The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 19:23:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Starting 11

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting 11  (Read 2063 times)
Blackadder

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: March 25, 2017, 20:15:29 pm »

So after hearing the radio talking about how with a few additions we're close to being a decent team it got me thinking....

How many of today's starting 11 are actually under contract next year? Few additions maybe but could we see 11 different players in the starting line-up come August?

Apologies if there are many similar posts out there I couldn't find one.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kingsthorpe Cobbler

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 20:30:48 pm »

So after hearing the radio talking about how with a few additions we're close to being a decent team it got me thinking....

How many of today's starting 11 are actually under contract next year? Few additions maybe but could we see 11 different players in the starting line-up come August?

Under contract from todays lineup;

Phillips, Buchanan, McCourt + Cornell, Moloney, Beautyman, McWilliams & McDonald of the subs.

Add to that an option on Zakuani + Revell, Hoskins & Hanley who were injured or didn't make the squad.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 20:39:48 pm »

Paying money for and giving beautyman a 2 year deal should have been enough for page to get the sack - surely he'll be put on the list/paid off in the summer as he's clearly miles away from being a starter.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 20:40:26 pm »

A lot of additions needed next year then in that case!!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 20:47:33 pm »

It's all very well radio Northampton banging on that we're not far off being a good team but we have zero pace anywhere in the team and nowhere near enough quality in midfield especially if we're going to continue with the diamond. We need to secure Adam smith and jjot for sure and put them with buchs, Maloney, diamond, Zak, Phillips, and a fully fit revell and Hoskins and we have got the nucleus of a half decent squad - decisions will need to be made on Rico and Matty Taylor and then it's all down to our budget and JED's contacts for the rest.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 20:52:11 pm »

I wouldnt hold out too much hope on being a few signings away from a good team, JEd  will need to bring in at least 11 players to replace Pages crap signings plus JJOT and Smith etc who will be gone in the summer.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Kingsthorpe Cobbler

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 20:54:15 pm »

It's all very well radio Northampton banging on that we're not far off being a good team but we have zero pace anywhere in the team and nowhere near enough quality in midfield especially if we're going to continue with the diamond. We need to secure Adam smith and jjot for sure and put them with buchs, Maloney, diamond, Zak, Phillips, and a fully fit revell and Hoskins and we have got the nucleus of a half decent squad - decisions will need to be made on Rico and Matty Taylor and then it's all down to our budget and JED's contacts for the rest.

Diamond needs securing as well, because he's out of contract. Also, no one is quite sure what triggers the option on Zakuani's extra year (number of games played etc).
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 21:02:45 pm »

Diamond needs securing as well, because he's out of contract. Also, no one is quite sure what triggers the option on Zakuani's extra year (number of games played etc).

Agreed - I didn't realise diamond was out of contract, it's massively important that he is secured as he is an unsung hero of this squad.
Report Spam   Logged
Starmer87

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 21:38:02 pm »

Agreed - I didn't realise diamond was out of contract, it's massively important that he is secured as he is an unsung hero of this squad.
agree totally with that, diamond is my player of season
Report Spam   Logged
Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 07:39:38 am »

Keep or get under contract, Smith.A, Phillips, Diamond, Zakauni, Buchanan, JJOT, Hoskins, Revell, Moloney, Anderson P and Cornell
Try and sign Williams, Smith M, Nyatanga and Wylde. Promote youngsters McWilliams, Warburton and Iaciofano.
Taylor, Richards are limited in what they can offer and perhaps now is the time to release them.
McCourt, Beautyman and Hanley can be released.

That should give room and money available for 4 quality recruits, defensive midfield, attacking midfield, a wide player and a striker. Get the right players and should have a squad capable of top half finish so long as supplemented by quality loanees if injuries kick in.
Report Spam   Logged
Kingsthorpe Cobbler

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 07:47:47 am »

Keep or get under contract, Smith.A, Phillips, Diamond, Zakauni, Buchanan, JJOT, Hoskins, Revell, Moloney, Anderson P and Cornell
Try and sign Williams, Smith M, Nyatanga and Wylde. Promote youngsters McWilliams, Warburton and Iaciofano.
Taylor, Richards are limited in what they can offer and perhaps now is the time to release them.
McCourt, Beautyman and Hanley can be released.

That should give room and money available for 4 quality recruits, defensive midfield, attacking midfield, a wide player and a striker. Get the right players and should have a squad capable of top half finish so long as supplemented by quality loanees if injuries kick in.

McWilliams has already been promoted (1st year of a 2 year contract). Warburton? I think he was released by CW. Also, you wish to sign Wylde, on what evidence?
Report Spam   Logged
Blackadder

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 08:40:44 am »

Under contract from todays lineup;

Phillips, Buchanan, McCourt + Cornell, Moloney, Beautyman, McWilliams & McDonald of the subs.

Add to that an option on Zakuani + Revell, Hoskins & Hanley who were injured or didn't make the squad.

I think we'll all be surprised if Phillips or McCourt started the first game of next season so our few additions could be 10 different players.

I appreciate the radio guys talked **** at times but it was as if they didn't realise a few additions wasn't really an option.
Report Spam   Logged
Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 11:28:12 am »

McWilliams has already been promoted (1st year of a 2 year contract). Warburton? I think he was released by CW. Also, you wish to sign Wylde, on what evidence?

I didn't release Sam Warburton had already been released. I know he was on loan at Kings Lynn with McWilliams and scored a hattrick the other week, perhaps CW was premature to release him. As for Wylde, in any squad of 22 players you need definite starters, possible starters and backup players. You cannot easily manage a squad of 22 players who all expect to start every week even if the wages allowed it. With Wylde you have a player that is definitely better than Beautyman or Sonupe and offers something different from the bench. I would not expect to see him in the starting eleven unless injuries dictate, but he has experience and is still young enough to improve.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 14:38:22 pm »

I didn't release Sam Warburton had already been released. I know he was on loan at Kings Lynn with McWilliams and scored a hattrick the other week, perhaps CW was premature to release him. As for Wylde, in any squad of 22 players you need definite starters, possible starters and backup players. You cannot easily manage a squad of 22 players who all expect to start every week even if the wages allowed it. With Wylde you have a player that is definitely better than Beautyman or Sonupe and offers something different from the bench. I would not expect to see him in the starting eleven unless injuries dictate, but he has experience and is still young enough to improve.

Agree with this.

Think we would be stupid to not try our best to secure Zander, Smith and JJ. I'm not sure another year for Zakuani is a great idea budget wise, he has spent half his time here either away captaining Congo (which he said he wouldn't do when we signed him) or injured. A great defender he is, but I think Nyatanga has been a lot better than people on here make out and should be cheaper? Would like both if we can afford it but we may need to put the money elsewhere.

I really wonder what games people are watching when they say Rico doesn't get about the pitch much, the last four or five weeks he has looked as fit as a fiddle and still been hassling the ball down in the latter stages of games. I would like to see us pick up Michael Smith also, his work rate is phenomenal although he does need to work on that finishing. It was there once before, maybe he just needs to find form.

I'm not sure Anderson will stay, or if we should keep him. He seems to get a lot of stick, despite having scored a few goals and being involved in a lot more. Would like to see him in a 4-4-2 on the right hand side. Has more to offer than we have seen.

Looks like Sonupe is off, and Eardley too as he has vanished after his kid was born. Williams looks great, but I would be worried about the amount of time he has spent injured here that is not related to the big injury he was coming back from.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 16:28:32 pm »

I hope JED raids Gillingham when they go down for Josh Wright and Bradley Dack. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 16:52:26 pm »

I know it's not exactly Neymar v Messi but I would prefer Beautyman to Wyler
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 18:56:06 pm »

I hope JED raids Gillingham when they go down for Josh Wright and Bradley Dack. Grin

I think if dack and wright became available there's no way in the world we would have the financial clout to be able to compete for them - this summers transfer market is going to be incredibly competitive and I can see us losing out for decent players like we did last summer. I just hope that (dack and wright excepted!) we don't go in for any of JED's ex players - gillingham have been awful this season. I guess he might be interested in j Emmanuel Thomas if he became available but I'm not sure he's the kind of player we need.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 22:22:15 pm »

Just to put some balance on it, I doubt they are on anymore money than say Bucs or Matt Taylor so anything is possible. Kelvin has already said that he needs to invest in the playing squad next season and i am sure he will providing we remain in Div one. 
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 22:42:54 pm »

"Also, you wish to sign Wylde, on what evidence?" Grin

Anything You Say (or Do) Can and Will be Held Against You as evidence on the Hotel End Forum.
Amen
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
CobblerTilIDie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 10:22:49 am »

In an ideal world, assuming all loanees return to their parent clubs:

Keep the 2 keepers and we are all good there.

RB is all good - Eardley unlikely to be required
Centre back we will need to add to Zander and Zak, i doubt Rod will hang around
LB we need cover for Buchanan (if Hanley isn't about)

Midfield needs lots of work. I think most would want to keep JJOT and Taylor (if he carries on playing). Paul Anderson has done well - i'd keep him. McCourt hasn't impressed. Beautyman neither. The rest of the midfield is loanees. So we need central as well as wide midfielders.

Attacking wise Rico & Revell are getting on... neither has a full season in them (be it injuries or rotation at times). I can see JED deciding to only keep one of them. Hoskins will hopefully be back.

So in summary i think in the summer we need:

A centre back or two.
A number of midfielders.
A striker or two.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: