The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 01:27:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Barnet away

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barnet away  (Read 8127 times)
bungle

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2010, 16:20:17 pm »

The players are also on the whole, young inexperienced and making mistakes- they ... can only get better as time goes on.

Really? I can name a few players who appear to be going backwards - Johnson springs to mind.

Let's face it: Sammo isn't good enough. That isn't an over reaction based on today; it's a conclusion most of us reached a long time ago. He just doesn't have the tactical nous, pulling power in the transfer market or the coaching skills (i.e. ability to improve players) necessary to be a decent manager at this level. This spate of red cards is worrying: it points to a general malaise in the camp and a fundamental lack of discipline and organisation. I wonder how much we'll flirt with the conference before DC realises he has to make a change.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2010, 16:21:14 pm »

I'm not surprised that you do, however current form and recent precedent suggests that we stand little chance of picking up a respectable haul of points from that run of fixtures. But I'm sure we'll do just fine and dandy in the next few games after that  Wink

The last time I said we had a winnable run of games coming up was after the run of defeats where we had Gillingham, Lincoln, Forest Green, Vale and Barnet coming up, and I was shot down on here for suggesting we should be targeting at least three wins from those 5 games (the only person agreeing with me being Steve Riches as I recall).

We should be targeting at least 3 wins from those 5 games in December as well.
Report Spam   Logged

Whytewell

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2010, 16:22:02 pm »

Sammo has just said on R Nton 'the lack of discipline cost us the game', also that the 5 reds in recent games are 'shocking'.

I've basically been a Sammo supporter, but it gets more and more difficult to sustain that position when he diagnoses the problems well enough, but then totally fails to deliver the solution that should be within the ability of a good manager without needing a penny more money from anywhere.
Report Spam   Logged
Claret Lady

View Profile
Level 5 Apple User Combination
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2010, 16:22:17 pm »

I'm not laying into Sammo at all - I'm just saying whatever the problems are they need sorting before we end up at the bottom of the table and that is down to the players and the manager.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2010, 16:24:20 pm »

Sammo has just said on R Nton 'the lack of discipline cost us the game', also that the 5 reds in recent games are 'shocking'.

I've basically been a Sammo supporter, but it gets more and more difficult to sustain that position when he diagnoses the problems well enough, but then totally fails to deliver the solution that should be within the ability of a good manager without needing a penny more money from anywhere.

The lack of discipline is arguably down to the lack of experienced heads in the side and the one criticism I'll make of Sammo is that he spent far too much cash on youngsters and we're still missing an experieced head in the middle of the park to hold everything together.
Report Spam   Logged

clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2010, 16:25:00 pm »

He has also admitted he took Leon off "with an eye on Tuesday".

The bloke must be joking. We could play all week and we won't score without Leon on the park.
Report Spam   Logged
BBB

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2010, 16:26:28 pm »

We may or may not have one of the bigger budgets in the division, you cant legislate for having a man sent off after 9 minutes but I dispair of a manager who starts players of the calibre of Thornton & Jacobs on the bench. As Ted said some time ago on another forum, talent should be accomodated.
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2010, 16:28:01 pm »

You don't get it do you? I'm not basing my thoughts on this 90 minutes but the first 17 games of the season.

I appreciatte your concern but you seem to be ignoring my concern. You say "The best candidate after a vigorous selection process (i.e what should have happened last time!)" it should have taken place last time but it didn't and it won't again because Mr Cardoza will once again take the cheep option and six months down the line you will be complaining again. Look at the Bigger picture, Sammo is not the real problem my friend.
Report Spam   Logged
Whytewell

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2010, 16:28:33 pm »

The lack of discipline is arguably down to the lack of experienced heads in the side and the one criticism I'll make of Sammo is that he spent far too much cash on youngsters and we're still missing an experieced head in the middle of the park to hold everything together.

I don't really think that will wash any more, Nut. Holt and Beckwith (redcarded) are really experienced, and Gilligan, who has been around quite long enough to count as experienced, is one of the worst offenders. Nor does Thornton, when picked, offer a particularly good example.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2010, 16:28:50 pm »

He has also admitted he took Leon off "with an eye on Tuesday".

The bloke must be joking. We could play all week and we won't score without Leon on the park.

Exactly- he knew the likelihood was that the game today was a write-off so took Leon off 15 minutes earlier than usual to give us a chance of finding the net on Tuesday. I fail to see what your point is?
Report Spam   Logged

Son Of Geoff

Old T*ts

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2010, 16:33:42 pm »

Exactly- he knew the likelihood was that the game today was a write-off so took Leon off 15 minutes earlier than usual to give us a chance of finding the net on Tuesday. I fail to see what your point is?

Is that acceptable to you? Drawing 1-1 against a team 92nd in the league and the manager writes it off?
Report Spam   Logged

Don't. Talk. Sh*te. Twice.
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2010, 16:34:19 pm »

Is that acceptable to you? Drawing 1-1 against a team 92nd in the league and the manager writes it off?

We were losing 2-1 at half-time.
Report Spam   Logged

GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2010, 16:35:48 pm »

So he took McKenzie off at half time against the bottom club "with Tuesday in mind"...... i'm sure Sammo said once that McKenzie cant do Sat/Tues.
King put in a good shift?? Did anyone else think that?

People still defend the situation....we are third bottom of the fourth division, two points off the bottom, the two teams below us have both beaten us....and both put 4 past us. We are 14 points off the promotion places, after just 17 games!

And talking of those 17 games.....where are the people who stood up for Sammo after the first 4 or 5 games saying its early days...then "give him 10 games"......well now hes had 17 games... and we have 17 points!!!

Finally, I dont get this "inexperienced squad" business..... Hall : 355 lg appearances, Hinton 407, Beckwith 181, Gilligan 171, Holt 442, McKenzie 335. You'd think we had a complete squad of novices!! Sure, the loanees are inexperienced.....however once again, I remember someone once saying we wouldnt go down that route again!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Power Football

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2010, 16:37:17 pm »

I appreciatte your concern but you seem to be ignoring my concern. You say "The best candidate after a vigorous selection process (i.e what should have happened last time!)" it should have taken place last time but it didn't and it won't again because Mr Cardoza will once again take the cheep option and six months down the line you will be complaining again. Look at the Bigger picture, Sammo is not the real problem my friend.

I do agree with what your saying here, but my feelings about Sammo are that he is not getting the best out of a more than capable squad at his disposal and i do believe that another manager could do better than him.
Report Spam   Logged
Son Of Geoff

Old T*ts

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #174 on: November 20, 2010, 16:38:04 pm »

We were losing 2-1 at half-time.

Good point. But anyway, is it acceptable to you? I didn't travel today, but I think the fans who did deserve more that the boss quitting at half-time.
Report Spam   Logged

Don't. Talk. Sh*te. Twice.
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2010, 16:43:19 pm »

He wasn't quitting. Just not putting all his eggs in one basket. McKenzie normally only plays until the hour mark anyway- weighing it up, was he more likely to get us some points by playing 15 minutes today or having some time to recover and giving us another 45 mins in the first half on Tuesday with the score at 0-0 and both teams having 11 men?
Report Spam   Logged

dannygntfc

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2010, 17:08:52 pm »

Gray was sacked after being beaten 4-1 by barnet, and I think it should be the same fate for sammo. We cannot continue giving sammo extra time to prove he is good enough, because at the end of the day he is not! How long do you lot who love sammo so much intend to stick by him? Because if you enjoyed your trip out to Forrest green, you can look forward to visiting a few more pub teams next season. No man management skills, clueless with tactical decisions and useless in the loan Market. Get rid of him now, take a few weeks to decide who is the man who can take us forward. We as a football club deserve better than the shower of s**t we have to put up with at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2010, 17:11:40 pm »

You can say it would have been different had Davis not been sent off, but the reason Davis was sent off was due to Sammo's interesting decision to play our most dangerous threat on the left in defence.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2010, 17:19:09 pm »

You can say it would have been different had Davis not been sent off, but the reason Davis was sent off was due to Sammo's interesting decision to play our most dangerous threat on the left in defence.

Exactly. You can't write off 5 sendings off in 9 games as a series of unfortunate individual errors caused by inexperience. The manager has to take responsibility for organisation, discipline and professionalism.

We have a perfectly good, experienced left back sitting on the bench - would he have made that challenge?
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2010, 17:27:30 pm »

Hmm...Budget is roughly 25% reduced from last year = about £900k, if the figures Cardoza gave in his Q & A were accurate. Take out the League One salaries of Guinan and Hinton, who are both surplus to requirements, and the salary of Purcell (likely to be considerable given the reputation he came here with), and the total we're spending on the rest of the squad is likely to be around the £750k mark. The lowest budgets in this division are around the £600k mark. The highest are around twice that. We do not have one of the better budgets in the division when we take everything into consideration. Sacking Sammo would take further cash out of the club and give his successor a Macclesfield-esque budget unless he could find someone stupid enough to offer Guinan or Hinton the same wages as what they're on here.
What a facile arguement, you cant take players out of the budget just because they are either injured or useless, every other team in the division will have a selection of these too. The budget is easily big enough to be in the top half of the division, I even believe the squad has the ability within in to attain that, but for whatever reason they are not, to state the obvious the team is just under achieving big time.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: