The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 01:11:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Fixing the defence

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fixing the defence  (Read 5880 times)
Wolvo

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2014, 15:11:43 pm »

would you rather win 5-4, then lose 5-4 all the way through the season....................or draw every game 0-0?!?

Good point. It was a shambles on Saturday, but had a lad there for the first showing of league two football. Needless to say he absolutely loved it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest49

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2014, 15:36:28 pm »

So in simplistic terms...we need to address the keeper. Address the right back. And even up the outfield players who bring something to the defending party to 5 from 10.

So half a new team, unless you mean drop some in place of the current squad.
Let's not forget that you think the current bunch will win the league, or is there a caveat that we a load more new signings?  Grin

We've got a few injuries but they can't be used as an excuse as every team has them and you only have to look at our bench to see we have a big enough squad. If it's imbalanced then that is a bit of an own goal. DC has been more than supportive with the old cheque book in that regard. Keeper aside I think CW and AK need to sort out some basic defending coaching.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2014, 16:03:37 pm »

Im not suggesting that we throw more money at it, far from it!

1. New right back. Funds would come from sending Afrei back (like for like replacement in terms of cost) OR accommodating the change in-house if that isn't an option (Tozer, Collins when Horwoods fit)
2. We have loads of midfield options, pair one of the current two up (preferably Byron) with RR or Carter or even Tozer (defensive centre midfielder).
3. Use cash saved on sending Archer back on another keeper OR stick Snedker in until Dukes fit.

In my opinion, it just needs tweaking. Lets not panic....before Saturday we had conceded:

0 v Mansfield
1 v York
1 v Shrewsbury
2 v Pompey   
0 v Dagenham
0 v Exeter
3 v Newport **
1 v Hartlepool **
5 v Accrington **

SO 8 FROM 8 before Saturday....Equals 46 over season.

HOWEVER....when we've played with Archer  (**) - its 9 FROM 3.

'ITS 4 FROM 6 WITH DUKE IN GOAL'.

So, as I say lets not panic. Alfei was at fault at York for the goal and again at Pompey. Whilst the two capitulations...Newport and on Saturday...it was plain and simply an issue with both our fullbacks, particularly the right back.

So for me, its a relatively simple fix. And not an expensive one...indeed net it shouldn't cost us anything.

Report Spam   Logged
Adam-NTFC

View Profile
Windows User
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2014, 16:04:06 pm »

Alfei may be a lovely lad but he looks terrified and out of his depth - kindest thing would be to let him go back to Swansea reserves so be can keep his pro footballer dream alive a little longer where nobody's watching.

Because all the 'goalkeeping coaches' will come out if I try to explain why, I'm just going to say that Archer isn't very good.

Happy to take anyone's money on a bet that:
- neither will ever make a Prem start in the future
- both will be playing at a level lower than L2 in three years from now.
So why are they in our team today?

Fair about Archer, I apologise haha
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2016
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2014, 16:14:11 pm »

What p*sses me off but also give me optimism is that of the 13 goals conceded,  I would say 9 have been "given away" rather than via "get opened up,  and of those 9, 7 have been gift wrapped.

Cut out the individual mistakes and we wont be far off.

off the top of my head the 7 were ..... Alfie vs York,  Tozer vs Shrewsbury,  Alfie vs Pompy,  Carter vs Newport,  Creswell vs Hartlepool, Robertson vs Accrington,  Watson vs Accrington,

Add to that not clearing the ball vs Newport (1st goal),  deflection for the 2nd goal (Newport),  Tozer not clearing and Collins getting done for the 5th goal.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 17:01:48 pm by Alfred » Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2014, 16:24:35 pm »

It's a good point mate. As you say, most of the goals have been us throwing the ball into the net and not as you to do with collective defending ...until Saturday (plus  last week to a lesser extent).

I think Saturday was just as much about complacency (as per last week) because both came off the back of excellent performances previously.

However, the common denominator is the keeper. Throw in Bournemouth in the cup (a little unfair as they are a champs side) and it throws further weight behind the theory that he alone totally unsettles the defence. Harsh? Maybe. A coincidence? Possibly.

BUT. We've been solid enough to know what it takes to go back to basics and sort it out without making whole sale changes to the team.
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2014, 16:38:34 pm »

So are we slitting our wrists or not?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2014, 16:58:20 pm »

So are we slitting our wrists or not?  Wink
Perhaps just the one for now.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2014, 17:38:04 pm »

https://vine.co/v/OzBZPBJHJMq
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
defender

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2014, 08:04:59 am »

Fantastic! very good post.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 21:41:25 pm »

Someone print this off and send a copy to Wilder....

Why can't he see the absolute obvious? He lost the plot with tonight's team selection. We've got the players at the club but he's picking the wrong ones...
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 21:47:15 pm »

Stevens
Robertson
Tozer
Cresswell
Alfei
Langmead (Not match fit)
Horwood (Injured)
Diamond (Injured)
Collins (Injured)

Not excusing it, as he signed the majority of those, but there's not a lot of changes you could have made that would improve it massively at present. In hindsight, releasing Doumbe and McSweeney has made us worse off. Maybe you take a chance on the youngster Roberts? I'm not sure what else you can do to address the obvious problems (Right back, Centre back)
Report Spam   Logged
New Dawn Fades

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 21:48:40 pm »

Need Diamond and Langmead back pronto. stick Collins at left back when he`s fit again and for the love of christ find a right back that can defend
Report Spam   Logged

Can of Strongbow, Im a mess
guest48

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 21:54:40 pm »

With the players available at the moment we are limited BUT Tozer must be at right back, Stevens at left back , Cresswell and Langmead in the middle. Alfei has been picked often when he shouldn't have been and Robertson ,who I would have said was a "steady" player ,has been sh*te since the Accrington game and while we're at it bring back Duke. Like a lot have said , Archer is a good keeper but doesn't command the area.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 22:01:10 pm »

We would be down to conceding 0-2 a game if just Duke and Tozer were put back in the team...

As opposed to the 3's,4's and 5's we are getting with the two clowns we've got on loan.

It's not rocket science. If Wilder picks them again on Saturday I do not want him to stay as manager. Because if he picks them again it clearly proves that he hasn't got a clue.

Why is he picking them? Why?!
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 22:05:19 pm »

Stevens looks ok to me.

Tozer always looks vulnerable at right back but he just has to play right now, so bad has the situation got with Alfei. We need a signing here, badly. Letting Mc Sweeney go was a mistake that lots of people on here called at the time.

We seem to have gotten a lot worse defensively since Cresswell signed. Langmead is clearly on the way out in January, probably to free up money for Byram? He is now behind at least four others at centre back which doesn't seem quite right to me.

Archer is just sh*te. Why the F@ck was Duke on the bench? Please! Somebody just explain this to me because I do not f@cking get it.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 22:09:30 pm »

It's totally baffling...

It's got to be a personality thing...because he isn't picking the team on ability that's for sure.

We played rubbish tonight BUT I honestly don't think we'd have lost with Duke and Tozer playing instead of Archer and Duke.

If Alfei was a commodity and your mate had lent you it, you'd just give it him back.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 22:10:22 pm »

The issues seem to have stemmed from Duke and Diamond getting injuries plus Cresswell arriving.
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 22:15:03 pm »

Stevens
Robertson
Tozer
Cresswell
Alfei
Langmead (Not match fit)
Horwood (Injured)
Diamond (Injured)
Collins (Injured)

Not excusing it, as he signed the majority of those, but there's not a lot of changes you could have made that would improve it massively at present. In hindsight, releasing Doumbe and McSweeney has made us worse off. Maybe you take a chance on the youngster Roberts? I'm not sure what else you can do to address the obvious problems (Right back, Centre back)

Duke, Tozer, Cresswell, Langmead and Stevens fills me with a lot more confidence than the selection we got.

And that isn't hindsight, it's exactly what we were discussing on the way down to the ground tonight.

Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 22:17:13 pm »

according to Mainwaring Langmead is a million miles away.

**** me Eric Turner looks like the love child of John Joe O'Toole and Danny Alfei.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: