The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 02:24:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wilder's replacement.....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilder's replacement.....  (Read 4440 times)
Mistical

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 22:46:23 pm »

The situations been spiraling for ages. I don't think we'll go down, Hartlepool look nailed on already and I'm sure we'll do just enough as always, but it's going to be another bumpy ride. We can't pay off a 2.5 year contract so we're going to have to sit tight. Otherwise we'll have the cost of the payoff, shipping out the deadwood, getting in a new manager + assistant probably, plus some money for transfers. That's a fair wedge with no guarantee of success, even if it worked it might just be another sticking plaster until we're in another relegation fight next December!

I do wonder if a total regroup is needed in the Conference, a restructure of the club philosophy, as has been mentioned on here before. I would never want us to be relegated but we don't seem capable of regrouping in this league, it's just quick fix after quick fix.
Report Spam   Logged
betamax toploader

THAT MONEY WAS THERE FOR OUR CLUB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 22:55:28 pm »

Very unfair I think.    As I recall, there was great disappointment when he left us.   

As for him being nice or not, all I can say is that I met him on a number of occasions and always found him to be the perfect gentleman - approachable, intelligent and down to earth.    I cannot relate to your "aloof and uncaring" comment at all. 
I worked with someone a couple of years ago, and due to his social circle, he was in frequent contact with Calderwood, indeed most weekends.
He used the words "aloof" and "dour" to describe Calderwood on a regular basis.
Report Spam   Logged

To baldly go where no Betamax has gone before...
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 23:13:32 pm »

I worked with someone a couple of years ago, and due to his social circle, he was in frequent contact with Calderwood, indeed most weekends.

You could say that about almost anybody - Artichoke is quite correct in his analysis. Perhaps you are aloof and dour too. Nothing wrong with any of those attributes.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:05:54 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
AidyMannsDog

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 23:16:37 pm »

We employed Stuart Gray but then sacked him. He has since taken Sheffield Wednesday to the Championship and has won more than he's lost.
We then employed and sacked Sammo. He's not done much since but was/is Northampton through and through and I don't think we'd be in this mess under him.
Then we employed and sacked Gary Johnson, he's since taken Yeovil to the Championship, though they're back in league 1 now, just about to take on Manchester United in the FA Cup.
Then we employed and sacked Aidy Boothroyd. He's now manager of the England under 19 side.
Then we employed and ...... Chris Wilder. He's never been sacked in his career so at least that would be a first. His record is still better than all the above EXCEPT Sammo.

All good appointments as you say so why do our managers start frothing at the mouth and losing the plot? It can't be just bad luck?

Beyond me Huh?

I'm not getting drawn on all this manager talk.

Paolo Di Canio, cant send him mad.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 08:20:22 am »

who gives a fu@k what he is like on a night out.... He had a 48% win ratio. I for one would be happy to see his return.
Report Spam   Logged
MKMal

View Profile
Mobile User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 08:40:10 am »

Michael Appleton.

Talking to several Oxford fans last week, they want him out already and wish CW was still there.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 08:49:12 am »

Who uses the term "aloof"?!
Maybe he thought your former colleague was a prize pr*ck.

I guess you take people how you find them but I've only heard positive things about him on a personal level. Sadly being a manager is not a popularity contest.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 09:11:24 am »

No disrespect to your former colleague, but maybe CC just didn't like him very much....>
Report Spam   Logged
garibaldi

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 09:17:16 am »

Yet we did, we paid compensation to get him and gave him a stupidly long contract. Another great decision by DC.

When all you have to do is sit back and snipe* it's so easy. DC goes out, pays off a contract (+AB's, some players) for someone who seemed to be successful at this level, offered him a long enough contract to make it worth CW's effort to build a team, let him choose his own signings early and bring in others when injuries plagued the squad. Etcetera. The fool!

In hindsight he should have stuck with GJ. That would have been appreciated all round.

*snipe = to criticise anyone other than the owner, chairman, manager and players of the club.
Report Spam   Logged

HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 09:19:39 am »

One thing to throw into hat is as part of Wilder's contract a sensible chairman might include a clause that if the side drops below a certain level then the contract can be terminated say at a reduced pay out level.
Report Spam   Logged
betamax toploader

THAT MONEY WAS THERE FOR OUR CLUB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 09:32:50 am »

I have heard that you are very aloof even snobbish and gritty is your middle name.Nothing wrong with any of those attributes.
And there was me thinking that you didnt know me! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

To baldly go where no Betamax has gone before...
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2014, 09:51:31 am »

One thing to throw into hat is as part of Wilder's contract a sensible chairman might include a clause that if the side drops below a certain level then the contract can be terminated say at a reduced pay out level.

That doesn't work when the side you take over starts at ground zero?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2014, 09:55:13 am »

That doesn't work when the side you take over starts at ground zero?

Clearly I meant in future seasons. 
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 10:06:24 am »

Yet we did, we paid compensation to get him and gave him a stupidly long contract. Another great decision by DC.

When all you have to do is sit back and snipe* it's so easy. DC goes out, pays off a contract (+AB's, some players) for someone who seemed to be successful at this level, offered him a long enough contract to make it worth CW's effort to build a team, let him choose his own signings early and bring in others when injuries plagued the squad. Etcetera. The fool!

In hindsight he should have stuck with GJ. That would have been appreciated all round.

*snipe = to criticise anyone other than the owner, chairman, manager and players of the club.

Would you have paid compensation to bring him in on a 3.5 year deal based on his cv? I know that I wouldn't have done and I said so at the time.

If you believe that DC has run this club well then I respect your opinion. I don't agree with it though. I also don't expect any kind of opinion on the matter from yourself!
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 10:58:07 am »

Get over yourselves, he's had so little time.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 11:04:52 am »

Would you have paid compensation to bring him in on a 3.5 year deal based on his cv? I know that I wouldn't have done and I said so at the time.

If you believe that DC has run this club well then I respect your opinion. I don't agree with it though. I also don't expect any kind of opinion on the matter from yourself!

But to be fair you did think CW would win the league with this group of players, so you couldn't have thought it was that bad an appointment.
Report Spam   Logged
garibaldi

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 11:07:02 am »

I also don't expect any kind of opinion on the matter from yourself!

Says Mr Score for Fun 80. I'd have thought you'd have kept a low profile. Or written a few letters to DC.
Report Spam   Logged

Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2014, 11:20:29 am »

I think you've finally been sussed Shane, or is it Shame?  Wink  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2014, 12:05:22 pm »

Ha ha!!

No opinion as predicted!

We move on. That 80 plus goal prediction and my league winning prediction were based on us having the best group of players we've had since the Carr era (in division 4).

And what's Wilder done with them? He's totally and utterly screwed them up! We are not a team we are a collection of randomly assembled individuals each week with no on field unity.

We have a fantastic squad of players on paper. Minus most of the loans of course. That's why I'm so peeved at it all at the moment. Mark my words...he will be gone in a few weeks time at most.

If he's not then I will be happy because it would have meant he's turned it around. But if we lose/draw to bury and get beat at Tranmere we will be perilously close to the trap door at the half way stage of the season. We will need the bounce that a new manager gives you to get us out of the poo. That's football...
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2014, 12:15:48 pm »

Talking to several Oxford fans last week, they want him out already and wish CW was still there.

That certainly doesn't represent the majority of OUFC fans' opinion though. Reading their Yellows Forum on a regular basis and living here paints a clearer and rather different picture. Yes, the jury is still out on MAPP...but more than most happy to have him over CW, if only for playing style.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:19:44 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: