The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:42:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Leicester Champions but not a fairytale!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leicester Champions but not a fairytale!  (Read 1875 times)
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: May 02, 2016, 21:31:16 pm »

From my unique position of living in Leicester but supporting The Cobblers, I have to say well done to my current home city club on their achievement on winning the Premier League title.
However I would like to point out this is not a poor club and hardly the rags to riches story the media are making out. They are in fact owned by Thai billionaires with almost no association with Leicester.
While congratulating The Foxes on their title, us Cobblers fans know where the real fairytale has happened this season don't we?
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 22:01:46 pm »

Yes
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2539

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:30:03 am »

To all concerned with LCFC well done and enjoy.

Like the Cobblers you must enjoy the now. My cousin was a season ticket holder for 40 years at Leicester travelling in from Hunstanton (and taking in 2 or 3 Cobblers games). When they survived a year ago he enjoyed the moment, but got diagnosed with a brain tumour the same month. He was told he could survive until Christmas but did not live until the start of this season. Therefore after all the up and downs he has missed their biggest moment ever.

Therefore my advice is enjoy the now!............................SO PARTY!!!

See you at Pompey and the market square!
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 11:47:59 am »

To all concerned with LCFC well done and enjoy.

Like the Cobblers you must enjoy the now. My cousin was a season ticket holder for 40 years at Leicester travelling in from Hunstanton (and taking in 2 or 3 Cobblers games). When they survived a year ago he enjoyed the moment, but got diagnosed with a brain tumour the same month. He was told he could survive until Christmas but did not live until the start of this season. Therefore after all the up and downs he has missed their biggest moment ever.

Therefore my advice is enjoy the now!............................SO PARTY!!!

See you at Pompey and the market square!
Never a truer word spoken.
Too many fellow Cobblers have sadly missed out on this amazing season.
Report Spam   Logged

NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 12:59:40 pm »

'Rags to riches' is comparative. Obviously any club in a position to spend £8m - £10m on a player is not short of a few bob, but in the context that Man Utd have spent more in the past two seasons on players than Leicester have in their entire history, I don't think you can argue they've 'bought' success. Tony Fernandes has put more money into QPR in the last few years and what have they got to show for it? They've had a little bit of investment at Leicester but don't let that obscure the scale of this achievement.

I also live in Leicester and I went down to the King Power at 10pm last night. Couldn't help myself. Was still there at 2am. Never seen anything quite like that before. Got a sore head today Grin Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Matthew Rush

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 13:22:18 pm »

I would hope these images help put it into some perspective.

Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 17:59:50 pm »

'Rags to riches' is comparative. Obviously any club in a position to spend £8m - £10m on a player is not short of a few bob, but in the context that Man Utd have spent more in the past two seasons on players than Leicester have in their entire history, I don't think you can argue they've 'bought' success. Tony Fernandes has put more money into QPR in the last few years and what have they got to show for it? They've had a little bit of investment at Leicester but don't let that obscure the scale of this achievement.

I also live in Leicester and I went down to the King Power at 10pm last night. Couldn't help myself. Was still there at 2am. Never seen anything quite like that before. Got a sore head today Grin Grin

I have to say I'm glad that Leicester won it rather than any other contender. But had absolutely no inclination to ihead to the King Power to play a part in someone else's party.
Report Spam   Logged

GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 18:30:14 pm »

Similarly wages are all relative.....Rooney on £300k a week, Aguero £260k, Toure £240k, Hazard £220k, Ozil £190k..............Vardy £40k a week.......

Now £40,000 a week is still an obscene amount of money to be paid to kick a bag of wind around for 90 minutes a week......but the whole Leicester squad were assembled for a fraction of the cost of the squads of Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea etc etc......the wage bill of the entire Leicester squad is a fraction of the others, the commercial income must also be a fraction.........thats what makes this the story that it is.

A club in administration only 14 years ago, a club who just survived relegation last season, a club who sacked the manager who led them to the great escape last season and took on a manager who had just had a torrid time as the manager of Greece losing his final game in charge to the Faroe Islands of all teams!

A club who stood tall against the big boys, whom everyone expected to blow up at some point in the season......they didn't, and they are the Champions of England.

That is a fairytale in my book!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 20:45:14 pm »

I have to say I'm glad that Leicester won it rather than any other contender. But had absolutely no inclination to ihead to the King Power to play a part in someone else's party.

In 4,999 other universes, Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea won the league this season. But in this one, a team with the third lowest wage bill in the league, with an all-time high finish of 8th, have pulled it out of the bag and stuck a massive middle finger up to the established order. That's something worth celebrating no matter who you support, and when it's your adoptive city's team that have done it, I can't understand why you'd choose to shut your curtains on a moment of history happening outside your window. But each to their own.
Report Spam   Logged

pattcobb
Guess who's back?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 22:04:49 pm »

In 4,999 other universes, Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea won the league this season. But in this one, a team with the third lowest wage bill in the league, with an all-time high finish of 8th, have pulled it out of the bag and stuck a massive middle finger up to the established order. That's something worth celebrating no matter who you support, and when it's your adoptive city's team that have done it, I can't understand why you'd choose to shut your curtains on a moment of history happening outside your window. But each to their own.
Because it is their party not mine. I've had the reward for my blood sweat and tears this season and some. I honestly think that Cobblers' achievements better that of Leicester for the season. Its been said loads on here that there was a stage in the autumn when I seriously thought NTFC WERE DEAD AND BURIED. We have not only survived but have won the division by an absolute mile with thrilling attacking football. We have not crept there with a string of 1-0s.
A friend at work sumned up this tears premier league season with his statement that Leicester were the least worst team out of twenty poor ones.
It is a remarkable season but it is not the fairytale the doe eyed media are making out.
Report Spam   Logged

Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 22:26:27 pm »

A friend at work sumned up this tears premier league season with his statement that Leicester were the least worst team out of twenty poor ones.
It is a remarkable season but it is not the fairytale the doe eyed media are making out.

a 5000/1 outsider with a team made up of misfits is definitely the fairytale story everyone is banging on about.

Two generations of Schmeichel have premier league medals. They won the title whilst at an actual Vardy party.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
NTFC Nut

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 23:25:06 pm »

Because it is their party not mine. I've had the reward for my blood sweat and tears this season and some. I honestly think that Cobblers' achievements better that of Leicester for the season. Its been said loads on here that there was a stage in the autumn when I seriously thought NTFC WERE DEAD AND BURIED. We have not only survived but have won the division by an absolute mile with thrilling attacking football. We have not crept there with a string of 1-0s.

Well obviously we're not going to agree here but my take on it is there's nothing wrong with celebrating us winning our league and Leicester winning theirs, I don't see why it has to be either/or. I wasn't saying that our story was less remarkable than theirs or less worthy of celebrating - in many way it's comparing apples and pears. What makes our story remarkable is that we nearly lost our club, and the players and staff showed incredible resilience to come through the other side whilst still winning week in, week out. What makes their story remarkable is that there is no way they should even be in the top half on paper, and they've won the league through sheer bloody-mindedness. They've only lost three games all season and that is some feat, regardless of the top sides stumbling. At the end of the day, both clubs have had a once-in-a-lifetime season, and if you've got connections to both places, it's been a hell of a weekend to be a football fan. Grin
Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 10:06:51 am »

Being originally from Leicester (all my family apart from my parents still live there), I followed them until I was 15 when I jumped on the Carr bandwagon. As a kid I used to train it from Wboro to Leicester and take my place in the Double Decker stand at Filbert Street.

One amazing memory I have was in 1996 when Claridge shinned in a 120th winner in the play off final against Crystal Palace. I was behind the goal celebrating. Whilst at the same time desperately wishing it was a Cobblers player who had done that. 12 months later...we all know what happened.

When we have played Leicester during the last 30 odd years (3 times in total in competitive games), strangely I've wanted us to win those matches even more so than against any other team. Yet they have always remained my second team throughout that time. If it had been anybody other than bloody Constantine who had gone 1 on 1 in the last minute at the then Walkers...

I've been saying to my wife in the last few months that the Footballing Fruit Machine just hasn't stopped paying out this season. After 30 years of pretty much taking me for a total mug. If only Id stuck a tenner on the double, I would have won a million quid!
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 17:54:12 pm »

Incredible scenes here a mile from Victoria Park Live! You cannot get down my street (off London Road for those that know the city) for parked cars.  Listened to it on radio Leicester for a bit and was nearly cajouled into going along. But no it's not my party.I do with the above post, this is the season that eventually just gave and gave and may just get even better if LFC can bring home the Europa League Trophy on wednesday.
Good luck to all the LCFC fans but please keep the noise down its a Monday night ffs!
Report Spam   Logged

pattcobb
Guess who's back?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 21:08:21 pm »

Incredible scenes here a mile from Victoria Park Live! You cannot get down my street (off London Road for those that know the city) for parked cars.  Listened to it on radio Leicester for a bit and was nearly cajouled into going along. But no it's not my party.I do with the above post, this is the season that eventually just gave and gave and may just get even better if LFC can bring home the Europa League Trophy on wednesday.
Good luck to all the LCFC fans but please keep the noise down its a Monday night ffs!

Well we heard speeches, we heard Kasabian and we heard (not saw it was still light) fireworks.
In a parallel situation to NTFC I expect Ranieri to be linked heavily with Everton tomorrow before joining Italy as coach by the end of the week, his "dream job."
His stock indeed could not be higher
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 19:12:39 pm by pattcobb » Report Spam   Logged

guest47

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 17:46:38 pm »

Now £40,000 a week is still an obscene amount of money to be paid to kick a bag of wind around for 90 minutes a week......but the whole

It's easy but you've just got to be better at kicking that bag than practically anyone else on this planet - that's not so easy.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 08:01:03 am »

I still think that When Alf Ramsey got Ipswich to D1, (NO Prem THEN) and then won the First div.1 in there first season, was even better than Leicester's heroic's. We all know of course what Ramsey did next!!
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 13:29:32 pm »

Bowens COBBLERS on getting to Division one was more than a fairy tale, than LEICESTER'S heroics
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: