The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 12:09:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Sack him.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sack him.  (Read 49282 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #620 on: January 31, 2015, 18:25:59 pm »

Sorry Shane, I'd class you as one of them, you were very vocal during Wilder's first wobble as manager, indeed counting down the games to when you would sack him.

Yep, I was wrong. Very wrong. At least how things stand! I've said on other threads...I still cannot believe the turnaround.

At least I stick my neck out though. I was right about last season (after 1 game), and right about the goals in the team this time around. But on this occasion Im extremely happy to be wrong. And to be fair, a lot of people were.

I think this escapade will be brought up now every time a manager is under pressure in the future. How can a team go from losing 6 and drawing 1 from 7 to winning 4 on the bounce whilst playing beautiful attacking football?!
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #621 on: January 31, 2015, 18:26:28 pm »

Grin

TOO BLOODY RIGHT!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Macc Cobbler

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #622 on: January 31, 2015, 19:04:55 pm »

But credit to Wilder - the removal of Archer, Alfei from the XI, Taylor, Holmes, Moloney coming in and d'Ath being made a regular were key.

Some very astute signings have made all the difference.

Long may it continue !
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #623 on: January 31, 2015, 19:50:46 pm »

I remember the consensus at the start of the season is that we are a club capable of reaching the play offs.
This still seems to be a pretty reasonable assessment. If people manage to restrain their knee jerk reactions to individual games and runs of form, both positive and negative, then it may yet happen.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #624 on: January 31, 2015, 22:02:43 pm »

I remember the consensus at the start of the season is that we are a club capable of reaching the play offs.
This still seems to be a pretty reasonable assessment. If people manage to restrain their knee jerk reactions to individual games and runs of form, both positive and negative, then it may yet happen.

Agree with first and very last point but not sure airing concern at 12 defeats in 14 is a knee jerk reaction- the concerns were more based on no changes appearing to be made - they have now been made and we are all grateful but to the pious ones on here who love to comment on how they were right I just wonder when on a negative run does concern not become knee jerk - 24 defeats in 28 perhaps
?
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #625 on: January 31, 2015, 23:26:38 pm »

Agree with first and very last point but not sure airing concern at 12 defeats in 14 is a knee jerk reaction- the concerns were more based on no changes appearing to be made - they have now been made and we are all grateful but to the pious ones on here who love to comment on how they were right I just wonder when on a negative run does concern not become knee jerk - 24 defeats in 28 perhaps
?

Hey... I'm pious, proud, made up and full of myself about being right  Grin Tongue Wink
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 23:33:23 pm by Terryfenwickatemyhamster » Report Spam   Logged
County Cobbler

« Reply #626 on: February 01, 2015, 07:11:43 am »

Well done to DC for having more b*lls than some of the contributors on this board.
The biggest problem during October to December was having up to ELEVEN players not available. No manager can cope with that.
Now we have a proper midfield who function defensively and can pass to teammates we are reapping the rewards with successful entertaining football.

In DC and CW we trust..............and have over many months!
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 01, 2015, 07:46:21 am »

It doesn't matter how much faith you have in your manager, after the run we were on you couldn't have blamed Cardoza had he acted and Wilder could have had few complaints either. Try to find an instance of a manager on a worse run that hasn't been fired?

I've been a supporter of Cardoza, a supporter of Wilder and a supporter of the mantra that we can't just keep sacking managers at the first sign of trouble but even I realised that that run couldn't be allowed to continue much longer and had we been beaten heavily by Southend I think he would have gone. Thankfully the tide has turned but just imagine had the worse happened, almost certainly Knill would have been put in temporary charge, we'd have won these four games and by now you'd all be claiming Knill was the greatest manager in the world and demanding Cardoza gives him a 5 year contract.

Such is the fickle nature of fans and the precarious position of a football manager.
Report Spam   Logged

Baby Bear

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #628 on: February 01, 2015, 08:02:59 am »

It doesn't matter how much faith you have in your manager, after the run we were on you couldn't have blamed Cardoza had he acted and Wilder could have had few complaints either. Try to find an instance of a manager on a worse run that hasn't been fired?

Stuart Pearce?
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 01, 2015, 08:07:11 am »

?

That sounds like a bitter post from somebody who wanted Wilder sacked. Impatient and fickle supporters are a scourge on the modern game. I'm not singling you out here Cobblerwatch, in fact I have no idea if you wanted Wilder sacked though I do remember how pious you initially were on the development thread. Fans just need to show greater patience and support for their manager allowing them to develop their team and overall squad. Fans just don't seem to learn, they seem to want instant success when that's very rarely how things work. Luckily the vast majority of Northampton fans are on the whole a patient bunch and put no pressure of any sort, apart from a few boos, on Cardoza who was never going to sack Wilder as there was no way he could afford to. Having a cull of players and bringing in the new lads was a much cheaper and more beneficial option. So fair play to Mr Cardoza for finally getting round to showing some good business sense. Let's hope it's a sign of things to come.
There is no doubt Wilder wasn't coping well with the pressure, that was made clear in his post match interviews. Now he has switched things around and we are back to winning ways he seems to be talking a lot more sense again. Long may it and the performances on the pitch continue.

And isn't it fantastic to be looking forward to the next game again.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #630 on: February 01, 2015, 09:10:56 am »

That sounds like a bitter post from somebody who wanted Wilder sacked. Impatient and fickle supporters are a scourge on the modern game. I'm not singling you out here Cobblerwatch, in fact I have no idea if you wanted Wilder sacked though I do remember how pious you initially were on the development thread. Fans just need to show greater patience and support for their manager allowing them to develop their team and overall squad. Fans just don't seem to learn, they seem to want instant success when that's very rarely how things work. Luckily the vast majority of Northampton fans are on the whole a patient bunch and put no pressure of any sort, apart from a few boos, on Cardoza who was never going to sack Wilder as there was no way he could afford to. Having a cull of players and bringing in the new lads was a much cheaper and more beneficial option. So fair play to Mr Cardoza for finally getting round to showing some good business sense. Let's hope it's a sign of things to come.
There is no doubt Wilder wasn't coping well with the pressure, that was made clear in his post match interviews. Now he has switched things around and we are back to winning ways he seems to be talking a lot more sense again. Long may it and the performances on the pitch continue.

And isn't it fantastic to be looking forward to the next game again.

Not sure where you get the "bitter" from - I'm delighted with the turn around & yes it is fantastic to look forward to the next game.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #631 on: February 01, 2015, 09:44:22 am »

As I say, we do have to remember wilder has been very fortunate in the fact DC out his hand in his pocket, not only to cancel contract of 5 or 6 of his abject failures, but then also allowed him to replace them. Fair play he now seems to have got it right, but at 95% of other clubs he would have been forced to work with the players he bought in. Since then fair play we have not looked back
Report Spam   Logged
Baby Bear

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 01, 2015, 10:12:04 am »

Pretty sure that at least half of those "let go" weren't signed by Wilder. But that would totally contradict your argument, so I can entirely understand, why you twisted the truth.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #633 on: February 01, 2015, 10:23:03 am »

They were either either or given contract extensions, the top and bottom of is there were his players! He was man enough to admit they aren't good enough by cancelling contrscts. But you still need the financial backing to do this. I have been as big a critic as anyone towards D.C. over the past 12 months, but if you think the majority of other chairman in our league would pay to rip up 5 or  6 players contracts and then go and back the manager again, your deluded.

We all make mistakes, wilder is lucky enough here that dc paid his way out of his mess. Since then up today has got it right so fair play to him for that!
Report Spam   Logged
Baby Bear

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 01, 2015, 10:40:45 am »

Except for the fact as discussed elsewhere, terminating contracts, actually saves the club money in the long run.
His only mistakes were, Robertson (and that's debatable) and Sinclair (that's not). He didn't sign Langmead, Moyo or Roberts (the later 2,who would've been on peanuts).
And I've heard the Ravenhill deal was agreed before Wilder's arrival.
I'd imagine if you done the maths, this tweaking of the playing staff has cost us very little.
But hayho.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 01, 2015, 10:44:00 am »

I'm just glad our chairman backed his manager rather reacting to 5 or 6 people on here who starting crying like little girls at the first sign of any trouble. I know who I'd rather have in the trenches with me.
Report Spam   Logged

there's only one Robbie Curtis
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #636 on: February 01, 2015, 11:21:30 am »

Not sure where you get the "bitter" from -

+++
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #637 on: February 01, 2015, 11:40:00 am »

The players backed him (always) , the chairman backed him and the vast majority of supporters back him. They might not always be right. But this time they were.

As for...if it had carried on it would have been right to sack him. I'm glad that neither the chairman or I deal in what ifs and only deal with what is and has.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:27:48 pm by Terryfenwickatemyhamster » Report Spam   Logged
AidyMannsDog

« Reply #638 on: February 01, 2015, 12:23:13 pm »

As I say, we do have to remember wilder has been very fortunate in the fact DC out his hand in his pocket, not only to cancel contract of 5 or 6 of his abject failures, but then also allowed him to replace them. 95% of other clubs he would have been forced to work with the players he bought in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/30649956 This would suggest that 95% is a figure picked out of thin air.

Before anyone accuses me of an agenda, I'm simply pointing out that DC is not the only chairman in the football league or this division supporting their manager. Look at the clubs above not below.

You want the best team you have to pay for it. I don't understand why supporters feel sorry for DC or worry about how much he's spending, he doesn't care how much money you have.

If it means the difference between getting out of this division at the right end, let him re-mortgage Cardoza towers for all I care. "We're going on a journey" he said, well buy a ticket Dave!
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #639 on: February 01, 2015, 12:31:10 pm »

?
if you looked, you could draw comparisons with your views here and over there on the redevelopment thread.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: