The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 23:37:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Will we ever be a big club?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will we ever be a big club?  (Read 7283 times)
nirthamptonjim

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: August 25, 2015, 21:00:59 pm »

Small Stadium?
Not A lot of Money?
Small Fan Base?
Possible some of the highest Caliber Managers in League Two In The Last 10 years?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LeeleeSTAR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 21:03:34 pm »

Is the correct answer no?
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 21:08:40 pm »

Are we much different to Bournemouth, Cardiff, Swansea, Fulham, Wigan, Stoke. Just look back 20years in particular at the 1997 play off final and semi final. Look at how many people Swansea took to Wembley, the home gates of Wigan, Swansea and Cardiff. Things can change, so who knows. But doubtful, the biggest clubs will always be the biggest clubs
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 21:20:02 pm »

Never. If it's a big club you're after, move on.
Report Spam   Logged
oop_north

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 21:21:54 pm »

Is the correct answer no?

Yes.  Errrr, No.   Errrrr..... confused   Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
nirthamptonjim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 21:22:07 pm »

Good answer, Yes we are as big as Bournemouth, Not got the fan base of the others. However if the club called Milton something can emerge from nothing then I'm sure any club can? I await in anticipation of our new owners.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 21:24:18 pm »

Good answer, Yes we are as big as Bournemouth, Not got the fan base of the others. However if the club called Milton something can emerge from nothing then I'm sure any club can? I await in anticipation of our new owners.
Don't hold your breath Jim
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 21:27:44 pm »

Its all to do with money and YES we can, if Wigan can we can. Wheeler has pulled out of Wigan now look at them..

If we pumped 100M into the Cobblers get great players and fancy stadium easily.
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
nirthamptonjim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 21:29:37 pm »

Montgomery, i am not able to move on. I was born in Northampton and although have not lived there for many years i have a loyalty to the club from the town i was born in.
Report Spam   Logged
Montgomery Eypoke III

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 21:34:13 pm »

Me too Jim.

As such we are both stuck with the tinpot, sh@tty little club we inherited from our forefathers.

Acceptance is the key though. Accept it for the ride thst it is. Enjoy the occasional and relative highs, appreciate that all the lows make those highs a little bit higher and don't hope for too much more.
Report Spam   Logged
phil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 21:45:25 pm »

Montgomery, i am not able to move on. I was born in Northampton and although have not lived there for many years i have a loyalty to the club from the town i was born in.

To right mate well said
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler1991

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 22:06:15 pm »

There are 92 clubs in the football league and not all of them can be at the top. On the other hand, clubs rise and fall all the time so hopefully we can be in the former when/if we get new owners. Life is long and it is entirely possible we might see our beloved NTFC play in the Premiership and the Conference within said lifetime but hopefully not the latter.

You may as well go back in time to 1765 and ask if the British Empire will ever fall.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 22:21:27 pm »

I don't suppose you are Northampton born, London based, and of Indian decent by any chance, are you? Grin
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 06:56:53 am »

Jim, the answer to your question is "Yes" but highly unlikely. It's simple really. Had for whatever reason Roman Abramovich decided to pump his money into little old Northampton Town FC, we'd now be in the Premiership playing in front of sell-out crowds. People love winners, it's as simple as that and we have a massive area to pull in new fans from, devoid of a Premiership presence.

The ironic or sad thing is, the majority on here would no longer be supporting the club because they couldn't afford the astronomical match day tickets but I'm afraid that's the nature of things. The big fish on here in this tiny pool would suddenly because minnows in the vast sea of the Premiership. Conversely you would be able to watch the Cobblers on the TV regularly and you probably wouldn't be able to name the teams in League 2, let alone who is top and who is bottom.
Report Spam   Logged

St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 07:13:57 am »

Possible some of the highest Caliber Managers in League Two In The Last 10 years?

Huh? Really?

Some of the clueless perhaps
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
guest2608

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 07:30:41 am »

Oh excellent ....another doom loop thread. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 07:34:27 am »

We've just got the best part of half a million from the Toney sale and cup receipts. This will pay half of our wage bill for the year. Sadly it's how most league two clubs operate.
The monkey on our back is that stupid loan, so most of it will probably be servicing that. That is why the budget is clearly smaller this season to anyone with a pair of eyes. Do you think we are paying it out of extra programme sales?! We could be using what's left of the loan to pay the loan of course but that wouldn't be very clever.

We need someone with a few more bob and a lot more luck to ever get to the Championship level again.
Report Spam   Logged
John

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 08:22:54 am »

That is why the budget is clearly smaller this season to anyone with a pair of eyes.

I disagree with that on the basis that this seasons team, if missing a few cogs, is clearly better than last and the likes of Clarke, Buchanan, Adams, Potter etc didn't come her on peanuts, plus of course we still have two high earners that we are unable to rid ourselves of.

Basically I think you're wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

guest49

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 08:55:49 am »

I disagree with that on the basis that this seasons team, if missing a few cogs, is clearly better than last and the likes of Clarke, Buchanan, Adams, Potter etc didn't come her on peanuts, plus of course we still have two high earners that we are unable to rid ourselves of.

Basically I think you're wrong.

Fair enough. We'll probably never know but DC's terminology changed in one of his recent interviews.
The normal tag line was top six, he recently said "competitive", which could mean anything from top to bottom, depending on who you are competing with.

I don't actually think it makes that much difference anyway. If most teams are split but a couple of hundred grand, that could easily be a couple of your better players injured or off form.
Report Spam   Logged
felipefelop

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 09:22:16 am »

There are 92 clubs in the football league and not all of them can be at the top. On the other hand, clubs rise and fall all the time so hopefully we can be in the former when/if we get new owners. Life is long and it is entirely possible we might see our beloved NTFC play in the Premiership and the Conference within said lifetime but hopefully not the latter.

You may as well go back in time to 1765 and ask if the British Empire will ever fall.

^^^ This ^^^

It also depends on money too (unfortunately)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: