The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:28:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wimbledon - Game & Gate

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wimbledon - Game & Gate  (Read 8065 times)
EssTeeFree

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2016, 13:24:19 pm »

I'm not sure that people are giving enough weight to us moving up a division.

JJOT not as dominant as last year? It's almost like he's playing against better players.
Byrom should be in instead of Taylor? I don't think Taylor has been significantly worse than Byrom was last year in the league below, is Byrom going to look better in this league than the last one?
D'ath should play? The same player that struggled to really make an impact in the league below last year.

As for McDonald not being on the bench, I'm not sure wether he or Nyantanga is our 3rd choice CB will affect our season too significantly.

I agree with everyone it is frustrating and not a lot of fun to watch right now. Let's judge the squad after deadline day and Page after 10 to 15 games at the very least.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2016, 13:48:25 pm »

D'ath should play? The same player that struggled to really make an impact in the league below last year.

Not sure how much of last season you saw as if you had you may recall that D'ath had several good games at least upto Xmas.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2016, 14:02:21 pm »

Not sure how much of last season you saw as if you had you may recall that D'ath had several good games at least upto Xmas.

I think you'd struggle to argue he contributed as much as Adams to our success and the consensus on here seems to be that he was no big loss when he left.

Who knows, he may pull up trees in this league given the chance - I remember Wilder saying he thought he'd be better in the league above - but I'm not convinced, I certainly don't think he's the missing link.
Report Spam   Logged
Artlenock Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2016, 14:18:57 pm »

Well, that was a load of old bollocks wasn't it. The most entertaining parts were Clarence deliberately standing in the water shower from the sprinkler and the bloke in the north stand trying to kick the ball through the hoardings and hurting his foot.

oooo......   and the dude complaining about the price of a cheeseburger. He was not a happy chappy  Grin

I've not laughed so much at a football match since Derry Felton's pitch invasion at those two incidents, plus the '**** a doodle do' response from somone in the north to Maz's new haircut.  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:08:48 pm by Artlenock Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
The CrowMan
Maker of scarecrows.

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2016, 15:33:40 pm »

I've not laughed to much at a football match since Derry Felton's pitch invasion at those two incidents, plus the '**** a doodle do' response from somone in the north to Maz's new haircuut.  Grin Grin Grin

Grin

Unfortunately none of the above are covered in the highlights ...

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2016, 16:00:28 pm »

I think you'd struggle to argue he contributed as much as Adams to our success and the consensus on here seems to be that he was no big loss when he left.

I like D'ath did well upto Xmas as did Adams. D'ath scored more goals for NTFC than Adams. So there!
Report Spam   Logged

WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2016, 17:05:46 pm »

Glad I made the decision to go to Edgbaston for a fantastic day of exciting and tense cricket, good beer, banter and seeing Northants lift the trophy. I never thought I would see the Cobblers and the County lift major trophies in the same year. Magical. Just need the Cobblers to push on, make a couple of exciting signings and enjoy life in League One.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2016, 17:15:00 pm »

I'm not sure that people are giving enough weight to us moving up a division.

JJOT not as dominant as last year? It's almost like he's playing against better players.
Byrom should be in instead of Taylor? I don't think Taylor has been significantly worse than Byrom was last year in the league below, is Byrom going to look better in this league than the last one?

As for McDonald not being on the bench, I'm not sure wether he or Nyantanga is our 3rd choice CB will affect our season too significantly.

I agree with everyone it is frustrating and not a lot of fun to watch right now. Let's judge the squad after deadline day and Page after 10 to 15 games at the very least.
  GOOD POST SIR.
Report Spam   Logged
SmithyNTFC

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2016, 20:06:33 pm »

I went to Oldham and I went at the weekend vs Dons and I don't think I've ever seen two games of football where at half time I am bored and looking forward to being at home.

Last season, you could not keep me away from Sixfields or the away games, the atmosphere throughout the team and fans was brilliant and we were all together as one big team. However, the way this season has started and with all the changes I feel that the bond has been broken a little bit.

We clearly miss Holmes and failure to replace him and sign another striker is Pages biggest downfall of his short NTFC career so far, is it too late to get decent replacement in those positions? .... I think so

I will be there on Tuesday and looking forward to the game, however talking league terms ... we need to improve massively or we will struggle and find ourselves back in a league to which took us years to get out of.
Report Spam   Logged
Macc Cobbler

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2016, 21:48:52 pm »

Page after the game suggested only 5 players playing to their potential ... whilst the rest under performing.
I would say that none of those are in the midfield, and this is where our main problem lies ..... and over the years how often have we said this.
Separately, why do we need to have all eleven players back at set pieces ... leaves no outlet and just invites the opposition back onto us.
Finally I was thinking seven points from our first five games was a realistic target, so still on target ... but not in the way I expected.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2016, 21:54:15 pm »

I went to Oldham and I went at the weekend vs Dons and I don't think I've ever seen two games of football where at half time I am bored and looking forward to being at home.

Last season, you could not keep me away from Sixfields or the away games, the atmosphere throughout the team and fans was brilliant and we were all together as one big team. However, the way this season has started and with all the changes I feel that the bond has been broken a little bit.

We clearly miss Holmes and failure to replace him and sign another striker is Pages biggest downfall of his short NTFC career so far, is it too late to get decent replacement in those positions? .... I think so

I will be there on Tuesday and looking forward to the game, however talking league terms ... we need to improve massively or we will struggle and find ourselves back in a league to which took us years to get out of.

Fairweather supporter? Very good comments tho' - perhaps a bit one sided. What Page has done is made the defense decent for L1. The reality is that virtually every club in L1,L2 and the Chamionship are looking for that elusive striker so to replace Holmes is nigh impossible. There were games last season for example Barnet(A) and Dagenham (H) when I wondered if there were better things to do. Even at Mansfield and Stevenage I had similar thoughts at half time!  Remember it took us to Jan '15 to sign Holmes and that was a bit of a ****. Our side of last year was not built in day but the foundations were laid back in the 14/15 season. I don't think we need to improve massively all round but merely a decent midfielder and a striker may well make us tick again. I can remember games in the Adkins era which were pretty boring, but to me at least apart from the two obvious signings the side will only need tweaking. I think Page has decent team foundation(s) to build on.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 21:59:09 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

boblarkin

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2016, 22:05:43 pm »

Poor match.

Poor Cobblers display.

Both centre halves good. Goalie and left back OK. Rest mediocre.

Why play Hoskins as an ineffectual winger? His strength is playing off target men. If you want a winger then  play Potter.

Moloney has been on the bench for 4 games. If he is fit we need him.

O'Toole got booked because of "words" after the final whistle. Is he really that thick? I have been advised that he was subbed at Oldham in case he got a red. He contributed little of value to this game.

So far not impressed by Mr Page or his team.

Report Spam   Logged
SmithyNTFC

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2016, 22:29:49 pm »

Fairweather supporter? Very good comments tho' - perhaps a bit one sided. What Page has done is made the defense decent for L1. The reality is that virtually every club in L1,L2 and the Chamionship are looking for that elusive striker so to replace Holmes is nigh impossible. There were games last season for example Barnet(A) and Dagenham (H) when I wondered if there were better things to do. Even at Mansfield and Stevenage I had similar thoughts at half time!  Remember it took us to Jan '15 to sign Holmes and that was a bit of a ****. Our side of last year was not built in day but the foundations were laid back in the 14/15 season. I don't think we need to improve massively all round but merely a decent midfielder and a striker may well make us tick again. I can remember games in the Adkins era which were pretty boring, but to me at least apart from the two obvious signings the side will only need tweaking. I think Page has decent team foundation(s) to build on.

Fairweather? Defo not .. If I was I would have followed a lot of our support to MK  Wink

Best thing Page has done is signing Gaby. I've been very impressed with him so far and our defence looks better than it was last season, although I'm still suspect about Phillips.

We desperately need a natural winger and striker. Hoskins is not a winger and Potter, well he is not League Two level let alone League One. The signings of Taylor and Gaby made me optimistic but after seeing that Rico and Revell get absolute zero service to score goals, you can sense that goals this season are going to be hard to get.

You could sense the anger and disappointment in the performance on Saturday and it's always an interesting walk up the Sixfields hill towards the car parks, listening to fans opinions on the game - to which were all the same

'**** teams, **** game, **** ref, oh and west stand lino'  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2016, 05:02:27 am »

He may well keep us up.  But to suggest that we don't have a problem consider this (from the BBC) from our last three games:  Possession: 52%, 39%, 44%.  Corners: 13 for us, 30 for the opposition.  Shots on target 13 versus 24 for the opposition.  Sooner or later our luck is going to run out.  We're not creating chances and we are struggling to retain possession.  Three of the four teams we've played are in the bottom 8.  
Get your facts right! Only 1 of the four teams we have played is in the bottom 8!!!! We have also beaten the team that is currently 9th in the Championship.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2016, 06:06:10 am »

and west stand lino'  Grin

That lino had a shocking game. Buchanan must have let him know that, leading to the petulant demand for a yellow card.
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2016, 06:18:35 am »

Get your facts right! Only 1 of the four teams we have played is in the bottom 8!!!! We have also beaten the team that is currently 9th in the Championship.

My apologies, I was looking at the pre-match table.  But with the exception of Fleetwood, they were all in the bottom 8 at the start of play.  If we keep failing to beat these sides we have to hope we'll pick our performances up against the better teams.  As for the League cup, who really gives a damn?  we beat Liverpool, but had a very poor league season.  Next up Coventry, bottom four, let's see on Saturday.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2016, 13:13:16 pm »

Fairweather supporter? Very good comments tho' - perhaps a bit one sided. What Page has done is made the defense decent for L1. The reality is that virtually every club in L1,L2 and the Chamionship are looking for that elusive striker so to replace Holmes is nigh impossible. There were games last season for example Barnet(A) and Dagenham (H) when I wondered if there were better things to do. Even at Mansfield and Stevenage I had similar thoughts at half time!  Remember it took us to Jan '15 to sign Holmes and that was a bit of a ****. Our side of last year was not built in day but the foundations were laid back in the 14/15 season. I don't think we need to improve massively all round but merely a decent midfielder and a striker may well make us tick again. I can remember games in the Adkins era which were pretty boring, but to me at least apart from the two obvious signings the side will only need tweaking. I think Page has decent team foundation(s) to build on.

I agree that he has decent team foundations to build on.

Keeper and defence...very decent.
Deep lying midfielders...not an issue.

Issue is solely the attacking wide players and the lack of pace in the forward line. I think our biggest problem though is that those who are playing in those positions currently are so far short of whats needed we are effectively playing with no strike force. If they were average we would probably be ok. But based on Saturday, I may well have been playing where Hoskins was, and Rico doesn't appear to be up to this level. He may have not trained (as per Pages interview), if so then why play him? Surely Hoskins could have joined Revell up top and Potter played on the right? Or even Lawson...

I don't think Page's team selections are helping his case at the moment. Its a rather arrogant thing to say but at this moment in time, arguably we (as in fans) know more about some of our players in game situations than what he does. Most of us given the straight choice of Hoskins v Lawson on the right would pick the latter, even those who think he's useless.

Im still optimistic that we can be good this season, these 2 or 3 signings pre August31st could well be the difference between a battle to stay up or having a pop at the play offs.

Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2016, 13:34:56 pm »

That's how I also see it. If you are going to play Hoskins & Gorre at least play them in their natural positions. IMO we are 3 player short in the positions Drilling identifies and without them it could be a difficult season. Much depends on the next 7 days before the transfer window closes.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2016, 13:43:26 pm »

Simple fact of the situation is we don't have any creativity.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: