The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:29:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Boring and predictable!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boring and predictable!  (Read 7448 times)
abington_cobbler

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 20:03:07 pm »

Im with Ted on this one. Why is everyone so satisfied about 19th in January? The aim for this season was promotion. It's all nice being 2 or 3 wins from the play offs but if we're still 2 or 3 off in May, it all counts for nothing, and we're still sat in League 2 with the s*** of the Football League and relying on crap loanee strikers and the whole cycle will be repeated next season.

I agree with what Ted is saying about the form and league position the problem I have is his "I am better than everyone else" attitude. His self righteous bulls*** is really making look like an arse
Report Spam   Logged
brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 20:08:17 pm »

to win in this league you've just got to score more than the other side,

Isn't that the same in every league though? Mind you, I take your point. 75% of this division is just happy to be here.
Report Spam   Logged

there's only one Robbie Curtis
brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 20:09:15 pm »

I agree with what Ted is saying about the form and league position the problem I have is his "I am better than everyone else" attitude. His self righteous bulls*** is really making look like an arse

especially as, if you ask him a question, you just get some meaningless flannel back.
Report Spam   Logged

Ted

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 20:09:34 pm »

Im with Ted on this one. Why is everyone so satisfied about 19th in January? The aim for this season was promotion. It's all nice being 2 or 3 wins from the play offs but if we're still 2 or 3 off in May, it all counts for nothing, and we're still sat in League 2 with the sh*t of the Football League and relying on crap loanee strikers and the whole cycle will be repeated next season.

That's exactly how I see it !  We've learnt nothing from last season, on or off the pitch. 5th from bottom at the turn of the year is just plainly unacceptable.There is no progress whatsoever with regard to results or quality of performance. However, I really can't see anything changing whatsoever, because we have no leaders on the pitch and no leaders off it.
Report Spam   Logged
brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 20:16:32 pm »

Well we'd won 2 on the bounce before today and hadn't conceded a goal since Nov 23rd. Is that not progress? It's only one game, keep your wig(s) on.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 20:18:16 pm »

.....Mr Sampson. It was dire.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
TheBigPicture

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 20:20:30 pm »

Isn't that the same in every league though?

Yes, of course... point being there is more a 'method of thinking' at the higher level in how to win games and how to see them out.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 20:23:01 pm »

We were always going to concede goals at Crewe, they do score a lot, but the complete failure to even trouble their keeper was unacceptable. Leon looked sluggish and off the pace (unusual for him) and Jarvis just looked disinterested. Osman and Wedderburn are too similar and sit too deep to both be playing in central midfield together without a Thornton or someone similar being sat in front of them in a midfield three. The net result of all this being that we sat very deep for long periods and the few chances we created were all hopeful efforts from wide positions from the likes of Davis and Johnson, or high balls drifted in which the keeper had no trouble dealing with.

Losing at Gresty Road is no disgrace- it's a difficult place to go and a couple of teams have been done for 6 or 7 there this season- but the set-up today was far too defensive (which in fairness, may be a situation forced on Sammo by Gilligan and Thornton's absences) and it never gave us a chance. We need Mr Harrad to sign up asap and as previously mentioned, we can't afford to wait until it's too late in games before switching things around a bit. I really wish Sammo had had the balls to haul Jarvis off before half time and put McKay on. It was only with his introduction that we started to look like posing a threat. Jarvis and King are set to go back to their parent clubs after Monday, I believe, and I wouldn't extend either's spells here.
Report Spam   Logged

4everdelayed

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 20:24:52 pm »

Well we'd won 2 on the bounce before today and hadn't conceded a goal since Nov 23rd. Is that not progress? It's only one game, keep your wig(s) on.

Haha! Well, for one, that's not true unless you're only counting league games, and two we've only played two league games. And Stevenage was probably the least deserving win you'll ever see.
Report Spam   Logged
brickowski

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 20:31:07 pm »

Well spotted! It says nothing about 'deserve' in the record books, it just says 1-0. Dunn was immense that day.
Report Spam   Logged

guest47

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 20:48:19 pm »

I somehow doubt the stats will back me up, but anyway we only seem to likely to score when Thornton is playing.
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2011, 20:56:39 pm »

All I know is that is scares me about the future of our club when I couldn't give a flying fcuk what happens on or off the pitch.

You know I was going to start a thread entitled "losing interest" but your statement will do just fine.
Report Spam   Logged
1 for the team

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2011, 21:12:51 pm »

we need strikers/defenders we take on loan players who are no better than we have and send striker/defender out on loan pointless (seb harris) i dont know why we have not given him a chance up front we know he is good in the air and with a bit of coaching i am sure he would be better than any loanee we have taken on
Report Spam   Logged
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2011, 21:20:00 pm »

I thought it would be plainly obvious by now that we have a management team who don't know their arse from their elbow. The ineptude has been mind boggling from day one this season, and the truth is, nothing has been learned since the Torquay debacle. Anyone who doesn't see this must either be blind or be deluded in the extreme. I didn't go today, and I don't really care if anyone says I'm not a real fan for staying away. I just hate paying good money to watch total s***e.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2011, 21:29:33 pm »

Let's face it. It's been bollox for fcuking ages.

How far back do you want to go?
Report Spam   Logged
wazzacobbler

Warrington Cobblers Supporters

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 21:52:40 pm »

Do you think that we were perhaps spoilt in the 00's when the Cardoza's and Ellis first took charge?

I mean, I'd give anything to have a Martin Smith, Josh Low or Andy Kirk (yes, even Kirk) in our squad right now.

Let's face it, the calibre of player that we have on our books right now, and can realisticaly look to attract, are a far cry from those under Calderwood. Do you really think a 100% fit Leon McKenzie would be playing at Northampton Town right now?

Today was ridiculous. I'm not a footballer, I never made the school team (the same team as Chris Carruthers and Luke Chambers by the way) and I'm the worse player on my work's 5-a-side team but I could see where we were going wrong today. Instead of looking for and playing the simple pass, we looked long. Mostly to a injured Mckenzie who couldn't run onto the ball and was surrounded by 2 or 3 defenders every time he got near it.

The midfield were far too defensive. People are right, Osman and Wedderburn shouldn't be paired together as they are essentially the same player. Defensive ball winners. I don't have a clue what has happened to Beckwith. He was awful today. Completely lacking in confidence and unable to clear a long ball forward with a dangerous horse (Clayton Donaldson) chasing him down. What ever happened to "if in doubt, kick it out" eh?!

Then you have Tozer who looks for all the world like he could do a decent job but can't judge the flight of a ball to save his life. His positioning is awful and he will give the opposition at least 3 chances a match. How is that a brute of a lower league defender can't coach defence to a player deemed good enough to be on Newcastle's books!

Jarvis needs to go back to Orient. If all he is going to do is stand around with his back to the action and look up to the heavens as if to ask God for divine intervention, he should give his wages back.

I have loved the ups and downs of previous years but nothing has come close to being this boring. The thread title chosen by Ted is spot on. I am bored of the lack of entertainment. Cardoza said a few weeks/months agothat this was the most entertaining football he had witnessed since buying the club. Bullsh*t! How can 2 shots on target be entertaining?

I'm all for being positive and there is nothing more that would please me than Sammo taking us into League 1 and maybe further but it's not going to happen. A better manager with more experience would indeed cost more but would also get more out of these players and get rid of the deadwood. I know we have a limited budget but there are better players out there and with a better manager they would be interested in playing for Northampton Town.

In previous regime's I have been bothered about a manager leaving the club. Whether it was Calderwood leaving when I wanted him to stay or Gray going a year too late, I was upset or happy about it. With Sammo I get the feeling I wouldn't be bothered. Legend that he was for us as a player, he isn't performing. If a player doesn't perform he gets dropped. Is it time to drop the non-performing manager? I don't know. I wouldn't want to be the person to tell Sammo to leave us but sometimes needs must.

Up The Cobblers!
Report Spam   Logged

Host and Producer of the It's All Cobblers To Me podcast
@CobblersToMe @charlescommins
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 23:00:31 pm »

The trouble with this forum, and indeed the whole fan base, is that it's overrun with life's losers and council house dwellers who are so content with mediocrity that they never complain about anything. Whether it be threadbare carpets in the guest house on their yearly escape to Skeggy  or a broken toy that comes with their greasy  McDonalds happy meal, they just accept it. I feel like bloody shaking them, and shouting in their lug holes that life doesn't have to be like that.There must be others on here who share my passion for the better things in life. Going back to the football, I suppose if we were to manage a win against Lincoln, which we bloody should do, all the losers will be happy again. Well I won't, because I look at the big picture, This club is going nowhere !

I see, so some people don't shout Sammo out everytime we lose a game and the "whole" of the fan base is apparently full of life's losers. Don't really think I can see a link there but then I must be somebody content with mediocrity so I obviously don't have any passion.

For the record I thought today was incredibly poor. Crewe (Donaldson really) looked alot better than we did and we didn't know what to do once we got to the final third. Jarvis is not the answer neither was King the striking problem has to be sorted out now or as others said this season could get worse than it has been so far. The example somebody else has said about Herbert was spot on, he had the beating of the last defender and yet he stopped the fact that Crewe ship loads of goals surely should have encouraged our players to get some shots away but it seemed the opposite.
This could well have been my last away game for the season because I really can't afford to shell out 100 quid for a day out (me and kids) when realistically we are not going to get many away results.

So Ted,
I have passion for the club otherwise I wouldn't go but just because I (like other fans) don't see everything in the same manner as you does not mean I'm somebody beneath you. You just sound like a bitter, arrogant prat to me and I'd rather go and live in a council house than have the same traits it appears you have.
Thank goodness we have your take on the "big" picture otherwise I really don't know how we would cope.

Oh and "Happy" new year. Glad to see it didn't even take a day for the insults to come out.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 23:10:34 pm »

I'll leave that up to you.......

20:47 27th January 2009
Report Spam   Logged
PineWoody

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 4
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2011, 23:20:59 pm »

I haven't been to many games this season, but decided to go up today, and my word "boring and predictable" are far too polite. It was complete and utter s*** from our side. Yeah I accept the standard of football in this league can be awful from times to time, but there was nothing of any note from our side today. We didn't have one meaningful shot of target, with only Beckwith's deflected cross and Osman's (who actually was quality i thought) long range effort even coming close. The defence may have been s***, and between them and Dunn both goals proberly shouldn't have happened, but in terms of creativity and just generally looking interested, the midfield and "attack" were equally poor if not worse. How so many fans keep going both home and away to watch that I just don't know. I know its about supporting the team and not just being entertained, and occasionally we play much better than that, but it was just f***ing awful.
Report Spam   Logged

GTA Champion - Season 09/10
guest231

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 23:21:13 pm »

Let's face it. It's been bollox for fcuking ages. There are those that dress it up as entertainment and try to convince the realist that we are missing the point. But we all know the truth. You can't polish a turd. When you get multi page threads sticking up for the likes of Gilligan and other totally mediocre players you have to face facts and accept the truth.

I am sick and tired of hearing argument over argument about budgets and initiatives, all leading to the fact that we are a little more than the product of spin and politics. I couldn't give a fcuk about who has the biggest dick on here. All I know is that is scares me about the future of our club when I couldn't give a flying fcuk what happens on or off the pitch. That might sound as if I overrate my support. But I have followed the Cobblers religiously for 40+ years. During that time I have gone for season after season not missing an home or away game. With the exception of one or two games I haven't missed a home game in 30+ years. Now I couldn't give a fcuk what happens. The Cobblers I love was buried and traded for falsehoods, politics, and empire building bastards own personal agendas.

We might not have seen a lot better years ago. But we was raised on moments of inspiration and flickers of genius from hard working honest players, who let us judge them. Rather than building themselves up in the local press, or the club website, hoping that we will swallow the bullsh*t they trot out.

I can't and won't call for Sammos head. Nobody will do a better job in the climate that has been created at the club over recent years. And to be honest, it's only my support for him that keeps me going....  

It's a generation thing Nigel - the importance diminishes as you get older and you actually realise it never was that important (or in my 40 + years of watching was it ever actually that good). It's the whole football product I'm disillusioned with - from the Terry & Rooney antics, to the World Cup bidding process - I'm sure many players are decent people but the premiership has created a far number of monsters and with a fair few wannabees or has-beens from the lower leagues it makes it very difficult to see players as people to admire.

It's my town & my team and I'll always support them but to be honest the passion & enthusiasm is drained - people at the club do try but frankly the whole Sixfields experience is bland & lacking in passion. I guess in truth you cannot really say NTFC are in demise - it is simply stagnent & has been for decades - 6 years ago we had a chance but in my (probably ill informed) opinion a string of bad decisions closed that little window of opportunity - I no longer know who to blame or indeed care. I want the team to win but for me now its a reason to meet with friends have a few beers and occasionally visit some old stomping grounds.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: