The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 00:31:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wolves

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wolves  (Read 6347 times)
tuks

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2016, 22:21:04 pm »

Excuse my ignorance........ Is Hoskins injured??
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2016, 22:22:36 pm »

We've just beaten wolves youth team.
They don't play in the championship.

We started with 5 or 6 first X1 - they had two first teamers plus 3 players expected to challenge including Ennis and Coady! Ronan was good too. They were very fit , lively and defensively good. Excellent work out for the Cobbs. IMO you missed a decent game and then proceed to throw toys out of the pram!

ps would try and get Coady on loan; might be decent partner for JJOT in midfield
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 22:28:03 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2016, 23:09:20 pm »

It was a youth team.
None of those playing tonight will start wolves first league game.
You can polish turds all you like.

Fwiw from pre season
Aaron Philips is no full back,if he starts against fleet wood we will lose.
I hope for his sake and the clubs he can play elsewhere otherwise it is a waste of a place(old pals act accepted)
We lack any creativity and also lack pace.
A decent striker to complement the two target men we now have is a must.
Without the addition of two decent widemen(the trialists are not good enough) a decent proven striker who isn't a targetman and a player to do Philips job(chicksen is the answer),we will be straight back down.
Overly negative to some I'm sure but give it time and I'm sure il be proven right.

Basically we have one more friendly against non league opposition and bar the 1-1 draw against qpr the pre season has been a waste of time.

Basically it's been a shambles we are going into the league season in a week or so needing 3/4 players to come into the side to make us a league one starting 11.
That in my eyes is a waste of a pre season and page can polish turds as much as he wants but frankly it's unacceptable.
The first eleven should have had 3/4 games together and as it stands we have no idea who the first 11 is and complacently announce that the right players will be signed as and when.

If we are bottom of league 1 after 3 games will Thomas and page come out and explain what's happened.
KT proclaims himself a football man....
Well I've seen enough to proclaim myself a football man and this squad is nowhere near good enough to compete at league one level as it stands tonight.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2016, 23:47:29 pm »

It was a youth team.

tonight.

Jesus - anybody Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2016, 23:53:25 pm »

It was a youth team.

Fwiw from pre season
I hope for his sake and the clubs he can play elsewhere otherwise it is a waste of a place(old pals act accepted)
Without the addition of two decent widemen(the trialists are not good enough) a decent proven striker who isn't a targetman and a player to do Philips job(chicksen is the answer),we will be straight back down.
Overly negative to some I'm sure but give it time and I'm sure il be proven right.

Basically we have one more friendly against non league opposition and bar the 1-1 draw against qpr the pre season has been a waste of time.

Basically it's been a shambles we are going into the league season in a week or so needing 3/4 players to come into the side to make us a league one starting 11.
That in my eyes is a waste of a pre season and page can polish turds as much as he wants but frankly it's unacceptable.
The first eleven should have had 3/4 games together and as it stands we have no idea who the first 11 is and complacently announce that the right players will be signed as and when.

If we are bottom of league 1 after 3 games will Thomas and page come out and explain what's happened.
Well I've seen enough to proclaim myself a football man and this squad is nowhere near good enough to compete at league one level as it stands tonight.

Do you get off on stating your opinion as being diametrically opposed to the majority and/or stating the obvious with a pessimistic tone?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
cobbler150

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2016, 05:53:08 am »

It was a youth team.

Fwiw from pre season

Wonder how Wolves fans feel about them playing a youth team then?

Whilst I agree with you on points of needing pace in the team, I think its a bit early to gauge how good the squad will be. I have my reservations I admit but Shrews fans are crowing about signing Gary Deegan, Vale fans are putting up with unoroven players from.aboard, Feetwood just been hammered in every game in Holland. coupled with fact even posh fans state we have made good signings, dont think all is lost?
Report Spam   Logged
andycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2016, 05:54:25 am »

Like v QPR i thought the run out was well worth while, for the most part the cobs were the better team (I know shoey most wolves were youth players). The only concern I have is the lack of chances and like most on here have stated we do need at least 1 decent wide man and maybe a midfield/striker link up player.
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2016, 05:58:30 am »

We looked good at times tonight, some slick passing but still sometimes lacking that final ball.

I think we should sign Chicksen and Sonupe.

Sonupe has enough about him going forward and will only get better. We need Chicksen because Phillips was absolutely awful again tonight.

Beautyman did well for a debut, looking forward to how he progresses. Agree with the theory we need some more pace, but it doesn't seem to be on it's way.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2016, 06:16:22 am »

Excuse my ignorance........ Is Hoskins injured??

I asked him last Wednesday "are you injured?".  "No"
"so why were you not in the squad last night?".  "I've tweaked a quad".

Make of that what you will.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2016, 06:38:05 am »

Jesus - anybody Huh?

I prefer this version:

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2016/07/26/joe-gallen-pleased-with-wolves-kids/
Report Spam   Logged
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2016, 06:55:37 am »

It was a youth team.

Fwiw from pre season

You do seem to like polishing turds!
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2016, 07:11:26 am »

so, in short, 4 weeks ago we needed 2 wingers and a striker, preferably with pace, RP and KT stated they would take their time getting them in, they haven't got them in yet, we still need them.

next.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2016, 07:31:46 am »

Shoemaker has gone OTT but there are still plenty of valid concerns mixed in there. I hope and strongly suspect that Page has identified suitable targets who have subsequently gone elsewhere rather than just sitting on his arse hoping that we stumble upon some gifted trialists. If that's the case then I'd rather hear that 'we've been in for player x but he went elsewhere' rather than radio silence.

What's missing for me is the sense that we have somebody in charge with a clear vision and system rather than someone who seems to be making it up as he goes along. Having said that, we seem to have been better since Page made the sensible decision to go with one up front. I also think the spine of the team will be OK as long as we keep Smith and Page gets the best out of otoole.

I think we'll stay up, but with some more proactive recruiting we could have been more ambitious than that.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2016, 07:42:29 am »

Agree bungle what I find strange is that Page doesn't seem to know his best team yet, aligned with the fact we have no pace in the side.
We need to replace Holmes and get a pacey striker in.
The result against Eastleigh will be very interesting a good conference side that will play their best team and really go for it.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2016, 07:55:56 am »

Agree bungle what I find strange is that Page doesn't seem to know his best team yet, aligned with the fact we have no pace in the side.
We need to replace Holmes and get a pacey striker in.
The result against Eastleigh will be very interesting a good conference side that will play their best team and really go for it.

Does anybody ever "really go for it" in friendlies?
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2016, 08:23:50 am »

Fwiw from pre season

It is statements like the above which make any good points you might make lose any credibility. I'm pretty sure Coventry did not automatically lose very game that Phillips played.

I've not seen the lad play, he may be awful for all I know but I don't think he has lost every game he has played!
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2016, 08:24:05 am »

I'm not a big fan of how the recruitment has gone this summer but we have to remember that about 75% of last years squad is still here - granted the 25% that has gone includes Holmes who was fundamental to how we played and we need to try to replace him or we are going to inevitably struggle going forward. As an aside, my uncle is a Coventry fan and he told me that Phillips is good going forward and tidy on the ball but he's not a great defender, he thought that he would probably make a decent midfielder.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2016, 08:35:35 am »

We started with 5 or 6 first X1 - they had two first teamers plus 3 players expected to challenge including Ennis and Coady! Ronan was good too. They were very fit , lively and defensively good. Excellent work out for the Cobbs. IMO you missed a decent game and then proceed to throw toys out of the pram!

ps would try and get Coady on loan; might be decent partner for JJOT in midfield

Apparently Newcastle and Sheffield Wednesday are interested in Coady so that one might be difficult to pull off.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2016, 08:48:31 am »

We looked good at times tonight, some slick passing but still sometimes lacking that final ball.

I think we should sign Chicksen and Sonupe.

Sonupe has enough about him going forward and will only get better. We need Chicksen because Phillips was absolutely awful again tonight.

Beautyman did well for a debut, looking forward to how he progresses. Agree with the theory we need some more pace, but it doesn't seem to be on it's way.

Chicksen, Sonupe and Beautyman - weren't they all in City of God?
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2016, 09:07:08 am »

Overall I didn't think we were that great yesterday. We played a young side who lacked the physicality we will come up against this year and still we didn't seem to impose ourselves and dominate physically. We had a lot of the ball but we moved it from side to side too slowly and when we did get into the final third the end product was often quite poor. It is evident that we need to offer more going forward and as has been mentioned already, some pace and quality in the wide areas and upfront must surely be top of Page's list.

On the positive side, I thought defensively we were solid enough, Zakuani will be key this year I feel. I would like to see him and McDonald start at CB. The trio of Sonupe, Beautyman and D'ath were all bright in spells but seem fairly light-weight. I think Sonupe is worth a short-term contract, its clear he has ability and with some solid coaching and experience I think he could progress well. Further up the pitch, Page has a dilemma because Revell is definitely more involved in the play than Richards but I don't think he has the goal-scoring threat Rico has.  

As I've said before on here, if we do not some more pace and quality add pace and quality in attacking areas we will struggle this season. I think that's something that is clear to everyone and given that our last pre-season game is on Saturday I would have liked to have seen those additions made already. Nevertheless, hopefully RP and KT do something to address the issue before the season gets underway.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: