The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 04:47:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

1st halves versus 2nd halves

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st halves versus 2nd halves  (Read 1872 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« on: November 26, 2016, 11:20:56 am »

1st half - won 10 drawn 5 lost 4
2nd half - won 5 drawn 3 lost 11

This is based completely on the game being played for just 45 minutes if that makes sense.

A lot of criticism has been made suggesting Page sets his teams up not to lose. I have said for some time that I have no issue with our starting line ups (other than Boro away), our first half performances have been consistently very good.

My issue is game management during the 2nd halves of games. For me, Rob Page is NOT a proactive manager. He consistently fails to make required changes before its too late. His use of his subs is extremely poor.

The reason why I worked these stats out was to prove my point. The differences between our first half showings to our 2nd half ones are astonishing. Especially when you factor in that many games of football tend to be rather dull during the first half before coming to life later on. Our team usually comes out of the blocks nice and quickly before going into its shell after half time!

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 11:23:26 am »

This backs up the stats on points gained (3) Vs points dropped (14) in the second half of games. Fitness or sitting back on first half leads?
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 11:26:02 am »

So NTFC win the 1st half, Opposition win the 2nd for any gambling fans out there
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Razor

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 11:26:43 am »

There certainly seems to be a mentality to 'hang on to what we've got' after the 60 minute mark - whether that be 3 points or 1 - and invariably we end up losing it. Our defense isn't anywhere near good enough to play in that manner.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 11:29:59 am »

This is based completely on the game being played for just 45 minutes if that makes sense.
A lot of criticism has been made suggesting Page sets his teams up not to lose. I have said for some time that I have no issue with our starting line ups (other than Boro away), our first half performances have been consistently very good.
My issue is game management during the 2nd halves of games. For me, Rob Page is NOT a proactive manager. He consistently fails to make required changes before its too late. His use of his subs is extremely poor.
The reason why I worked these stats out was to prove my point. The differences between our first half showings to our 2nd half ones are astonishing. Especially when you factor in that many games of football tend to be rather dull during the first half before coming to life later on. Our team usually comes out of the blocks nice and quickly before going into its shell after half time!

I agree with this, and to me it is clear this is where a lot of the negativity surrounding RP comes from.

He just doesn't seem to read where the game is heading and sometimes his subs are a little baffling. Maybe it's inexperience, who knows.

Let's just hope he learns to deal with this better, and quickly.
Report Spam   Logged
Turf Claret

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 13:35:21 pm »

There certainly seems to be a mentality to 'hang on to what we've got' after the 60 minute mark - whether that be 3 points or 1 - and invariably we end up losing it. Our defense isn't anywhere near good enough to play in that manner.

Very true, well put. All the more reason for the midfield and attack to take some of the pressure off a flagging and dispirited defence.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 12:54:45 pm »

Updated table.

1s halves. W11 D8 L5. Pts 41. Top end play off form.
2nd halves. W6 D5 L13. Pts 23. Relegation form.

We clearly all see the game differently, but the way I see it is simple.

1. Page sets the team up well. Our tactics going into games are excellent, he clearly knows what he is doing. I reckon out of the 24 games this season, I've only been peeved once or twice (Pboro away) when the teams been announced.
2. He is utterly clueless when it comes down to 'game management'. Clueless. And it drives me insane at games!

Yesterday, Rico was fcuked with 20minutes to go. Taylor was shot to bits, Anderson had done his usual disappearing act. So between the 70-75 mark it was crying out for 2 solid changes and a further one on the 80 minute mark to see out the game.

What does he do?

He brings on Hoskins for Anderson, AFTER wed totally retweeted. Net result, he'd carry the ball a few yards on the odd occasion he'd get the ball and then run into several Sheffield players. Any idiot would have worked that one out.

Then, on 87 minutes he brings on Beautyman. Wed put the bus in the garage by that point. So he adds an airy fairy creative player to the party. When we've got good defensive options on the bench.

Then, finally on 92 minutes he wastes 30 seconds of the last 90 seconds we had to equalise making a further change. When EVERY other manager with a brain cell would be doing that to 'waste time' hanging on to a positive scoreline.

I know we all see the game differently, I respect everyones opinions etc. But can one of his backers (Cobblers78?) just explain to me what the logic of his substitutions are? And why we should keep supporting a manager (by that I mean employing!) who fails time and time again to make proactive changes, net result we keep losing points we shouldn't be.

Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 13:13:53 pm »

Mirrors my thoughts exactly, first half yesterday we were solid, and broke really well causing them a few problems. The issue is we cannot play this way for a solid 90 minutes. The changes have to be made earlier if we are going to play the same way in the second half. To play on the break you have to have the legs to carry the ball forward effectively.
I don't understand why Page's substitutions are always so late in a game.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 13:15:13 pm »

Updated table.

1. Page sets the team up well. Our tactics going into games are excellent, he clearly knows what he is doing. I reckon out of the 24 games this season, I've only been peeved once or twice (Pboro away) when the teams been announced.
2. He is utterly clueless when it comes down to 'game management'. Clueless. And it drives me insane at games!

Yesterday, Rico was fcuked with 20minutes to go. Taylor was shot to bits, Anderson had done his usual disappearing act. So between the 70-75 mark it was crying out for 2 solid changes and a further one on the 80 minute mark to see out the game.

What does he do?

He brings on Hoskins for Anderson, AFTER wed totally retweeted. Net result, he'd carry the ball a few yards on the odd occasion he'd get the ball and then run into several Sheffield players. Any idiot would have worked that one out.

Then, on 87 minutes he brings on Beautyman. Wed put the bus in the garage by that point. So he adds an airy fairy creative player to the party. When we've got good defensive options on the bench.

Then, finally on 92 minutes he wastes 30 seconds of the last 90 seconds we had to equalise making a further change. When EVERY other manager with a brain cell would be doing that to 'waste time' hanging on to a positive scoreline.

I know we all see the game differently, I respect everyones opinions etc. But can one of his backers (Cobblers78?) just explain to me what the logic of his substitutions are? And why we should keep supporting a manager (by that I mean employing!) who fails time and time again to make proactive changes, net result we keep losing points we shouldn't be.

Nope, I agree. His changes 2nd half is an area he needs to improve.

If I was thinking of an argument (playing devils advocate here, as like I say, I agree with you) Its hard to gain extra points when you're already winning and due to our good starts we are already winning so there is only one way to go. But like I said, this is stretching the argument. His 2nd half changes and DO need improvement.
Report Spam   Logged
andycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 13:44:41 pm »

Mirrors my thoughts exactly, first half yesterday we were solid, and broke really well causing them a few problems. The issue is we cannot play this way for a solid 90 minutes. The changes have to be made earlier if we are going to play the same way in the second half. To play on the break you have to have the legs to carry the ball forward effectively.
I don't understand why Page's substitutions are always so late in a game.

Page's substitutions are so late and usually ineffective because IMO he doesn't have a plan B and as others have posted this is backed up by stats. This is something which could see us very shortly in a relegation battle. He's the most frustrating manager since atkins and hopefully KT will act sooner rather than later. Angry
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 14:00:02 pm »

I would refer you to my posts elsewhere Shane. Teams that play like this, do so through a lack of belief. Whether it is because the message is sent to you via negative substitutions or just the tactics given to you, it gets into your head and you get nervous. From what I have heard and what I see, they are worried that any adventure or a mistake will cost you your place....
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 15:33:07 pm »

So NTFC win the 1st half, Opposition win the 2nd for any gambling fans out there

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 15:46:52 pm »

Updated table.

What does he do?

Did Hoskins really come on for Anderson second half? I could have sworn he started the game. With Cobbker78 and Bri77 agreeing with Drilling I'm doubting myself.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 15:47:58 pm »

Did Hoskins really come on for Anderson second half? I could have sworn he started the game. With Cobbker78 and Bri77 agreeing with Drilling I'm doubting myself.

Potter for Anderson
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 16:03:50 pm »

I suppose it depends what your mindset is?!

Seems Pages is to hold on to what we've got. I cant remember him making substitutions to actually win a game.

He sets up to not get beaten or at least keep it tight. But when you get to 70-75 minutes what happens? Some teams would go for it, put on an extra attacker and go for the win. Page's Cobblers will rather sit and wait, maybe make a sub to shore things up and keep hold of the 0-0.......I think as seen on many occasions this season that plan is flawed.

Was thinking yesterday.....I can't remember a Wilder Cobblers team that set out "not to win".......yet I believe that Pages Cobblers teams have done just that for the past two games.

Thats why RP divides opinion.......yeah we're holding our own and will probably avoid relegation.....but I guess after last season it just seems that much more boring!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 16:07:33 pm »

Was thinking yesterday.....I can't remember a Wilder Cobblers team that set out "not to win".......yet I believe that Pages Cobblers teams have done just that for the past two games.

How many times did Wilder come up against League 1 opposition? If we were playing the same teams as last year, I could understand this sort of thinking, it baffles me that people can't see this.

Also, for a team setting up to defend, we score the first goal more often than we concede it. Go figure.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 17:28:24 pm »

How many times did Wilder come up against League 1 opposition? If we were playing the same teams as last year, I could understand this sort of thinking, it baffles me that people can't see this.

Also, for a team setting up to defend, we score the first goal more often than we concede it. Go figure.

Its not the point I was making is it? Its all about the mentality of the manager and team. Wilder would not set up to play for a draw, Page does....its really that simple!! Nothing to do with what players we have, who we are up against, what division we are in. Its just one manager is an attacking pressing manager who goes for the win, the other is a stifling, defensive manager who hopes to pick a goal off on the counter attack.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 17:40:33 pm »

No issues for me with that analysis. I am at a loss of who to bring on if the game warrants it; pretty sure yesterday Page would have done so in the last 10mins if he had effective subs. I suppose this is his failure to have adequate subs for L1. Suppose you could say Page's game management (or none!!) worked against Oxford.
One thing from yesterday which I failed to mention we simply did not pressurize SU high enough up the pitch; like we did last season!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 19:29:17 pm »

One thing from yesterday which I failed to mention we simply did not pressurize SU high enough up the pitch; like we did last season!
I think that one or two others may have mentioned it.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 17:22:19 pm »

After 25 games...

1s halves. W12 D8 L5. Pts 44. Top end play off form.
2nd halves. W6 D5 L14. Pts 23. Relegation form.

We go again. I fear that until KT does the inevitable and gets shot of this useless defensive minded parasite this will only get worse!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: