The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 14:08:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Number 2 goal keepers

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Number 2 goal keepers  (Read 2331 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:43:17 am »

I was having this conversation on Saturday after the game...I made the point that at this level, what exactly is the point of having a number 2 goal keeper?

In all of my time being a Cobblers supporter, I have never known the number 2 keeper to successfully replace the number 1 choice mid season other than when Bunn did so with Harper...and of course, Harper was soon on his way.

Basically, in my opinion its a total and utter waste of a wage. Especially given that you can get a loanee in at any time...

I would much rather us splash out big time on ONE keeper...stick the youth team keeper on the bench...and have an extra outfield player.

The only argument for having two is that they can train together, but surely a keeper is better at practicing catching the ball, saving shots etc which he can do better training with outfield players!

Just wondered what other people thought?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

andycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:55:57 am »

totally agree, and if they were to save that wage then maybe we could get a keeper of the calibre of bunn even if only on a season loan.
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:05:33 am »

totally agree, and if they were to save that wage then maybe we could get a keeper of the calibre of bunn even if only on a season loan.

My thoughts exactly. A combo of Duke and Jahal in the matchday 18 or Bunn/Nicholls and a kid would probably cost around the same in wages and I know which I would prefer!
Report Spam   Logged
Ryan Amoo 14

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:59:12 am »

I was having this conversation on Saturday after the game...I made the point that at this level, what exactly is the point of having a number 2 goal keeper?

In all of my time being a Cobblers supporter, I have never known the number 2 keeper to successfully replace the number 1 choice mid season other than when Bunn did so with Harper...and of course, Harper was soon on his way.

Basically, in my opinion its a total and utter waste of a wage. Especially given that you can get a loanee in at any time...

I would much rather us splash out big time on ONE keeper...stick the youth team keeper on the bench...and have an extra outfield player.

The only argument for having two is that they can train together, but surely a keeper is better at practicing catching the ball, saving shots etc which he can do better training with outfield players!

Just wondered what other people thought?

Bit simplistic to say it just comes down to catching and saving shots! Hell of a lot of interrelation work goes on between the GK and his defensive line.  Probably quite easy with Duke since you know he's not going to leave his goal line without a gun to his head, but defensive patterns and organisation aren't arrived at by fluke.

We maybe haven't got the balance quite right in recent years but having meaningful competition in the hours and hours of training each week is extremely important, even if the same keeper is realistically going to be selected each week, that's why literally every professional club does it.   

Very decent book called 'The Outsider' covers some of evolving and historical nuances of professional goalkeeping if you fancy a read - would recommend.

Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:24:35 am »

Mark Bunn would be the stand out candidate, 30 yrs old,played a decent level of football and out of contract this summer adding to the fact he still has a love for the club. all that said sadly i cant see him signing for ntfc next season.  Cry
Report Spam   Logged
TbananaG

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 09:31:10 am »

Wasn't there talk at some point of Mark Bunn being on 'only' £8k per week when he was making some Prem appearances for Norwich? If that's anything like accurate, the best I'm guessing we could offer would represent something like a 75% pay cut to him.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 09:37:42 am »

Out of contract being the key, plus i don't believed he has played for sometime. still cant see it myself.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 10:02:55 am »

There's a lot to be said for having a seasoned pro as number 2 keeper as he would be able to act as goalkeeping coach for the first choice. He would probably be looking to move towards coaching and this would be a handy stepping stone.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 10:21:32 am »

I would be rendered speechless if we signed Mark Bunn, really really can't see him dropping down to a League 2 side.
Report Spam   Logged
HallamCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 10:51:42 am »

The reason thats often used is "competition". You go out get this big time keeper, and he knows he cant be dropped and is under no pressure as there's a 4ft tall 17yr old on the bench.
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 11:33:11 am »

I'd much rather have Bunn in the team not being challenged by another goalie than anyone else we have had since he left with their supposed challengers (apart from the one season of Nicholls)
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 11:53:52 am »

The reason thats often used is "competition". You go out get this big time keeper, and he knows he cant be dropped and is under no pressure as there's a 4ft tall 17yr old on the bench.

A loan keeper could be brought in at any time. So I cannot agree with this.

Amoo makes a good point and one I accept, However if it means we can have one 'super keeper' and take the risk, on balance I still would rather do that.

Keepers are different to outfield players in that they don't have to be as fit, or perhaps even as committed. Take that as intended. They are either good or not. Get the right lad in (eg Bunn) and that becomes a non issue in any case.

For me, a number 2 keeper is a luxury.
Report Spam   Logged
Ryan Amoo 14

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 11:57:02 am »

I would be rendered speechless if we signed Mark Bunn, really really can't see him dropping down to a League 2 side.

Ditto.  Unless he has a frankly terrifying level of fondness for the club there must be far better options out there for him! 
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 14:12:14 pm »

At 30 Bunn is absolutely not going to sign for us.

Whilst a new first choice goalkeeper has to be part of the plan for 15/16 for longer term planning I actually think if we get all the other elements right Duke would not necessarily be a weak link in our automatic promotion season side.

Our recent loan choices have clearly been inferior although interestingly a couple of years ago we had 3 loan keepers who were all better than Duke. Returning to the point I agree a relatively highly paid number 2 is a waste - have a youngster but be prepared to play him in an emergency.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 17:26:50 pm »

So who is Bunn going to sign for? He hasn't made the bench for Norwich this season and it must be nearly 2 years since he played a first team game. I can't see another Championship club coming in for him, so unless one of the bigger League 1 clubs, Sheff Utd or the 3 nearest teams to us, are interested, why could we not sign him? Walsall, Colchester and other clubs like them really can't offer much more than us and it seems he has a bit of attachment to NTFC , so I don't think its totally unrealistic.
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 17:39:29 pm »

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30536497
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 17:56:19 pm »

Bunn isn't good enough to be a first choice at a club in the top two divisions.
He is a safe pair of hands in an emergency, similar to how people have proposed on here for a 2nd choice keeper at our level.
Good keeper with many skills worthy of an outstanding keeper but his height and reach is his big deficiency in his overall ability to be able to hold his own in the top two divisions for any length of time.  Opposition teams know this, which is confirmed by the amount of crosses and shots from distance they put in whenever he is playing.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 17:57:39 pm »

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1/3239254/ShowPost.aspx
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Mobile User Search Combination
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 18:55:42 pm »

Not flavour of the month with the management or the fans at Norwich then.
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 19:05:06 pm »

So who is Bunn going to sign for? He hasn't made the bench for Norwich this season and it must be nearly 2 years since he played a first team game. I can't see another Championship club coming in for him, so unless one of the bigger League 1 clubs, Sheff Utd or the 3 nearest teams to us, are interested, why could we not sign him? Walsall, Colchester and other clubs like them really can't offer much more than us and it seems he has a bit of attachment to NTFC , so I don't think its totally unrealistic.

Because he will probably end up at a better run, more ambitious and more upwardly mobile club such as Burton.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: