The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 09:10:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

10 Games in

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Games in  (Read 2974 times)
CordwainerBill

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: September 27, 2014, 20:44:24 pm »

10 games in , 17 points on the board, 5th in the league , 5 points behind the leaders , how are you feeling about it?

Personally, looking at the league it looks healthy and I'm happy with it, having watched most games I feel we have played some pretty poor stuff overall but barring maybe a couple of impressive performances where we showed genuine good promotion form . Although is it my imagination that the rest of the games have finished with our centre backs scampering around up front trying to salvage the game.

All told, I feel that having the ability to put points on the board and play badly is a good trait, certainly for a Cobblers manager so I'm satisfied , with a certain.........alarm.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 20:48:32 pm »

I reckon that we will need at least 48-50 points this season to avoid relegation...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
j20cobbler

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 20:51:01 pm »

Seventeen points is one win or so more than I thought we'd have, and we have scored considerably more goals than i expected us to. Defensively I'm surprised we've conceeded as many as we have given CW's team recruitment and managerial experience at this level.
Report Spam   Logged
DuncanSpeddingsLeftFoot

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 21:00:28 pm »

B+
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 21:20:50 pm »

Content. I rather hoped we would have pushed on quicker (we have the players) BUT with Accrington aside I'm happy. And 3 points bagged last week would have seen us averaging 2 points a game...which I expected.

I have massive belief in this squad. It's the best on paper set of players we've had since 86/87. I just want them to prove it. We are 5th but should be higher. That isn't a moan, it's a fact.

Kick on now boys. And stop dicking about!
Report Spam   Logged
sbedscobb

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 21:25:59 pm »

Best start for many years and a decent squad with depth.
We must be in the top 7 at Christmas .
 Ivan Toney is the best young player
we've ever had, Can we keep hold of him this season?
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 22:32:01 pm »

Pleased with the progress since Wilder took over. Squad looks extremely talented and we have played some excellent football at times. The days of hoofball and playing for set pieces seem to be long gone.

I enjoy the pace and fluidity of the front 4 Wilder likes to deploy.

Only blot on their copy book is the tendency to drop a large aberration defensively which has cost us 3-5 points so far. I'm looking at Newport, Accrington and Shrewsbury as examples.

If we can keep a settled squad and steer clear of more injuries I am optimistic of achieving 17 points or better from the next 10 to keep us in the top 7 for Xmas. Two big games coming up will shape our form for that run though.
Report Spam   Logged
j20cobbler

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 22:39:35 pm »

Shrewsbury?
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 06:23:45 am »

Have only managed to get to the Daggers game so far but liked what I saw.

This season is going as I expected with a mixed bag of results/performamces. Considering how poor the last 5 seasons have been, to be sat in the top 10 after 10 games is pretty much where I thought we would be.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 06:56:15 am »

2 points ahead of schedule ......... still p1ssed at the Accrington result

Given the expectation was "hard to beat" "lack of goals" and that we have pretty much given away 50% of our goals so far this season I would say well on track.

Settle till Jan,  couple of tweeks to balance up the wage bill and the return Nicholls,  Langers and Hornby will be a welcome boost

Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 07:03:06 am »

Bit disappointed, if we're going to be Champions we need to beat teams like Accrington. Guess I'm going to have to settle for automatic.  Tongue Grin
Report Spam   Logged

WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 07:34:14 am »

Very satisfied with where we are and the start we have made; the best start for years. I was hoping to be in and around the top ten first half of the season but I now think the squad we have is better than just top ten. The next two games will be a good barometer of our progress and 4 points or more will be an excellent return and increase the expectation levels further.
I'm sure we'll get stronger defensively and hope the ruddy injuries clear up.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 07:58:11 am »

I am pleased with our start but, we must be tighter in defense than we have been.The ability to score is better than we have for some years, so overall I for one am happy, but I'm still not convinced about our defending, if we come across teams that we can't break down, then I fear we will lose.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 07:59:30 am »

Shrewsbury?

The goal we conceded in that game was a defensive cock up which cost us points.
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 08:27:01 am »

I'm perfectly content with where we are in the league. What I'm happy about is the standard of experienced players we now have dominating the team plus some very talented youngsters. As I've said before, I'm hoping the gelling of these players as a team starts to show itself further on in the season around or shortly after Christmas time when we can hopefully really kick on.

Having said that, if it doesn't happen this season I'll be happy knowing it's still early days in Chris Wilder's time here and next summer he will bolster an already strong squad with one or two more quality players. I'm more than happy to give him, the right man, plenty of time to get it right.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 08:29:12 am »

I think good realistic comments here - points on the board and lots of goals without us being sensational - I think we will get better so every reason for optimism.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 08:32:01 am »

I thinks it's going to be a very tight league with everybody capable of beating each other. It's important not to over react to individual results as I'd be surprised if anybody steamrollers this division, I've been particularly underwhelmed with a lot of the supposed favourites.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 08:35:07 am »

Overall, it's been an impressive start, particularly considering the progress we've made since last season. Accrington was the only truly shocking result - the defeats at Portsmouth and Newport can be put down to the cost of doing business at this level.

The big concern for me is the injury crisis and its impact on both ends of the pitch: can the back four maintain consistency if the personnel is changing every week? Will we continue to score goals without Richards? Another worry is the fact we seem to building a midfield around two loanees - Bryom and Watson - whilst our own players are marginalised (Carter and Ravenhill). Will we be signing one or both in January or will we have to go back to the drawing board?

Anyway, we now have a run of tough games against in form opposition: away at a resurgent Wycombe, home to top-of-the-league Burton and then an always tricky visit to Cheltenham. I feel our squad is talented enough and deep enough to achieve promotion. However, whether we do it or not will depend on fitness, organisation and consistency.

Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 09:45:30 am »

Happy overall and could/should have been a couple of points higher.

If you factor in our extensive injury list it highlights what a solid start this is. Still in two cups as well!
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 21:54:17 pm »

feelgood is feeling good...so far...
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: