The Hotel End
March 19, 2024, 06:20:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Post Parade Family Meal Ruined by Bizarre Company Policy

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post Parade Family Meal Ruined by Bizarre Company Policy  (Read 2135 times)
Bigbadcob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: May 08, 2016, 19:25:24 pm »

We have just returned from a great day at the cobblers parade with two families together, consisting of four adults and 3 children. (aged 10,10, 7)

The parade and celebrations were excellent, and we all stayed outside the guildhall until after the reception, when the players came back out and got back on the bus to depart back to Sixfields

We then decided to go for a joint family meal at the Cordwainer in the Ridings, and ordered food and drinks - value approx £80.00

It was only after the meal, when we went back to the bar and requested an additional drink that we came across a problem.

Apparently Wetherspoons policy is that families are only allowed one drink per customer when accompanied by children!

This was not made aware to us at time of originally ordering our meal and drinks, and there was no signs or notices to advise of this policy.

Having been to Wetherspoons with our kids across the country following the cobblers this great season we have never come across such a policy ... however Gary the manager was insistent in implementing company policy and refused to serve us ... whilst acknowledging we were not drunk and our children were well behaved.

This seems the most bizare anti family policy - but thought we should make any cobblers fans aware of this policy when heading to matches next season with their families!

It spoilt the end to our day ... this is not a cobblers family friendly pub!

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 19:39:47 pm »

Huh? Don't know what to say. It's certainly not a policy implementation we've ever encountered in there. Very strange. Their loss, as I'm guessing none of your group will be returning.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 19:43:19 pm »

I seem to remember reading about this policy in Wetherspoons in the past. Personally, I make it my policy never to go into a Wetherspoons unless there are no other options.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 19:48:32 pm »

We have just returned from a great day at the cobblers parade with two families together, consisting of four adults and 3 children. (aged 10,10, 7)

The parade and celebrations were excellent, and we all stayed outside the guildhall until after the reception, when the players came back out and got back on the bus to depart back to Sixfields

We then decided to go for a joint family meal at the Cordwainer in the Ridings, and ordered food and drinks - value approx £80.00

It was only after the meal, when we went back to the bar and requested an additional drink that we came across a problem.

Apparently Wetherspoons policy is that families are only allowed one drink per customer when accompanied by children!

This was not made aware to us at time of originally ordering our meal and drinks, and there was no signs or notices to advise of this policy.

Having been to Wetherspoons with our kids across the country following the cobblers this great season we have never come across such a policy ... however Gary the manager was insistent in implementing company policy and refused to serve us ... whilst acknowledging we were not drunk and our children were well behaved.

This seems the most bizare anti family policy - but thought we should make any cobblers fans aware of this policy when heading to matches next season with their families!

£80 in a Spoons what were you having?
Seriously sounds a bit of a jobsworth, as you say the kids were well behaved.
Definitely write to them and if you are on twitter mention it @jdtweet I think.
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 20:30:38 pm »

£80 in a Spoons what were you having?

My guess, based on the fact there were seven of them and my knowledge of Wetherspoons prices is caviar, oysters, venison washed down with champagne.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 20:37:21 pm »

My guess, based on the fact there were seven of them and my knowledge of Wetherspoons prices is caviar, oysters, venison washed down with champagne.

I love these kind of "hard done by posts" nearly always by some body new to the Forum! Personally I think it was a "Mum" - mind you kids these days have very expensive tastes and gone for the caviar, oysters, venison washed down with champagne!

Good one Bingers - keep it up!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 20:55:57 pm »

I love these kind of "hard done by posts" nearly always by some body new to the Forum! Personally I think it was a "Mum" - mind you kids these days have very expensive tastes and gone for the caviar, oysters, venison washed down with champagne!

Good one Bingers - keep it up!
Well I'm not new to this forum, and I've just paid well north of £100 to stay in Holiday Inn in Portsmouth to find neither bacon nor fried eggs are ever served with their breakfasts.
It's almost treasonable!
Report Spam   Logged
The CrowMan
Maker of scarecrows.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 21:03:46 pm »

What has this got to do with The Cobblers?
Report Spam   Logged
The Hask
Martin Hasker

www.TeynAwayDays.com - Away travel for Cobblers

View Profile WWW
Webmaster Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 21:54:43 pm »

Dont think its policy at all, i have been in many wetherspoons with family and always had multiple drinks, sure you didnt ask for a free refill?
Report Spam   Logged

www.teynawaydays.com Hotel End GTA Champion 2010/11 - Wearing the claret with pride.    X (Twitter) @martinhasker
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 21:56:53 pm »

Well I'm not new to this forum, and I've just paid well north of £100 to stay in Holiday Inn in Portsmouth to find neither bacon nor fried eggs are ever served with their breakfasts.
It's almost treasonable!

I am amazed at the choice of HI - did you not consider Travel Lodge no breakie (only breakfast food pks) but room is ok.
You must be well healed! Still if with Mrs maybe you had to just please!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 05:27:25 am »

It's almost treasonable!
If you stayed in  Holiday Inn Express then you had a free breakfast. So glad you've actually found something to moan about though.
My hat is firmly on the side of my head and will be for a few days yet.
Report Spam   Logged

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 05:38:45 am »

If you Google "Wetherspoon one drink for parents" it brings up loads of news stories from 2008 and 2012 talking about them bringing in this policy.

However, it also brings up their official website which says this:

"Do you welcome children? 
Families are welcome to dine in the majority of our pubs; however, the dining times for under-18s may vary. During these times, 16- and 17-year-olds are welcome to visit without adult supervision, for food and soft drinks only. Some of our pubs may request that all members of the party order a main meal, if alcohol is ordered with an under-18 present. Please note that alcohol-serving is at the manager’s discretion; there may be occasions when service is limited or refused to a whole group. We do not permit the purchase or consumption of alcohol by under 18’s on our premises."

So my guess is they've reversed the policy and the manager is either a) unaware of his own company's policy or b) being a dick.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Bigbadcob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 07:24:52 am »

Thank you "Back of the Net" for your research - some very useful information to pass on.

I think both of your conclusions where correct with regards to the manager!
Report Spam   Logged
HallamCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 08:24:29 am »

I can imagine how the adults not being able to drink more alcohol ruined the children's day.
Report Spam   Logged
wazzacobbler

Warrington Cobblers Supporters

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 21:28:57 pm »

As some of you may be aware I am a manager for Spoons and would just like the opportunity to provide some info on this subject.

We used to have a rule that any group including under 18's would only be allowed to purchase 2 drinks each. This was in order to comply with the licensing act which includes a section on keeping children safe from harm. This rule was never written down and was always to be implemented at the manager's discretion. Many pubs in the company chose to apply this rule to all parties that included children in order to provide equality to all of the customers. We were not required by law or policy to display this rule just as we do not have to display signs saying that we "don't serve drunk". As employees of the company we only had to explain this rule as and when required.

Approximately 2 years (maybe longer) ago this rule was relaxed by the company and we were requested to apply the same thought to this situation as we would in the case of having a party of only adults coming in and possibly consuming more alcohol than they should. So therefore I apply this when working by my own standards when I am with my family.

I cannot speak for the pub in Northampton and never would but I wonder if the manager took the decision to implement this rule on the day of the parade due to the large volume of people likely to enter the premises. I am 100% sure that this decision was not made in order to ruin your day but to comply with the licensing act of 2003 in the best way possible. Nothing personal will have been meant by the manager at the time and he/she will have only been doing their job.

If this complaint was being made about my pub then I would be very happy to have a one to one chat with you in order to regain your confidence and custom. My suggestion would be to give the pub a call on a Monday morning and ask to speak with the pub manager. I'm sure he/she will be happy to have a chat with you over a cup of coffee.

*As a note I would like to add that I have not copied and pasted any of the pub from any official document and is only my view and opinion as a employee. I'm not speaking for either the specific pub or the company
Report Spam   Logged

Host and Producer of the It's All Cobblers To Me podcast
@CobblersToMe @charlescommins
southofthecounty

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 19:44:35 pm »

I am amazed at the choice of HI - did you not consider Travel Lodge no breakie (only breakfast food pks) but room is ok.
You must be well healed! Still if with Mrs maybe you had to just please!
Nail head. Gunwharf f***ING quays.
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 19:46:18 pm »

If you stayed in  Holiday Inn Express then you had a free breakfast. So glad you've actually found something to moan about though.
My hat is firmly on the side of my head and will be for a few days yet.
You know that old saying that there's no such thing as a free lunch? Well it applies to breakfasts too.
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 18:28:58 pm »

You know that old saying that there's no such thing as a free lunch? Well it applies to breakfasts too.
Yes, for "free" read included in price, but no option to have without breakfast.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: