The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:29:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Relegation Watch

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 79   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 107653 times)
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #700 on: March 04, 2018, 11:40:55 am »

I think you banned the person who could have have answered that one

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest3063

« Reply #701 on: March 04, 2018, 12:10:08 pm »

Come on, we all know how football works. We could end up beating Rovers, Boro, Rotherham, Shrews & Charlton and losing to Bury, Walsall, Blackpool & Fleetwood. Lets take it game by game - still 11 to play. Other teams below us have to get results as well. Lots of ups and downs to come I'm sure.
Report Spam   Logged
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 04, 2018, 12:18:17 pm »

It's quite simple, we dismiss all doomsday talk, get behind the team big time and the Manager too. From the Chron report, the players or some of them did not appreciate the booing. Whether it was justified or not it doesn't help and hardly encourages them. Somebody said on here we need to get to away games in numbers. Let the players see and hear the strength of our support. We did it at Dagenham all 3000 of us so we can do it again.
Cobblers fans!! Please don't boo the management or the players as it may be construed as bullying and will make them cry!!!
Report Spam   Logged
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #703 on: March 04, 2018, 12:35:20 pm »

Given most think 14 points are needed in the remaining games it’s looking tough. Four of the sides we play at home are currently in the top seven going for automatic or play offs!! Home form is absolutely key in survival and judging by one point in the last three I’m not sure we’re getting out of this. Looking at the fixtures below
 I’m struggling to find 14 points, hope I’m wrong......so says  the Wise 6Fields Owl

My Initial Take is .......
Home
Rotherham  0pts
Charlton      3
Shrewsbury 1
Plymouth    0
Oldham      3      7 pts

Away
Blackpool        1
Bristol Rovers  0
Fleetwood       3
Peterborough  0
Bury              1
Walsall           1  6 its making 13 points .....Mmmm, can we improve on that Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 04, 2018, 12:48:31 pm »

It does look worrying especially with our home form being so poor but all we need do is out a winning run together starting at Bristol Rovers.  There is no side in this division that cannot be beaten.  Getting Van Vaan fit is going to be a key factor.
Report Spam   Logged
bringbackbroadhurst

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Windows User
« Reply #705 on: March 04, 2018, 13:04:41 pm »

As others pointed out, the good work of January was rather undone by the defeats to Rochdale and Gillingham and failing to beat Oxford.

I groaned at the Oldham result, but I don’t really think I expected them to go down. Looking at the fixtures, I think Fleetwood have as tough a run in as we do, so provided that the three below us don’t haul themselves out of it I still think we’ll survive.

A lot of teams had games in hand on us, and although some still have one, we haven’t really lost much ground in the table due to their results. If we make it to the end of this month outside the bottom four then I’ll be relatively happy. Think we’ll get results at Posh, Walsall and Bury.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #706 on: March 04, 2018, 13:23:03 pm »

Cobblers fans!! Please don't boo the management or the players as it may be construed as bullying and will make them cry!!!

You miss the point - are you suggesting that booing helps. Some of the players did not think so. To me the type of support seen at Bradford, Skunny etc is what is needed. Be very surprised if Coolie thinks your remarks are relevant. To me, they are simply poor taste.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 04, 2018, 13:51:34 pm »

Booing does not help but against Oxford it was was on 2 counts. First, the controversial substitution at about the 70th minute and, second, at the final whistle when many in the crowd were letting our management know what they thought about the tactics of dropping deep and inviting Oxford to win the match which but for a glaring missed header would have happened. I don't thin the booing was directed at the players.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #708 on: March 04, 2018, 14:15:56 pm »

Booing does not help but against Oxford it was was on 2 counts. First, the controversial substitution at about the 70th minute and, second, at the final whistle when many in the crowd were letting our management know what they thought about the tactics of dropping deep and inviting Oxford to win the match which but for a glaring missed header would have happened. I don't thin the booing was directed at the players.

Have I missed something again???

Are these people not professional sportsmen???

Get a ruddy grip Nevers.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 04, 2018, 14:37:23 pm »

Booing does not help but against Oxford it was was on 2 counts. First, the controversial substitution at about the 70th minute and, second, at the final whistle when many in the crowd were letting our management know what they thought about the tactics of dropping deep and inviting Oxford to win the match which but for a glaring missed header would have happened. I don't think the booing was directed at the players.

Booing the substitution of presumably Aribiyi who after a good first half didn't do enough second half(imo). Perhaps this was due to his perceived injury. The point is he brought on Berto almost a like for like and it nearly paid off. If you think JFH tactics was to drop deeper and deeper, it wasn't. It was the teams' subconscious reaction to JJOT's and Longs poor form, Grimes habitual habit to drop deeper, Aribiyi fading from the game and one or others too who meekly followed. I can still see JFH urging his players on late second half. Whether the booing was directed at the players or not is irrelevant as they did not appreciate it. So an own goal by some 'supposed' supporters. Taylor the Captain has a part to play in this particular situation.He should have shown greater responsibility by shouting encouragement, cajoling the players it's what a captain should do. Also, I don't like being outsung by OU says a lot about our lot.
Report Spam   Logged

Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 04, 2018, 14:45:50 pm »

Not how I saw it at all in the final 20 minutes. I didn't boo because I never do but I could understand the reaction.  How Hoskins stayed on the pitch rather defeated me other than he provided a degree of cover for the defence but that says it all. We were defending a point not going for the winner.  Hoskins is meant to be a forward and score goals. Sadly, a rare event and one of the reasons we are where we are.
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #711 on: March 04, 2018, 14:47:21 pm »

I cannot agree with that.
 JFH likes to play his central midfielders very deep. I think his logic is that they then have space and time to dictate the game. It allows the opposition to dominate the midfield. If we cannot get the ball we cannot play.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 04, 2018, 16:03:56 pm »

I cannot agree with that.
 JFH likes to play his central midfielders very deep. I think his logic is that they then have space and time to dictate the game. It allows the opposition to dominate the midfield. If we cannot get the ball we cannot play.

Sure, you may be right but where your theory gets a bit leaky is how do you explain the first half performance? 

Report Spam   Logged

guest143

« Reply #713 on: March 04, 2018, 16:24:03 pm »

I think Hasslebank plays far too conservatively for the midfield we have. I'd like to see how we'd fair with an attacking 433. Maybe Crooks, O'Toole, Grimes and  Ariyibi, Long, Pereira.
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #714 on: March 04, 2018, 16:30:58 pm »

The previous batch of 11 games yielded 15 points as did the 11 before, so should we match these in the final 11 we would end up on 53 points which is safety.
If we have a poor start to this final run of games we could be left with a mountain to climb by the time we turn up at london rd.  8 points minimum  from next 6 games.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #715 on: March 04, 2018, 16:46:58 pm »

The previous batch of 11 games yielded 15 points as did the 11 before, so should we match these in the final 11 we would end up on 53 points which is safety.

This. Our survival is very much in our hands and the players are of sufficient quality to stay in this division.

The problem all season has been finding a successful formation/formula. 4-4-1-1 with JJOT behind the striker has probably been our most successful formation away from home, but it hasn't always been effective at Sixfields where teams sit back a bit more.

The lack of consensus on here, with posters suggesting everything from 433 to 3-5-2 to 4-2-3-1 gives you an idea of the dilemma that JFH has been facing.

IMO the priority when you've shipped as many goals as we have is still to avoid conceding. That doesn't mean playing defensively, but it does mean that we shouldn't be leaving ourselves too open. For this reason I would keep Pererira as a supersub, Personally, I've been persuaded by those arguing for 3-5-2 as I think we finally have the personnel to make it work.

ROD

Facey                   Taylor      Poole (ball-playing CB) Taylor       Bunney

Crooks                 Grimes
                                                         O'Toole

Van Veen        Long

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 04, 2018, 17:14:32 pm »

This. Our survival is very much in our hands and the players are of sufficient quality to stay in this division. -

IMO the priority, when you've shipped as many goals as we have, is still to avoid conceding. That doesn't mean playing defensively, but it does mean that we shouldn't be leaving ourselves too open. For this reason I would keep Pererira as a supersub, Personally, I've been persuaded by those arguing for 3-5-2 as I think we finally have the personnel to make it work.

ROD

Facey                   Taylor      Poole (ball-playing CB) Taylor       Bunney

Crooks                 Grimes
                                                         O'Toole

Van Veen        Long

If only - whether JFH will change his tactics for that formation is another matter. Don't forget our goals against is partly due to the poor goals for.
Report Spam   Logged

guest2487

« Reply #717 on: March 04, 2018, 17:38:05 pm »

Don't give a f*** who we are playing. Just go out up for it every game and in their faces. Get 5 wins any old way.

Football rarely works out as you'd expect, especially at the business end of the season.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #718 on: March 04, 2018, 18:46:30 pm »

Don't forget our goals against is partly due to the poor goals for.

We've conceded 56 goals which along with Fleetwood is the joint second most in the division (behind Oldham with 58). On the other hand, we've scored 34 which is the joint fourth-lowest (we've outscored Rochdale, Bury and MK).

Clearly then we've had a problem at both ends, but I'd say the defensive side has been the biggest concern. Gillingham in 12th have only scored 5 more than us, but their vastly superior defensive record has saved them.

I think (hope) that if we can tighten up defensively we will nick enough goals through the likes of JJOT, Long, Van Veen, Taylor (from set pieces) etc to get results.

Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #719 on: March 04, 2018, 19:12:31 pm »

Sure, you may be right but where your theory gets a bit leaky is how do you explain the first half performance? 

It was fine until half time when Oxford put the extra man in midfield. That's all sides have to do to dominate us.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 79   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: