The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 08:41:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Season over

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Season over  (Read 2637 times)
Heyford

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 20:21:55 pm »

The form table since the turn of the year shows that we are a top seven side. I know it is the whole season that counts, but this team was only assembled in January by adding three good players to the squad. There is room for improvement of couse, but for the first time in years we already have the nucleus of a decent side in place as we go into the summer. That has to be a major improvement. Hopefully a few good signings in summer will improve us even more.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 20:38:58 pm by Heyford » Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 20:27:29 pm »

Agree with everything GPC has said.
Is our next manager, Bungle going to offer his expert opinion?
Report Spam   Logged
andycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 20:49:24 pm »

Lol....really??? I think I pulled you up on this last time!! A massive improvement?? We got 53 points last season, we have 61 this season! 8 points is massive is it? If so, then if Playmouth win next week and we lose we'll be 10 points off the play-offs in the final table. I suppose you'll still say we just missed out then!!

We've lost 19 league games last season......we've lost 20 this season (with one to go)....massive improvement?? I don't think so!

We conceded 57 league goals last season.....we've conceded 59 so far this season..... massive improvement?? I don't think so!

We lost 10 away league games last season....13 this.......massive improvement??

Small progress in my opinion....used far too many players, conceded far too many goals, lost far too many games, a very modest improvement in some areas.......just my opinion like!

Ok, lets forget your stats This time last season we were celebrating getting out of the bottom 2 and praying for league survival. This year we're disappointed to be missing out on the play-offs. That's a massive improvement. This year we have the nucleas of a squad to imo get auto promotion next season and anything less will be a failure. As for pulling me up previous, i don't think so, you obviously have me mixed up woth someone who gives a s*** about your arrogance.
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 20:51:48 pm »

The form table since the turn of the year shows that are a top seven side. I know it is the whole season that counts, but this team was only assembled in January by adding three good players to the squad.                                                                                                       There is room for improvement of course, but for the first time in years we already have the nucleus of a decent side in place as we go into the summer. That has to be a major improvement. Hopefully a few good signings in summer will improve us even more.

since the turn of the year.....We are 5th!! (only fair to give a balanced view of the stats I guess!!)

Wycombe P21  Pts34   8th
Burton P21      Pts45   1st
Shrewsbury P21  Pts35  6th
Newport   P21  Pts22   19th
Luton P22  Pts23   18th
Southend  P21   Pts44   3rd
Plymouth  P21   Pts30  11th
Bury        P21   Pts45  2nd
Exeter      P20   Pts24  15th
Stevenage  P21   Pts37   4th
Morecambe   P21   Pts26  13th
Wimbledon  P22    Pts24  17th
Stanley     P22    Pts20  22nd
Cambridge     P22   Pts22  20th
Pompey    P22   Pts28  12th
Oxford     P21     Pts30  9th
Cheltenham   P21    Pts12    24th
York     P21      Pts24  14th
Mansfield   P22    Pts21  21st
COBBLERS    P21    Pts36  5th
Dagenham    P21    Pts34  7th
Carlisle    P21        Pts25  16th
Tranmere     P22    Pts17   23rd
Hartlepool    P21    Pts30 10th
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
andycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 20:56:19 pm »

Hmmmm! Is that not improvement ?
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 21:12:45 pm »

Hmmmm! Is that not improvement ?

That part is! The thing about stats is that they can be manipulated however you want to!! If i did the last 10 games for example i'm sure we wouldn't be 5th!

It is a fact that we've finished higher this season than last
It is fact that we've lost more games than last
It is fact that we've conceded more goals than last season
It is fact that we've been a top 5 side since the turn of the year
It is fact that we've been a bottom 10 side since the end of February
It is fact that Wilder got more points per game in his time at NTFC last season than he has this season

It is a matter of opinion whether we have made massive strides this season.....my opinion....based on said facts is that we haven't!
Report Spam   Logged

Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 21:15:16 pm »

Wilder is a very average league 2 manager. He bottled it this season like he did with Oxford when he was there. On the plus side I doubt he would ever get us relagated.  Grin
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 21:40:47 pm by Its_nice_to_michu » Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 07:45:30 am »

Agree with everything GPC has said.
Is our next manager, Bungle going to offer his expert opinion?

Ok, I'll take your subtly-ironic bait.

For me, this season goes down as a disappointment. I'd argue that it doesn't constitute a huge disappointment, or a disappointment that puts CW's job in any kind of jeopardy, but it is a disappointment nonetheless.

Many of us felt that the 'top-5-form-survival squad' with the promising additions of Richards, O'Toole and K-Mo would be enough to challenge for the play-offs. (Didn't see too many expecting an auto-promotion challenge.) What we - and CW - failed to realise was that our midfield was knackered: after an initial flurry of decent form it emerged that this was a season too far for the old legs of Ravenhill, Carter and Hackett. Unsurprisingly, without a solid midfield screen we shipped goals and had essentially f***ed up our play-off bid by the end of December.

However, I'd argue that the post-January side with the crucial additions of Taylor, Moloney and Holmes and the emergence of D'ath is the best side we've had since the Stuart Gray League One days. The fact that they didn't get over the line and reach the play-offs is down to a lack of strength in depth and the aforementioned handicap of the low points base accrued in winter.

This season Wilder can point to the need to transition from a relegation side and the need to get rid of Boothroyd's deadwood. Those excuses won't be available next year. As others have said, he has assembled the nucleus of a squad of promotion-quality players, he has a more than competitive budget and he should have the momentum of a redeveloped Sixfields behind him Grin. He will know that he has to deliver.

Anyway, if he brings in a quality goalkeeper, ties down Collins, signs a young target man and adds to our strength in depth on the bench I will be genuinely optimistic that we can pull it off.  What's required is sensible tweaking rather than major surgery.

What I would say is that this side is a hell of a lot more entertaining than some of our previous promotion winning outfits. If they can tighten up at the back then we could be in for an interesting ride.

Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 09:41:59 am »

Bungles sensible post number 171..... Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 10:43:33 am »

If Wilder can bring in summer recruits who possess the quality of the January signings then we will be able to have a right go at automatic promotion next season. Playoffs should be a minimum. Especially when you think we will have a decent amount of players leaving on a big wage, Carter, Tozer, Duke etc.

After Wilder kept us up last season I am happy to give him the benefit of any doubt. I for one have enjoyed the home football far more than I have over the last few seasons. One thing that has to be addressed is the away form, we really have been dire now for years away from home!

I think most fans agree in what we need, goalkeeper, target man, cover for full back etc. Our team 1-11 is great, its the squad that needs to now be improved with similar quality.

That being said there will be some sides with some big budgets next season, Leyton Orients current wage bill is 4 Million!
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2015, 10:44:01 am »

Ok, I'll take your subtly-ironic bait.

For me, this season goes down as a disappointment. I'd argue that it doesn't constitute a huge disappointment, or a disappointment that puts CW's job in any kind of jeopardy, but it is a disappointment nonetheless.

Many of us felt that the 'top-5-form-survival squad' with the promising additions of Richards, O'Toole and K-Mo would be enough to challenge for the play-offs. (Didn't see too many expecting an auto-promotion challenge.) What we - and CW - failed to realise was that our midfield was knackered: after an initial flurry of decent form it emerged that this was a season too far for the old legs of Ravenhill, Carter and Hackett. Unsurprisingly, without a solid midfield screen we shipped goals and had essentially ****ed up our play-off bid by the end of December.

However, I'd argue that the post-January side with the crucial additions of Taylor, Moloney and Holmes and the emergence of D'ath is the best side we've had since the Stuart Gray League One days. The fact that they didn't get over the line and reach the play-offs is down to a lack of strength in depth and the aforementioned handicap of the low points base accrued in winter.

This season Wilder can point to the need to transition from a relegation side and the need to get rid of Boothroyd's deadwood. Those excuses won't be available next year. As others have said, he has assembled the nucleus of a squad of promotion-quality players, he has a more than competitive budget and he should have the momentum of a redeveloped Sixfields behind him Grin. He will know that he has to deliver.

Anyway, if he brings in a quality goalkeeper, ties down Collins, signs a young target man and adds to our strength in depth on the bench I will be genuinely optimistic that we can pull it off.  What's required is sensible tweaking rather than major surgery.

What I would say is that this side is a hell of a lot more entertaining than some of our previous promotion winning outfits. If they can tighten up at the back then we could be in for an interesting ride.

Too many ifs or buts i am afraid. Wilder had all of last summer to assembled a side capable of finishing in the top six and he didn't manage it. adding to that he had almost a complete overhaul mid season. In short the facts don't lie he did a good job of keeping us up last season, but when it comes to taking that next step of play offs etc he falls short and always has done.I am willing to see how he goes next season and give him the benefit of doubt for now as i have no choice.  Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2015, 10:45:56 am »

Too many ifs or buts i am afraid. Wilder had all of last summer to assembled a side capable of finishing in the top six and he didn't manage it. adding to that he had almost a complete overhaul mid season. In short the facts don't lie he did a good job of keeping us up last season, but when it comes to taking that next step of play offs etc he falls short and always has done.I am willing to see how he goes next season and give him the benefit of doubt for now as i have no choice.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2015, 12:59:48 pm »

Considering we were staring at a drop to the Conference when Wilder arrived I'm happy with the improvement on the field. People are expecting too much too soon and a mid table finish this season is perfectly acceptable to me. Wilder has had to gamble on players out of favour with other clubs so it's no surprise that some work out and others don't. We are constantly told it's a 'top seven budget' which given the seemingly random parameter of seven, must mean it's the seventh highest although I don't know of anyone whose actually seen this list.
I'm less pleased with off the field activities. The only visible results are the dismantling of a stand and a portable tv that sometimes works.
Other trumpeted achievements are floodlights and changing facilities that now meet league 2 requirements. Oh, and a set of photographs on the North Stand wall, I'd forgotten about that.
We are losing staff which doesn't bode well, after all if we are on the brink of a brand new era they would surely want to be part of it.
Report Spam   Logged
JamieNTFC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2015, 13:04:36 pm »

Considering we were staring at a drop to the Conference when Wilder arrived I'm happy with the improvement on the field. People are expecting too much too soon and a mid table finish this season is perfectly acceptable to me. Wilder has had to **** on players out of favour with other clubs so it's no surprise that some work out and others don't. We are constantly told it's a 'top seven budget' which given the seemingly random parameter of seven, must mean it's the seventh highest although I don't know of anyone whose actually seen this list.
I'm less pleased with off the field activities. The only visible results are the dismantling of a stand and a portable tv that sometimes works.
Other trumpeted achievements are floodlights and changing facilities that now meet league 2 requirements. Oh, and a set of photographs on the North Stand wall, I'd forgotten about that.
We are losing staff which doesn't bode well, after all if we are on the brink of a brand new era they would surely want to be part of it.

Couldn't agree with this more
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2015, 17:32:32 pm »

The top seven list? We were 5th highest. I've explained this many times before, I'm not going through it again, if you want to keep your head in the sand, so be it.

I was expecting to finish in the top seven, in fact I'm surprised we haven't. Unlucky with injuries I guess but that's a lame excuse (pardon the pun). Wilder needs to have us thereabouts next season or the knives will start to get sharpened and deservedly so. You may say Wilder worked miracles given the position we were in but hasn't Ronnie Moore done exactly the same thing at Hartlepool this season, maybe even a better job. I wonder what or lord and master on here thinks to that, eh Karl, the manager you wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

As for the title of this thread, well how apt because it's certainly over for me, both at Sixfields (working this week) and on here, I'm ready for my summer break. A waste of a season for me, I'm not happy with a midtable team. I'll see you all pre-season and I look forward to perusing the redevelopment thread to see if anybody can find something original to say. You've got three months. I wont hold my breath.

Good luck Saturday, hope we win for all your sakes, I'd hope to avoid finishing "bottom half" again!

Oh and shoemaker, Cheltenham for fucks sake. Could you be more wrong?
Report Spam   Logged

Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2015, 17:46:00 pm »

Anyway, the point is, we ARE going to be Champions next season.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2015, 19:32:04 pm »

The top seven list? We were 5th highest. I've explained this many times before, I'm not going through it again, if you want to keep your head in the sand, so be it.

I was expecting to finish in the top seven, in fact I'm surprised we haven't. Unlucky with injuries I guess but that's a lame excuse (pardon the pun). Wilder needs to have us thereabouts next season or the knives will start to get sharpened and deservedly so. You may say Wilder worked miracles given the position we were in but hasn't Ronnie Moore done exactly the same thing at Hartlepool this season, maybe even a better job. I wonder what or lord and master on here thinks to that, eh Karl, the manager you wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

As for the title of this thread, well how apt because it's certainly over for me, both at Sixfields (working this week) and on here, I'm ready for my summer break. A waste of a season for me, I'm not happy with a midtable team. I'll see you all pre-season and I look forward to perusing the redevelopment thread to see if anybody can find something original to say. You've got three months. I wont hold my breath.

Good luck Saturday, hope we win for all your sakes, I'd hope to avoid finishing "bottom half" again!

Oh and shoemaker, Cheltenham for fucks sake. Could you be more wrong?

Have a good summer, Marvo. Hopefully we all will, and then we go again. Re the redevelopment, if there is nothing original being said in three months time, then I'd imagine there really would be (even more) cause for concern.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2015, 20:36:08 pm »

Where's the list?
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2015, 21:10:40 pm »

We're going to finish where I expected, I'll let you know in July as to whether you should bet on us being in the mix this time next year.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2015, 21:53:21 pm »

Enjoy the summer marvo.
I really feel for Cheltenham,a good team with a decent set of fans.
Fancy following our unsuccessful mantra of youth loans and short term contracts oh and the appointment of Gary two relegations Johnson.
There for the grace of God went the cobblers.
Have a good off season and come back refreshed and ready for more banter come August.
Up the tayn😀
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: