The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 17:04:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Ched Evans

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ched Evans  (Read 15180 times)
HallamCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2015, 10:22:11 am »

For it to go to trial the job of the CPS and the defense lawyers is to get all of those who need to give evidence on the list submitted to the court before the trial starts, so naming a possibly innocent person in the press achieves nothing except aggravation for them and their family. I know of one person named in a rape trial who was hounded out of his home and dismissed from his job before the trial at which he was found not guilty and the woman who made the claims against him was later prosecuted for attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Agree, just saying I think thats why they name them.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2015, 13:04:39 pm »

No they name them because it's what your average Joe in the street wants to read after looking at page 3.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2016, 08:57:19 am »

It's a difficult one. **** is a reprehensible crime and once someone has been convicted of it I have no time for them and would struggle to come to terms with cheering them on if they played for us. The more you read about this case though the more dubious the conviction sounds.
Considering it is essentially one person's word against another, and one of those people was so out of it on drink and drugs they have no recollection of events it's very difficult to see how the court can find in favour of that person's version of events.
This is especially true when you include the comments overheard by the taxi driver and the mobile phone footage. Sure, these don't prove that a **** did or didn't occur later in the evening, but they do suggest that earlier in the evening she was consentual to some acts. Of course, that doesn't mean she consented to anything else, but it does cast doubt.

And therein lies the reason why I think his conviction will be overturned; I really can't see how, in the absence of physical evidence, a jury can reach a verdict that is beyond reasonable doubt. Being entirely objective about it, while events in that room were almost certainly rather unsavoury, it's pretty much impossible to prove either way.

And indeed it has been overturned. He's to face a retrial and rightfully so, but this time I hope all the available evidence will be heard so a true verdict can be reached. How some of the stuff was omitted last time was scandalous all round, really; it hasn't helped the victim, the accused, the legal system or the tax payer who subsequently has had to foot the bill for everything that has followed.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2016, 09:31:07 am »

VERY please with this. Took a bit of a beating at the time on here and via social media sites. You know...supporting a 'rapist' and all that.

I really hope that he is acquitted and that the girl gets named and shamed.

She tweeted a day or two after the 'rape' that she was taking all of her mates out on holiday because she was coming into some money. The tone of it was a very happy and boastful one as well. Subsequently deleted that though.

She also managed to walk unaided into the hotel carrying a pizza, speak with the receptionist of the hotel etc. And didn't appear to be intoxicated in the slightest. Yet cannot remember a thing apparently.

She was after money...and may end up making it more difficult for genuine rape victims to have their cases trusted and believed. The law is so wrong.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2016, 10:03:27 am »

Agree, Drilling. I don't think he's a very nice man. Actually, I think he's probably a bit of a c***. That isn't a crime though and when you actually read around this a little, some of the stuff that the original trial refused to accept as evidence casts a very different light on events.
I've no idea if he raped her or not. I really haven't. However, I think it's vital that he (or anyone else) is allowed to present all relevant evidence in order to defend themselves, otherwise they really aren't receiving a fair trial.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2016, 10:21:50 am »

And don't forget that Ntfc also has a tenuous link in the Ched Evans affair. Clayton McDonald, one of the co-defendants in the case who was acquitted, is the brother of Concrete Rod!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2016, 14:22:44 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-37659009
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2016, 14:46:20 pm »

Interesting that his clearance from all convictions coincides with the retirement of Jessica Ennis who tried to ruin his career and life.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2016, 16:43:53 pm »

I took a quick look on twitter earlier and it seems that all of the Ched Haters are now crying that he's been found innocent and claiming that the witnesses involved were in it for cash. Unbelievable Jeff.

I hope he takes the law to the cleaners, I really do. Its disgraceful what happened.

And for those saying the girl didn't report it. She went to the bloody police, bless her! Cant make up the crap that people spout. Her decisions have ruined a blokes life and made him a hate figure in so many peoples eyes. Even now that he's been found innocent.

I decided earlier not to debate this on social media, but had to get it off my chest so I've had my rant on the subject on here!
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2016, 17:54:34 pm »

Will always remember when he was initially found guilty, I was following the case very closely whilst in my third year of University. Terrible from the justice system. I believe the woman in question never accused Ched of rape though - only went in to report a missing bag and the police pursued it from there.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2016, 11:21:23 am »

One thing that really p!sses me off is the disproportionately lower amount of coverage given to his clearing of all charges then to the coverage given when he was found guilty.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2016, 11:53:57 am »

Similar to the small internal columns normally given to apologies for incorrect front page headlines...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2016, 14:07:48 pm »

13. Across: He is not a werewolf.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2016, 15:06:17 pm »

One thing that really p!sses me off is the disproportionately lower amount of coverage given to his clearing of all charges then to the coverage given when he was found guilty.

Nonsense, real trustworthy papers like The Sun covered this as front page news.

Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2016, 16:06:45 pm »

He is almost a newsworthy as a free razor and as for treating women like dirt the Sun should be careful of all the glass around them.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2016, 16:28:50 pm »

He is almost a newsworthy as a free razor and as for treating women like dirt the Sun should be careful of all the glass around them.

Well if you don't like looking at pictures of a man who treats women like dirt, you can skip to pages 2 and 3 where you can see ALL of Ola. Treat of a newspaper.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2016, 17:12:45 pm »

Just something for us all to consider....
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2016, 21:18:48 pm »

That 606 is an excellent piece. The Sun certainly falls into the victimisation section.

Well if you don't like looking at pictures of a man who treats women like dirt, you can skip to pages 2 and 3 where you can see ALL of Ola. Treat of a newspaper.

To be honest, I cannot see why it is still in circulation. There is no place in a socially advanced society for what is not much better than a w@nk rag.

As for Evans, the jury decided he was not guilty of rape. Unfortunately the courts do not pass judgement moral issues only legal.
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2016, 16:28:47 pm »

No one will know except Evans or the girl. If he is truly innocent which a lot of times athletes are then she should be done for perjury.

Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2016, 20:54:49 pm »

No one will know except Evans or the girl. If he is truly innocent which a lot of times athletes are then she should be done for perjury.

The issue is not if she told the truth or not, it's that she wasn't a credible witness as Evans and the jury took Evans's word to be more believable. Also you have to consider that a not guilty verdict is issued when there is some doubt. The jury could well have considered a guilty verdict, but been reluctant due to it being a retrial which in itself lends a certain amount of doubt from the outset.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: