The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 04:53:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Year of the Cobbler

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Year of the Cobbler  (Read 7393 times)
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2016, 19:34:36 pm »

Many thanks to those of you who have promised to write a piece for the book. It will hopefully be an interesting read. I wanted to close the book's Afterword with a note of caution, but do people think that the following is too negative?

Throughout my lifetime of supporting the Cobblers, we have taken the occasional step forward, only to then take two back. We have been stuck in a repeating cycle of promotions which create a short-lived false dawn. The club has been guilty, under numerous regimes, of lacking the ambition or vision to press on. Northampton Town has not owned a training ground since the late 1970s, the current stadium remains a work in progress and the instantly likeable Kelvin Thomas has a number of hurdles to jump over in order to take the club further forward. There is no better time to do this than when you already have momentum. ‘Consolidation’ often means stagnation and it is vital that our club continues to be (realistically) ambitious. While we celebrate a historic season, we need to ensure that the adventure begins here. That is something in which we can all play a role: chairman, manager, staff and us, the supporters. Shoe Army!
Wouldn't be the same if we weren't up and down like an out of control yoyo would it?
Strap yourselves down and enjoy the ride ( hows that for an opening line to my piece?)
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2016, 19:52:51 pm »

It would certainly grab the reader's attention!
Report Spam   Logged

After years of boredom, despair, resignation and misery, this is unbound joy.
Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2016, 21:54:24 pm »

‘Forget Leicester – Northampton Town are English football’s story of the season.’
(The Sun)

On Saturday November 21st 2015 Northampton Town Football Club won away at Notts County to cement their place in the top three of League 2. The 999 travelling fans should have been excited. However, most supporters were simply hoping that the club would survive a winding-up hearing the following week. The Cobblers, it seemed, were heading towards administration, a 15 point deduction, and possibly even oblivion: unpaid tax bills, a demand for repayment of a £10 million loan on an incomplete stand, fraud investigators seizing club computers. The future looked bleak… Fast forward five months and – with new owners in place – NTFC were champions before any other Football League club had even sealed promotion. A host of records had been shattered on the field, and off it – despite our narcissistic era of the selfie – a rare, heart-warming tale of solidarity had emerged.

The amazing story of an incredible season is explored in The Year of the Cobbler by a wide range of journalists and fans.

PLEASE GET YOUR THOUGHT-PROVOKING ARTICLES IN ON FOOTBALL, THE COBBLERS AND THIS SEASON BY THE END OF MAY.

regards,
Rodney Marshall
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2016, 22:34:41 pm »

I can do an article if you wish?,
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2016, 15:06:58 pm »

I can do an article if you wish?,

That would be great. I thought some of you might like to look at the following timeline which I have 'cobbled' together which will appear near the front of the book. It is mad but true and makes better reading as you head down the page!

NORTHAMPTON TOWN FC TIMELINE 2015-2016

May 2015 Buckingham Group suspend work again on new East Stand due to ‘non-payment’
24/06/2015 Chairman David Cardoza announces takeover talks with Indian consortium
06/08/2015 Teenage striker Ivan Toney sold to Newcastle for ‘undisclosed fee’
25/09/2015 Borough Council gives NTFC three weeks to pay back £10.25 million loan
12/10/2015 London-based Indian takeover collapses
15/10/2015 HMRC launches winding-up petition over unpaid tax bill
21/10/2015 Buckingham Group release statement concluding ‘gross mismanagement and/or misappropriation of a very significant public loan’
01/11/2015 Cobblers Supporters Trust pioneer Brian Lomax passes away
06/11/2015 Guardian newspaper investigation: ‘Scandal of Missing Millions’
16/11/2015 London High Court winding-up petition hearing adjourned for two weeks
21/11/2015 Chris Wilder makes rousing takeover speech at Meadow Lane
23/11/2015 Police serve warrant and remove files and computers from Sixfields
26/11/2015 Kelvin Thomas completes takeover
27/11/2015 Insolvency hearing adjourned
10/12/2015 Insolvency proceedings withdrawn by Borough Council
11/12/2015 Wilder named November Sky Bet League 2 Manager of the Month
12/12/2016 Cobblers top after 4-3 win at Luton
19/01/2016 7,040 Cobblers fans travel away to Milton Keynes in the FA Cup
09/02/2016 Wilder named January Sky Bet League 2 Manager of the Month
16/02/2016 University of Northampton extend shirt sponsorship/partnership
25/02/2016 Work restarts on East Stand
11/03/2016 Wilder named February Sky Bet League 2 Manager of the Month
02/04/2016 Lower tier of East Stand opens with 1,924 new seats
09/04/2016 Record Sixfields crowd sees promotion confirmed against Bristol Rovers
16/04/2016 League 2 title sealed at Exeter
17/04/2016 Wilder named Manager of the Year at the Football League Awards
21/04/2016 Adam Smith, John-Joe O’Toole and Ricky Holmes named in PFA divisional side
22/04/2016 Nike announced as new official kit partners
30/04/2016 New record Sixfields crowd (7664) sees NTFC receive League 2 trophy
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 15:11:01 pm by Rodney » Report Spam   Logged

Phigar

View Profile
Windows User
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2016, 16:36:19 pm »

Some other notable dates/events.

#WeWantAnswers protest at Oxford game 21.09.15?
Bucket collection with Coventry.
Bucket collection at Home game with Mansfield.
Meeting at Guildhall when it was leaked that staff not paid October 15?
Crowdfunding campaign
Bayo's shirt auction
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2016, 16:41:54 pm »

I'd also add the council filing their administration petition to stave off the winding up order. They're generally a useless bunch but credit where it's due, they saved our bacon with that move!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2016, 18:26:49 pm »

False starts aplenty for me. There's a book in all of us they say trouble is mine's struggling to come out!
Report Spam   Logged

Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2016, 07:01:20 am »

Post-takeover, the date on which the HMRC tax debt (£166k) was paid off and the petition withdrawn ?
Report Spam   Logged
Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2016, 09:41:01 am »

In terms of stats, have I missed any new club League records out here?

•   Unbeaten run (24)
•   Consecutive wins (10)
•   Consecutive away wins (Cool
•   Away victories (14)
•   Unbeaten away run (16)
•   Fewest away defeats (2)
•   Fewest defeats (5)
•   League points (99)
•   Manager of the Month awards (3)
•   Players selected for the PFA divisional side (3)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:43:12 am by Rodney » Report Spam   Logged

cobblerron

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2016, 09:47:03 am »

In terms of stats, have I missed any new club League records out here?

•   Unbeaten run (24)
•   Consecutive wins (10)
•   Consecutive away wins (Cool
•   Away victories (14)
•   Unbeaten away run (16)
•   Fewest away defeats (2)
•   Fewest defeats (5)
•   League points (99)
•   Manager of the Month awards (3)
•   Players selected for the PFA divisional side (3)

The only team to finish first by a huge margin yet be the second best in the league
Report Spam   Logged
Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2016, 20:52:56 pm »

For what I presume will be obvious reasons, the deadline for articles will now be put back until the beginning of June. This should give contributors time to digest any managerial changes and to react to the twist at the end of our fairy tale season.
Report Spam   Logged

Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2016, 19:50:43 pm »

Now that the manager situation has been resolved, please submit any articles on your passion for football/the Cobblers and your memories or highlights of a fantastic, surreal season for our club.
Report Spam   Logged

Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2016, 21:22:00 pm »

Many thanks to those who have sent/promised pieces. The book is coming along nicely. If anyone can top Norman Maycock's sublime 'Championies! Ole, Ole, Ole' piece I'll buy their next season ticket personally!
Report Spam   Logged

Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2016, 11:21:20 am »

With ten days to go, just to update any potential contributors and/or readers:

We have articles in from the likes of Joe Townsend, Jefferson Lake, Tom Rostance and Norman Maycock (Abraham Anstruther, for those with long memories). Tom Reed and James Heneghan are submitting in the next day or so. Still hoping to meet the deadline: Jeremy Casey and Alan Swann (from the dark side). There are also articles from a smattering of 'ordinary' fans. Each writer has taken a different approach or angle. Jefferson has definitely submitted the best opening line:

'Three days after Christmas 2014, two men stood in the frozen Birkenhead darkness with hate in their pockets.'
Report Spam   Logged

Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2016, 23:34:04 pm »

Cobblers legend Peter Gleasure has completed his Foreword to the book and finished it with high praise for the current squad and the fans:

We reached 99 points in the 1986-87 season, and so did the current side, but I actually think that this team’s achievement was greater. To win the title with everything that was going on away from the pitch – and the club so close to going under – was fantastic. The fans have to take a lot of the credit as well: never giving up hope, they are an absolute tribute to the club and can hold their heads up high. And that is what a club is all about: the fans.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 23:35:41 pm by Rodney » Report Spam   Logged

defender

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2016, 07:54:44 am »

‘Forget Leicester – Northampton Town are English football’s story of the season.’
(The Sun)

On Saturday November 21st 2015 Northampton Town Football Club won away at Notts County to cement their place in the top three of League 2. The 999 travelling fans should have been excited. However, most supporters were simply hoping that the club would survive a winding-up hearing the following week. The Cobblers, it seemed, were heading towards administration, a 15 point deduction, and possibly even oblivion: unpaid tax bills, a demand for repayment of a £10 million loan on an incomplete stand, fraud investigators seizing club computers. The future looked bleak… Fast forward five months and – with new owners in place – NTFC were champions before any other Football League club had even sealed promotion. A host of records had been shattered on the field, and off it – despite our narcissistic era of the selfie – a rare, heart-warming tale of solidarity had emerged.

The amazing story of an incredible season is explored in The Year of the Cobbler by a wide range of journalists and fans.

PLEASE GET YOUR THOUGHT-PROVOKING ARTICLES IN ON FOOTBALL, THE COBBLERS AND THIS SEASON BY THE END OF MAY.

regards,
Rodney Marshall

I have been telling all of my friends that the cobblers were the team of the season, I said ''All that Leicester did was won the premiere, Northampton did the same in there division'', but went through many other problems as well'', as for ending the argument I said '' How many of Leicester's player's would have played and trained without getting paid for many weeks'' that ended the conversations!
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2016, 09:17:05 am »

I have been telling all of my friends that the cobblers were the team of the season, I said ''All that Leicester did was won the premiere, Northampton did the same in there division'', but went through many other problems as well'', as for ending the argument I said '' How many of Leicester's player's would have played and trained without getting paid for many weeks'' that ended the conversations!

See my thread in the other sports sevtion.
Even more prevailent now that Vardy is chasing the ££s at Arsenal!
Report Spam   Logged

SeanODonovan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2016, 21:29:57 pm »

Hi Rodney - sorry as I know your deadlines have passed but if I got a piece to you on Friday 10th June could it still be considered for inclusion. And thanks for having the great idea of compiling a book. Sean
Report Spam   Logged
Rodney

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2016, 23:10:56 pm »

I'm doing a final edit on Saturday and Sunday, so Friday would be OK...just!
Current line-up is:
Peter Gleasure
Rodney Marshall
Jefferson Lake
Tom Rostance
Joe Townsend
Norman Maycock
Jeremy Casey
Martyn Ingram
James Heneghan
Tom Reed
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:14:06 am by Rodney » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: