The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 17:26:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Ched Evans

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ched Evans  (Read 15181 times)
Wolvo

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 18:40:29 pm »

Am I alone in sobering what there is a lot more fuss over this rape case than the death of an 8yr old and 10yr old through drink driving by McCormick or the killed through an accident and then leaving the scene by Hughes. Why was there not as much controversy when they resumed their careers?

I think an increase in social media since Lee Hughes has helped make the Evans case more controversial. As highlighted above, the amount of people signing petitions to stop clubs signing him is ridiculous.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 19:25:59 pm »

There was.

Was there? I take the Hughes case as being before the social media explosion but the McCormick case wasn't that long ago, and I certainly can't remember petitions, sponsors threatening to pull out, famous celebrities threatening to withdraw their patronage......seems this has been blown up much more than perhaps it should have been. As per the explanation above Evans has always protested his innocence and continues to do so.....it's not like he can change and show remorse now as that would make him look like he's been lying all this time. He's served his sentence and IMO he deserves the chance to resume his career somewhere.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 19:43:39 pm by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
MK_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 19:38:27 pm »

I wonder how many of these 20,000 are football and Oldham fans. Have there been any counter petitions?

Seems to me a load of folk from the WI are pitching in.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 20:16:46 pm »

I don't think he's guilty, the woman tweeted about making it big and taking all her mates on holiday being just one example of why I have zero respect for her and don't believe a word she says. But most of this telling evidence wasn't allowed to be used as evidence...

As a fan would I like him here? Yes.

As a chairman would I sanction the signing? A definite no.

Too much baggage, too many people against it. Would split the support base. I just hope that he wins his appeal and can make all those who casually call him a rapist look rather silly.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 20:27:43 pm »

A court listened to the evidence and then decided he was guilty. Whether you like it or not they heard all of the evidence, you didn't. If they say he's guilty then he's guilty. So going by your logic, you saying he isn't a rapist make you look rather silly.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
phil

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 20:29:29 pm »

The Evans case is a difficult one because, if you read about the details of the case and his side of the story, it really is quite difficult to see the conviction as a reliable one, and that's not to minimise in any way the severity of the crime of rape.

If he sincerely believes that he is innocent, then I think he should let the legal process take its course and the conviction is currently under review and will be complete in no more than six or seven months. It is possible that he could start next season at a club and with a clean record after that review. At the moment, it just seems that he's antagonising more and more people by trying to get a job before the conviction has been reviewed.

That said, serving your time never means that you get your life back exactly as it was before - it just means that you get the chance to try to start again. A convicted rapist would never work again as a doctor, teacher, journalist etc etc....and I do get the argument that that should apply to a footballer as well.

So what job can he do then?.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 20:36:38 pm »

So what job can he do then?.

Any job where the employer is happy to employ a convicted rapist. It's nobody else's responsibility to save him from the consequences of his actions.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 20:48:40 pm »

The club wouldn't see another penny from me whilst he was on the payroll if we signed him. The only true role of a lower league football club is to provide enjoyment for the community. Signing someone like Ched Evans would suggest that the only thing important is scoring goals, not the fans, or any females associated to the club.

At the end of the day, a court listened to all of the evidence and came to the conclusion that he was guilty.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 20:52:18 pm »

A court listened to the evidence and then decided he was guilty. Whether you like it or not they heard all of the evidence, you didn't. If they say he's guilty then he's guilty. So going by your logic, you saying he isn't a rapist make you look rather silly.

Back in the day I followed this case a lot and read up an awful lot about it. There was a lot of 'evidence' that was deemed inappropriate to be used by the judge. So the jury didnt hear all of the evidence.

I firmly believe that he will be acquitted in his appeal. The jury had little choice but to find him guilty given the argument that she was too drunk to consent. That was what it was all centred on.

The main  issue people seem to have now is that he has not said sorry. Yet it seems that it matters not how many people make the point that he is hardly going to apologise for something he firmly denies doing.

We shall see what happens with the appeal. But whichever way you look at this case it isn't cut and dry and far from it. He's been very harshly treated in my opinion whilst the word of the 'victim' has been taken as gospel. For some reason.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 20:56:04 pm »

The club wouldn't see another penny from me whilst he was on the payroll if we signed him. The only true role of a lower league football club is to provide enjoyment for the community. Signing someone like Ched Evans would suggest that the only thing important is scoring goals, not the fans, or any females associated to the club.

At the end of the day, a court listened to all of the evidence and came to the conclusion that he was guilty.

I always held (and still do) that view with Hughes. Can't stand the bloke. I think on this occasion people are either believing him or believing the girl. I believe him. If I thought he had done it I would hold exactly the same view as yourself.
Report Spam   Logged
Razor

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2015, 21:02:26 pm »

The facts are he was found guilty in court, served some time in prison and the decision is now being appealed.

I have no idea what actually happened just like everyone else on here.

What I do know is that trial by social media is a very dangerous thing indeed.

Hopefully the appeal process will help provide some kind of closure to the issue either way.
Report Spam   Logged
Ryan Amoo 14

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2015, 21:05:19 pm »

This is the thread that made me stop posting on The Hotel End.

Absolutely appalling.
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2015, 21:06:03 pm »

We shall see what happens with the appeal. But whichever way you look at this case it isn't cut and dry and far from it. He's been very harshly treated in my opinion whilst the word of the 'victim' has been taken as gospel. For some reason.

I'm not sure that's right though is it? As I understand it, she doesn't claim to have any recollection of what happened, and Evans was convicted and McDonald acquitted effectively on the basis of their own evidence of what happened - they were interviewed separately and their stories match, so suggests they weren't trying to hide anything. As you say, it's not cut and dried - I really think he should just go quiet until the review of the conviction has been completed. He can then start again with football if he's cleared.
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2015, 21:07:34 pm »

Why is this thread appalling? I'm sure it's fairly similar to many discussions centred on Evans up and down the country.
Report Spam   Logged
Air-Dan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2015, 21:12:01 pm »

Evans being desperate enough?

We'd have to be desperate enough. Not for me. Never.

+1
Report Spam   Logged
Clint

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 21:18:19 pm »

Quite.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2015, 21:28:40 pm »

This is the thread that made me stop posting on The Hotel End.

Absolutely appalling.

Why?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2015, 21:31:58 pm »

I'm not sure that's right though is it? As I understand it, she doesn't claim to have any recollection of what happened, and Evans was convicted and McDonald acquitted effectively on the basis of their own evidence of what happened - they were interviewed separately and their stories match, so suggests they weren't trying to hide anything. As you say, it's not cut and dried - I really think he should just go quiet until the review of the conviction has been completed. He can then start again with football if he's cleared.

You are right when you say that he should go quiet, it's clear that even if a Sunday league team suggested signing him there would be a huge petition against it and said club would have it's name dragged in the mud!

What I haven't seen though is one single person who is so anti the guy accept that it isn't cut and dry and there must be doubt involved. Or acknowledge why the appeal is being fast tracked.

I've acknowledged that as a club we shouldn't consider signing him. For the reasons stated...and whilst there is doubt involved. I just do no believe that he was given a fair trial. I also happen to believe he's a complete idiot for getting involved in the first place but that's for another discussion!
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2015, 21:44:03 pm »

he was found guilty and he has paid for it, nuff said!
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 22:03:21 pm »

Yes, and even the prosecution barrister accepted there was considerable doubt as to whether she was being honest in her proclamation of 'loss of memory'.
If you read the case papers which were leaked online, then he was basically found guilty because the judge messed up. This is one of the main grounds for appeal. In his summing up the judge said - words to the effect of - "The accused claims that their sexual liaison was consensual, and It is obvious this young woman was intoxicated, and was also a heavy user, and under the influence of both cannabis and cocaine. There is also no doubt that this young man had sex with a woman he knew to be drunk."

But, apparently, what he should have said/made clear was: "The accused claims that their sexual liaison was consensual, and It is obvious this young woman was intoxicated, and was also a heavy user, and under the influence of both cannabis and cocaine. There is also no doubt that this young man had sex with a woman he knew to be drunk. But, just because an individual is intoxicated, does not automatically mean they are incapable of giving consent."

I think if this last bit had been added, then the jury may likely have viewed things differently. Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: