The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 08:52:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Amendments to the Laws for the 2016/17 Season

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amendments to the Laws for the 2016/17 Season  (Read 1559 times)
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Windows User
« on: August 03, 2016, 17:37:14 pm »

Just been to an officials development day prior to the start of the new season, there are 94 amendments to the Laws for the new season.
The majority are just a change of wording and/or clarification of existing Laws to make them better understood/clearer.

However some of them, especially regarding offside and DOGSO (Denying an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity) are quite substantial and will require a few games before the teething problems bed in.  The professional players will have been fully briefed prior to the start of the season and all amateur clubs will have been provided copies but I am anticipating angst from the terraces initially, until the new Laws bed in (explained on MotD) and are fully understood.

All I can ask/suggest is for all to bear with the officials who will be enforcing these Laws.  In my opinion, in the majority of cases, they are to the benefit of the game and reflect a lot of what has been talked about and/or requested in bars, playing fields and clubs over the years.   
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 17:57:42 pm »

I've heard that they've changed one to basically stop what Suarez did in south Africa 10 when he handled the ball on the line knowing he'd get sent off but he's saved certain goal and there's a chance penalty might be saved. Which it was. Now I think it's a red and a goal, even if it doesn't cross the line. Is this correct?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 17:59:49 pm »

I think last man can get a yellow if its a genuine attempt to get the ball, and Ref dosn't have to send off the keeper to give a Pen.
Report Spam   Logged

Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 18:02:10 pm »

I've heard that they've changed one to basically stop what Suarez did in south Africa 10 when he handled the ball on the line knowing he'd get sent off but he's saved certain goal and there's a chance penalty might be saved. Which it was. Now I think it's a red and a goal, even if it doesn't cross the line. Is this correct?
I don't think so - I believe it would still be a penalty and a sending off. I think the main change is if someone is making a genuine attempt for the ball and fouling the attacking player, then it's only a caution. I believe this will result in less goalkeepers being sent off (and subsequently banned) for those near 50-50s where there's really nothing else they can do other than bring down the attacker if they get there marginally late.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 20:05:44 pm »

No, that wasn't one of them.
Monty is very near but it  has the added aspect of having different sanctions for DOGSO be it inside or outside the penalty area to prevent the jeopardies of conceding a penalty/goal and also losing the player. If it isn't deemed a genuine attempt, or it involves pulling, holding and/or pushing the red card will remain. Subjective decisions that will attract comment/controversy.
I am hopeful that the televised matches will provide good education early on.
Report Spam   Logged

The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 21:50:11 pm »

Doubtful, although I'm sure the new kick off rule will be covered in depth
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 22:01:35 pm »

Doubtful, although I'm sure the new kick off rule will be covered in depth

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

guest48

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 23:47:50 pm »

So no mention of Foul throws which players have got away with since the World Cup in South Africa. If we don't "play" the rule, like keepers holding the ball for no more than 6 seconds and foul throws, why are they still laws of the game ?
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 05:34:43 am »

So no mention of Foul throws which players have got away with since the World Cup in South Africa. If we don't "play" the rule, like keepers holding the ball for no more than 6 seconds and foul throws, why are they still laws of the game ?

The Law exists and is correct in its current state, the application is your concern, these are
amendments.
The practice of effectively throwing with one hand behind the ball has now been banned.
Report Spam   Logged

clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 06:42:31 am »

The most important and best rule change is the one about red cards for dissent.

It might be 9 a side in some games for a while but once the penny drops the sport will be way better for it.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 07:02:53 am »

It might be 9 a side in some games for a while but once the penny drops the sport will be way better for it.

refs will bottle it
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 08:45:31 am »

That is not an amendment to the Law, it is guidance to officials to reinforce the existing Law and to players/management that officials will be doing so.
Report Spam   Logged

pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 05:23:43 am »

refs will bottle it

Exactly that. What right has a part time referee who's into "gardening and squash" sending off a mutli-millionaire coz he said something he didn't like?
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
Turf Claret

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 07:06:05 am »

Exactly that. What right has a part time referee who's into "gardening and squash" sending off a mutli-millionaire coz he said something he didn't like?

Every right I'd say. He"s merely upholding and enforcing the laws and  regulations after all.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 07:15:30 am »

Every right I'd say. He"s merely upholding and enforcing the laws and  regulations after all.

True...
Report Spam   Logged

WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 08:58:17 am »

They need to do something about all the holding that goes on at corners in particular. Players are virtually forming a scrum at the moment. They need to start dishing out penalties and yellow cards. it may be a game ends up 7-7 with 6 penalties each but it will soon stop the problem. I don't understand why refs don't punish holding yet are quite happy to give a pen when there's a tiny nudge and a striker acts like he's had his back snapped.... If you hold a player after the corner has been taken its a foul, end of. The thing is if you grab a player anywhere else on the pitch the ref blows straight away and dishes a card...
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 09:12:44 am »

They need to do something about all the holding that goes on at corners in particular. Players are virtually forming a scrum at the moment. They need to start dishing out penalties and yellow cards. it may be a game ends up 7-7 with 6 penalties each but it will soon stop the problem. I don't understand why refs don't punish holding yet are quite happy to give a pen when there's a tiny nudge and a striker acts like he's had his back snapped.... If you hold a player after the corner has been taken its a foul, end of. The thing is if you grab a player anywhere else on the pitch the ref blows straight away and dishes a card...

It frustrates us all (officials) that the 'professional' officials allow the top players to get away with so much (including the verbals and holding at corners etc..) especially when its highlighted on TV.  You normally find what is seen on MotD etc is replicated in the parks which makes it more difficult for the grass roots officials, who invariably are the youngsters coming into the game, to manage their own games.
I had a good chat with Mike Riley (PGMO GM) about four years ago, at St Georges Park, regarding the impact of the TV officials on the grass roots game and the fact that we were losing keen young officials because of it.
We will see how the first couple of weeks go, these normally set the marker(s) for the rest of the season at all levels.
Report Spam   Logged

pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 12:27:17 pm »

Well you would hope so wouldn't you?
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
Westander

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 10:59:52 am »

I think one rule that's rarely employed correctly is when a ball goes out of play, how many times do we see the ball marginally cross the centre of the line a be flagged for a throw, goal kick etc. Don't know if that was why Revell got a yellow yesterday when he kicked the ball away, the rule is THE WHOLE OF THE BALL MUST CROSS THE WHOLE OF THE LINE, much like it is in tennis when we see the challenges replayed.
Report Spam   Logged
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 20:15:15 pm »

I think one rule that's rarely employed correctly is when a ball goes out of play, how many times do we see the ball marginally cross the centre of the line a be flagged for a throw, goal kick etc. Don't know if that was why Revell got a yellow yesterday when he kicked the ball away, the rule is THE WHOLE OF THE BALL MUST CROSS THE WHOLE OF THE LINE, much like it is in tennis when we see the challenges replayed.

Glad someone brought that moment up, 99% certain that ball was still in play.
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: