The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 15:06:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The pattern continues......

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The pattern continues......  (Read 5592 times)
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2014, 09:39:07 am »

I fear it's the beginning of the end for Wilder.... Management, Loan market and tacics have been a massive let down. His get out of free card has been the injuries which is buying him time at the moment.

Wilders discision making needs to inprove very quickly or he could find himself in big trouble. I hope he does but I have a feeling it's not going to happen and we could be facing a scrap to stay in this league come May.

😥

Report Spam   Logged
garibaldi

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2014, 10:07:13 am »

Grin v funny post, trouble is its totally lost on Nevers, he's so lost without his Cricket

Here comes the snotty little kid who, when he sees which way things are going, stands at the back and adds his two penn'orth to the bullying.
Report Spam   Logged

Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2014, 10:12:26 am »

Here comes the snotty little kid who, when he sees which way things are going, stands at the back and adds his two penn'orth to the bullying.

Here's comes the old user with a new account to add his "two penn'orth" to keep bitching with the same old foes..  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest2235

« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2014, 10:16:30 am »

York had 19 pts after 17 games last season and ended up in the play offs.
"Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness". A quote from the great Desmond 2-2
Report Spam   Logged
fwalden

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2014, 10:44:06 am »

For what it's worth I wanted to get my two pennieth worth ...or whatever the saying is:

Archer played very well against Cambridge. Solid, slightly unspectacular but clearly building in confidence. Duke is getting on, wilder wants to use archer whilst he is on loan. I have no problems with that. Duke is a fans favourite and in particular a general fans favourite so he will, in our eyes, be first choice but there is a reason that Bradford saw him as 2nd choice in their promotion year. He's 2 years older now as well.

Alfei did ok at orient, give him a break. Tozer is fast becoming indispensable in the back four. Cresswell is a weak link in my opinion. Too slow, makes some poor decisions. Why Langers is not starting over him is simply down to contract. Wilder doesn't want to see a second long term deal look like a poor decision. His hand may be forced if we keep shipping goals.

Carter and ravenhill will be gone in jan I suspect. Byron is an average midfielder, Murdoch is very lightweight and got knocked over too many times in the middle of the park. Toney looked far more assured and confident with a striker playing with him. Rico, like all goalscorers will drift in and out of games but will, more often than not, be in the right place at the right time.

Overall, this is my feeling and opinion...

Hackett and Rico are the key to this season. If we can keep them on the pitch then we will have a top half finish. If they are missing for long periods we will struggle. Hackett is a class act and the best winger in this division. Often excellent deliveries and will try and beat his man more often than not. Rico gives great balance to the team and allows whichever strike partner to play off him. Toney and him could forge a real partnership if played week in, week out with Nicholls as back up for Toney. JJ has the talent but is clearly overweight. He has a role in middle of the park but needs a serious fitness plan so he has the engine to cover ground. Him and Byron, over Murdoch, could be a success. My concern is that JJ hasn't the attitude and he will continue to drift away in football obscurity if he doesn't apply himself. It's a make or break few months for him or wilder will probably instruct his agent to begin the process of moving him on in the summer.

K-mo is an exciting footballer but you can see why he has never made it. I think he thinks he is Ronaldo. He charges up the pitch with great guile but there is often no great end product. He needs some tips from Hackett of how to get to the byline and get crosses in. Again, he could be potent because he has superb technique.

I think we have the right players in the squad for the back four with no additions needed. Cresswell may struggle with real competition from langers and the eventual return from diamond.

All this b0ll0x about sacking wilder is ridiculous. He is a good manager, speaks sense and often makes the right decisions. Yes, some of his transfer accument is being questioned at the moment but let's be fair, who would have taken the players wilder has done at the start of the season?  All of us I'm sure. The players we have at our disposal will come good and with some confidence and results, this team will succeed and Wilder will be a success.

We need to be behind wilder and the team. The football and squad is far better than the aidy/gj days. It may take till next season for us to build a genuine challenge but it will come with consistency in management.
Report Spam   Logged

Frederick Ingram "Fanny" Walden (1 March 1888 – 3 May 1949) was an English professional footballer who played on the right-wing for Northampton Town, Tottenham Hotspur and at international level for England during the 1910s and 1920s.
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2014, 10:47:10 am »

Archer played very well against Cambridge. Solid, slightly unspectacular but clearly building in confidence. 

He was nothing more than average, IMO. Kicking was abysmal, didn't do much any other keeper in this league would've been able to do.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2014, 10:59:05 am »

For what it's worth I wanted to get my two pennieth worth ...or whatever the saying is:

Archer played very well against Cambridge. Solid, slightly unspectacular but clearly building in confidence. Duke is getting on, wilder wants to use archer whilst he is on loan. I have no problems with that. Duke is a fans favourite and in particular a general fans favourite so he will, in our eyes, be first choice but there is a reason that Bradford saw him as 2nd choice in their promotion year. He's 2 years older now as well.

Alfei did ok at orient, give him a break. Tozer is fast becoming indispensable in the back four. Cresswell is a weak link in my opinion. Too slow, makes some poor decisions. Why Langers is not starting over him is simply down to contract. Wilder doesn't want to see a second long term deal look like a poor decision. His hand may be forced if we keep shipping goals.

Carter and ravenhill will be gone in jan I suspect. Byron is an average midfielder, Murdoch is very lightweight and got knocked over too many times in the middle of the park. Toney looked far more assured and confident with a striker playing with him. Rico, like all goalscorers will drift in and out of games but will, more often than not, be in the right place at the right time.

Hackett and Rico are the key to this season. If we can keep them on the pitch then we will have a top half finish. If they are missing for long periods we will struggle. Hackett is a class act and the best winger in this division. Often excellent deliveries and will try and beat his man more often than not. Rico gives great balance to the team and allows whichever strike partner to play off him. Toney and him could forge a real partnership if played week in, week out with Nicholls as back up for Toney. JJ has the talent but is clearly overweight. He has a role in middle of the park but needs a serious fitness plan so he has the engine to cover ground. Him and Byron, over Murdoch, could be a success. My concern is that JJ hasn't the attitude and he will continue to drift away in football obscurity if he doesn't apply himself. It's a make or break few months for him or wilder will probably instruct his agent to begin the process of moving him on in the summer.

K-mo is an exciting footballer but you can see why he has never made it. I think he thinks he is Ronaldo. He charges up the pitch with great guile but there is often no great end product. He needs some tips from Hackett of how to get to the byline and get crosses in. Again, he could be potent because he has superb technique.

I think we have the right players in the squad for the back four with no additions needed. Cresswell may struggle with real competition from langers and the eventual return from diamond.

All this b0ll0x about sacking wilder is ridiculous. He is a good manager, speaks sense and often makes the right decisions. Yes, some of his transfer accument is being questioned at the moment but let's be fair, who would have taken the players wilder has done at the start of the season?  All of us I'm sure. The players we have at our disposal will come good and with some confidence and results, this team will succeed and Wilder will be a success.

We need to be behind wilder and the team. The football and squad is far better than the aidy/gj days. It may take till next season for us to build a genuine challenge but it will come with consistency in management.

You have just ripped his team selection and transfer activety to bits yet he will succeed. He is not convincing anyone at the minute. Good managers affect the game in play i.e why didn't he have a look at switching Hackett and k-mo? To me it would have posed another question for there two full backs. He is quickly losing my simpthy.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2235

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2014, 11:08:20 am »

York had 19 pts after 17 games last season and ended up in the play offs.
"Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness". A quote from the great Desmond 2-2
Oh forgot to mention, Oxford were top.
Report Spam   Logged
garibaldi

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2014, 11:12:46 am »

Here's comes the old user with a new account to add his "two penn'orth" to keep ****ing with the same old foes..  Grin Grin

There are no flies on you, terrie. I bet nobody else worked it out.
Report Spam   Logged

Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2014, 11:25:55 am »

With the exception of Boothroyd (who anyone including a blind man could see was cr@p) most of our managers get my backing. Wilder is no exception.

I'm sure we could all attempt to get to the bottom of a lack of form. The trick is to realise and accept these things happen.

I have wanted us to get the right man and hang onto him for years now. Until there is a clear threat of relegation I'm more than content for Wilder to take all the time he like to build a team.
Report Spam   Logged
Ryan Amoo 14

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2014, 12:46:21 pm »

I still think we miss Marquis up front too.

Think this is spot on.  His running into the channels hasn't been replaced at all, we look narrow even with 2 of Richards/Toney/Sinclair playing now.  When Marquis was playing he really helped us to make the pitch 'bigger', he was happy to pick up the ball in the channels and then look to stretch/beat his marker even if his own goalscoring threat was unremarkable.  We don't really have a player doing that presently.

I lived in Oxford for a few years so have seen plenty of Wilders teams.  In every game I saw Constable and/or Smalley performed very similar roles to that which Marquis did for us, I'm surprised we haven't signed a player of that type under his tenure so far.

This isn't based on inside information but I have a hunch that when we became aware of the possibility of signing O'Toole we perhaps made some changes to our original plans to accommodate him and his salary.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2014, 13:12:21 pm »

This isn't based on inside information but I have a hunch that when we became aware of the possibility of signing O'Toole we perhaps made some changes to our original plans to accommodate him and his salary.

From what was written on O'Toole when he signed and what we've seen, apart from the lack of goals (which granted is a big miss), he has turned out to be exactly as described.
He just seems to think that he is a lot better than he actually is. He might be a better player in a better team but so would most players. When a player comes with such self assurance or arrogance, he's got to bring the goods to back it up or is there to be shot at.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTOL-ROVERS-BLOG-Frankie-Prince-s-Bovver-Boots/story-21036061-detail/story.html

You can never blame one player but from Wilder's 'master plan' in terms of budget, he must be the biggest let down. A second division team doesn't offer a star player out on loan (it's not a Nicholls situation) to get match fitness! It was to get shot of him in the hope that someone will sign him on in January.

Maybe he is just misunderstood......
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler_rob

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2014, 13:27:15 pm »

I don't think we're miles off being a decent team and those questioning Wilder's future are overreacting. To me, O'Toole has been the biggest mistake, I'm pretty sure we were in for a target man until we signed him. This means we're now over reliant on Richards up front and have no threat when he's not playing.

In January we should sort out the right back position which has never been sorted since John Johnson left, get a decent 'Ian Taylor' centre midfielder and an additional good quality striker. Sinclair and O'Toole should be sold as they are not justifying their wages at the moment. Getting Horwood back will be a boost too as he was brilliant last season.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2014, 14:53:47 pm »

The blog cobblertone links two sheds some very interesting light on the JJ question.

It seems to suggest that his original and natural position is as a sort of all-action defensive midfielder. However, he was pushed up as a CAM due to injuries in Rovers' relegation season and that's when he got his famous 15-goal haul.

Could it be that we've been playing him out of position all along? Could it be that we're guilty of expecting him to repeat a freak one off season when he was forced to play out of position? I've been critical about him playing too deep, but now I'm starting to wonder whether the AFC Dons game gave us a glimpse of what his game is really about: combative tackling, playing the simple pass, keeping things ticking over.

The second Cambridge goal came about due to two things: Cresswell's lack of pace and Murdoch's failure to track the midfield runner. I'm wondering whether we should recall O'Toole and play him as a deep lying defensive midfielder. Perhaps O'Toole is the answer as a defensive midfielder?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 14:55:19 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
Alwaysdark

Isn't it good to be lost in the wood?

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2014, 18:30:35 pm »

stick to topic

Make your mind up. You said you were off them   Huh?

Ha ha ha bless your soul.....
Report Spam   Logged

In the sad town
cold iron hands clap
the party of clowns outside.
guest47

« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2014, 19:50:30 pm »

I lived in Oxford for a few years so have seen plenty of Wilders teams.  In every game I saw Constable and/or Smalley performed very similar roles to that which Marquis did for us, I'm surprised we haven't signed a player of that type under his tenure so far.

I don't think he was much of a Constable fan especially after he turned down the move to Swindon but I wonder if he went for Smalley when he moved to Plymouth in the summer.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2014, 21:18:51 pm »

Ok knee jerk I accept but can any serious observer of the game really think Wilder is going to turn things round - I really can't work out as to why it all goes so wrong & I would love to say be patient, give it more time etc etc - but it won't improve will it? - final,straw for me was not the dreadful performance, poor initial team selection and formation, woeful substitutions - but the radio interview where he seemed to be blaming the physio .......
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2014, 04:16:23 am »

You are ploughing a lone furrow.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: