The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 22:51:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Fleetwood (H) - First Game of Season

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fleetwood (H) - First Game of Season  (Read 14993 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2016, 18:37:02 pm »

Thought it was a solid enough performance.

As for the new players, Phillips was ok I thought, looks good enough to be a back up full back in League 1! Zakuani was exactly as sold, good defender, will head everything but not as great on the ball. Beautyman worked hard, did some good things but he would be so much better in the centre. Gorre looks like he could be dangerous but will need some patience and some games under his belt, actually thought he over played in the lead up to the goal but it was after 2 great bits of skill in the first place. Revell looked a decent target man, good in the air, good movement and work rate. Would have liked to see him push right onto their centre backs a bit more.

Thought Fleetwood were very poor, very much had an air of League 2 about them. If we had a bit more imagination in the final third second half, other than throw it in the box for the two big strikers we'd have won well I think.

Only negative for me is that I saw nothing to say Rico and Revell will be an effective pairing. I'd drop one of the two, push Beautyman infield and bring one of Potter, D'ath or Hoskins (or new signing) on the right, 433 or 4231, pick your poison

Above comments are about right. Fleetwood flattered themselves with their possession play. They were keen to exploit us at the back with I might add a fair amount of hoof/long ball. Smith was largely untroubled and I thought Phillips was ok didnt let any body down. Gorre had some decent moments but no real impact on the game. For large parts of the second half we went to sleep or the weather got to us. Fleetwood also tired in the last 15/20 mins. Taylor showed glimpses of class; he can certainly pick a pass! Beauty did pretty well 1st half but obviously tired 2nd half. JJOT IMO was really the pick of the midfield but even he had a few anxious moments. I agree with about moving Beauty to midfield with JJOT and Taylor - should be a good midfield.
I thought the main problem is with the fwds as the cutting edge became very muted as the game went on.
The over riding impression was that we missed two golden chances and the miss by Richards was terrible. Can't remember them having such a clear cut chance as Rico's miss.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 18:39:55 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2016, 19:27:12 pm »

Agree with most of the comments. If we are to persist with Richards & Revell up front the delivery into the box has to be a lot better.  With the exception of Taylor whose delivery was outstanding none of Gorre, Potter or Hoskins in the time they were on the pitch did anything to suggest they might be a great threat to League 1 defences. I thought Gorre looked alright but didn't get beyond the full back on any occasion i can recall always choosing to cut inside on his favoured right foot and then ran into traffic. 
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2016, 19:50:24 pm »

Agree with most of the comments. If we are to persist with Richards & Revell up front the delivery into the box has to be a lot better.  With the exception of Taylor whose delivery was outstanding none of Gorre, Potter or Hoskins in the time they were on the pitch did anything to suggest they might be a great threat to League 1 defences. I thought Gorre looked alright but didn't get beyond the full back on any occasion i can recall always choosing to cut inside on his favoured right foot and then ran into traffic. 

I thought Potter threatened from the right when he first came.on but did nothing when switched to the left.
Report Spam   Logged
sixfields starling

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2016, 19:57:28 pm »

Thought it was an ok performance today, nothing more really.Started well and should have been two up by half time. We lack pace out wide and on the couple of occasions we whipped some good crosses in,both to the back post, there was nobody running in to add the finishing touch, but hey,it was the first game,a point on the board and still undefeated..
Report Spam   Logged
The CrowMan
Maker of scarecrows.

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2016, 20:41:52 pm »

I am already sick of Mick George  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2016, 20:46:59 pm »

The middle of the pitch concerns me a little in all honesty - too many players the wrong side of 30. Diamond and Zak are strong individually but as a pairing looked susceptible to balls over the top (Devante Cole threatened to run rings round them at times). Likewise, two individually talented midfielders in O'Toole and Taylor but O'Toole has always been quite languid and Taylor is 34. Rico and Revell up front are too similar as well. We've got a collection of individually talented players but I'm not sure the balance is right, and stronger teams than Fleetwood will find ways to exploit that...
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2016, 21:20:15 pm »

The middle of the pitch concerns me a little in all honesty - too many players the wrong side of 30. Diamond and Zak are strong individually but as a pairing looked susceptible to balls over the top (Devante Cole threatened to run rings round them at times). Likewise, two individually talented midfielders in O'Toole and Taylor but O'Toole has always been quite languid and Taylor is 34. Rico and Revell up front are too similar as well. We've got a collection of individually talented players but I'm not sure the balance is right, and stronger teams than Fleetwood will find ways to exploit that...

I think you worry too much
Report Spam   Logged

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2016, 21:28:27 pm »

It seems most people are more positive about the performance today than I was. Last year we were explosive, today we looked slow and pedestrian. No shape, movement or creativity - our set pieces looked threatening but we didn't look like creating anything from open play most of the time.

Of the new boys...
Phillips was ok.
Zakuani looked good.
Beautyman looked for all the world like a central midfielder played out of position.
Gorre showed moments of class but looks too physically weak and got bullied off the ball before he could find any end product.
Taylor I was disappointed by. Good set piece delivery but apart from that one ball that set Hoskins away I felt he was quite anonymous most of the time.
Revell worked hard and fed well on the meagre offerings he was given.

For me though, the biggest downer was the style of play. In recent years I've been going to the Cobblers more out of habit than anything else but last year reignited my passion for the game; not just that we were getting results but it was exciting to watch. I was boring everyone senseless going on about the Cobblers. Today, midway through the second half, I found myself looking at my watch because I was bored watching it.

I'm not an idiot. Last year was exceptional and I didn't expect things to be the same now we've taken a step up. Today just bought it home to me that the magic of last season is well and truly over. Cry

Still, early days, maybe it will get better!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2016, 21:35:04 pm »

Spot on, and as the season goes on I think it will be exposed more and more. There isn't enough mobility through the core of the team.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2016, 21:53:46 pm »

May aswell not bother going then.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2016, 22:10:38 pm »

May aswell not bother going then.

You would be well within your rights to not bother attending  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2016, 22:12:31 pm »

Evaluation of the new guys.

Phillips - Better back up full back than Lelan
Zak - Very good, huge improvement
Beautyman - Neat and tidy, worked hard. But not a winger.
Gorre - Glimpses of trickery, but lightweight and won't work hard defensively
Taylor - Classy, better than Rose, excellent set play delivery
Revel - Carbon copy of Richards, they link up well

Evaluation of game

Two points dropped, Fleetwood will struggle, we seemed to lack cutting edge. However, could have easily been 4-1 with Gorre, Richards and Taylor/Diamond missing great chances, had they gone in would be a different story. With 3 players still to come in I'm optimistic of a top half finish.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2539

« Reply #192 on: August 07, 2016, 05:26:05 am »

Spot on, and as the season goes on I think it will be exposed more and more. There isn't enough mobility through the core of the team.
Totally agree about the lack of mobility through the core of the team.
Lets see if Mondays signing of a centre half is a first team starter. I think the plan will be to play McCourt as the anchor midfielder between Taylor and JJ.
Which leaves the biggest and most important signing being a pacey striker to play alongside Revell (Richards).

Another interesting week in the life of a Cobblers fan!
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 07, 2016, 08:03:57 am »

JJ Was poor at the start of last season, but didn't he come good? he may need a few games to be at his best. but He will get there, he has the class and it was only the first game remember.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 07, 2016, 08:34:15 am »

Totally agree about the lack of mobility through the core of the team.
Lets see if Mondays signing of a centre half is a first team starter. I think the plan will be to play McCourt as the anchor midfielder between Taylor and JJ.
Which leaves the biggest and most important signing being a pacey striker to play alongside Revell (Richards).

Another interesting week in the life of a Cobblers fan!

Blimey, what formation will you have us playing with 3 central midfieldes and 2 strikers?
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #195 on: August 07, 2016, 10:15:29 am »

The most worrying thing for me was the way we stood off them and let them play, last season we pressed teams and got the ball back.
Also we desperately need some pace out wide and up front, what's happened to Rico he was dreadful yesterday.
Positives were Revell and Taylor who both played well and look up to the standard.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Phippsville cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 07, 2016, 10:16:23 am »

First look at Gorre as not seen any pre season, has he been going outside full backs in other games? Pretty sure he cut inside every time he had the ball yesterday which often meant Richards and Revell having to check their runs. If the two R's are going to be the starting front men in a 442, would like to see Gorre and Harry just whip it in the box early. Zac looked solid, Phillips nothing spectacular, hope moloney isn't out too long though. Taylor probably pick of the bunch.
Report Spam   Logged
Westander

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 07, 2016, 10:37:58 am »

Think we need the wide players to stay wide, Gorre and Beautyman both wanted to cut inside too often, Potter when he came on at first stayed wide and nearly created a goal. Not everybody can be a centre forward.
Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #198 on: August 07, 2016, 11:21:01 am »

First look at Gorre as not seen any pre season, has he been going outside full backs in other games? Pretty sure he cut inside every time he had the ball yesterday which often meant Richards and Revell having to check their runs. If the two R's are going to be the starting front men in a 442, would like to see Gorre and Harry just whip it in the box early. Zac looked solid, Phillips nothing spectacular, hope moloney isn't out too long though. Taylor probably pick of the bunch.
He looks heavily right-footed, to me. Maybe RP wants him to cut inside more.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2016, 11:39:46 am »

It seems most people are more positive about the performance today than I was. Last year we were explosive, today we looked slow and pedestrian. No shape, movement or creativity - our set pieces looked threatening but we didn't look like creating anything from open play most of the time.

At the beginning of last season we had a few lack lustre games before it gelled. Our performance yesterday was not that much difference from those at the beginning of last season. Comparing our performance yesterday with the "on form" team of 15/16 is a bit illogical. Regarding your comments on creativity etc - it was a hot day which affected both teams, and also the young bloke who fell asleep in Row N approx seat 130.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: