The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 02:44:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wimbledon - Game & Gate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wimbledon - Game & Gate  (Read 8183 times)
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2016, 05:51:42 am »

It was obvious in the Eastleigh game that we really didn't seem to have a clue going forward, whilst that was Gorres first game he really did nothing and the few minute Sonupe was on the pitch he seemed a better player. That game really felt like watching England play in the Euros. Defensively we look quite strong but in several games so far we have been on the back foot and have ridden our luck. WE really do need a couple of quality additions up front, someone to provide some creativity which is severely lacking and someone to support/relieve Revell We will be facing better teams in this League and with 3 points for a win, draws will leave us struggling. Hope its more adventurous on Tuesday. Still, could be worse, you coulkd be a Blades fan.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2016, 06:28:27 am »

I have now watched 4 continuous hours of some of the dullest football the Cobblers have ever produced in which we've forced oppositions goalies to make precisely one save.  We need more than a striker to turn this around.  The spine is solid, but we could have played all weekend and still not score.  A Rico/Revell combo simply doesn't work.  
                But, Please remember that, this type of football got us to Wembly twice, We won the first 1-0 and lost the second 0-1.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2016, 07:08:37 am »

But, Please remember that, this type of football got us to Wembly twice, We won the first 1-0 and lost the second 0-1.

The difference is, Atko made the best with what he'd got to work with by getting a bunch of average journeymen and turning them into a well drilled unit. Page has a group of talented footballers and is making them hoof it!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2016, 07:47:36 am »

Plainly awful yesterday. Certainly, we need a decent striker (not, I suggest, a rookie from the Prem) and that has been the case for several months. Time is running out fast. But however good the front men they are not to score if the delivery continues to be as bad as in recent games. Why are Hoskins and Gorre being played out of position although I doubt that either are good enough in the first place. Strange that a week after RP was talking up Potter he disappears to the bench. I think there is some confused thinking in progress. In short not just a striker (or 2 if Richards doesn't get over his injuries) but 2 widemen badly needed. The season could go either way but I fear for the worst unless some very quick quality signings are made. One major disappointment so far has been JJOT who looks too slow. His place may be under threat.
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2016, 08:03:41 am »

Apart from the fact the 90 minutes was so dull what concerned me most was the midfield or lack of it. We could have brought in any forwards you like yesterday but with the midfield playing so deep and far apart any form of supply to the front two seemed non existent other than the monotonous amount of hoofballs that saw Wimbledon, as with Oldham on Tuesday, winning the ball and coming straight back at us.
If John-Joe is having such an ineffectual game (No idea how anyone could vote him MOM) you know something isn't sitting right. Page does seem to still be sussing players out desperate to find a midfielder able to take that right winger position on. Judging from yesterday he can take Hoskins and Beautyman off the list.
As Page says, we are still an early season work in progress but along with that much needed different option of right winger and frontman he needs to find a midfielder able to impose himself on the game and get us moving and organised. I thought JJ and Taylor would be running things... Still early days though.
Having said all that the defence once again kept a clean sheet which is a definite positive.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2016, 08:12:39 am »

Due to holidays and my non interest in pre-season games, yesterday was the first time Ive seen us since Page was appointed. Got to say Im concerned.

Firstly, its abundantly clear we need at least two additional attacking options. Namely a winger and a striker and both need to have decent pace. One or t'other will not 'do it'. The best winger in the world would be wasted with the pedestrian forward line we currently have. Whilst the best striker in the world would still need chances to score. If two decent options were brought in, I think we would see some of the others up their game, the likes of Hoskins, Gorre etc would be less occupied by defenders than they currently are.

Secondly, and this concerns me more is the style of play. We seemed to play for a 0-0 yesterday. I said to my mate it was like watching us away from home under Atkins. Note 'away from home'. When we did break, the players didn't come forward enough numbers wise. We didn't take ANY risks. Is the long unbeaten run now becoming a burden? I asked that question on twitter last weekend because I think it has. As a fan, theres a part of me that is now happy with a draw (at home) because it means we remain unbeaten. I bet most people will feel the same. That said, we are better off losing, drawing, winning than drawing x 3. I actually think a defeat in the league would help us in the long run.

Finally, what the hell happens when we go a goal down? We will then have to start attacking, we do not have sufficient armoury currently and I can see a team hammering us at some point very soon if they get a goal past us early doors.

I don't think we are far off being a very decent side, I really don't. In summary, a top level winger and a decent striker added to the squad could make the difference between top 8 and bottom 8. Its very frustrating!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:15:38 am by DrillingCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2016, 08:15:18 am »

Plainly awful yesterday. Certainly, we need a decent striker (not, I suggest, a rookie from the Prem)

it is going to be a rookie, not necessarily from the prem - they have already told us this...............
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2016, 08:39:38 am »

Let's look on the bright side, New division, played 4 games lost NONE. Not bad going for a side that has just gone up. Football fans are hard to please. They make good knifes in Sheffield or at least they used to and they are out for WILDER !
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2016, 08:47:12 am »

Let's look on the bright side, New division, played 4 games lost NONE. Not bad going for a side that has just gone up. Football fans are hard to please. They make good knifes in Sheffield or at least they used to and they are out for WILDER !

I know what you mean, but Wimbledon had lost all their games prior to yesterday while we are still unbeaten. Should we lose and they win next Saturday, we'll both have the same amount of points. Personally I'd rather see a little more adventure and ambition to win games. We could keep a clean sheet in every game between now and the end of the season and still get relegated given our current attacking intent!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2016, 08:52:10 am »

Exactly, it could be Sheff United, in reality I think the latter part of last season flattered us somewhat and with Holmes gone we seem to be lacking any creativity, took a mate to Fleetwood game and he saw circa 8 games last season, he used a particulary approriate adjective for that game 'turgid'. Its what i've seen in the games so far. Sure we are difficult to beat but we have been very fortunate not to concede more goals in each game so far and could well have been looking at less than 4 points on the board to date. It needs to be sorted in the next week, otherwise by the time January comes around all of the success of last year could be unwinding. Its always going to be difficult jumping up a League but Page still doesn't seem to know his best team, that was what pre-season was about surely.
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2016, 09:03:36 am »

KT's early strategy of reliance on supposedly quality loans from Prem teams has surely hindered Page. If the players to finalise the squad till Jan aren't here how can he settle on a team?
I wonder if Page used this strategy of Prem loans in the last two seasons at Port Vale?
Report Spam   Logged
ajp

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2016, 09:39:12 am »

Loans loans loans... That's where the underlying problem lies..
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2016, 09:50:10 am »

Just changing the subject slightly, was that the vaguest yellow card ever ? Apparently it was to Buchanan, but the ref spoke to the lino and then just run back on the pitch and held up a yellow, not making it at all clear who was being booked. He didn't seem to like Buchs, pulling him up loads of times on where to take throw ins but didn't bother at all about where the Dons took them from.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2016, 09:51:41 am »

Loans loans loans... That's where the underlying problem lies..

Agree.  Especially if the Prem are now insisting that their loanees start 75% of games.
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler150

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2016, 10:02:04 am »

What makes me laugh is Vale fans told us to expect this type of football and you lot are banging on like we weret warned.

He knows the squads not finished, knows what he needs, if we are still in league 1 at end of season who cares. Oldham, Fleetwood, Wimbledon Charlton and Barnsley have done nothing against us to suggest we are up creek without a paddle. So if were have employed the Pullis of league 1, who cares.
Report Spam   Logged
The CrowMan
Maker of scarecrows.

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2016, 10:20:52 am »

Let's look on the bright side, New division, played 4 games lost NONE. Not bad going for a side that has just gone up. Football fans are hard to please.

Yes, you could look at it like that but yesterday lost a few bums off seats for the next home game I'm sure. Some of us like the attacking side of the game defender and it's something we are not very good at, at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2016, 10:25:40 am »

What makes me laugh is Vale fans told us to expect this type of football and you lot are banging on like we weret warned.

He knows the squads not finished, knows what he needs, if we are still in league 1 at end of season who cares. Oldham, Fleetwood, Wimbledon Charlton and Barnsley have done nothing against us to suggest we are up creek without a paddle. So if were have employed the Pullis of league 1, who cares.

He may well keep us up.  But to suggest that we don't have a problem consider this (from the BBC) from our last three games:  Possession: 52%, 39%, 44%.  Corners: 13 for us, 30 for the opposition.  Shots on target 13 versus 24 for the opposition.  Sooner or later our luck is going to run out.  We're not creating chances and we are struggling to retain possession.  Three of the four teams we've played are in the bottom 8.  
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler150

« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2016, 10:39:06 am »

He may well keep us up.  But to suggest that we don't have a problem consider this (from the BBC) from our last three games:  Possession: 52%, 39%, 44%.  Corners: 13 for us, 30 for the opposition.  Shots on target 13 versus 24 for the opposition.  Sooner or later our luck is going to run out.  We're not creating chances and we are struggling to retain possession.  Three of the four teams we've played are in the bottom 8.  

Team is still gelling , if its like this by christmas then Ill worry.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2016, 12:44:08 pm »

We're not bottom though...who is?

Good point!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2016, 13:12:53 pm »

Three of the four teams we've played are in the bottom 8.  

I don't take table positions too seriously particularly in August! For example Charlton are hardly a bottom 8 side and Fleetwood are proving no mugs!
Furthermore the three other sides promoted with us are all below us in the table!

After the early season defeats 15/16 I can distinctly remember at least two (not you) Hotel Enders calling for CW's head! To me our current form is similar to our start last year. We suddenly gelled and the rest is history. However I cannot understand D'ath , MacDonalds and Byron omittance from the bench! Certainly Lawson would have livened things up for us yesterday! Dont think "Snoppy" is quite ready yet and continued selection of Gorre is a puzzle. Thought that JJOT did ok yesterday broke things up and battled well. Taylor is an enigma - genuine "flatter to deceive" player. Beginning to think Byron is better option. As for boredom - it was a typical August game and we were highly predictable in what we did. However the defence appears to be pretty solid with Smith hardly troubled so far this season. Unlike last season! Surprised to see so many of you throwing your toys out the pram; recall D'ath sign two attacking midfield players (similar to RH and NA) and all might be well.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: