The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 15:09:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

"We might have to settle for a mid-table position"

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "We might have to settle for a mid-table position"  (Read 3792 times)
WasRambo

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« on: December 17, 2014, 21:14:04 pm »

Quote courtesy of the BBC site.

Tell you what Chris, wrap that up, stick a bow on it and I'll swap it for all the Christmas presents I might get next Thursday....

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 07:43:52 am »

Encouraging isn't it...

I think I my rush down to Sixfields now and stock up on tickets...
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 07:49:48 am »

Might have helped to have said this at the start of the season?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Mobile User Search Combination
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:04:37 am »

The way things are going ....maybe we would be lucky with a mid table finish .

It obviously all hinges on the effect of getting the injured players back and CW' s next reckless venture in to the January transfer market .

I , along with many others, was optimistic at the start of the season.
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:22:43 am »

If I was DC, I would refuse him funds for January and tell him to work with the players he has got through to the end of the season and see what the response was.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Ryan Amoo 14

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 10:55:14 am »

If I was DC, I would refuse him funds for January and tell him to work with the players he has got through to the end of the season and see what the response was.

Bit odd.

What's wrong with letting him change the squad as long as the net effect of those changes (likely departure of Toney aside) doesn't cost us an amount DC is unhappy with....?

Could probably have 3 Lawson D'Aths on the payroll for the same wages as Darren Carter.

Also - after January we have almost zero players due to the number of loans which expire!

Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 13:24:54 pm »

If we let all the loans go back except the 2 season-long deals, we would be fine.

However I'm a bit concerned that CW thinks we are "up and down"... I'd say the last 10 league games shows very much more down than up.
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 13:32:34 pm »

I'd have taken midtable at the start of the season, that's a vast improvement of 10 places on last season.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
NaggerPagger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 13:33:56 pm »

Mid table with signs of improvement would not be the end of the world.
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 17:15:07 pm »

Midtable would in my opinion be yet another wasted season but hey ho, we've all got different standards.
Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 18:23:56 pm »

It's not been the case much recently john but on this occasion we are in total agreement.

Mid table with the current budget would be a big underachievement. Certain posters are forgetting that we produced top7 form for the last 20 games last season before making big improvements (on paper) to the squad in the summer. I would be surprised if they are anybody's bosses with that negative mind set!!
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 19:11:53 pm »

I think the BBC are aiming too high.
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 20:20:55 pm »

I concur with Drilling & Marvo.

In a league where smaller clubs with small budgets achieve better than we do, such as Burton and Exeter are now, its hard to look at mid table as anything other than underachievement.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 21:08:33 pm »

I concur with Drilling & Marvo.

In a league where smaller clubs with small budgets achieve better than we do, such as Burton and Exeter are now, its hard to look at mid table as anything other than underachievement.

We've got to stop thinking that paying a little extra than other clubs in the league is going to make much difference. You need to have budgets way above others before you can buy your way out of the division. We are certainly with the rest - gambling on freebies and loans.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 22:05:02 pm »

it would be a massive underachievement...  Its how you use the buget and spend it on the RIGHT types of players to suit his style of play. This is where Wilder has fallen down IMO.   
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 22:05:51 pm »

Mid table is not good enough at all, have some fans been brain washed by the several dog fights we've had to accept anything above that is fine.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 05:35:18 am »

We've got to stop thinking that paying a little extra than other clubs in the league is going to make much difference. You need to have budgets way above others before you can buy your way out of the division. We are certainly with the rest - gambling on freebies and loans.

That's a good point.
If two people work in an office and one gets 20k a year and the other 30k, it doesn't mean the one on more money will offer better value or higher performance.

That applies up and down the footballing ladder. The relative small differences of a league 2 budget doesn't guarantee success. You could afford a squad of 35 players who are all rubbish.....
Report Spam   Logged
garibaldi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 06:41:32 am »

I'm sure, however, there would be words said if it were shown we had one of the lower budgets. We might be accused of not trying to compete.
Report Spam   Logged

Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 06:50:03 am »

I'd have taken midtable at the start of the season, that's a vast improvement of 10 places on last season.

I'm with St. Ed.

I get Marvo's point, but haven't all those other seasons been wasted as well.  But we've all been there through thick and thin.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 07:22:16 am »

I agree that the budget isn't much of an advantage, unlike the time when CC was the manager. But even so, if you have say the 5th biggest budget (complete guess but probably about right) then finishing 12th-16th isn't good enough. End of.

What's happened in previous years is not relevant. The injuries have massively influenced the recent struggles, but other factors have added to it.

I still hope that we can recover enough to enable at least a comfortable 2nd half of the season to ensure that we do not have to make another costly managerial change, but on the evidence of the last 10 games that's going to be touch and go. At this rate we will need the 'bounce' that a new boss often brings.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: