The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 11:41:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Exeter City 30/8/14

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exeter City 30/8/14  (Read 5861 times)
bungle

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2014, 20:24:44 pm »

We just cannot accommodate JJ in a 4-4-2. It's like playing with 10 men.

This.

Personally, as I've said before, I'd play 4-5-1 with O'Toole or 4-4-2 with Toney. I don't see much potential in the partnership between Richards and Sinclair (although the latter put in a decent shift today and deserved his little ovation).

Toney is clearly an exceptional talent but it's too much to ask an 18 year old to start two games a week every week. Play 4-5-1 and then bring Toney on for O'Toole/Richards around the 60 minute mark - he's the ultimate game changing option.

The problem with O'Toole is that his reputation and wage packet make him virtually undroppable. He needs to start producing for us though, because at the moment I'd choose Ravenhill over him. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 20:35:39 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
betamax toploader

THAT MONEY WAS THERE FOR OUR CLUB

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2014, 20:35:33 pm »

Tozer's throws aren't ever going to please the football purists, but they do deliver the ball directly to the danger area. Against teams short in stature like Exeter, they are a potent weapon.
Oh. and short corners rarely end well.
I cannot disagree with any of this, but Tozer will never be an effective full back.
Report Spam   Logged

To baldly go where no Betamax has gone before...
guest47

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2014, 20:50:50 pm »

Tozer's throws aren't ever going to please the football purists, but they do deliver the ball directly to the danger area. Against teams short in stature like Exeter, they are a potent weapon.
Oh. and short corners rarely end well.

Agree, it's strange that many seem to prefer long corners but short throws. His throws should be more effective than corners as they come from a better angle making it tougher for the keeper to intercept.
It's his long throws down the line that should be used more often. They can turn defence into an effective counter-attack so quickly.
Report Spam   Logged
Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2014, 21:18:50 pm »

It's his long throws down the line that should be used more often. They can turn defence into an effective counter-attack so quickly.

Agreed, especially as you can't be offside from a throw-in. A throw from the half-way line over the defenders heads could reach Hackett near the byline.
Report Spam   Logged
Adam-NTFC

View Profile
Windows User
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2014, 00:27:53 am »

I cannot disagree with any of this, but Tozer will never be an effective full back.

So you're saying that you thought his performance before Collins got injured was ineffective then...

Bombing up and down the right side with Hackett and putting in decent balls not promising enough for you? He's a huge improvement on Alfei and all he has to do is work on his positioning which comes with experience. He definitely has the stamina and pace to do an effective job at right back. As well as the defensive skill that came from his youth playing centrally.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2016
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2014, 01:06:41 am »

We're the greatest team in the world.....
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2014, 01:11:37 am »

We're becoming the Man Utd of League 2. No bad thing.
no way John we actually win games...
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2014, 06:34:42 am »

I'm not one for getting on player's backs, but I have to say I've been really disappointed by O'Toole so far. I appreciate he isn't a box to box type of midfielder but the lack of apparent effort is a worry. I wouldn't mind if he was delivering the goods in terms of killer balls or efforts on goal but he isn't. As others have said, maybe he is only effective in a more forward position. If that's the case we either have to pay him there or drop him,  because trying to accommodate him elsewhere just isn't working.

I was sitting close to the dugout yesterday and Wilder was constantly having to direct and cajole him throughout the game. I think the yell of "Get on the pitch, John Joe!" was particularly telling!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 07:04:28 am »

So you're saying that you thought his performance before Collins got injured was ineffective then...

Bombing up and down the right side with Hackett and putting in decent balls not promising enough for you? He's a huge improvement on Alfei and all he has to do is work on his positioning which comes with experience. He definitely has the stamina and pace to do an effective job at right back. As well as tensive skill that came from his youth playing centrally.
o

I think he was a left back in his youth, when the toon signed him. I also think he should have enough experience now, the amount of games he has played......don't just build him up for the sake of making a flawed point.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 07:36:14 am »

Tozer is our best right back by a distance. His work with Hackett down the right in the first half was excellent and he was also highly competent at centre back after Collins went off. Two things seem to annoy people about him - the long throw (great weapon) and also that he's a very nice and intelligent young man (not your typical footballer). Perhaps he'd be better accepted if he swore more and got in a few street brawls, got himself a curfew?
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2014, 07:40:16 am »

Tozer is our best right back by a distance. His work with Hackett down the right in the first half was excellent and he was also highly competent at centre back after Collins went off. Two things seem to annoy people about him - the long throw (great weapon) and also that he's a very nice and intelligent young man (not your typical footballer). Perhaps he'd be better accepted if he swore more and got in a few street brawls, got himself a curfew?

All very true.
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2014, 07:47:12 am »

It also shows the turnover of players, as Ben is the sole player left from Anfield.

At right back he had a few games when he has been ripped one by a winger, but then again sure opposition fans moan at their full backs when Hackett and Mohamed rip them.

Report Spam   Logged
Heyford

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2014, 08:22:02 am »

accepted

Perhaps he'd be better accepted if he didn't cost us so many goals.
Report Spam   Logged
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2014, 08:29:54 am »

My fourth game yesterday and there is no doubt that the team are gradually improving.
Although Exeter were a poor side we showed real intent during the second half and
deserved our win.
On the down side , like others I cant really see the point of O'Toole as a standard midfielder and was disappointed by his effort. Some of his passing was poor as well and he just seemed disinterested. If Carter is fit again I would prefer him alongside Byrom.
D'Ath impressed as well when he came on , is Alfei still injured or have we sent him back ?
Thought Ben was very good yesterday and you have to be impressed with his versatility although even he admitted on the radio its not always an advantage when it comes to a regular place in the team.
Still believe we need another striker though , our goal threat is still limited and if Nichols does go out I wouldnt want to rely on Sinclair as the only realistic option too much.
We will see what happens on monday.... if anything.
Came away feeling encouraged. UTC    
Report Spam   Logged
j20cobbler

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2014, 08:38:18 am »

Lots of posts ignoring the fact that Exeter were really poor, and we should not have had to wait until the 90 minute before scoring from a long throw (great finish though it was) and scraping a 1-0 win.
Report Spam   Logged
ntfclad

View Profile
Windows User Search Combination
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2014, 09:08:45 am »

Just because it was 1-0 doesn't mean it was a scrape.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2014, 09:28:12 am »

accepted

Perhaps he'd be better accepted if he didn't cost us so many goals.

Hmmm...wonder how Tozer's ratio of games played to goals gifted compares with Alfei's?
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2014, 09:37:01 am »

It was a far better spectacle than the 1:0 wins we "scrapped" under Boothroyd.  If we can put down some good home form (Wilder's nemisis at Oxford) and continue to play attacking football with Hackett, Mohamed and Toney it will hopefully start to put "bums on seats".
Report Spam   Logged
Cobblerzz

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2014, 09:37:44 am »

I would have Alfei over Tozer at the right back slot. Everytime the ball goes near him I panic but with Alfei I don't. Tozer has advantages over Alfei with throw ins and his size.

I am happy for either to play and I have no problem in some slight rotation.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2014, 09:38:36 am »

Ideally, I think O'Toole needs to play off a target man who can supply him with lay offs around the box (a bit like Bayo used to do for Guttridge).
At Bristol he had Matt Harrold to play off, but Rico, for all his considerable strengths, isn't really a back-to-goal type of player.

The thing is, I'm really not sure it's worth building our entire system around him. In Hackett and Mohammed we have arguably two of the paciest, most dangerous wingers in this league. IMO, our game plan should be based primarily on getting the ball out to them quickly, counter-attacking at pace and then getting bodies in the box to get on the end of their crosses. O'Toole should have been busting a gut to get on the end of those first half deliveries, but I'm not sure he has it in him to be a genuinely box-to-box midfielder.

It's early days and it might be that we need to keep experimenting until we find a winning formula. It will be interesting to see what Wilder does when Carter gets back to full fitness.  

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: