The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 12:32:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wycombe

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wycombe  (Read 9479 times)
tcobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2016, 08:50:58 am »

For a team to be successful it needs to be strong in all areas. You need somebody to create the chances and somebody to put them away. Also you need to keep clean sheets, so no problem in defenders winning Man of the Match.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2016, 09:26:38 am »

Isn't anyone concerned that for the third game running the 'Clare Balding' looks like being won by one of our CB's?
When Adam Smith was winning it, earlier in the season, we knew how we were playing...but now?
Are we in a dip and grinding out results, with a loss on the horizon?

I'm not sure a game when we created at least 6 clear shots on goal counts as ground out. We've just played in a more solid manner defensively in the last few games due to the higher standard of opposition rather than any dip in our own standards.

Dagenham was a game I walked away from and said that it was the kind of game a promotion winning side scrapes a win in.
Report Spam   Logged
Daryl Burgess

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2016, 09:32:17 am »

Oh my! Great day and a great result for the cobblers! A very tight affair from start to finish but the boys had just enough about them to succeed and achieve the record. Unfortunately I missed the goal as I had to pop to the little boys room (curse the real ale option in carrs bar! haha).

Onto another tough game mid week, and hopefully one step forward to promotion!

UTC
Report Spam   Logged
Wheresmeticket?

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2016, 09:53:23 am »

Isn't anyone concerned that for the third game running the 'Clare Balding' looks like being won by one of our CB's?
When Adam Smith was winning it, earlier in the season, we knew how we were playing...but now?
Are we in a dip and grinding out results, with a loss on the horizon?

Two points.
I think in a 1-0 victory you will see defenders being given MOTM / winning more plaudits, as it is seen as defending a lead rather than strolling to victory, and we have had two of those.  With our porous defence we would have drawn or lost the last two matches (and the Stanley match) earlier in the season and it is down to the quality of defending that we actually won them, instead.  That improvement deserves recognition.

If a loss "on the horizon" is the worst we have to look forward to I can live with it  Wink
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:59:00 am by Wheresmeticket? » Report Spam   Logged
irthlingboroughcob

Northampton 1965-1988 Irthlingborough 1988-present

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2016, 10:00:04 am »

How was that not a penalty today?  Just seen the video, the Wycombe defender came in feet first, his whole body off the ground.  It was only MArtin's deft footwork that saved both his legs.

Not a penalty, defender slid past and lee's toe kicked defender as he slid through, but never a yellow for simulation tho !!!!
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2016, 12:29:22 pm »

Agree with the posts a couple of pages ago that Wycombe were very 'un-Wycombe' like today. They did commit a few niggly fouls here and there but what team doesn't? But they were nothing like the cynical outfit I saw last year and I thought they looked well drilled and played some decent stuff. Just lacked a cutting edge up front.

I think if they had a bigger squad they'd probably be challenging Oxford and Accrington consistently for third place, but they're still in there for the Play-Offs - and they were by far the best side we've played in this nine game run, ahead of Oxford and Orient.

Wycombe are also a great set of fans and we actually owe their Supporters Trust a lot of thanks for helping ours during the last few weeks under DC.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2016, 12:58:20 pm »

Accurate & fair from Fez but if it was Wycombe rather than us who had taken the lead I think we would have seen gamesmanship in extremis from our opponents. Thankfully not and onwards to York we go.
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2016, 13:15:40 pm »

Accurate & fair from Fez but if it was Wycombe rather than us who had taken the lead I think we would have seen gamesmanship in extremis from our opponents. Thankfully not and onwards to York we go.
Very true.
Report Spam   Logged
claretarmy

View Profile
Level 5 Search Combination
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2016, 13:49:01 pm »

Digging in at times yesterday just shows that the Cobbs now have a bit of everything.

With the games coming thick and fast there is no way you're going to always play free flowing football, it's about clearing your lines at times, defending properly and offering cover for your team mates.

So with that attacking threat, we now have a unit that are getting greeding for clean sheets!! Chris or Alan said that they all spoke out and agreed that if they wanted to achieve promotion they needed to be tighter at the back.

Here's to another couple of 1 nillers before AFC Wimbledon  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2016, 16:49:29 pm »

I despise Wycombe with a passion for all their tactics, gamesmanship, ainsworth, over the last few years but I agree that they were t bad in that sense yesterday, no different to most other teams anyway. I also think we dealt with them much better than I thought we would. We created a few decent chances but only needed to take the one. Happy days again
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2016, 19:23:16 pm »

Personally i thought Wycombe were at best average, we could have destroyed them with the chances we had. They had a bloke on the right who could barely kick a ball.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2016, 19:45:32 pm »

Personally i thought Wycombe were at best average, we could have destroyed them with the chances we had. They had a bloke on the right who could barely kick a ball.

That's how I saw it too. The likes of O'Toole, Buchanan, Maloney were quite poor yesterday and we still managed to pick up a 1-0.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2016, 19:58:16 pm »

Not a penalty, defender slid past and lee's toe kicked defender as he slid through, but never a yellow for simulation tho !!!!

Thought it was a clear penalty and astonished at the yellow card! Better side won although WW were short of two top players! Full backs played well as did Rose with JJOT bit of a muted display.Smith excellent save but in reality we never looked like conceding. Defence overall played ok and consistently too.Holmes was our catalyst, again. Funnily enough WW were top of the league when we played then there and they had a full strength side out! We outplayed them without Holmes !! Collins did well but D'ath like JJOT had a muted game but as stated on here but both contributed by sheer hard work!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 21:50:53 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
defender

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 22, 2016, 08:45:51 am »

On Saturday I had only just said I have missed a couple of games but now I'm here, that I had an urgent 'phone call and had to go out! So I will try the next game !!!
Report Spam   Logged
The CrowMan
Maker of scarecrows.

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2016, 20:19:47 pm »

Brian should get to do this every home game. We could make him a sparkly costume

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: