The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 14:26:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Promotion.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Promotion.  (Read 19860 times)
Ralap

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: January 20, 2016, 12:25:18 pm »

I've been watching the Cobblers for fifty years now and in that time I've I've experienced us being relegated three more times than promoted. Off the top of my head I think I've witnessed us promoted from the Fourth division to the third five times now and on three of those occasions we've come straight down. The other two I think we lasted two seasons before being relegated again.
We possibly have a current capacity smaller than at any time in our history.
If we get promoted what  do you think we will/could do different to assure us solidifying a position in the league above and maybe look at getting into the Championship at some point?

There would have to be a long term plan for advancing the club set out by the current board. Or will we just keep relying on luck which we seemed to do in the past. As quite a few of us more mature fans knew last night and the last few home games proved we have a very good fan base that will come out to play at the sniff of success.

Interested in others thoughts in what we would need to do to not just fall straight back into this hell hole of a division.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 12:32:45 pm »

I think this squad is better placed to cope with L1 than the 2006 one because that side was built on aging stars (Dyche, Taylor, Jess, Harper, to a lesser extent McGleish), whereas this team doesn’t really have any players like that with the exception of Richards.
In 1997 we were always likely to run out of steam (and Atkins got found out a little bit at the higher leve). I’m too young for the 1987 side but by all accounts that was an all-star team which was prime to be picked off by the bigger clubs when the word was out.

The number one priority surely has to be sorting out the east stand – we’re losing gate money every week as it is, and with much bigger away followings that will hit us even harder. That money can then be used to bolster the squad, improve contracts so players don't leave etc
Report Spam   Logged

there's only one Robbie Curtis
Razor

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 12:35:56 pm »

Keeping hold of our best players would be a good start. If we do end up selling have to get a fair price and then re-invest in the playing squad.

We had a very good League One squad 8 or 9 years ago and failed to do the above and we're only just beginning to recover from that bargain basement exodus.

That and fan / business engagement needs to continue to improve. We seem to be moving in the right direction now and the more the club connects with the town, the more the support base will continue to grow.

It also goes without saying we need to get the East Stand open ASAP.
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 12:45:31 pm »

You're right in that we never sustain a place in the higher level(s) for very long. I've been watching for 30 years and seen 4 promotions from the bottom division and I know we have never survived longer than 3 seasons in the 3rd tier. Infrastructure and lack of investment has no doubt played a part. Increase in capacity and corporate facilities will help bring in extra income to re-invest in the squad to keep us there and one day push on to the next level. I'm sure KT is well aware of the need to do that and will do all he can with the funds available.
If only we could get our hands on £10million to facilitate this bright new future...........
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 12:48:27 pm »

Keeping Wilder appears key in my opinion. He Knows how to build and evolve a squad, offering 3 year contracts to our better players enables us to build every season as opposed to constantly starting from scratch. I personally believe we are only a couple of players short of having a side capable of holding their own in the league above.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 12:56:48 pm »

Keeping Wilder appears key in my opinion. He Knows how to build and evolve a squad, offering 3 year contracts to our better players enables us to build every season as opposed to constantly starting from scratch. I personally believe we are only a couple of players short of having a side capable of holding their own in the league above.

This.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 13:00:41 pm »

Do we really want to be promoted to become a boring mid table team who can hold it's own, where is the fun in that?
Give me contesting for or against promotion and relegation any day...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Razor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 13:09:39 pm »

Do we really want to be promoted to become a boring mid table team who can hold it's own, where is the fun in that?

When are we ever one of those? Grin

Important thing to remember reading this thread is that we haven't got promoted yet. Not by a long shot.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 13:15:02 pm »

Give me contesting for or against promotion and relegation any day...

We've gone from almost certain relegation in year 1, to 'boring' midtable in year 2, to title challenging in year 3. I would like us to avoid the first step in the League One please  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 14:23:53 pm »

It’s an important point re Wilder. We need to understand that there will be a bad spell under him and that when that happens, we don’t immediately start crying for him to be sacked.

Sacking managers hasn’t worked for pretty much our entire existence, so maybe we should try hanging on to this one for the long term (I’m talking 10, 15, 20 years).
Report Spam   Logged

there's only one Robbie Curtis
guest48

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 15:10:17 pm »

It’s an important point re Wilder. We need to understand that there will be a bad spell under him and that when that happens, we don’t immediately start crying for him to be sacked.

We had a very bad spell under CW in November & December 2014 where we won about 1 game in 12, but then we signed Ricky Holmes  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 15:18:48 pm »

we must also acknowledge that we attracted players by offering 3 year contracts. Some of these were questioned at the time. I think we should leave it to the manager.
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 15:23:39 pm »

We should have a 5 year plan in place...  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 15:29:38 pm »

we must also acknowledge that we attracted players by offering 3 year contracts. Some of these were questioned at the time. I think we should leave it to the manager.

True. But football wouldn't be what it is without a bit of healthy debate surrounding manager's decisions  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 15:58:59 pm »

True. But football wouldn't be what it is without a bit of healthy debate surrounding manager's decisions  Tongue

Agreed, so long as it doesn't descend into a lynch mob mentality...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 16:03:11 pm »

Agreed, so long as it doesn't descend into a lynch mob mentality...

I agree, I'd be sad if I ever saw Wilder get that treatment. Given what he's steered us through over the past 12 months.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 17:03:18 pm »

He saved us from what looked like certain relegation and now we're 2 goals scored off of outright top spot.
Oh and when it looked like we were about to go out of business he phoned his mate up to get him to come and rescue the club.
He should have had a statue built by now.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 17:18:13 pm »

He saved us from what looked like certain relegation and now we're 2 goals scored off of outright top spot.
Oh and when it looked like we were about to go out of business he phoned his mate up to get him to come and rescue the club.

Well said, the Notts County speech means he can f*** my girlfriend if he wants
Report Spam   Logged

GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 17:24:23 pm »

Yeah, I get all that.....but he's done F All about the West Stand toliet entrances/exits, and Tea is still £2.10 a cup on the concourse! Sort it out Wilder!! Wink Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 18:09:42 pm »

I'm just waiting for the first clown to call for his head, I've just read over on Faceache some tw@t saying we  "Need to start upping our game a bit" Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: