The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 06:03:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Ched Evans

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ched Evans  (Read 15193 times)
guest1269

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2015, 14:51:16 pm »

I still find the case perplexing in that he was found guilty and the original participant was not - appeal and due process may subsequently find him not guilty and his actions, whilst not by my judgement "a normal night on the pull" then become non criminal.
That said in either case he is free to ply his trade and should be - his ease or difficuly in getting a job as in all cases depends on his cv which of course covers both his ability in football and his character - ultimately money will talk and he will play again.

Why I personally would not want such a character playing for my team, is much more about his behaviour after the event - absolutely no contrition or regret (and no, doing such does not admit guilt) - and more importantly, my understanding is, not a word to tell the vile trolls to back off in his name in the increasingly popular sport of internet persecution.  
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2015, 14:53:04 pm »

The Cobblers have made the following statement today when asked if they would sign Ched Evans.

" We haven't been offered the opportunity to sign or give a trial to Ched Evans. It is not something the club have considered."

I think he should sign for MK Dons, it's not like their reputation could suffer any further.

Or even Peterborough? I'm not sure in a table of reprehensible acts, whether rape is above or below wife beater.

Convicted wife beater please
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2015, 15:10:58 pm »

...or down here in Plymouth?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Air-Dan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2015, 22:59:53 pm »

I think he should sign for MK Dons, it's not like their reputation could suffer any further.

Or even Peterborough? I'm not sure in a table of reprehensible acts, whether rape is above or below wife beater.

These are actually two of the twelve clubs which entirely ruled out the possibility of signing him when asked by the BBC.

MK Dons - "Ched Evans is not part of our plans."
Peterborough - "We are not interested in Ched Evans, full stop."

... Yeovil?
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2015, 00:07:02 am »

Football is such a stupid little world sometimes. Who the f*** does Steve Bruce think he is, using a global media platform and his position as Hull manager to try to influence people that they would think Evans had a right to a probably successful appeal if only they knew all the facts. What other profession would give someone the arrogance to believe they know better than a judge and jury in a court of law? It's one thing for us lot to throw opinions about on here where nobody's listening, quite another for him to abuse his position of influence like that. If he was my employee, I would sack him in a flash.

And the world's highest paid union official, Gordon Taylor, draws an analogy between a rape conviction and the Hillsborough disaster to try to support his union member. Is everyone associated with professional football just pig ignorant, arrogant and bigoted? I really wish they would all just shut the f*** up, unless it's to talk about football.

It's such a cosseted, protected, luxurious co**** they live in that perhaps it's no wonder that Evans can't begin to see the wrong in what he did and seems to think he should be spared the consequences of his actions.
Report Spam   Logged
CordwainerBill

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2015, 07:55:46 am »

I have not seen one debate on Ched Evans where the criteria is correct, lets have it right, Ched Evan IS "allowed" to play for any club in the UK he wants , the problem he is encountering is that no body wants him ,Oldham looked at him decided they didn't like the baggage that goes with him, should have been obvious in foresight IMO but there you go.
There are many players out there struggling to find clubs,  I cannot work out why being a convicted rapist raises your profile to a degree that the head of the PFA personally takes over responsibility to help pave the way for a new club . Kelvin Langmead could do with a hand right now  , Alex Nicholls situation wasn't fair and he must have feared for his livelihood I can't remember Gordon Taylor coming out for Alex whilst Chris Wilder dallied over his contract this summer , there are loads of cases of bad luck out there where guys are not paying for a drunken nights of debauchery but find themselves out of work for  more honest reasons.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2015, 08:44:20 am »

I have not seen one debate on Ched Evans where the criteria is correct, lets have it right, Ched Evan IS "allowed" to play for any club in the UK he wants , the problem he is encountering is that no body wants him ,Oldham looked at him decided they didn't like the baggage that goes with him, should have been obvious in foresight IMO but there you go.
There are many players out there struggling to find clubs,  I cannot work out why being a convicted rapist raises your profile to a degree that the head of the PFA personally takes over responsibility to help pave the way for a new club . Kelvin Langmead could do with a hand right now  , Alex Nicholls situation wasn't fair and he must have feared for his livelihood I can't remember Gordon Taylor coming out for Alex whilst Chris Wilder dallied over his contract this summer , there are loads of cases of bad luck out there where guys are not paying for a drunken nights of debauchery but find themselves out of work for  more honest reasons.
Good post Bill.

Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2015, 08:46:09 am »

He has served his time, he is claiming to be not guilty, this seems to be the problem, but he won't be the first to get a wrong verdict. Perhaps we should try to sign him?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 08:49:11 am by defender » Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2015, 09:27:16 am »

If not just for moral reasons, perhaps look into why Oldham ended up deciding it wasn't worth it.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
defender

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2015, 17:33:02 pm »

If not just for moral reasons, perhaps look into why Oldham ended up deciding it wasn't worth it.
             You could have a point there.

Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2015, 11:26:37 am »

Latest:

Ched Evans has submitted "previously unavilable fresh evidence" he hopes will help overturn his rape conviction.

The footballer's legal team has handed new information to the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC), which investigate wrongful convictions.

It is now up to the CCRC if they refer Evan's case back to the Court of the Appeal.

A statement on the 26-year-old's website said: "Further detailed submissions - supported by previously unavailable fresh evidence that we believe strengthens Ched’s application - were lodged with the Commission."

A CCRC spokesman confirmed they had received the additional submissions but would not give any further details.

Former Sheffield United player Evans was convicted of raping a 19-year-old woman in April 2012 and sentenced to five years in prison.

He was released in October 2014 and has been unable to find a club since.

His girlfriend Natasha Massey chose to stand by him and he proposed two weeks after leaving jail.

Report Spam   Logged

North_East_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2015, 12:06:30 pm »

Quick question. Where would that leave him if his conviction gets overturned? Could he be sue the girl in question for lack of earnings for the past 2 years, for example? - I'm not going back into the "is he quilty or not" debate, as the courts have, thus far, found him to be so. But if it transpires that he is not a convicted rapist, as proven in a court of law, then surely he'd be entitled to claim back lost earnings whilst he was wrongly convicted?

Don't get me wrong, this isn't me feeling sorry for the guy. Afterall, what he did (whether it was consensual or not) was completely immoral, but I think it's a very dangerous thing to call rape if someone's just been a bit too drunk and done something that they regret* in the morning.

*this is in no way saying that rape is not a serious offence. However, there has to be a distinction between genuine rape, and just someone calling it the day after once regret sets in. Otherwise, rape just becomes something that is banded about all too often, which dilutes the perception of such a serious crime.
Report Spam   Logged

5th place in the 2014 AND 2015 Grand National Sweepstake competitions. . . . .
HallamCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2015, 19:25:46 pm »

I think he gets lost earnings back from the judiciary system rather than from the other party. As is the case with most wrongful convictions.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2015, 14:07:56 pm »

Well its gone to appeal...based on new evidence.

Good. I sincerely hope that this guy is now proven innocent, I have never thought of him guilty throughout.
Report Spam   Logged
HallamCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2015, 10:46:14 am »

Whether what he did that night is considered rape or not he is still a complete a$$hole.

His wife must have no self-respect what's so ever.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2015, 13:42:53 pm »

Whether what he did that night is considered rape or not he is still a complete a$$hole.

His wife must have no self-respect what's so ever.

Agreed. But that isn't really the point. If he's not a rapist (and proved that) then it shows how badly the law needs to change to cover what is in many cases very grey area.
Report Spam   Logged
HallamCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2015, 13:47:06 pm »

If he can prove it now why couldn't he prove it before?

If new evidence has come to light then that's fine and its shame it wasn't available at first but that's not the fault of the law is it?
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2015, 18:45:36 pm »

The law is an a$$. And all that.

The law that allows people arrested to be named before a trial is not an a$$ it is in itself criminal.
Report Spam   Logged
HallamCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2015, 14:33:36 pm »

The law that allows people arrested to be named before a trial is not an a$$ it is in itself criminal.

Pretty hard for members of the public to come forward with evidence either way if they don't know what the trial is about.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2015, 00:03:23 am »

Pretty hard for members of the public to come forward with evidence either way if they don't know what the trial is about.

For it to go to trial the job of the CPS and the defense lawyers is to get all of those who need to give evidence on the list submitted to the court before the trial starts, so naming a possibly innocent person in the press achieves nothing except aggravation for them and their family. I know of one person named in a rape trial who was hounded out of his home and dismissed from his job before the trial at which he was found not guilty and the woman who made the claims against him was later prosecuted for attempting to pervert the course of justice.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: