The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 21:58:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Cobblers v W B A

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cobblers v W B A  (Read 13233 times)
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #220 on: August 24, 2016, 07:33:27 am »

Agree with Matthew Rush, it was indeed reminiscent of last season, the football was really good. Can't believe Pullis stating they coudl have scored 10! They had their chances sure but a couple of good saves from Smith was all that was needed
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #221 on: August 24, 2016, 07:48:03 am »

This. Or 4-1-4-1 as we might call it, with Mcourt protecting the back four and O'Toole and Taylor slightly further forward. I think/hope that Page might have stumbled upon a successful system.

I hope he sticks with it and uses Hooper as an impact sub rather than a starter.

McCourt's first appearance I think, was he really that good that he warrants a place in the starting XI?
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 24, 2016, 08:36:26 am »

This. Or 4-1-4-1 as we might call it, with Mcourt protecting the back four and O'Toole and Taylor slightly further forward. I think/hope that Page might have stumbled upon a successful system.

I hope he sticks with it and uses Hooper as an impact sub rather than a starter.

Stumbled? You really don't want to give Page any credit do you. Could the move to 4-1-4-1 not have coincided with McCourt's return to full fitness and availability? Nah, of course not, Page got lucky.
Report Spam   Logged
rebelspawn

View Profile
Search Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2016, 08:48:34 am »

McCourt's first appearance I think, was he really that good that he warrants a place in the starting XI?

In a word - Yes

Not just because HE had a good game, but because by playing the 4-1-4-1, JJ and Taylor were able advance more and give options in attack. That was the Key difference between Saturday's very poor performance, and last night once again looking like a free-flowing attacking side. (not quite for the whole game, but you have to account for the opposition of course)

I said before the Wimbledon game when others were asking for 2 up top and i will say it again -

4-4-2 its not auomatically more attacking, its as much about the creativity behind the frontline as it is about who and how many are up top. On saturday we saw 2 isolated strikers and no link up play. Last night we saw one striker but with tremendous support from full backs, wingers and most inportantly the two central midfields. All down to the anchor (McCourt) enabling this.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2016, 08:56:45 am »

Last night was a cracking couple of hours of entertainment for £15.  A virtually full strength Baggies, a team of Gullivers, but who for Prem footballers didn't look comfortable with the ball at their feet.  I thought Moloney mad all the difference for us, his marauding runs down the wing were a constant threat that seemed to lift the whole team. A number of impressive performances, Nyatanga slotted straight in alongside Diamond and Buchs, McCourt and JJ in centre mid, though both looked knackered at the end, and Revell worked his socks off yet again.   Let's hope we can take that spirit and energy to the Ricoh.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2016, 09:15:55 am »

Last night was a cracking couple of hours of entertainment for £15.

you missed the penalties then?
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2016, 09:20:49 am »

you missed the penalties then?
No, Insider didn't take one, it was JJ who missed for us  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #227 on: August 24, 2016, 09:30:02 am »

I thought the team were fantastic last night and they played with a level of energy I hadn't seen so far this season. It was the type of performance that the club needed after a fairly uninspiring summer. If the lads can put that kind of shift in on a regular basis, we'll have more good days than bad this season. Moloney showed that when fully fit, he's a level above Phillips. I thought McCourt started off trying a bit too hard to play 45 yard passes, but once he settled down he was fantastic.

Revell was my man of the match though. I haven't seen a striker with that kind of work rate at Sixfields in a long time. He was still making 30 yard sprints to chase the ball down even in the 90th minute. The best thing about it is that he doesn't just run around like a headless chicken, he's very intelligent with his movement and hold up play. Presuming we don't sign another striker in this window, keeping him fit will be key for us this year. I still think we need more creativity in the final third though, hopefully Page can add some quality to play behind the striker.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 24, 2016, 09:58:08 am »

Before anyone has a pop at me, I am NOT beig  disrespectfull of Chris Wilder,But just about tactics,. If we had played as we played lat night we did last season, we may well have lost the game against WBA, But because we are sronger in defence than we were, we held then to only 2 goals in all of the game, plus extra time.A super effort.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #229 on: August 24, 2016, 10:15:13 am »

Just think, if we draw a big team away then we might get enough gate money and tv money to sign Hal Robson-Kanu.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2016, 10:34:08 am »

Much, much better against a strong WBA side.  The formation and the substitutions all worked well. Excellent night and Coventry look ready to be turned over at their place.
Report Spam   Logged
vietnamcobbler

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2016, 10:43:14 am »

Can rarely contribute my thoughts to games as I'm often limited to listening to the matches on the radio, but was very happy to be in attendance last night!

Firstly, what a contrast to Saturday! I feel there were a few reasons for the raised performance which I hope will continue into future games;

1) Formation - it was very clear we benefited from having that extra body in midfield to compete for the second balls and provide us more width.

2) Jak McCourt - Solid and unspectacular, Jak sitting in front of the back 4 gave Taylor license to push further up the pitch, felt Matty was much more effective in a more advanced role.

3) Maloney - makes an impact on the game by being able to pose real attacking threat from his direct and piercing runs from full back. He must play.

Other than the above, there were so many fantastic individual performances which makes me feel optimistic about the season ahead.

Smith - Other than his mistake for the 1st goal, he had a blinder. A few fantastic saves in both halves which I doubt many other keepers in the lower tiers could have kept out.
Buchs - Solid as always.
Nyatanga - a great debut, kept Lambert very quiet. RP has a selection dilemma on his hands.
Diamond - Cracking header for the goal and shortly after made an amazing diving header to clear the ball from what would have been a very quick reply from Albion.
JJ - close to his best last night, showed maturity to keep himself out of trouble after picking up a yellow from the altercation with that tw%t Mcclean
Taylor - feel he is only going to get better in a Cobblers shirt, especially when he has more license to push further up the pitch.
Gorre - Saw more glimpses of what he can bring to the team, was less predictable today and made some cracking runs with the ball. Still feel his work rate when defending needs to improve.
Beautyman - An inform version of Hoskins from what I have seen so far, he's tricky on the ball and can beat his man. Cracking effort from the edge of the D after a cleared corner.
Revell - His attributes fit the formation perfectly last night, never seen so much energy and desire from a front man before - Felt he was especially effective last night as the Albion defense really couldn't handle chasing balls down their flanks.
Potter - must give a special mention to Potter, thought he was fantastic when he came on last night and created many problems for the tiring Albion defense. Great work rate and was a real danger when on the ball.

Questions/Comments:

Adam Smith - There must be some added interest for the boy from last night's performance. Would you be happy to sell him if the money was decent and we knew it could be reinvested back into the squad? How much would it unsettle the defense if he went?

JJ Hooper - With Hooper available for selection at Coventry, how could he fit into the formation played last night? Do we have to revert back to two up front or give Revell a rest?

So much more I could talk about from the night on and off the pitch - but I'll leave it there Wink

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:01:07 am by vietnamcobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Ryan Amoo 14

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2016, 10:56:29 am »

Adam Smith - There must be some added interest for the boy from last nights performance. Would you be happy to sell him if the money was decent and we knew it could be reinvested back into the squad? How much would it unsettle the defense if he went?

Bigger problem with Smith is that he's a free agent at the end of the season and (just) too old for us to be compensated if he decides to join another side. 

You'd have to guess we've had no joy getting him to extend his contract (we've extended the contracts of Hoskins, D'Ath, McDonald recently; can't imagine they were all prioritised ahead of him!).  Will be a real shame when/if he leaves the club, would be even worse if we didn't receive a penny for what must be one of our most talented footballers of the last decade or so.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2016, 11:04:54 am »

Adam Smith - There must be some added interest for the boy from last night's performance. Would you be happy to sell him if the money was decent and we knew it could be reinvested back into the squad? How much would it unsettle the defense if he went?

well, any interest would be added interest.

if there was any, he would have gone, so i doubt there has been any - and don't think there will be this close to the window closing.

if he isn't going anywhere as first choice, there isn't much point in going.
Report Spam   Logged
vietnamcobbler

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2016, 11:07:26 am »

Bigger problem with Smith is that he's a free agent at the end of the season and (just) too old for us to be compensated if he decides to join another side. 

You'd have to guess we've had no joy getting him to extend his contract (we've extended the contracts of Hoskins, D'Ath, McDonald recently; can't imagine they were all prioritised ahead of him!).  Will be a real shame when/if he leaves the club, would be even worse if we didn't receive a penny for what must be one of our most talented footballers of the last decade or so.

s*** - a very valid point. Does that mean we should be more inclined to accept an offer (should one come in) during this window, or would it be better for us to extract playing value from him for the rest of this season.

Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2016, 12:02:53 pm »

You mean like we did with Holmes?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2016, 16:14:49 pm »

Interesting stat of the Official Site fixture list. Apparently last night we played Albion and we drew 2-2!!! I wasn't aware that we were playing a Scottish League One side!!!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2016, 17:46:26 pm »

Can rarely contribute my thoughts to games as I'm often limited to listening to the matches on the radio, but was very happy to be in attendance last night!

Blimey - you still hanging around for your op?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
vietnamcobbler

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2016, 17:59:04 pm »

Blimey - you still hanging around for your op?

Yes mate, the date got postponed unfortunately. Friday is the big day, hoping I'll be able to sneak out in time on Saturday to get to Coventry Wink

Report Spam   Logged
philntfc

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2016, 18:33:32 pm »

Notwithstanding the result, that was a cracking game of football. Such a contrast to the last couple of games, it bodes well for the rest of the season if they can maintain that level of performance.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: