The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 05:45:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Ched Evans

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ched Evans  (Read 15192 times)
cotton cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: January 05, 2015, 12:39:53 pm »

How would you guys feel if we signed ched evans? I hear Oldham have possibly pulled out of signing him due to uproar from sponsors etc
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ryan Amoo 14

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 12:50:30 pm »

How would you guys feel if we signed ched evans? I hear Oldham have possibly pulled out of signing him due to uproar from sponsors etc

That question is probably going to lead to a 'discussion' which will have to be locked and deleted by moderators within about 15 minutes.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:57:17 pm »

That question is probably going to lead to a 'discussion' which will have to be locked and deleted by moderators within about 15 minutes.

Try initiating a thread in Other Football and we will see how it goes?
We are all capable of grown up discussion, which is encouraged, whether it would be achieved is another question.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 13:13:15 pm »

He was found guilty of the crime by the courts and has served the punishment handed to him.

I think he should be given an opportunity to move on and get his career back on track.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 13:20:30 pm »

I think he should wait a few more months until his conviction has been reviewed - if it turns out then that he is no longer a convicted rapist, then there won't be a problem for anyone to employ him. In the meantime, all he really seems to be achieving is building up resistance.
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 13:31:17 pm »

When you look at sponsors of other clubs that have threatened to remove their sponsorship I can't see the university not getting involved if we were to look at him.
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 13:34:02 pm »

The problem appears to be that he is accused of showing no remorse or sympathy for his victim but as he believes he is totally innocent I can understand that, imagine losing your job and going to prison just on the word of someone who may have initially consented but thought better of it later. I obviously have no idea if that is the case or not or whether he is innocent or not but with alleged rape it is often the case of one persons word against the other.

Putting that to one side, he was found guilty, has served his punishment and in my opinion should now be allowed to get on with his life.

It amazes me that Oldham average gate is around 4,000 but as of 8am this morning 20,000 people have signed a petition against "their club" signing him. Just who are these people?

Rape? If half a dozen men drag a girl into a field and all have sex with her, that's an easy guilty verdict. But a man having sex with a woman who initially said no? Show me a married man, I'll show you a rapist under those terms.
Report Spam   Logged

MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 15:15:41 pm »

The review should be an interesting one.

I cannot really comment as I don’t know the full ins and outs of the case… however, from what I gather/have read the girl awoke in a strange hotel room with an extremely blurred  memory not knowing what had happened.

It was word against word, the guilty party has served his comeuppance as instructed by the court and should be free to continue his everyday business. The backlash being received should be directed at the courts for not serving a sufficient sentence. 

His profession should not dictate his direction after his punishment has been served. 
Report Spam   Logged
Ryan Amoo 14

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 15:18:55 pm »

But a man having sex with a woman who initially said no? Show me a married man, I'll show you a rapist under those terms.

?
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 15:42:43 pm »

The problem appears to be that he is accused of showing no remorse or sympathy for his victim but as he believes he is totally innocent I can understand that, imagine losing your job and going to prison just on the word of someone who may have initially consented but thought better of it later.
Or after sobering up.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 16:11:51 pm »

He was found guilty of the crime by the courts and has served the punishment handed to him.

I think he should be given an opportunity to move on and get his career back on track.

Agreed - he has served his court sentence. The shrill outbursts from various Woman Associations seems more like persecution; thought Christmas was all about love and forgiveness. Sad
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
TbananaG

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 16:39:45 pm »

The Evans case is a difficult one because, if you read about the details of the case and his side of the story, it really is quite difficult to see the conviction as a reliable one, and that's not to minimise in any way the severity of the crime of rape.

If he sincerely believes that he is innocent, then I think he should let the legal process take its course and the conviction is currently under review and will be complete in no more than six or seven months. It is possible that he could start next season at a club and with a clean record after that review. At the moment, it just seems that he's antagonising more and more people by trying to get a job before the conviction has been reviewed.

That said, serving your time never means that you get your life back exactly as it was before - it just means that you get the chance to try to start again. A convicted rapist would never work again as a doctor, teacher, journalist etc etc....and I do get the argument that that should apply to a footballer as well.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 17:06:38 pm »

The problem appears to be that he is accused of showing no remorse or sympathy for his victim but as he believes he is totally innocent I can understand that, imagine losing your job and going to prison just on the word of someone who may have initially consented but thought better of it later. I obviously have no idea if that is the case or not or whether he is innocent or not but with alleged rape it is often the case of one persons word against the other.

Putting that to one side, he was found guilty, has served his punishment and in my opinion should now be allowed to get on with his life.

It amazes me that Oldham average gate is around 4,000 but as of 8am this morning 20,000 people have signed a petition against "their club" signing him. Just who are these people?

Rape? If half a dozen men drag a girl into a field and all have sex with her, that's an easy guilty verdict. But a man having sex with a woman who initially said no? Show me a married man, I'll show you a rapist under those terms.

I think he is showing no remorse because a; the girl begged (as witnessed by a taxi driver) for Evans mate to ring him as 'it'll be fun' b; His mates, who thought it would be hilarious to sneak round a side window and secretly film 'the sex', provided the police with footage which (allegedly) shows the girl insisting he go down on her.
You insist on going to a hotel room, at 3;30 in the morning, with two blokes you've never met before, and insist that one of them gives you head. But it's a step too far if he puts his sausage in you?
Rape is a terrible crime. But being drunk does not mean you are incapable of giving consent, otherwise most of the men in this country would have been in the dock at one time or another.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler1991

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 17:09:35 pm »

If talks with Oldham break down which there is a 50:50 chance of doing so in my opinion, would Ched Evans be desperate to lower the bar a bit and give League Two a go? I have a feeling that if Toney goes this window, there is no way you will be able to build a strike partnership around Richards and Sinclair as the latter seems about as useful as a chocolate fireman at the moment. Of course this entirely depends on Evans being desperate enough to come to an average League 2 club, the board wanting to sign him, the team being ok with it and potential backlash from fans and sponsors.

Probably one of my more fanciful thoughts but it kept coming up in my mind today when I kept losing concentration at work.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 17:15:43 pm »

Evans being desperate enough?

We'd have to be desperate enough. Not for me. Never.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 17:16:10 pm »

If the guy came back apologised and said it was a mistake then fair enough but if he shows no remorse then he can jog on.
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
AidyMannsDog

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 18:14:01 pm »

When you look at sponsors of other clubs that have threatened to remove their sponsorship I can't see the university not getting involved if we were to look at him.

Could replace them with Stella Artois?
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 18:25:33 pm »

I think he is showing no remorse because a; the girl begged (as witnessed by a taxi driver) for Evans mate to ring him as 'it'll be fun' b; His mates, who thought it would be hilarious to sneak round a side window and secretly film 'the sex', provided the police with footage which (allegedly) shows the girl insisting he go down on her.
You insist on going to a hotel room, at 3;30 in the morning, with two blokes you've never met before, and insist that one of them gives you head. But it's a step too far if he puts his sausage in you?
Rape is a terrible crime. But being drunk does not mean you are incapable of giving consent, otherwise most of the men in this country would have been in the dock at one time or another.

You have the exact same views as myself. Rape is obviously disgusting, but I felt Ched was extremely harshly done by. I'd personally like to see him partner Rico up top...

But with that being said, you have to be mindful of our sponsors; especially with the redevelopment and for those reasons we'd have to steer well clear. Unless the review proves successful for Ched, in which case he'd never consider the Cobblers anyways!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 18:33:27 pm »

Am I alone in sobering what there is a lot more fuss over this rape case than the death of an 8yr old and 10yr old through drink driving by McCormick or the killed through an accident and then leaving the scene by Hughes. Why was there not as much controversy when they resumed their careers?
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 18:36:25 pm »

There was.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up