The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:55:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Blade here

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blade here  (Read 6761 times)
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 19:15:24 pm »

Smith, Holmes and JJ gone would mean doom...
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 19:44:02 pm »

Depends how they are replaced .....
Report Spam   Logged
Gazman

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 19:49:17 pm »

The players that have left so far have pretty much divided opinion on the impact it will have on the team.
If we were to lose Smith and Holmes then I already feel for RP, he had big shoes to fill in the first place but had a good chance with a solid group of United players he inherited, having his best players taken from him makes a difficult job even harder. If transfer fees go straight back into the playing budget then all well and good and there are enough experienced keepers out there who could be good enough for this division, replacing outfield match winners is a different story and far more difficult, should we take a gamble on a youthful lower/non league prospect or bring in a 'big name' player who would command bigger wages which could potentially have a negative affect on the dressing room.
Throw losing JJ into it as well and we are then looking at replacing nearly a third of our starting 11 which will take time gel

I was a huge fan of CW during his time here and do not begrudge his move to his hometown club but if he does come back and take - or unrest our players then I begin to question the 'love' he showed our club whilst here. Business is business I know but........
Oh I don't know maybe I'm just living in the past and still believe in players and managers loving the club as much as we do. Who was our last? Sammo?
Report Spam   Logged
Gazman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 19:52:35 pm »

The players that have left so far have pretty much divided opinion on the impact it will have on the team.
If we were to lose Smith and Holmes then I already feel for RP, he had big shoes to fill in the first place but had a good chance with a solid group of United players he inherited, having his best players taken from him makes a difficult job even harder. If transfer fees go straight back into the playing budget then all well and good and there are enough experienced keepers out there who could be good enough for this division, replacing outfield match winners is a different story and far more difficult, should we take a **** on a youthful lower/non league prospect or bring in a 'big name' player who would command bigger wages which could potentially have a negative affect on the dressing room.
Throw losing JJ into it as well and we are then looking at replacing nearly a third of our starting 11 which will take time gel

I was a huge fan of CW during his time here and do not begrudge his move to his hometown club but if he does come back and take - or unrest our players then I begin to question the 'love' he showed our club whilst here. Business is business I know but........
Oh I don't know maybe I'm just living in the past and still believe in players and managers loving the club as much as we do. Who was our last? Sammo?

The **** was p u n t, not quite sure why it was taken as an expletive as I've seen loads of p u n ts at Sixfields in my time
Report Spam   Logged
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 20:07:58 pm »

As a player for the second half of last season he was fantastic.
He can be a little injury prone thus he only played half the season.
He's nearly 30 and never played above L2 level and is still under contract so will you value him as high as us?
It will be interesting to see how much Mr Wilder will want him. He always spoke highly of him but was known to drop him from time to time.
I'm sure if he leaves he will say like everyone else how much he's loved his time here and is not moving for cash but to be closer to his home in ........... Essex
We'll wait and see what happens.
Great post, Kingy!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 20:16:03 pm »

I have no issues with any of the squad moving on. Of course I would like to see the side remain mostly intact just out of curiosity, but I'm realistic about that not happening.

None of us will know what could've been, and we should concentrate on the actual future, rather than one that can only ever be acted out in our imagination. I'm sure Page is aware of the act he needs to follow. But equally aware that his challenge is nothing to do with last season. We have some great matches to look forward to. I would rather do that, than give air time to managers and and players, who's plans we do not remotely feature in. None of them were born in this town, or have any affiliation further than they got paid a few quid to work here for a short while. It's only us that see it for much more than that.
Report Spam   Logged
Gazman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 20:50:08 pm »

I have no issues with any of the squad moving on. Of course I would like to see the side remain mostly intact just out of curiosity, but I'm realistic about that not happening.

None of us will know what could've been, and we should concentrate on the actual future, rather than one that can only ever be acted out in our imagination. I'm sure Page is aware of the act he needs to follow. But equally aware that his challenge is nothing to do with last season. We have some great matches to look forward to. I would rather do that, than give air time to managers and and players, who's plans we do not remotely feature in. None of them were born in this town, or have any affiliation further than they got paid a few quid to work here for a short while. It's only us that see it for much more than that.

Good point and one worth taking on board - it's easy to see next season as a continuation from last - that's what we all wanted but that can't happen with the manager already gone.
New manager, new objectives, new plan and inevitably new team
As someone said previously on a separate topic - we are paying the price of our success last season, had we finished 3rd or gone up through the play offs we may have been left alone.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 20:57:21 pm »

Past tense? Whilst he might go he hasn't yet. That is unless I've missed the deal complete.

I too failed to understand Shoemakers remarks - always on the negative side.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 21:22:44 pm »

I've already got a bad taste in my mouth from the way he courted Charlton before Sheffield United.

I suspect many supporters are having doubts on CW especially after the bus parade - to me it was like a bomb shell and I know some supporters were distraught at the news of CW's going! All these cynical comments about "what did you expect" and he is doing "whats best for him" etc doesn't wash much with me! Players no doubt played along by their agents sometimes move to a bigger and er "better" club don't always get on. Bunn cannot enjoy being a bench warmer and Jacobs has hardly fulfilled his early promise. In fact many of our better players and managers when moving on hardly set the world alight. I happen to find the comments from Gazman and Pattishall more realistic than the opinions of those who claim to be realistic about the situation. Holmes might be better off here at the age of 29 and getting an improved deal. As for JJOT the club and most supporters (by and large) gave him the benefit of the doubt which in turn resurrected his career. He too given his earlier career moves might well be better off here. Same applies to Smith. We need to remain positive about the players still here as IMO this team if kept together will do very well in the coming season. If so the Championship beckons! Then what!!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 21:28:27 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 21:43:12 pm »

What makes me laugh is some of you on here already saying Holmes was only fit for half a season and not played above league two... He was the best player in L2 by a mile and moreover will be a very good player in L1.
A true match winner and if he goes will be a massive loss.

Time for RP to pull his finger out and sign a marquee striker that will reasure the rest of the team that we are serious.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2016, 22:29:19 pm »

Check out the video in this thread....
http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/ricky-holmes-arrival-imminent.47215/
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
cobbler150

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2016, 23:46:02 pm »

If he goes, we wont find another player like him easy. I feel very sorry for Page if this is the case and surely it will be a matter of time before O'toole and Smith follow him out the door.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 07:19:56 am »

You really can't get too emotional about player "loyalty" especially with lower league players. It is a relatively short career and if you're kicking around the lower leagues earning "only" £30k to £100k then you need to make hay whilst the sun shines and if that means moving on then you can't blame them. I work on a contract basis and if someone offers me £50 a day more, possibly closer to home and in a role that enhances my CV then I take notice.

I do agree there is greed in the game but mainly at the top end, where players are earning £250k a week and still wanting more. No-one needs that amount of money. That said, there are exceptional circumstances there too, eg. Vardy. Remember four years ago he was a Conference player and he probably only has 3 or 4 years left at the top now, so I wouldn't begrudge him improving himself at Arsenal for example.

I wonder how much Zlatan is demanding?
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 08:20:07 am »

You really can't get too emotional about player "loyalty" especially with lower league players. It is a relatively short career and if you're kicking around the lower leagues earning "only" £30k to £100k then you need to make hay whilst the sun shines and if that means moving on then you can't blame them. I work on a contract basis and if someone offers me £50 a day more, possibly closer to home and in a role that enhances my CV then I take notice.

I do agree there is greed in the game but mainly at the top end, where players are earning £250k a week and still wanting more. No-one needs that amount of money. That said, there are exceptional circumstances there too, eg. Vardy. Remember four years ago he was a Conference player and he probably only has 3 or 4 years left at the top now, so I wouldn't begrudge him improving himself at Arsenal for example.

I wonder how much Zlatan is demanding?

Especially if you are 29, going on 30 and been offered a 4 year contract on that increased salary...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2487

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 08:24:00 am »

Ermm guys, the best player in L2 was Kemar Roofe.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 08:30:02 am »

What makes me laugh is some of you on here already saying Holmes was only fit for half a season and not played above league two... He was the best player in L2 by a mile and moreover will be a very good player in L1.
A true match winner and if he goes will be a massive loss.

Time for RP to pull his finger out and sign a marquee striker that will reasure the rest of the team that we are serious.
+1
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2016, 09:05:27 am »

Without doubt Holmes was fantastic for us second half of the season - work rate, assists, goals and flexibility - in fact everything about him suggests he should be playing at a higher level but at 29, well into the second half of his career he is not, so something is not quite right - maybe it is big fish in small pool syndrome as previously mentioned, or a unique type of manager needed (certainly CW gave him a special type of freedom on the pitch) - whilst I certainly will be sorry to see him go (genuinely one of the few exciting players to watch) I still have a feeling last season was his peak in a claret shirt and if he stayed just maybe we wouldn't see the same player.   
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2016, 09:21:45 am »

I don't think you can generalise about players peaking at 29.  Wes Morgan has just had a stand out season at Leicester at 32.  Arsenal have offered Vardy a 5 year deal at the age of 29.  I would be very disappointed to see Holmes go and reckon he has at least another few seasons ahead to excite those who pay to watch him.  I haven't enjoyed watching a player so much since probably Richard Hill and Eddie McGoldrick.   
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 09:27:22 am »

Slightly off topic but did anyone genuinely know the reason for the tantrum after the final whistle at Pompey?
Report Spam   Logged
cobblerron

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 09:29:58 am »

Slightly off topic but did anyone genuinely know the reason for the tantrum after the final whistle at Pompey?

Caught an elbow or blow of some sort off one of the Pompey players
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: