The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 08:45:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Radical Changes Proposed by EFL

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radical Changes Proposed by EFL  (Read 2917 times)
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« on: September 01, 2016, 11:27:40 am »

The EFL seem to be coming out with more and more crazy ideas, with absolutely no intention of supporter consultation.

The latest set of ideas is below. These were communicated to clubs recently, with clubs requested to provide feedback.

- A winter break
- Moving the 4th and fifth round of FA Cup to mid-week slots
- Starting Premier League season earlier
- Adding 12 teams to the leagues
- Where should Football League teams come from?
- Regionalsation of the bottom two divisions

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/football-league-restructure-plan-taken-to-clubs

This is why initiatives such as the B team boycott were crucial to send a message to the EFL that supporters must be engaged and listened to.

I'd like to know if our own trust has a view on these and is in dialogue with NTFC?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 11:29:42 am »

To be fair the first 3 items on that list will be down to the FA.
The other ideas have been mooted for a few years now.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Matthew Rush

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 12:08:59 pm »

Weren't all of these ideas publicised during the summer?
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 12:38:07 pm »

Weren't all of these ideas publicised during the summer?

Yes they were.....I seem to remember the "fifth division" idea, 5 divisions of 20 teams, tier 4 and 5 regionalised etc. Certainly midweek FA Cup, no replays and the like.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest2677

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 15:27:57 pm »

'where should football league teams come from'?
Report Spam   Logged
Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 17:45:51 pm »

Regionalisation great! No more long journeys to Notts, Mansfield, Chesterfield. Nice easy trips to Gillingham, Plymouth, Crawley, Newport! Its nonsense only remote clubs like Carlisle and Plymouth benefit but even then is it easier to go from Plymouth to Gillingham than Carlisle. Those of us in the middle could swap leagues from season to season. Haven't Corby and Brackley done that?
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 22:02:41 pm »

I'd like to know if our own trust has a view on these and is in dialogue with NTFC?
I believe there is going to be some dialogue between the Trust and the club yes.

In the meantime, before that happens, I have set up a quick survey on Survey Monkey regarding some of these proposals.

Any responses I'm sure will shape the Trust's views on these subjects.

Here is a link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/RRFZXNJ
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 23:45:03 pm »

I'm just going to reiterate some points I made a while ago on this very subject.

I find it staggering that the people who run the game think it is the Football League that is the root of the problem instead of the Premier League.

Not once in the last few years can I recall anyone suggesting that perhaps it is the Premier League that needs reforming instead.

Case in point - the TV deal for the Premier League. The TV deal for the next three years is worth £5.316 billion.

Let's say that just £1 billion of that figure was distributed out equally amongst the 72 football league clubs.

That would equate to each club getting £13.8 million, or £4.6 million for each of the three years. And it would still leave each of the 20 Premier League clubs raking in £72 million for every one of those three years with the remaining money.

Just consider what a huge impact that £4.6m million a year could have on the Cobblers. How difficult could it be to ring fence that TV money on the condition that it is either spent on facilities or youth?

Think how many clubs would have state-of-the-art training grounds and facilities for their players, or upgraded stadiums. Think how many youth academies could be set up, think how many training courses could be offered for young coaches to get their badges, support for football in the community and disabled schemes. These are all areas that are desperately underfunded.

How much of an impact would that have on improving our national game? And instead we're talking about B teams, regionalised divisions and scrapping midweek ties. It's honestly obscene.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 23:47:57 pm by FezNTFC » Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 05:11:06 am »

Regionalisation great! No more long journeys to Notts, Mansfield, Chesterfield. Nice easy trips to Gillingham, Plymouth, Crawley, Newport! Its nonsense only remote clubs like Carlisle and Plymouth benefit but even then is it easier to go from Plymouth to Gillingham than Carlisle. Those of us in the middle could swap leagues from season to season. Haven't Corby and Brackley done that?
Regionalisation in the UK is such a nonsense. As stated above where is the line drawn? Essentially how big do the authorities think the UK is? You can easily drive from one end of England to the other. We are a tiny island and England is a just a part of it.
Ask Dr feelgood if you want to know what a big country feels like.
thats only one small point in a categorically bad set of proposals.
What is so bad about football that it needs such an upheaval anyway? I'm sure most of us here would have said last season football can't get any better, what a sport, what an experience, what a team
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
Lanakings

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 05:48:16 am »

Can't see any problems with that
Report Spam   Logged
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 07:45:59 am »

I'm just going to reiterate some points I made a while ago on this very subject.

I find it staggering that the people who run the game think it is the Football League that is the root of the problem instead of the Premier League.

Not once in the last few years can I recall anyone suggesting that perhaps it is the Premier League that needs reforming instead.

Case in point - the TV deal for the Premier League. The TV deal for the next three years is worth £5.316 billion.

Let's say that just £1 billion of that figure was distributed out equally amongst the 72 football league clubs.

That would equate to each club getting £13.8 million, or £4.6 million for each of the three years. And it would still leave each of the 20 Premier League clubs raking in £72 million for every one of those three years with the remaining money.

Just consider what a huge impact that £4.6m million a year could have on the Cobblers. How difficult could it be to ring fence that TV money on the condition that it is either spent on facilities or youth?

Think how many clubs would have state-of-the-art training grounds and facilities for their players, or upgraded stadiums. Think how many youth academies could be set up, think how many training courses could be offered for young coaches to get their badges, support for football in the community and disabled schemes. These are all areas that are desperately underfunded.

How much of an impact would that have on improving our national game? And instead we're talking about B teams, regionalised divisions and scrapping midweek ties. It's honestly obscene.

This is bang on .....
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 08:12:56 am »

In the main I agree with Fez's comments. However, although he suggests that the, say, £1billion findings its way to the Football League could be ring-fenced for the purposes mentioned I would have great doubts. Clubs would become targets for the unscrupulous and a good portion of the funds would find their way to the buyer's pockets.  Also, let's not forget the disaster of ITV Digital and the transfer and salary inflation that quickly unfolded.  The underlying problem is that so many FL clubs are badly run (consider whereNTFC was a year ago) that to allow owners anywhere near such "free" monies would be unwise.
Report Spam   Logged
rebelspawn

View Profile
Search Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 09:02:59 am »

Good post Fez, pretty much my thoughts exactly.
Report Spam   Logged
andycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 11:38:59 am »

+1
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
Artlenock Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 11:46:32 am »

Well said Fez........in the end they will kill the soul of football. The day Cobblers play a B team in the league is the day I stop going.
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 11:48:18 am »

Fez - those comments are spot on. The Football League needs someone like you on board. Since becoming the "EFL" they've become one big joke.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
guest48

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 14:44:59 pm »

In the main I agree with Fez's comments. However, although he suggests that the, say, £1billion findings its way to the Football League could be ring-fenced for the purposes mentioned I would have great doubts. Clubs would become targets for the unscrupulous and a good portion of the funds would find their way to the buyer's pockets.  Also, let's not forget the disaster of ITV Digital and the transfer and salary inflation that quickly unfolded.  The underlying problem is that so many FL clubs are badly run (consider whereNTFC was a year ago) that to allow owners anywhere near such "free" monies would be unwise.
I think that the FA would have to be a bit more "aware" than NBC were. It would be quite easy for clubs to get work done ect and then pass the invoices onto the FA for payment.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 14:49:51 pm »

I think Fez's post should be copied and sent to as many clubs as possible, lets start a campaign !!
Report Spam   Logged
Tom

View Profile
Search Mobile User Apple User
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2016, 15:11:03 pm »

Prices of players skyrocket, wages would increase, they'll start buying in foreign players. I also suspect you'd just see a bunch if happy Chairmen pocketing some nice dividends, these are businesses after.

It's a nice thought, but very idealistic.
Report Spam   Logged

meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 15:17:35 pm »

I've written extensively on the need for reform of the Premier League, as have others. Good sentiment here but Scudamore and Co will laugh their heads off at giving that much to Football League Clubs.

Funds would be much better spent on the Premier League living up to its grassroots responsibilities. Give that money to FL clubs and most will end up in inflated transfer fees and agents pockets.

Here is a good list of football reforms suggested before the elections

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/mar/28/football-action-network-manifesto-this-game-is-our-game-general-election-premier-league
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 15:19:58 pm by meccanostand » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: