The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 06:50:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Pubs for Charlton

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pubs for Charlton  (Read 1496 times)
Wheresmeticket?

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: August 07, 2016, 20:59:02 pm »

I'd recommend stopping off at Greenwich where there are a few great pubs rather than going to the grim "Antigallican" opposite Charlton station.  You can also get a nice pie and mash in Greenwich covered market (Goddards) for that authentic Lahndahn experience.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 13:28:38 pm »

Will tickets be available on the gate? I'm not sure what our allocation is and likely take up.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 13:46:14 pm »

Where are the best pubs near Charlton? A group of us are going to London Bridge before the game. A certain ale fan will be able to vouch that the pubs in that area are pretty good  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
guest170

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 14:47:57 pm »

Will tickets be available on the gate? I'm not sure what our allocation is and likely take up.
Yes although I think they are more expensive. The away stand hold 3000, not sure we will sell them all.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 16:04:08 pm »

£23 on the day and we'll have about 1200 there I'd imagine.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 19:02:34 pm »

Where are the best pubs near Charlton? A group of us are going to London Bridge before the game. A certain ale fan will be able to vouch that the pubs in that area are pretty good  Grin
Nothing near Charlton as far as I know. Also London Bridge before, taking train into Charlton. Market Porter or Doggetts (Nicholson's pub) south side of Blackfriars opens early.
Greenwich after I'd guess, Pelton Arms (Maze Hill) among others.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 19:42:06 pm »

Dan, when you come out of London Bridge, the first pub you will see is The Barrow boy. Go past it through the market, and follow the river towards the next bridge. Almost underneath Cannon Street railway bridge, is The Anchor. Good selection of beers, food, and balcony, or sit by the river seats. I have used it a few times, its not that cheap, but it is in Central London. Its about a five minute walk from LB station, and you will go past The Golden Hind on the way.
It doesnt open until 11am though.  Cheesy

http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/anchor-bankside-southwark/p0977/
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Wheresmeticket?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 09:16:37 am »

There are some good, old pubs with good selection of real ales and food near London Bridge. Walking down towards Borough there are a couple on your left in mews courtyards.  Expect to pay around £5.50 - £6.00 per pint.  You can then take the 5 minute walk back to LB and theres a 20 minute journey to Charlton.

In Charlton itself you are looking at the Antigallican near the station and 10 mins from the ground.  It is very run down, gets VERY full on matchday, when it is pretty much dedicated to away fans. It's a bit ****, though, and you'll be standing up and drinking out of plastic.

If you get straight on the train from London Bridge towards Charlton, get off at Greenwich station, take a 10 minute walk towards Greenwich market avoiding the big pub near the station.  There are two pubs backing onto the covered market itself, and then there is the Gypsy Moth next to the Cutty Sark, which is nice, but gets crowded on a Saturday.  You can then get back on the train for the 10 minute onward journey to Charlton.

Charlton fans have been in a dispute with their owners for most of last season, and after their result against Bury this looks set to continue - there is now a pretty toxic atmosphere at the ground I believe.  I think Cobbler's fans can relate to unscrupulous owners shafting their club.  Expect too see the home fans getting on the back of the players early on, especially Roger Johnson who allegedly told his own fans to "F*** off if you don't like it" at Bury - to a thousand fans who had travelled half way across the country.  He will get dog's abuse, I suspect. Look out for the black and white flags of the Duchatelet out campaign.  The natives are friendly as long as you don't put your fingers too close to their teeth.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:22:35 am by Wheresmeticket? » Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 09:31:37 am »

We're on the 8.05 to London so doing a couple of pubs around Euston before heading to LB. Our first pub pencilled in is the Horniman.

Are any members on here going on the booze boat  Grin?
Report Spam   Logged

Wheresmeticket?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 09:41:14 am »

We're on the 8.05 to London so doing a couple of pubs around Euston before heading to LB. Our first pub pencilled in is the Horniman.

Alas, these days I'd be asleep by lunchtime  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 15:57:26 pm »

I love Euston Tap for something a bit crafty and different. Will be one to call in on your way home though.
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 15:59:42 pm »

I'm seeing Saturday aren't I? For my sins.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 22:39:25 pm »

I'm seeing Saturday aren't I? For my sins.

That'll be a quiet night at the library, NOT.
Report Spam   Logged

cobblerjane

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 12:25:28 pm »

Oh gawd. .

Signed Dan's mum.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: