The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 10:11:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Best of Northampton

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best of Northampton  (Read 3592 times)
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« on: October 03, 2016, 20:58:21 pm »

Evening all, my lad turns 18 this year so I'll be bringing him over to celebrate. We are not sure of the time frame yet but probably Nov time (Bolton game).
I haven't been back since the Bradford disaster of 2013 so I was looking for some good places to take him around the town?

Few options so far I have is Althorpe House, Town Centre and the Guildhall.

How about some nice pubs with gardens, curry house, a good carvery, decent fish and chips or anything else? We'll be in Northampton for only 3 days unfortunately but will try and catch a Cobblers game

Thanks.

Feely
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ormen

51.879250 -9.5834510

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 21:57:00 pm »

Maybe your lad would like to watch the Rugby?
Report Spam   Logged

25  36 19  17  24  20

Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 12:18:17 pm »

How about Canons Ashby house? George Washingtons ancestral home. Yanks love all that sort of thing.
Some nice villages out that way as well.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 12:41:38 pm »

Sulgrave Manor you mean.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 11:00:20 am »

Could go to The Lighthouse on the Welly Rd for the Fish and Chips? Excellent beer selection sold there. Also a very good starting point for a potential bar crawl.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
SmithyNTFC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 16:42:46 pm »

I heard NBS nightclub is good  Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Ed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 17:04:00 pm »

Coke and hookers.
Report Spam   Logged
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 19:07:11 pm »

Well, the lad will be 18. All part of his education.
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 18:19:08 pm »

Thanks everyone for the tips and PM's sent. The flights are booked and we're heading over next week.

Hopefully catch a few of you at the Bolton Game.

Cheers

Feely

Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 19:40:52 pm »

Thanks everyone for the tips and PM's sent. The flights are booked and we're heading over next week.

Hopefully catch a few of you at the Bolton Game.

Cheers

Feely

I'm exiled as it were albeit only 40 miles away and often pass through teyn on way to/from work.
However for a family event last weekend I actually stayed in town at (brand new) Premier Inn near Derngate.
I must say it was fantastic and what struck me about the area around there was how good it looked.
 Bustled with people as there were events on at both the Royal and Derngate. Bar Hygge lends a bit of sophistication in Guildhall Road and the new paving leading up to the Guildhall itself is nicely done. Giles Street ain't half bad in the day and some good looking resturants st night, plus new Micropub about to open. The other way from there Phipps brew pub The Albion I really liked, decent band on, busy friendly crowd good beer too.
All in all Northampton gets a fair amount of (self) depreciation at times, but after some recent forays and one to come this Saturday it stands up pretty well I think.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 21:29:25 pm by pattcobb » Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
defender

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 07:15:31 am »

Take him to a COBBLERS HOME GAME, A GOOD EDUCATION AT HIS AGE!!
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 18:40:13 pm »

I'm exiled as it were albeit only 40 miles away and often pass through teyn on way to/from work.
However for a family event last weekend I actually stayed in town at (brand new) Premier Inn near Derngate.
I must say it was fantastic and what struck me about the area around there was how good it looked.
 Bustled with people as there were events on at both the Royal and Derngate. Bar Hygge lends a bit of sophistication in Guildhall Road and the new paving leading up to the Guildhall itself is nicely done. Giles Street ain't half bad in the day and some good looking resturants st night, plus new Micropub about to open. The other way from there Phipps brew pub The Albion I really liked, decent band on, busy friendly crowd good beer too.
All in all Northampton gets a fair amount of (self) depreciation at times, but after some recent forays and one to come this Saturday it stands up pretty well I think.
After walking from the station to the ground last week in Stoke, anybody that continues to slate the town could do with getting around the country a bit. Far worse places they could live.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 08:54:32 am »

After walking from the station to the ground last week in Stoke, anybody that continues to slate the town could do with getting around the country a bit. Far worse places they could live.

It's different when it's your own and you can remember how it used to be...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 12:14:37 pm »

I was going to start a new topic but I thought I'd post here.
My journey this morning on the X7 from Leicester...
First roadworks encountered at Holly Lodge Drive traffic down to one lane each direction gas works.
Second problem the millions spent on kcoC Hotel junction has made no difference.
Third the re-modelling of Kingsthorpe Hollow a junction where I have never seen a problem - remodel anyway! a ridiculous four way traffic light sequence
Literally bouncing along Barrack road we see the former Royal Mail being converted in to a school, another eyesore building site.
Passing the dreadful row of shops approaching Regent Square we turn left and cut through Northampton's embarrassment of a coach station (a few seats and a shelter in Victoria Street). Around the bomb site that was once a fully functioning bus station we finally pull in to The Drapery and get dropped off next to a pile of rubbish that wouldn't shame the summer of discontent outside the rancid pit that is The Auctioneers.
I used to be so proud of my home town!
Report Spam   Logged

guest3063

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 12:25:52 pm »

I was going to start a new topic but I thought I'd post here.
My journey this morning on the X7 from Leicester...
First roadworks encountered at Holly Lodge Drive traffic down to one lane each direction gas works.
Second problem the millions spent on kcoC Hotel junction has made no difference.
Third the re-modelling of Kingsthorpe Hollow a junction where I have never seen a problem - remodel anyway! a ridiculous four way traffic light sequence
Literally bouncing along Barrack road we see the former Royal Mail being converted in to a school, another eyesore building site.
Passing the dreadful row of shops approaching Regent Square we turn left and cut through Northampton's embarrassment of a coach station (a few seats and a shelter in Victoria Street). Around the bomb site that was once a fully functioning bus station we finally pull in to The Drapery and get dropped off next to a pile of rubbish that wouldn't shame the summer of discontent outside the rancid pit that is The Auctioneers.
I used to be so proud of my home town!

Don't forget all the foreign languages you hear walking down Abington Street. Hush my mouth  Lips Sealed
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 21:16:44 pm »

Don't forget all the foreign languages you hear walking down Abington Street. Hush my mouth  Lips Sealed
Obviously not sure of the tone of that reply.
I mentioned earlier in the thread that there are good things in Northampton - the three sports teams come to mind. But there just doesn't seem to be much civic pride, settling for second best or worst contines to be a trait as it has been throughout history
Report Spam   Logged

rachelshubby

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 17:32:47 pm »

Hearing foreign languages is such a bad thing.... Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 17:48:21 pm »

Hearing foreign languages is such a bad thing.... Undecided

Well yes actually it is. I thought this is England - certainly doesn't sound like it when you walk it certain areas in our great country.

If I want to learn a foreign language I'll go to evening school, thanks all the same.

Report Spam   Logged
rachelshubby

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 18:26:37 pm »

Well yes actually it is. I thought this is England - certainly doesn't sound like it when you walk it certain areas in our great country.

If I want to learn a foreign language I'll go to evening school, thanks all the same.

I thought that evening schools had standards....

It's a good thing that football teams don't have problems with foreign languages being spoken in the dressing room.

Relax, Brexit is coming soon.... Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 18:38:54 pm »

I thought that evening schools had standards....

It's a good thing that football teams don't have problems with foreign languages being spoken in the dressing room.

Relax, Brexit is coming soon.... Undecided

Are you a football supporter? Or have you just registered to make your political points?

Just wondered, because you haven't actually contributed to any other topics on this forum.

Anyhow, you're entitled to your opinion and likewise so am I.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: