The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:50:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Squad tinkering

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Squad tinkering  (Read 4707 times)
lodgeadam

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 21:18:40 pm »

Remember Warren Donald?

... No, I don't.
Report Spam   Logged

--- 'Shoe Army' is THE worst chant ever! --- Twitter @lodgeadam
Baby Bear

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 22:07:41 pm »

Its more to do with the fact that when we don't have the ball, theres no sod in the middle of the park who can win it back!

If we could break down opposition attacks before they properly start, we could counter much more effectively..hence the need to have a Ravenhill or a player similar but better.

I noticed both on Saturday and last week that when we lost the ball in the final third, the opposition were able to get it back to their final third without any real difficulty.

Once Ravenhill came on, that was not the case...and we therefore ended up with MORE possession. Remember Warren Donald? Non league after he left us. But did that job effectively in a championship winning team.

He wins it, and gives it straight back. Utterly pointless.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 00:49:32 am »

CB - Diamond, Cresswell, Collins, Langmead, Tozer, Robertson

That is pretty ridiculously good isn't it.

CM - Ravenhill, Carter, Byrom, John-Joe, D'Ath, Watson

If Watson turns out to be good, that is pretty ridiculously good isn't it.

How Wilder is going to pick teams from that even with a couple of injuries, plus places on the wings, I will never know.

Are we now going to play 3 at the back? How long is Collins out for? Is Langmead going to get back to his best? Alfei seems to be a bit harshly treated so far by the fans with only a couple of games played (can't make a judgement on that) so will be interested to see what happens with him. Tozer has played well the past few games. (+plus long throw!) Horwood or Robertson? Good delivery vs Solid if unspectacular.

As much as I love O'Toole (very much that kind of Thornton maverick type) and want him to do well, I feel the team would probably work better without him. Carter and Byrom seem very similar, but even with Byrom impressing, I wouldn't be able to drop Carter after his form since Christmas. D'Ath deserves a start. Ravenhill solid.

And Don't even get me started on the strikers.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 00:54:02 am by 606 Parklands_Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49:11 am »

CB - Diamond, Cresswell, Collins, Langmead, Tozer, Robertson

That is pretty ridiculously good isn't it.

CM - Ravenhill, Carter, Byrom, John-Joe, D'Ath, Watson

If Watson turns out to be good, that is pretty ridiculously good isn't it.

collins and langmead injured - tozer isnt good enough

2 untried midfielders, carter injured, ravenhill not selected and JJ flattering to deceive by all accounts.................

next
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 08:50:25 am »

Blimey.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 09:07:55 am »

He wins it, and gives it straight back. Utterly pointless.

I think you've missed the point of what I was saying.

IN ORDER TO GET THE BEST OUT OF THE BALL PLAYERS IN A TEAM YOU NEED TO HAVE THE BALL IN THE FIRST PLACE. I actually agree with you that RR is not 'all that' and even said that a holding midfielder would have been my priority to come in for him. However; we are a better TEAM with him that we are without him as things stand...

SLIGHTLY AMENDED WINSLOW!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:04:59 am by DrillingCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 09:16:43 am »

However; we are a better TEAM without him that we are without him as things stand...
?
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 10:40:41 am »

IN ORDER TO GET THE BEST OUT OF THE BALL PLAYERS IN A TEAM YOU NEED TO HAVE THE BALL IN THE FIRST PLACE. I actually agree with you that RR is not 'all that' and even said that a holding midfielder would have been my priority to come in for him. However; we are a better TEAM with him that we are without him as things stand...

SLIGHTLY AMENDED WINSLOW!

Reference Real Madrid , Best ball players in the world. sold Claude Makelele , Turned to s***.

Or this year , sold Xabi Alonso got  torn up by Real Sociedad.

Does not matter how good you are going forward, If you have no ball winners in midfield. You will lose
Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 11:29:10 am »

Totally agree.

The Man Utd analogy is a good one as well. They've scored 1 goal in 4 league and cup games...despite having about a million attacking players in their side!

Report Spam   Logged
Baby Bear

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 13:37:51 pm »

Difference being, those players you mentioned, are able to win the ball, then pass it on to a teammate, Ravenhill, 80%, of the time, wins it, then gifts it straight back, therefore, rendering him utterly useless.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 13:46:16 pm »

I'd like to see some stats with him in and out of the team.
Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 14:40:47 pm »

Difference being, those players you mentioned, are able to win the ball, then pass it on to a teammate, Ravenhill, 80%, of the time, wins it, then gifts it straight back, therefore, rendering him utterly useless.

It doesn't though. Because if an oppositions attack is broken up by him before it reaches the danger zone (basically his job or the job of a holding midfielder) then possession is won back or at least cleared out of the danger zone via a lump up the pitch to be competed via a 50/50.

Your stat...giving it away 80% of the time...is ridiculous. Although I know you are just making your point. Its probably more like 30% of the time because normally he will just play a short pass to someone who can 'play football'.

Without him/similar in the team, our midfield allows the opposition midfield to walk through it...once its got past the advanced JJ, then it basically has just Byron/anon as Hackett and Mohammad are generally kept out in wide positions. They can double up easily and therefore make advances into our final third.

When RR comes on and replaces JJ, then the midfield two are much tighter and compete with the opposition much better, win the ball and then play it out into wide areas/channel it.

A bit of a long summary but I think it makes sense!
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 15:46:14 pm »

I'd like to see some stats with him in and out of the team.

with him in the team..............
won - some
lost - some
drew - some
scored - yes
conceded - yes

with him out the team................
see above
Report Spam   Logged
Baby Bear

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 16:43:40 pm »

He's rarely capable of passing the ball 10 yards to a teammate, which negates all of your points.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 16:53:08 pm »

He's rarely capable of passing the ball 10 yards to a teammate, which negates all of your points.

I'm not convinced you actually watch the game  .........
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 16:56:02 pm »

He's not that bad. Do you not think wilder who has proved himself to be a good manager at this level would drop him if he gave it away that often?
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 16:58:11 pm »

Rubbish.

I've respected your view and agreed to a degree but clearly you've made your mind up its all his fault when we lose, he never keeps the ball...and you would rather see anyone in for him. Plus you clearly see the game very differently to how I see it.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 17:21:17 pm »

Perhaps someone going to Dagenham, can count RR's completed pass ratio? If he plays of course.
Report Spam   Logged
Baby Bear

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 17:51:46 pm »

He's not that bad. Do you not think wilder who has proved himself to be a good manager at this level would drop him if he gave it away that often?
Pretty sure he hasn't started the last few league games, so yes I would expect a good manager to drop him.....
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 17:58:18 pm »

...he has
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: