The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 04:39:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Squad tinkering

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Squad tinkering  (Read 4747 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:55:29 am »

Ok. So we've seen the team play 7 times this season which is a fair amount of times to be to able to start assessing the sides shortcomings. So where should CW look to bring in reinforcements (if any) to take us through the next couple of months and speed up the evolution process?

Personally I would like to see him work with the group we've got for the time being. Even with injuries we've always had decent options on the bench...that said IF a top notch enforcer type could be recruited (RR is the only one we've got and he's not that good) then that could improve us no end.

It's no coincidence that we've scored both our goals in the last two home games with him on the pitch, this despite him making the midfield look more defensive on paper. We are giving away too much possession without him because we struggle to win the ball back with the type of midfield unit that's started those two games.

I believe that the strikers we have are all capable of scoring lots of goals but we need to find the right balance behind them to maximise the sides scoring potential.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:12:23 pm »

I think our biggest lack of cover could become defence.

If Collins is injured and assuming Horwood is c. 2 weeks away, and Langmead is going to be short of match fitness, means back four would be

Alfei, Diamond, Tozer, Robertson with only Connor Roberts as cover.  I suppose we could go 5 at the back with Hackett and Mohamed as very offensive wing backs?
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 14:31:23 pm »

Thinking of defenders, and our terrible injury record over the past few years, I just had the thought that I can't ever remember Tozer missing a match through injury? Surely he must have done at some point, but it must be very rare.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 18:03:09 pm »

Quality right back and a big nasty target man....
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Razor

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 18:49:16 pm »

I think it's clear from Wilder and Knill's comments in interviews that the budget has already been (over)spent.

We're done making signings unless someone leaves.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 08:54:45 am »

I am pretty happy with the squad we have. It needs time to settle and will improve as the season goes on, I believe.

I'd agree that Ravenhill is an important player and it's no accident that we retain possession better with him on the field. I think he's a 'must play' member of the squad.

When Horwood, Langmead, Alfei and Carter get back we've got genuine competition for places all over the field.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 09:18:02 am »

I think we are an old head in midfield and a nippy striker away from a promotion bid.
We lack a goal poacher to put a few tap ins into the net.
Report Spam   Logged
Clint

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 09:41:28 am »

I think we have a pretty decent bunch, too. In general we haven't been playing brilliantly, yet we're picking up points through battling on to the bitter end, and now Rico's broken his duck and the lad Toney is looking good.
It's going to take a bit longer for things to gel, but at the moment I'm quietly optimistic (quick nurse, the valium).
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 10:00:11 am »

I think we are an old head in midfield and a nippy striker away from a promotion bid.
We lack a goal poacher to put a few tap ins into the net.

ravenhill and toney

next
Report Spam   Logged
Baby Bear

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 10:12:39 am »

Ravenhill is s***.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 10:16:29 am »

100% disagree.

For the first time in ages I wouldn't actually say any of our squad is s*** (except maybe Siddiqi but he doesn't count).
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 11:43:29 am »

Cover for Ravenhill, which I don't think we will get as its hard to get a young player of that mould and we are only likley to get a loan.

Right back seems to be the main area of worry though, Alfie has had a shaky start but seems to be rated by his previous clubs. Hopefully he will pick up as the season goes on.

Report Spam   Logged

guest48

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 11:45:44 am »

100% disagree.

For the first time in ages I wouldn't actually say any of our squad is **** (except maybe Siddiqi but he doesn't count).
Typical of our fans, the lad hasn't even played yet and he's already getting a slagging off   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 12:44:04 pm »

Personally, I would consider making one signing: big targetman who we can throw on as a 'kitchen sink' option if we're chasing a game and have to go direct. Still, even that might be redundant if Langers returns to full fitness.

Right back remains an issue. Tozer is currently the best option there and he's fine unless playing against the four-five wingers at this level who have genuine pace, trickery and end product. Leon Mcsweeney is still a free agent and IMO looked very solid last year- perhaps we should send Alfei back and offer him a deal?

Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 13:13:37 pm »

Typical of our fans, the lad hasn't even played yet and he's already getting a slagging off   Smiley

Haha, I'll be absolutely stunned if Siddiqi ever appears in a first team game.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 13:14:34 pm »

Ref the right back debate, let's not forget Connor Roberts is now a professional so should be considered part of the first team squad. Develop our own and all that.
Report Spam   Logged
Baby Bear

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 15:19:44 pm »

How do we retain possession better with Ravenhill on the park, when he can't pass water?!!!? I do wonder what the hell some of you watch at times.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 15:43:05 pm »

How do we retain possession better with Ravenhill on the park, when he can't pass water?!!!? I do wonder what the hell some of you watch at times.

Its more to do with the fact that when we don't have the ball, theres no sod in the middle of the park who can win it back!

If we could break down opposition attacks before they properly start, we could counter much more effectively..hence the need to have a Ravenhill or a player similar but better.

I noticed both on Saturday and last week that when we lost the ball in the final third, the opposition were able to get it back to their final third without any real difficulty.

Once Ravenhill came on, that was not the case...and we therefore ended up with MORE possession. Remember Warren Donald? Non league after he left us. But did that job effectively in a championship winning team.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 15:48:34 pm by DrillingCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 16:06:34 pm »

Have to agree with this. Even as far down as the Conference, there's little room for a player whose only attributes...are getting in opposition players faces!
Report Spam   Logged
Ryan Amoo 14

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 16:07:36 pm »

Have to agree with this. Even as far down as the Conference, there's little room for a player whose only attributes...are getting in opposition players faces!

Plenty in the Premier League too...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: