The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 03:37:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Future

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Future  (Read 1447 times)
bungle

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Mobile User Combination
« on: November 27, 2015, 11:26:36 am »

As the dust settles on our seemingly miraculous last-minute reprieve, I can't stop myself from indulging in some speculation about our future as a club. In his interviews so far, Kelvin Thomas is very sensibly focusing on the present moment and avoiding bombastic Cardoza-esque soundbites about '5 year plans' and 'Championship football'. This kind of down-to-earth pragmatism is a breath of fresh air following the bulls*** propaganda and unrealistic expectations we've been fed for years; long may it continue. However, I'm feeling good about the club for the first time in a long time and I'd like to dream a little.

On the Pitch

For me, Chris Wilder is the most tactically astute manager we've had in a long, long time. Making a 4-2-3-1 pressing game work in League Two is a tall order but Wilder's increasingly astute recruitment has made it possible. People who castigated him during our 'blip' last season were forgetting that he was still burdened with last minute panic signings like Sinclair and high earning non-regulars like Tozer. The rehabilitation and remoulding of O'Toole as a all-action deep-lying midfielder is a testament to CW's man-management skills and skills on the training ground.

How can we keep improving on the pitch and ensure we establish ourselves as an enduring force in League One (something we've failed to do in the last twenty years)?

1. Pull out all the stops to retain the current first 11, including Adam Smith who will surely attract suitors in January. (I reckon if we'd had Smith during the Calamity Archer period last season then we would have made the play-offs.)
2. Invest in a decent training ground in a bid to reduce our appalling injury record and to provide fresh impetus to our youth development program. (Number two priority after the East Stand IMO)
3. Sign/develop a pacey centre back (still a potential area of weakness IMO). I say 'develop' because Rod MacDonald has shown signs that he might develop into the answer here.
4. Sign/develop a back up/long term successor to Richards as the '9'.
5. Introduce a proper, Swansea-style top-to-bottom football philosophy based on the good work shown by the first team. Wilder has shown that you can get results at this level by playing the ball on the floor and pressing high up the pitch in the manner of the great European teams. It would be great if we could produce our own young players who are comfortable playing that system. I don't want to ever return to watching Boothroyd-style hoofball where long throws are the main source of entertainment.

Of the pitch  

The East Stand is the obvious priority here. I think we need to keep our expectations fairly modest here: a completed stand, circa 8000 capacity and some viable executive boxes would be a minor miracle given what's gone on. The likes of Walsall have proven that you can flourish at the top end of League One with a compact but efficient set up which maximises 24 hour income - that's the model I'd like to see us emulate in the short to medium term, whilst leaving the possibility of further expansion as and when we need it.

Thomas at [urlhttp://www.skysports.com/football/news/11739/10080450/northampton-town-owner-kelvin-thomas-on-his-plans-for-the-club]the moment[/url] is coming across as the opposite of Cardoza: a straight-talker with genuine football knowledge derived from playing and coaching experience. Let's hope he continues to communicate and manage expectations more effectively than his predecessor.

As a fanbase

This saga has been a wake up call for many of us. I was one of the many credulous souls who bought into Cardoza's rhetoric and was blinded by talk of top-seven budgets and high profile managerial appointments. The early sceptics and naysayers on here have been proven right three times over, but often the serious concerns and genuinely insightful forensic investigation was lost in a general fog of outlandish conspiracy theories which detracted from the movement's credibility.

Clearly the trust and the fanbase as a whole need to do a better job of holding the club's owners to account - whether that be David Cardoza, Kelvin Thomas or a some mythical Indian Consortium. There is a real need for sceptical, experienced, well-qualified voices on the trust's board. Meanwhile it will be interesting to see whether the trust's fighting fund can be transmuted into a real commitment to increasing the size of the fanbase's stake and control within the club. Personally, I think it would be really interesting if the trust did some research into alternative ownership models in places like Germany. It would be a fitting tribute to Brian Lomax if we as a fanbase could once again be at the vanguard of new developments in fan involvement.

Anyway, I recognise that we're far from out of the woods yet, but where would football fans be without a bit of self-indulgent dreaming....
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

LeeleeSTAR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 11:37:35 am »

We're doomed!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 12:08:13 pm »

Meanwhile it will be interesting to see whether the trust's fighting fund can be transmuted into a real commitment to increasing the size of the fanbase's stake and control within the club.

i hope not
Report Spam   Logged
angrydad

View Profile
Level 5 50 Posts Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 12:19:03 pm »

What a great post and I agree with all of it.

To add to the fanbase section:

In the face of adversity - lots of good work was done, fundraising - communication between our own fans - other clubs etc. 

We need to keep this up.  It is this *peacetime* work that should go on to build the supporter base. 

The teyn brand stuff - excellent work - maybe it should have been there before, but sometimes troubles focus the mind eh?  Looking forward to more stuff, and I will be ordering my shirt soon.

The trust *need* to get a mailing list.  Relying on just social media and traditional media made it possible to miss statements - but a direct email shot even to those who aren't trust members is definitely needed.  People needed to see the good work they were doing. 

There are some on social media who do a lot of good for the club in their positive interactions.  "Social media angels" - drumming up interest and support - these supporters need to keep it up.  Its not all about the trust.  There is definitely some fan power to be had.

The club itself in recent weeks has been responding to queries on twitter - much better - interaction is what we crave.   The twitter feed in the past has been totally disconnected responding only in retweets.  Lets be kept in the loop about the stadium redevelopment (something woeful even at the start - granted a token gesture was made regarding what fans wanted - but was this published?) , and any other supporter related business.  Its most definitely not a one man club.

Finally and probably not relevant here but I'm going to say it anyway - one thing that has always made me frustrated about Sixfields is rarely I sit near anyone I know.  At the county ground - you found your spot with the people you were with each week.  I know its a big ask, but could they make the tickets in, maybe the North Stand, sit anywhere?  Get there early and sit next to your mates.   It might make the unattractive proposition of sitting there a bit more palatable for some.
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 12:21:59 pm »

A completed east stand will hold 7800 if completed in present naff condition, which should we gain promotion next season will force several all ticket games, the more attractive games, the ones you need to encourage new fans to come along pay on the day and watch but cant.
Having just space for 1200 visitors with our central location is financial suicide, should be double that as a dozen league 1 clubs could easily sell 2000.
Although Sixfields has never been able to sustain L1 football, hopefully the new regime will address the glaring inadequacy and allow the club to compete and thrive next time we gain promotion.
Over to you kelvin Cool
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 12:39:10 pm »

As far as fans go we need to be together and stop the nit picking, wether you goto every game or occasionally it doesnt matter, some have the luxury of being able to afford to week in week out , others do not, doesnt make them any less of a fan. Its proven over the last few weeks how united we can be, lets keep the togetherness and be the 12th man
Report Spam   Logged
guest2539

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 13:41:07 pm »

I suggest the liaison between fans is focused through the Trust, especially with the new record number of members. For those with issues with the Trust join and amend from within.

The East stand requires executive boxes the full length and as many comfortable WIDER seats (like MK) as money will allow.

The South stand doubled and then the corners filled in, for a chance of an atmosphere, when money allows.

Most important for KT and also fans is to raise enough money for a training ground. Be it owned by NTFC or money raised by the fans and put in the name of a supporters trust so there is a tangible asset for any future circumstances.

COME ON OUR COBBLERS!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 14:03:17 pm »

Yeah no pressure KT....
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 14:36:51 pm »

KT on Radio Northampton tonight taking question live from 6pm on Friday Night Sport...

I've tweeted (THANK YOU!) first and foremost!

1) Then asked about possible permanent training facility...

2) Anyway the current East Stand design can resemble in anyway the original East Stand plan ie boxes all the way along it....

3) Possible contract extension for CW and Adam Smith as they are our two most valuable assets atm imo

Heard KT on Radio Northampton this morning & he sounds such a nice guy & genuine fella...you really do believe what he says...unlike you know who!!!

UTC Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
RowN

View Profile
Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 14:56:49 pm »

Can we get Furlong back?? Would be a shame for him to miss the promotion party!
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 14:57:00 pm »

I suggest the liaison between fans is focused through the Trust, especially with the new record number of members. For those with issues with the Trust join and amend from within.

The East stand requires executive boxes the full length and as many comfortable WIDER seats (like MK) as money will allow.

The South stand doubled and then the corners filled in, for a chance of an atmosphere, when money allows.

Most important for KT and also fans is to raise enough money for a training ground. Be it owned by NTFC or money raised by the fans and put in the name of a supporters trust so there is a tangible asset for any future circumstances.

COME ON OUR COBBLERS!!!!
Totally with you on all that. Mind you, the fans could own the training ground but then an owner who fell out with us could just stop using it and train elsewhere!
Report Spam   Logged
southeastcobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 16:00:00 pm »

Does this mean we can actually put the fans village on the to-do list?  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

** 31 UNDEFEATED **
WWWWWWWWWWDDWDWWDDDDWDWWDDDDDWW
guest2608

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 18:26:31 pm »

A completed east stand will hold 7800 if completed in present naff condition,

Wow....15,000 capacity then  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: