The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 08:25:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Changing a winning team (and style)...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing a winning team (and style)...  (Read 3641 times)
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Mobile User
« on: August 20, 2016, 16:24:14 pm »

I would have posted this whether we won, drew or lost today.

Page has been quoted numerous times how he doesn't want to distrupt a winning team (and also the style of football), but wants to add quality to the squad. What with the loan rules I think page has done this and is nearly there. We all know what we are missing and so does Page (hopefully).

However he clearly has changed the XI and surely this is the most important part of a winning team? He has clearly spun this to his advantage. Only 4 players from last season have been first choice this season. Smith, Buchanan, O'Toole, and suprisingly Diamond (he has done well though).

Moloney (although has been injured)
D'Ath
Byrom (1 sub app)
McDonald

4 players who have played no part this season and I'm struggling to see how they are not all at least on the bench. Last season they all played important parts to a championship winning team. I want to see them rewarded and yet they haven't even been given a chance at the start before these so called quality players have taken the shirts from them.

I am however right behind Page and we are a step up so can't be too judgemental until at least Jan. I just want him to cut the bull s h i t. I don't think he even knows his best team, Hoskins, Revell and Richards in the team. Beautyman out wide, Potter in behind proves this. But for some reason these four players from last year haven't even had a sniff.

P.S. I wish people and more importantly the players would forget about this winning run, it has nothing to do with the previous 24 odd games. We are four unbeaten but haven't won.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 16:43:40 pm »

Out of the 4, find it most odd D'Ath hasn't had more involvement.

Just an appearance against Barnsley in the cup.. I think.
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 16:56:57 pm »

D'Ath is a better player than Gorre everyday of the week and aleast deserves a place on the bench.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 16:58:31 pm »

We have to remember that page sees the players in training every day and I'm sure he's not the kind of manager to cut his nose off to spite his face - he hinted at this in his post match interview, that the likes of d'ath and byrom are not doing enough to be selected. I've got no evidence for this but I've got a gut feeling that when the championship was won and wilder left complacency set in and an element of believing their own press.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 17:08:27 pm »

That's the managers spin on it pal, but I suspect he would play Gorre even if he had a nightmare in training everyday.

Managers always want to bring in their own players and Put their own stamp on the team.

For my money he has gone too top heavy in the midfield which doesn't have the right balance as yet but plenty of time to put that right.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 17:44:49 pm »

Would agree D'ath is the most surprising, I don't think he offers any less then Beautyman or Gorre. I can't see an argument for McDonald or Byrom starting ahead or Diamond Zak, JJ or Taylor though.
Report Spam   Logged
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 17:59:43 pm »

Dont panic  .... theres still 42 points to play for ..

its a long season
Report Spam   Logged
Farleymoo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 18:03:42 pm »

Beautyman needs to be behind the strikers he's a goal machine when's he's regular in
 Position He's not a right mid look at his 1st pre season it worked y change it all we do is defend and huff it
Need to start passing it about and playing football all this 1 point is better then 0 bollox my arse 3 points is better then 1 is what we should be saying
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 18:18:47 pm »

A new manager, new style of play, Nothing unusual about that, He has made the team strong at the back, which he had to do with us getting to L1, He is building his side by starting at the back, not a lot wrong with that either, before any negative comments are thrown at Rob Page, give the man time, at least ten games, I feel there is nothing wrong that a new good striker won't put right. I do wish that we had at least on defender on the post's, but that could be Smiths choice.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 18:41:16 pm »

Don't panic we are not doomed Mr Mannering !
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 18:50:22 pm »

A new manager, new style of play, Nothing unusual about that

I don't know if I made my point clear enough. That is what you would expect, yes. But Page made a massive point about continuity and momentum. That clearly hasn't happened and he has outright lied about it.

also I know you have to take into account Holmes and Adams, but for me he has changed way too much. Lets just hope its for the better. This is not a point about the start of the season.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 21:36:50 pm by 606 Parklands_Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
cobbler150

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 18:55:25 pm »

A new manager, new style of play, Nothing unusual about that, He has made the team strong at the back, which he had to do with us getting to L1, He is building his side by starting at the back, not a lot wrong with that either, before any negative comments are thrown at Rob Page, give the man time, at least ten games, I feel there is nothing wrong that a new good striker won't put right. I do wish that we had at least on defender on the post's, but that could be Smiths choice.

Spot on, some people on here moaning about Page yet telling United fans to give Wilder time. When it sounds like they are falling apart. Look good at the back,  quality in the midfield is there, just need to get the balance right and Revell up top is easy good enough for this league, Rico not so, as much as I love him. New striker and a winger is need. Ether lads from Palace rumoured on here or Enoch the x vale winger will do.

Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 19:26:20 pm »

Don't panic we are not doomed Mr Mannering !

Mainwaring.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 20:07:15 pm »

Dont panic  .... theres still 42 points to play for ..

its a long season

Just 42 points to play for...?
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2016, 20:35:27 pm »

Just 42 points to play for...?

im sure u will work it out eventually
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 20:54:59 pm »

im sure u will work it out eventually

Do we get to sing 69 undefeated?
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
defender

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 07:34:53 am »

Mainwaring.

I stand corrected Sir.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 08:14:24 am »

Do we get to sing 69 undefeated?

if we are 69 undefeated, then yes.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 14:26:34 pm »

Page has struck me from day one as an opportunistic manager who makes it up as he goes along without having an overall strategy. Players such as Beautyman, Taylor, Gorre and even Revell seem to have been signed simply because they had a decent rep and were available; he doesn't seem to have thought much about how they would compliment our existing squad or fit into an overall system.

He seems to have based our whole attacking strategy on a 20 year old rookie who will be gone in January.

Fortunately, by hook or by crook he has managed to make us solid and if we can start nicking the odd goal we should survive. 
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 15:08:51 pm »

That is as I see it, I think we will keep it tight, and get the odd goal or two. It will be very interesting to see hoe good our defending is against West Brom on Tuesday.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: