The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:37:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Owls Tuesday (H).

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Owls Tuesday (H).  (Read 17719 times)
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2017, 08:18:14 am »

I'll go player-by-player and then offer some thoughts...

Smith - 7/10, excellent save at 1-0 and generally solid.
Eardly - 5/10, decent first half, but part of the most brittle defence in living memory.
Zakuani - 5/10, battled OK and did the "head it, kick it" ugly stuff well but as above. Brittle.
Nyatanga - 4/10, inability to concentrate makes him a liability.
Buchanan - 5/10, showed reasonable endeavour but the winner was down his side, again. Left way too exposed by whoever was supposed to be playing left mid, again.
O'Toole - 6/10, most influential midfielder. Popped up with a deserved goal. Lackluster with his passing.
M Taylor - 3/10, game passed him by. Should've been hooked at half time. Lucky not to be given a red card.
Boateng - 5/10, strong and physical. Went missing for long periods. Appeared to be playing right wing for some of the game, bizarrely.
Wylde - 4/10, didn't do anything to suggest he's anything more than a L2 player in L1.
M Smith - 5/10, worked hard & won lots of flick-ons & knock downs. Doesn't look like he knows how to score. Another L2 player in L1.
K Anderson - 4/10, went missing for long spells and fluffed a 1 on 1.

Subs:
Richards - not sure he touched the ball other than for the goal?
McCourt - ran around a lot and made a few tackles.
Beautyman - lived up to his "Invisibleman" nickname.

Justin Edinburgh - 5/10, appeared to ditch the reasonably stable diamond for a flat 4-4-2 first half, resulting in Oldham running through us at will. Seemed lost with how to deal with it, ended up with O'Toole being the only midfielder who ended the half in the same position as they started it. Deserves credit for making proactive changes with time to spare last night. 16 goals conceded in 8 games shows where he's failing.

Overall - Oldham were deserved winners. Yes, we should've scored 2-3 goals in the first half but Oldham always looked threatening and by far the sharper team. In fact I'd go so far as to say Oldham were more willing to do the ugly stuff and throw themselves in front of blocks to get the job done. In the wider picture of the relegation scrap, I'm not confident that we've got enough nous about us to graft out 3-4 wins and see this through.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:28:59 am by clarkeysntfc » Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2017, 08:32:41 am »

Eardly - 5/10, decent first half, but part of the most brittle defence in living memory.
Zakuani - 5/10, battled OK and did the "head it, kick it" ugly stuff well but as above. Brittle.
Buchanan - 5/10, showed reasonable endeavour but the winner was down his side, again. Left way too exposed by whoever was supposed to be playing left mid, again.
O'Toole - 6/10, most influential midfielder. Popped up with a deserved goal. Lackluster with his passing.
M Taylor - 3/10, game passed him by. Should've been hooked at half time. Lucky not to be given a red card.
Boateng - 5/10, strong and physical. Went missing for long periods. Appeared to be playing right wing for some of the game, bizarrely.
Wylde - 4/10, didn't do anything to suggest he's anything more than a L2 player in L1.
M Smith - 5/10, worked hard & won lots of flick-ons & knock downs. Doesn't look like he knows how to score. Another L2 player in L1.

Subs:

Justin Edinburgh - 5/10, appeared to ditch the reasonably stable diamond for a flat 4-4-2 first half, resulting in Oldham running through us at will. Seemed lost with how to deal with it, ended up with O'Toole being the only midfielder who ended the half in the same position as they started it. Deserves credit for making proactive changes with time to spare last night. 16 goals conceded in 8 games shows where he's failing.

Overall - Oldham were deserved winners. Yes, we should've scored 2-3 goals in the first half but Oldham always looked threatening and by far the sharper team. In fact I'd go so far as to say Oldham were more willing to do the ugly stuff and throw themselves in front of blocks to get the job done. In the wider picture of the relegation scrap, I'm not confident that we've got enough nous about us to graft out 3-4 wins and see this through.

Good post mate - I think you rated Adam smith a bit too high (his kicking is abysmal and puts us under pressure) but other than that I can't really disagree with your views. I just noticed that boateng was named man of the match - just as well they didn't announce that over the PA system or there would have been a riot!
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2017, 08:53:10 am »

Subs:

A fair assessment, Clarkey. As for relegation, I honestly wasn't worried, even going into last nights game, because I felt we'd showed enough under JE to drag ourselves higher up the table. There is more than enough quality in that squad to keep us in League 1. However, too many players went missing again last night, and that'll be what it comes down to in the end. We better hope that was just a blip, because if the always touted 'new gaffer enthusiasm' has begun to wane, then we'll be right in it.
Personally, I still believe we'll be alright. I just hope that, come the final few weeks of this season, we are well clear of the danger zone. Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2017, 08:58:51 am »

Subs:

Bang on the button. The 5/10 for JE seems generous, his line up looked clueless and he didn't warm any subs up before the 60th minute. 3/10 for me.  Oldham hardly ever passed the ball off the ground and that was a big difference.  
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2017, 09:07:08 am »

We are leaking goals by the bucket load and defensively, something has got to give. My opinion is that we are leaderless at the back. Our two only 'defensive warriors' are Zakuani (main one) and Diamond (to a lesser extent). Nyatanga 'always plays alright' but is error prone. Thats pretty much how I see it. Im amazed that anyone would choose Nyatanga out of what we've got available, by all accounts (didn't go) Diamond played well on Saturday yet is seen as the more likely source of vulnerability. I just don't get it!

On 59 goals we are clearly the worst defence in the division.... 3 goals clear I believe
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 01, 2017, 09:28:22 am »

Agree pretty well with the players' points above. Woeful all over the pitch.  I thought Anderson was gutless, the number of half hearted attempts to win the ball I lost count of and he was partly responsible for Oldham's winner for that very same reason. Smith is in the side to score goals and is not doing that.  His miss last night was awful.  He was not alone - Anderson, JJOT at least a couple missed when scoring was easier.  Taylor had a poor night but he was still the only player who put a telling ball into the opposition's penalty area but time after time our forwards were in the wrong position.  I lost count of the number of times Buchanan was in a good position to deliver a telling cross and failed.

What worries me is whether this team has the mental strength to stop the downwards slide.  Looking at them last night I don't think so.  We are stuck with the players we have and the honeymoon with JE is over.  Games are beginning to run out but the next 3 have to be critical.  Our fate is likely to go down to the final few games.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #226 on: March 01, 2017, 09:28:47 am »

On 59 goals we are clearly the worst defence in the division.... 3 goals clear I believe

Bury have conceded 62......we are 2nd leakiest!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 01, 2017, 09:30:21 am »

What worries me is whether this team has the mental strength to stop the downwards slide.  Looking at them last night I don't think so. 

Exactly.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #228 on: March 01, 2017, 09:35:00 am »

One of the things that incensed me so much last night was in the first half when defending a set piece. Our defence was full of experienced players who have all played in higher divisions than League One. But not a single one of them was talking or giving any instructions. We chronically lacked leaders yesterday and this is a big concern.

I wasn't worried by Relegation at all prior to last night, but the way the performance levels completely dropped after going a goal down had worrying similarities to what happened on Saturday at Fleetwood. I read a stat that we have gone behind 18 times (19 now) this season and managed to get a grand total of 2 points in those games. That is a relegation statistic. If we go behind, we've lost. Oldham was a must not lose game and we managed to do it.

If we go down after last season, it will be a tragedy.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
guest2995

« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2017, 10:57:05 am »

Subs:

I would suggest you watch the game and mark on performance rather than have pre conceived ideas on players if you are going to mark them.
Everyone's favourite player to knock , Nyatanga played well and won most challenges - so why a 4 ?
Smiths kicking was appalling , so why mark him up ?
On the other hand , everyone's favourite JJOT was terrible . He was slow , gave the ball away and passed backwards most of the time . He was a 4 .
By the way , the crowd were a 1 / 10 - rubbish atmosphere and pursing all game by 150 Oldham.
P1ss poor all round
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 01, 2017, 11:05:34 am »

I would suggest you watch the game and mark on performance rather than have pre conceived ideas on players if you are going to mark them.
Everyone's favourite player to knock , Nyatanga played well and won most challenges - so why a 4 ?
Smiths kicking was appalling , so why mark him up ?
On the other hand , everyone's favourite JJOT was terrible . He was slow , gave the ball away and passed backwards most of the time . He was a 4 .
By the way , the crowd were a 1 / 10 - rubbish atmosphere and pursing all game by 150 Oldham.
P1ss poor all round

Nyatanga may have played well in general play but again, he failed to concentrate, anticipate and then deal with a basic cross across the 6 yard line which led to the opening goal.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 01, 2017, 11:06:34 am »

Video nasty is up.
Clear push on the Oldham player in the build up to our equaliser which I hadn't noticed!
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #232 on: March 01, 2017, 11:21:12 am »

Nyatanga may have played well in general play but again, he failed to concentrate, anticipate and then deal with a basic cross across the 6 yard line which led to the opening goal.

To add to this, they almost scored early doors when he got caught out d1cking around with the ball just outside of the penalty area, prior to moaning at the ref that he'd been fouled. Whether he was fouled or not he shouldn't be pushed off of the ball that easily. He's a liability.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2235

« Reply #233 on: March 01, 2017, 11:40:28 am »

Video nasty is up.
Clear push on the Oldham player in the build up to our equaliser which I hadn't noticed!
Yeah no, apart from one shot on target, his push was the only thing Keshi did well all evening.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2017, 14:53:50 pm »

Video nasty is up.

The first goal looks even worse than I remember. Nyatanga should have anticipated someone coming in on his right and should have also easily cleared the ball in, but he just lets it run in front of him. Boateng also making little effort to get back, seems like he could have covered the left back area if he had been concentrating, but was simply sleeping.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2017, 15:00:00 pm »

I would imagine that diamond and McCourt are certainties to come in on Saturday - it's just depressing that it seems like we are constantly rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2017, 16:13:24 pm »

I thought it was an poor game in atrocious conditions. In the good old days the pitch would have been a mudbath but although it looked ok last night there was so much standing water it was impossible to play anything approaching decent football. Smith’s shanked clearance when he slipped at the death summed it up for me.
I wonder how people would have judged the performances if we had the draw that seemed so likely with a few minutes to go.
Report Spam   Logged
boblarkin

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2017, 16:20:52 pm »

I would have judged it the same.

A draw would have been unjust, Oldham deserved to win.

I don't know what the stats say - maybe we had as many chances as they did but we seemed to have much less possession. More importantly Oldham passed and moved in a meaningful way, they kept possession and used it.

I am not sure how to describe what we did but it wasn't much good.
Report Spam   Logged
Martin

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2017, 16:44:02 pm »

OLdham definitely deserved the win, Would agree with the ratings. A totally gutless pereformance from both team and manager who should have made decisive changes much earler, This defeat could be crucial come the end of the season.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2017, 17:33:55 pm »

What stands out for me is the general level of fitness that runs through the team, they compete and press the ball fo 50-60mins then just completely collapse.
Look at the effort some of them make to get back its pitiful at least Taylor tries but his legs have gone.
As for the Palace loan players I've seen more effort at a park game.
Too many loans, p1ss poor quality in general and a serious lack of fitness.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: