The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 17:33:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Next up, Newport Away

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next up, Newport Away  (Read 8334 times)
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2014, 15:53:20 pm »

3-2ft
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Razor

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2014, 15:54:32 pm »

Forget about the comeback that's a piss poor result.

Newport tore us a new one by the sound of it and could have scored at will, very lucky to still be in it at the end.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2014, 15:59:24 pm »

A real shame but more evidence of there being plenty of goals in the team.

Whichever way you look at it, if this team scores 2 it should get something because our back line is very good usually.

2 home games next against non big hitters. Let's see where we sit next Saturday. Onwards and upwards. Remember it's an evolving side, lessons are being taught and learned each week and we cannot expect to win all the time.

Razor...chill out mate and take a positive pill! We will be fine son, we will be fine!
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2014, 16:03:24 pm »

Given K-Mo was out, think it was a mistake not to start d'Ath
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2014, 16:07:03 pm »

Some thoughts.

1. CW needs to decide on a system and stick with it.

Mohammed has arguably been our best player this season and we should have gone for as close to a like-for-like replacement (i.e. D'ath) as possible. It's too much to expect young lads like Toney and Watson to adapt to some kind of weird 4-3-3 system at this stage of their careers.  

Unfortunately, we were playing against a team with a solid 5-3-2 system and pacy wing backs which compounded the problem.

IMO CW needs to stick with 4-5-1, with 4-4-2 with Toney up front as a more attacking variation, regardless of the personnel available.

2. We need consistency at full back and in central midfield.

It bothers me that we're playing two loanees at centre mid when CW had the whole summer to decide on his best midfield. Ravenhill and Carter formed the basis of a team who ended up finishing 6th in the form table - what's wrong with them as a pairing?

The selections at full back have been similarly inconsistent, although this can partly be explained by Horwood's injury and Alfei's poor form. Personally, I think our ideal back four is    Horwood  Cresswell  Diamond  Collins. Hopefully we'll get some consistency here when everybody's back fit.

3. Lawson D'ath > JJ O'Toole

O'Toole might have the bigger reputation and wage packet, but so far D'ath has made far more of an impact. I'd like to see him starting the next game, either in  place of K Mo (if the latter's still injured) or as a deeper lying false nine in place of Toney who may be in need of another rest.

4. This defeat is not the end of the world

We were a linesman's flag away from drawing a game in which we were comprehensively outplayed. That shows considerable spirit and in Marc Richards we have a striker seemingly in a rich vein of form. I reckon CW will learn from this defeat and we'll emerge stronger for the rest of the campaign.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2014, 16:14:00 pm »

A real shame but more evidence of there being plenty of goals in the team.

Whichever way you look at it, if this team scores 2 it should get something because our back line is very good usually.

2 home games next against non big hitters. Let's see where we sit next Saturday. Onwards and upwards. Remember it's an evolving side, lessons are being taught and learned each week and we cannot expect to win all the time.

Razor...chill out mate and take a positive pill! We will be fine son, we will be fine!

Drillers that was pretty poor and comical at times. Newport took their 3 best players off. The reality was that for 2/3rd of the game we were out played and outclassed
Terrible

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2014, 16:16:44 pm »

..and Rico with 5 goals has leveled the most goals scored last season by any player in our side (Carter and Norris)
Report Spam   Logged
A view from the east

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2014, 16:26:27 pm »

Have to agree with Razor , they just didn't turn up for a whole half and that is a big worry.
I know we have injury problems but tinkering with different systems while being unable to play a settled team is costing us.
Also Lawson D'ath should start and JJ should just go somewhere else , preferably a long way away.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2014, 16:27:11 pm »

Some thoughts.

1. CW needs to decide on a system and stick with it.

Mohammed has arguably been our best player this season and we should have gone for as close to a like-for-like replacement (i.e. D'ath) as possible. It's too much to expect young lads like Toney and Watson to adapt to some kind of weird 4-3-3 system at this stage of their careers.  

Unfortunately, we were playing against a team with a solid 5-3-2 system and pacy wing backs which compounded the problem.

IMO CW needs to stick with 4-5-1, with 4-4-2 with Toney up front as a more attacking variation, regardless of the personnel available.

2. We need consistency at full back and in central midfield.

It bothers me that we're playing two loanees at centre mid when CW had the whole summer to decide on his best midfield. Ravenhill and Carter formed the basis of a team who ended up finishing 6th in the form table - what's wrong with them as a pairing?

The selections at full back have been similarly inconsistent, although this can partly be explained by Horwood's injury and Alfei's poor form. Personally, I think our ideal back four is    Horwood  Cresswell  Diamond  Collins. Hopefully we'll get some consistency here when everybody's back fit.

3. Lawson D'ath > JJ O'Toole

O'Toole might have the bigger reputation and wage packet, but so far D'ath has made far more of an impact. I'd like to see him starting the next game, either in  place of K Mo (if the latter's still injured) or as a deeper lying false nine in place of Toney who may be in need of another rest.

4. This defeat is not the end of the world

We were a linesman's flag away from drawing a game in which we were comprehensively outplayed. That shows considerable spirit and in Marc Richards we have a striker seemingly in a rich vein of form. I reckon CW will learn from this defeat and we'll emerge stronger for the rest of the campaign.

Very good postSir!  We were  to open at the back when they counter attacked, we sounded like a bunch of school boy's getting carried away when we were going for goal, You MUST leave some player's back when you go forward! other wise what took place today will happen over and over again.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2014, 16:50:08 pm »

Very good postSir!  We were  to open at the back when they counter attacked, we sounded like a bunch of school boy's getting carried away when we were going for goal, You MUST leave some player's back when you go forward! other wise what took place today will happen over and over again.

' fort the problem was in midfield. - Carter was poor from the off, Gregor was horrendous
Tozer a little unlucky to be subbed. Cud have 6-2 easily. Missed Duke.
Cresswell and Diamond spent much of game arguing with each other.

Either we were p!ss poor or they were supadupa. Still not sure

Mm
Report Spam   Logged

bungle

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2014, 17:14:06 pm »

It sounds from Wilder's interview like Duke might be out be a while - the Hartlepool game at the very least.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2014, 18:10:29 pm »

Weird game - piss poor for an hour - deserved to be 5-0 down - nearly nicked a point. Don't really understand what I've just seen, but I know it was boring as f*** for an hour.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2014, 18:21:03 pm »

A total nothing of a game... Thank God for decent company.

Spot on Tel
Report Spam   Logged

Macc Cobbler

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2014, 21:15:12 pm »

A shocker of a performance ..... accommodating Carter unbalanced the whole team.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2014, 21:58:41 pm »

A shocker of a performance ..... accommodating Carter unbalanced the whole team.

Good job Carter isn't a postman
Report Spam   Logged

phil_in_npton

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2014, 08:11:37 am »

Good Morning

As a Newport supporter I am obviously very pleased with the result yesterday, and had a very nice day!  We all know as football fans that its a roller coaster ride of emotions, and we value small successes greatly as we know disappointment can often only be one match away!
I was expecting a good showing from Newport as the last two games we have improved a lot, but Northampton too have done well so far. Maybe the changes to the Cobblers team was a factor but the first half I was surprised by our dominance which for a change was reflected in the goals scored.
As usual we were made to sweat at the end and a spirited Cobblers comeback and good support nearly saved the day for Town. Another ten minutes and it would likely have been 4-3 to Northampton!
As ever one game doesnt make a season and we both strive to achieve a consistency to give us a successful season. Well done to the large number of travelling fans, all well behaved as far as I am aware. I look forward to the return fixture in the new year and wish you success and good fortune for the rest of the season..

Phil in Northampton
Report Spam   Logged
Alan Partridge

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2014, 08:52:39 am »

Good Morning

As a Newport supporter I am obviously very pleased with the result yesterday, and had a very nice day!  We all know as football fans that its a roller coaster ride of emotions, and we value small successes greatly as we know disappointment can often only be one match away!
I was expecting a good showing from Newport as the last two games we have improved a lot, but Northampton too have done well so far. Maybe the changes to the Cobblers team was a factor but the first half I was surprised by our dominance which for a change was reflected in the goals scored.
As usual we were made to sweat at the end and a spirited Cobblers comeback and good support nearly saved the day for Town. Another ten minutes and it would likely have been 4-3 to Northampton!
As ever one game doesnt make a season and we both strive to achieve a consistency to give us a successful season. Well done to the large number of travelling fans, all well behaved as far as I am aware. I look forward to the return fixture in the new year and wish you success and good fortune for the rest of the season..

Phil in Northampton

I assume that was you with the Up The County banner in the back window of the car?

Think you overtook our bus 2 or 3 times on the way home, were you taking the piss? Evil
Report Spam   Logged

Free to enter daily Postcode Lottery:

http://freepostcodelottery.com/?ref=241429
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2014, 09:05:08 am »

Phil, really enjoyed my visit to Newport yesterday. Got there early enough to watch the Arsenal v Man City game in the Banc pub, watched it with the barman Glynn who's a big Newport and Liverpool fan and very knowledgeable about the game, top bloke.
You completely dominated about 70 mins of the game with your wide blokes ripping us apart for fun. We just weren't on our game at all once the first whistle blew and you went for our throats. Thankfully I was distracted by having a laugh with a mate because until the introduction of D'Ath we hardly looked like scoring. As much as I wanted that third goal it would have been extremely unfair on yourselves if you didn't walk away with the three points.
I'd like to think it'll be a long time before we are so dominated in a game again and they turn up with their right heads on when we meet at Sixfields.
All the best for the season mate.
Report Spam   Logged
Alan Partridge

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2014, 11:47:24 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QRYTkBLkZE&list=UU3Gsny6v5RKGCN3VFbH5mGw
Report Spam   Logged

Free to enter daily Postcode Lottery:

http://freepostcodelottery.com/?ref=241429
bungle

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2014, 11:55:50 am »

Perhaps this is a bit harsh, but I reckon Archer could have got to that second one.

Our second goal was very well worked and for me epitomises what our game should be about this season: play it out wide to the wingers and the full backs and get Rico and Toney in the middle attacking the ball. D'ath and Nicholls should be more than able to deputise for Hackett and K Mo if necessary.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: