The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 10:24:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Owls Tuesday (H).

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Owls Tuesday (H).  (Read 17711 times)
guest2677

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2017, 23:17:56 pm »

I do sit/stand, back row North stand, towards the East side. In no particular order…

1. First 5 minutes, we had a free shot from about 12/15 yards, straight at the keeper. Cant remember who cut it back/couldn't tell who had the clear site of goal.
2. Keshi Anderson was fed clean through, miscontrolled it and the ball ran through to the keeper.
3. The chance you mention. Totally unmarked.
4. Taylor/Keshi combination fumbled the ball across goal from the right, someone tapped it straight to the keeper from what looked like, around 3 or 4 yards out.
5. There was a big scramble that somehow didn't find its way into the net (from a corner)

There was a couple of other great chances but I cannot recall them properly to describe them but I counted 7 decent chances, 4 or 5 clear cut by half time.
I Then I applaud your conviction and certainty from a long way away. I'm afraid from the same distance and with reasonable eyesight I couldn't be so sure.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2017, 23:19:54 pm »

P Anderson has a fair few assists and even goals in his armoury. His biggest problem is/was he goes missing. He's another one of our coveted selection of luxury players.  But with 30 minutes left, losing and having run out of ideas, I reckon he could have had a positive influence. Wilde was seeing a lot of the ball, an awful lot of it. So by sticking with the same system and swapping players, logic should have seen Anderson see a fair amount of it to. Whether he would have made the difference, who knows. But he may have done. And Id argue that w'ed have had more chance of changing the course of the game with him coming on than with McCourt coming on instead, which left us with no width. We got worse as the game wore on, the changes for me looked stupid ones and whatever peoples opinions are on them there can be no denying they didn't work. JJ's goal was our only chance in the last 30 minutes and that was as scabby as they come, we'd created about 10 in the first hour.

What people are missing is McCourt came on so JJOT could push further forward and Taylor to an out and out left winger, it was a 4-2-4 formation from then until we scored.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2017, 23:23:40 pm »

Exactly, the fact we are creating chances gives me plenty to be positive about. We are poor defensively (2nd worst in the league)
Next game Diamond, McCourt and Rico in for Nyatanga, Taylor and Smith

I wouldn't be starting with Keshi Anderson again, anytime soon. There were a number of players tonight who played crap, but I can handle that if they put the effort in and show real desire. KA jibbed 3 challenges that I counted and was pitiful in every aspect. On the contrary, Smith showed real effort, won most of his challenges and was a real nuisance. I wanted to see him finish the game alongside Rico, but alas…

As for goals. Keshi scored 3 goals against Coventry against 10 men. He had an excellent 2nd half in that game. But in every other game, he's been pretty non effective and a lot less of a threat than Smith. He fluffed the 1 on 1 tonight, pretty much in the same manner as the 1 he had against MK.

I like Smith. I can see why he's split the Pompey faithful in their views on him, he's doing the same here! But I think he's got goals in him, a lot of goals. Id like to see him stay beyond this season, regardless on whether we stay up or not. He got 18 goals at this level in a season 2 or 3 years ago. But he's clearly a confidence player. But whilst he's clearly lacking in that regard, he's still putting a dam good shift in, something his strike partner of this evening isn't.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2017, 23:26:25 pm »

Only in last 2 games, we are one of the highest scoring teams in the league.

What I meant was that had we gone 1 or 2-0 up at Fleetwood, 1 or 2-0 up tonight they'd have been totally different games. I'd be ore concerned if we weren't creating the chances in the first place......
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2017, 23:30:10 pm »

What I meant was that had we gone 1 or 2-0 up at Fleetwood, 1 or 2-0 up tonight they'd have been totally different games. I'd be ore concerned if we weren't creating the chances in the first place......

Agree, that was the point I was making.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2017, 23:31:47 pm »

What people are missing is McCourt came on so JJOT could push further forward and Taylor to an out and out left winger, it was a 4-2-4 formation from then until we scored.

Its the 'behind the goal' thing mate! 

I did notice that Taylor had been pushed out to the left wing MORE but he seemed to be playing there in the first half in (I think) a 4-4-2 so I couldn't really see any significant change. The 4-2-4 was probably why we lost the midfield completely though, that makes sense. God knows who the right winger was though!  Grin

I think, regardless on where you/I/anyone sat tonight, it was pretty dam hard to fathom out what sysyem/systems we were playing because whilst we created loads of chances in the first 50 minutes, we were still (somehow) very disjointed and most of the chances came from players just running with the ball in tricky conditions with defenders struggling to run backwards. Both teams struggled against direct play this evening.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 23:34:18 pm by DrillingCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2017, 23:32:43 pm »

The only positive thing about that tonight was it was slightly better than under Page.
K Anderson is garbage, Buchs tonight was dreadful as well, the defence didn't let us down letting in the obligatory two goals per game.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2017, 23:33:42 pm »

I wouldn't be starting with Keshi Anderson again, anytime soon. There were a number of players tonight who played crap, but I can handle that if they put the effort in and show real desire. KA jibbed 3 challenges that I counted and was pitiful in every aspect. On the contrary, Smith showed real effort, won most of his challenges and was a real nuisance. I wanted to see him finish the game alongside Rico, but alas…

As for goals. Keshi scored 3 goals against Coventry against 10 men. He had an excellent 2nd half in that game. But in every other game, he's been pretty non effective and a lot less of a threat than Smith. He fluffed the 1 on 1 tonight, pretty much in the same manner as the 1 he had against MK.

I like Smith. I can see why he's split the Pompey faithful in their views on him, he's doing the same here! But I think he's got goals in him, a lot of goals. Id like to see him stay beyond this season, regardless on whether we stay up or not. He got 18 goals at this level in a season 2 or 3 years ago. But he's clearly a confidence player. But whilst he's clearly lacking in that regard, he's still putting a dam good shift in, something his strike partner of this evening isn't.

Agree with the Anderson assessment.....totally lost, just as on Saturday, ineffective!

Smith.....hmmmm, I definitely one of those in the NO camp at the moment....yes he puts himself about, but his first touch looks poor and he's had quite a few chances now but is still on 0 goals. That said, should we expect anything from Division 3 strikers? Revell has had a lot of games this season where he couldn't be faulted for effort yet his end product was zero.

Would you start Smith over Revell and Richards? Is Smith an improvement on last seasons loanees Marquis and Collins?

Perhaps what Smith is missing, in the same way Revell was missing earlier in the season, is the little man playing off him, picking up the knockdowns.....Keshi is not that type of player.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Razor

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2017, 23:41:28 pm »

That was a horrible waste of £24. Don't think I'll bother on Saturday after that no show.
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler150

« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2017, 23:52:07 pm »

Think we are just as crap now as under page.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2017, 23:53:16 pm »

fcuking joke. Lazy useless tw@ts
Report Spam   Logged
#Frank

I hope you're adaptable.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2017, 00:01:34 am »

fcuking joke. Lazy useless tw@ts

Sitting on the fence again?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2017, 00:10:04 am »

Agree with the Anderson assessment.....totally lost, just as on Saturday, ineffective!

Smith.....hmmmm, I definitely one of those in the NO camp at the moment....yes he puts himself about, but his first touch looks poor and he's had quite a few chances now but is still on 0 goals. That said, should we expect anything from Division 3 strikers? Revell has had a lot of games this season where he couldn't be faulted for effort yet his end product was zero.

Would you start Smith over Revell and Richards? Is Smith an improvement on last seasons loanees Marquis and Collins?

Perhaps what Smith is missing, in the same way Revell was missing earlier in the season, is the little man playing off him, picking up the knockdowns.....Keshi is not that type of player.
In hindsight , it does make you appreciate what Marquis gave us last season.
He had aggression and could score a goal , even though he missed a few .
Probably our biggest mistake not signing him , bearing in mind Adams and Holmes were going to leave anyway .
Smith is a poor mans Marquis and Revell , although his touch is okay .
A div 2 player in reality
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2017, 05:47:12 am »

For me, Smith flatters to deceive. He puts a shift in and takes up good positions but I just don't think he has the ability to go with it.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
BrixworthCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2017, 07:31:38 am »

I've never understood this Smith hype, if he's not rattling one wide he's getting caught offside.

A team in the league below us were happy to let him go out on loan, not a good enough signing.

I'm afraid 'working hard' isn't enough, if there is no ability to go with it what is the point.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2017, 07:41:54 am »

The only positive thing about that tonight was it was slightly better than under Page.
K Anderson is garbage, Buchs tonight was dreadful as well, the defence didn't let us down letting in the obligatory two goals per game.

An improvement on your nearly 2.5 goals per game though, surely?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
BrixworthCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2017, 07:44:19 am »

Really poor performance but was impressed with Oldham.

Huge game Saturday and with teams below us playing each other it could be interesting. Those last three games of the season I think will be huge and can't see our fate being decided before then - we are not getting any further away from trouble despite the mini run of home wins and a couple of away draws. Not looking good.
Report Spam   Logged
Artlenock Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2017, 07:47:50 am »

I was a bit miffed on missing out on Shrove Tuesday celebrations but I needn't have worried.

What I saw last night were 11 tossers that were one big flop. Things really turned sour when that lemon refused Cobblers a nailed on penalty. The atmosphere was as flat as a pancake and to think some people scoffed at the idea of us losing this match. Flippin awful.
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2017, 07:50:05 am »

Great thread, really enjoyed reading it.

This is not a defence of Taylor but I'd like to know if there is a site available where you can check distances covered and runs made over the 90 minutes so I could compare Taylor (34?)to Boateng(20). That was a one out all out display by the Crystal Palace contingent last night, they were next to useless with Anderson winning the gold. How is he a first choice striker? I don't think Kenji had a game that bad.  Tongue
Somebody mentioned how they thought Richards may have scored our goal, I watched the last ten minutes or so from the West lower, north end. It was definitely an O'Toole scorcher from six inches. How anyone can watch the game from there is beyond me, you just can't get a decent perspective of the action. Good banter from the old boys sat there though.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2017, 08:13:06 am »

I'm still finding it hard to understand how we had an international centre back as manager and now an ex top flight left back and we're still showing no signs of any defensive improvement
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: