014, 11:33:14 am »

^^ not trying to develop a get out strategy for your 80 goals claim are you drillers?
Report Spam   Logged

Alwaysdark

Isn't it good to be lost in the wood?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2014, 11:37:33 am »

Yesterday kind of proved that you cannot start a game...home or away...without a holding midfielder.

We had a holding midfielder but he just happened to be a number ten out of position. Credit to Shrewsbury yesterday for defending their 18 yard box tightly so we could not get a single through ball to feet. I would have taken a draw before the game yesterday but nothing less than a convincing win against a very poor Exeter will do next Saturday.
Report Spam   Logged

In the sad town
cold iron hands clap
the party of clowns outside.
Alan Partridge

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2014, 11:43:15 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4lUz6gZpdE&list=UU3Gsny6v5RKGCN3VFbH5mGw
Report Spam   Logged

Free to enter daily Postcode Lottery:

http://freepostcodelottery.com/?ref=241429
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2014, 11:55:40 am »

great ball for their goal
Report Spam   Logged

ntfclad

View Profile
Windows User Search Combination
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2014, 14:01:56 pm »

I really, really want Lawson D'Ath to start a game. Purposeful, direct runner and has a good level of quality about him.

I think yesterday we were the better team until the sending off, most of the play was in their half, and there seemed to be more space to work the ball into against the 11. Those gaps closed up after the red card, and we found it much harder to break them down. Every time we got around their penalty area, the play seemed to slow down with no real runners in behind their defence.

Thought Collins and Goldson looked good for them, and when they attacked they attacked quickly. Duke pushing one of their shots on to the bar was an absolutely phenomenal save. Good ball from D'Ath and a good run from Sinclair to get on the end of it, hopefully he's been put on the transfer list to give him a boot up the arse. I still like him and think he could be good for us.

Right back is still a problem, we don't have anyone that can play there effectively at the moment.

All in all, a good point, and we'll know a lot more about where we are after the next four winnable games.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 14:04:49 pm by ntfclad » Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2014, 15:52:00 pm »

To be fair to Tozer it looks like his heels were clipped rather than a slip. It should really have been a free kick.
Report Spam   Logged
Alan Partridge

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2014, 16:06:52 pm »

To be fair to Tozer it looks like his heels were clipped rather than a slip. It should really have been a free kick.

That was Diamond. Tozer was the one making the dodgy back pass in the lead up to that!
Report Spam   Logged

Free to enter daily Postcode Lottery:

http://freepostcodelottery.com/?ref=241429
guest47

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2014, 16:14:14 pm »

That was Diamond. Tozer was the one making the dodgy back pass in the lead up to that!

Oh - whoops!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2235

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2014, 17:33:03 pm »

I was right in line and thought that was a clear foul on Diamond. Wilder not moaning about it so maybe he just tripped himself up.
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2014, 19:26:00 pm »

Did anyone else think that Duke was lucky to get away with coming out his area with the ball.  I was 80 yards away and saw it!
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2014, 19:41:16 pm »

Did anyone else think that Duke was lucky to get away with coming out his area with the ball.  I was 80 yards away and saw it!

Despite not knowing the difference between Tozer and Diamond invalidating my judgement, I thought Duke was well out of his area. I reckon the tip i toe dramatics saved him.
By the way did he get a touch to the 1966 style hitting the bar shot? If so, that was a great save.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: