The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 07:25:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Penalties

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penalties  (Read 4571 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 20:15:58 pm »

Guess if penalties were just such an easy nailed on thing...we wouldn't have penalty shootouts as deciders at all...Worcester v Scunny scenarios would certainly be pretty common place!
Still, I don't know, whenever the Cobbs get a pen, superstition gets the better of me and I look away! No idea what direction they're placed!  Grin

Your a goalie in real life!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 21:30:19 pm »

I knew he was going to miss it when I saw the two people either side of me videoing the peno on their phones.

Why do people do that? I've always been interested to know why people feel the need to do this at football matches. If you are one of them, please tell me  Tongue

Why does anybody ever video anything? Presumably so they have something they can look at when they want, same as photos I guess.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 00:09:54 am »

Had you said most, even 95% I might have agreed. But 100% is factually incorrect.

I hope Jolly Cobbler isn't reading this - I've already had his considered expertise on the difference between "most" and "majority" - introducing 3 options here will have him over excited and quite possibly tears before bedtime..........
Report Spam   Logged
North_East_Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 08:25:28 am »

That pretty much backs up what I read, the graph of the goal shows all but one of the penalties in the top third counted.

100% Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

5th place in the 2014 AND 2015 Grand National Sweepstake competitions. . . . .
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 08:36:03 am »

Hit it hard and make the keeper save it...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
John

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 09:52:59 am »

I don't know why people can't grasp the concept of 100%.

In the study I read where a professor looked at all the penalties from one division throughout an entire season ALL the penalties that were placed in the top third of the goal were converted. THAT is 100%!

Somebody else has now posted the results of a DIFFERENT study where on one occasion a penalty struck into the top third of the goal was saved, all others were scored. That's why I wrote "that pretty much backs up what I read" rather than say that entirely backs up what I read.

Seriously, this isn't difficult to understand.
Report Spam   Logged

The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 10:10:53 am »

I read a book called Why do England always lose at penalties which covered all this kind of stuff along with other things like How much does it matter just who the manager is ( not much it turns out)
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 10:28:26 am »

In the study I read where a professor looked at all the penalties from one division throughout an entire season ALL the penalties that were placed in the top third of the goal were converted. THAT is 100%!

Somebody else has now posted the results of a DIFFERENT study where on one occasion a penalty struck into the top third of the goal was saved, all others were scored. That's why I wrote "that pretty much backs up what I read" rather than say that entirely backs up what I read.

That is because for a very short period of time, the ball can resist gravity more easily than a 120 kg keeper. Of course gravity will pull us all down eventually. It may be a weak force, but it is very, very persistent
Report Spam   Logged
MikeElderton

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 10:36:23 am »

120kg  Shocked Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 10:40:26 am »

Would a 120 kilo keeper be able to dive in the first place?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 11:08:06 am »

But what use is it if it's unobtainable??
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2015, 11:39:49 am »

What is unobtainable?
Report Spam   Logged

Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2015, 12:03:40 pm »

I think Marvo's absolutely right - if you can put the ball in the top 1/3 then you would expect to score. But what I haven't seen yet are the percentages missed (i.e hit the bar or went over) when going high - I'd assume that those that 'Hacketted' the ball over the bar were going for the top 1/3 too. If you miss the target when going for the top 1/3 10% of the time then you may still have the same success rate as going for the 'safer' bottom 2/3. I've plucked these figures out of thin air, of course, but we need to see the bigger picture to get the full story of whether it is statistically better to aim for the top 1/3 than not.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2015, 13:08:43 pm »

Apparently generally 80% of penalty kicks are scored. There is one interesting factor -  players under 23 score 85% and those over over 29 just 79%. You would have thought it was the other way round.

Please don't call them penalty kicks. It is football, we all know it's a kick. This only came into being for the dumb septics when they hosted the World cup along with corner kicks.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2015, 13:17:57 pm »

Obviously you have to take into account how good the keeper is.
Paul Cooper of Ipswich in the late seventies early eighties had an 80% save rate. I saw him years later on the TV and he said he used to stand slightly to one side of the goal and the majority of the time the penalty taker would subconsciously shoot at the larger open target, so Cooper had a good chance of diving the correct way.
Report Spam   Logged
HallamCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2015, 13:33:47 pm »

Maybe show the percentage of people who tried to find the top third of the net and those who actually hit it.

It could be that 3000 people have tried, 2990 have missed the target but the 10 that hit the top third scored. Meaning 100% who hit the top third scored.

The theory is its harder for a goalkeeper to get down, if you missed the top third and are hitting the middle of the net then thats the best area for it to hit some part of the keeper.
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 16:44:20 pm »

Obviously you have to take into account how good the keeper is.
Paul Cooper of Ipswich in the late seventies early eighties had an 80% save rate. I saw him years later on the TV and he said he used to stand slightly to one side of the goal and the majority of the time the penalty taker would subconsciously shoot at the larger open target, so Cooper had a good chance of diving the correct way.
What about Harvey's penalty save ratio for the Cobblers when we went up from the old division 2 in 1965?
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 20:34:28 pm »

I read a book called Why do England always lose at penalties which covered all this kind of stuff along with other things like How much does it matter just who the manager is ( not much it turns out)

Assuming you mean 'Why England Lose'  it's a great book and rubbishes a lot of the myths that are regularly trotted out about football.
There's also 'Inverting the Pyramid' which is a bit more nerdy and goes into the history of tactics. Herbert Chapman gets plenty of credit.
Report Spam   Logged
Gibbo

View Profile
Level 5 Windows User Combination
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2015, 21:23:16 pm »

Baggio missed quite an important one. He was a professional footballer too.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2015, 22:08:52 pm »

Please don't call them penalty kicks. It is football, we all know it's a kick. This only came into being for the dumb septics when they hosted the World cup along with corner kicks.

Good point and I won't let it happen again.

My favourite bugbear is when a manager or player says something like "I want to what's best for xxxx football club" and says the full name of his club. Just to make sure we don't get confused into thinking he wants to do what's best for some other club.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: