The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 10:02:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Year of the Cobbler

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Year of the Cobbler  (Read 7400 times)
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 11:18:18 am »

You have to be 'mature' to be a Cobblers fan.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 11:43:04 am »

That comes with age...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2677

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 13:03:53 pm »

That comes with age...
I was taught age has nothing to do with maturity.
It certainly helps to be strong minded and committed if you are a Cobbler.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 13:20:35 pm »

I would love to have the time to write something but I would never meet that deadline with all the work I have on Sad
Report Spam   Logged

pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 17:42:34 pm »

Trouble is with the idea of thousands of words, there is surely going to be many stories that are basically the same, when you've read one you've read all of them! ( supporter not by choice, in my blood, long suffering, more bad times than good etc etc)
Surely better less words and to the point article style musings?
Just my opinion thats all. I am going to write on for my monthly work's magazine/news letter. Maybe I'll forwrd it or post here.
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 19:57:09 pm »

The word count is a maximum. If people want to write less then that is fine. Joe's piece was 'only' a thousand words, but he only had this season to talk about. I had a lifetime of agony - and occasionally ectasy - to talk about.
Report Spam   Logged

After years of boredom, despair, resignation and misery, this is unbound joy.
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 21:14:37 pm »

Rodney, the only Sports Pages Publishing Group I can find is in Texas, and they don't even appear to have a website. Am I missing something? Not trying to poor cold water on anything, I just wondered how you came to tie up with these people? (Assuming these are the publishers you are talking about?)
Report Spam   Logged
Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 21:49:51 pm »

Surrey-based, they sell sports books and memorabilia. They will be marketing the book. The actual publisher will depend on whether NTFC decide to take the book under their wing to add glossy photos etc. (All my previous books were published directly through Amazon but as this is a sports-related venture I'm keen to work with Sports Pages whose owner is a mate. It would work in much the same way that Brian Barron's Cobblers books/magazines were published by the C & E).)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 22:02:16 pm by Rodney » Report Spam   Logged

JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 22:16:02 pm »

Surrey-based, they sell sports books and memorabilia. They will be marketing the book. The actual publisher will depend on whether NTFC decide to take the book under their wing to add glossy photos etc. (All my previous books were published directly through Amazon but as this is a sports-related venture I'm keen to work with Sports Pages whose owner is a mate. It would work in much the same way that Brian Barron's Cobblers books/magazines were published by the C & E).)

Okay, that's good to hear, thanks. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
BigNose

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 22:23:46 pm »

1000 words might be a big problem for me!!!?   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 05:05:30 am »

I had a lifetime of agony - and occasionally ectasy - to talk about.
Thats my point really, almost all supporters and particular those that have an inkling to write, the story is pretty much the same.
To write something different but relevant is a challenge.
Definitely having a go though!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:16:25 am by pattcobb » Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 07:29:27 am »

1000 words might be a big problem for me!!!?   Grin

And me! Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 10:27:23 am »

'To write something different but relevant is a challenge.'

You are spot on. It is difficult. The chapters need to feel like fresh approaches rather than the 'same old' being churned out under a different name. Still, nothing ventured...
Report Spam   Logged

Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 19:17:01 pm »

Still happy to receive any articles, short or long, by the end of May. Gareth Wilsher, as well as writing a piece, is providing the front cover image:
"the image of Rico lifting the League 2 trophy aloft, that would seem the perfect cover image to me!"
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 20:48:48 pm »

And me! Grin

Surely not Shakespear
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2016, 14:08:06 pm »

Just a gentle reminder: please pass me your thoughts on being a football/Cobblers fan and on this fantastic, surreal season, Our book needs filling up with your thought-provoking articles! End of May deadline.
Report Spam   Logged

Crawley Cobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Level 5 Combination
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2016, 14:25:48 pm »

I'll do one. Where would you like it sent to please?
Report Spam   Logged
Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2016, 15:32:36 pm »

I'll do one. Where would you like it sent to please?

I've e-mailed you details and the book!
Report Spam   Logged

Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2016, 18:25:07 pm »

Many thanks to those of you who have promised to write a piece for the book. It will hopefully be an interesting read. I wanted to close the book's Afterword with a note of caution, but do people think that the following is too negative?

Throughout my lifetime of supporting the Cobblers, we have taken the occasional step forward, only to then take two back. We have been stuck in a repeating cycle of promotions which create a short-lived false dawn. The club has been guilty, under numerous regimes, of lacking the ambition or vision to press on. Northampton Town has not owned a training ground since the late 1970s, the current stadium remains a work in progress and the instantly likeable Kelvin Thomas has a number of hurdles to jump over in order to take the club further forward. There is no better time to do this than when you already have momentum. ‘Consolidation’ often means stagnation and it is vital that our club continues to be (realistically) ambitious. While we celebrate a historic season, we need to ensure that the adventure begins here. That is something in which we can all play a role: chairman, manager, staff and us, the supporters. Shoe Army!
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2016, 18:46:09 pm »

Many thanks to those of you who have promised to write a piece for the book. It will hopefully be an interesting read. I wanted to close the book's Afterword with a note of caution, but do people think that the following is too negative?

Throughout my lifetime of supporting the Cobblers, we have taken the occasional step forward, only to then take two back. We have been stuck in a repeating cycle of promotions which create a short-lived false dawn. The club has been guilty, under numerous regimes, of lacking the ambition or vision to press on. Northampton Town has not owned a training ground since the late 1970s, the current stadium remains a work in progress and the instantly likeable Kelvin Thomas has a number of hurdles to jump over in order to take the club further forward. There is no better time to do this than when you already have momentum. ‘Consolidation’ often means stagnation and it is vital that our club continues to be (realistically) ambitious. While we celebrate a historic season, we need to ensure that the adventure begins here. That is something in which we can all play a role: chairman, manager, staff and us, the supporters. Shoe Army!

Thats the spirit Rodney

regards
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: