The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 07:04:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Sheff Utd (H) Match

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sheff Utd (H) Match  (Read 4883 times)
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2017, 18:47:49 pm »

We were good to today, we competed with the best team in the league and didn't look out of place until the last twenty minutes.

As mentioned previously, JE got the subs wrong today and it cost us a point. McWilliams did his best but was up against it out of position (good match experience for him though) and Rod in a back three didn't work.

Adam Smith had a blinder, back to his best again I think. Zander put in one of the best defensive displays I have ever seen at Sixfields, if we don't try and keep hold of him we are mad. Nyatanga made some errors today, looked like he tried playing offside for their goal but was caught out by a killer pass. Buchs solid as usual, Maloney was brilliant driving forward and showed just why he is our number one right back.

JJ and Williams made a massive difference, but JJ should have been taken off as he was labouring in the latter stages (he is injured after all) and Williams should have stayed on. Taylor was okay, did put himself about and tracked back well but I still think he is a liability when played in the middle as people can just jog past him and leave us exposed. Ando had a good game but was looking tired before being taken off.

We hustled and bustled well, chasing down the ball until we were just too tired to do it and fell back into the old two lines of four that always means we get caught out more often than not. Smith was putting himself about well and didn't look tired, I think Revs should have come on for Rico who looked knackered after putting a good shift in and what a finish for his goal.

The general consensus is we are not far away from being a decent side, and I agree with that. A pacey striker (Hoskins, Lobjoit?) and some more pace out wide and I think we will be pretty good.

Really cannot explain how we ended up with so many Blades fans in the home ends, most of who were intent on causing trouble. As much as before the game we were happy for them to have their moment on the pitch at the end, throwing punches at home fans means I hope they all come back down to earth when the wonderful "one of their own" gets poached by a "bigger" club in the summer.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2017, 18:49:10 pm »

Can't work out why McWilliams and McDonald's came on, why take Smith off and leave Rico on ?
Taylor again had a bad game, Williams made too many bad choices. We will struggle next season unless we completely rebuild from front to back.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2017, 19:09:03 pm »

I liked the look of fleck in their midfield - just the type of player we desperately need, a McCourt with legs and ability
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2017, 19:47:07 pm »

Not inspired substitutions today which I think cost us a point.

As for the blades fans in the home section - and over the years I have done it many times - there is a certain etiquette- at places like Milwall you keep you mouth and celebrations firmly muted - in a more friendly place (and sixfields is) maybe let the world know you are an away fan with a cheer and a clap but you don't give it large the way the 9 or 10 fans in the lower west stand north end were doing - as for the little bone head s*** with the blue polo top (and embarrassed girl friend in tow) - what a hard man you are threatening pensioners - complete and utter wanker.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2017, 19:56:22 pm »

- as for the little bone head **** with the blue polo top (and embarrassed girl friend in tow) - what a hard man you are threatening pensioners - complete and utter ****.

He was no spring chicken either, you'd think he'd have grown out of that sort of behaviour. Pathetic.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Claret Lady

View Profile
Level 5 Apple User Combination
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2017, 20:34:39 pm »

As for the blades fans in the home section - and over the years I have done it many times - there is a certain etiquette- at places like Milwall you keep you mouth and celebrations firmly muted - in a more friendly place (and sixfields is) maybe let the world know you are an away fan with a cheer and a clap but you don't give it large the way the 9 or 10 fans in the lower west stand north end were doing - as for the little bone head **** with the blue polo top (and embarrassed girl friend in tow) - what a hard man you are threatening pensioners - complete and utter ****.

Agree about the blades fans, that bloke in the blue top was threatening people sitting by us and he was totally out of order. You'll never stop fans getting in the home sections unfortunately but they should at least behave themselves and show some respect.  On the plus side thought we played well today and at least deserved a point and I am still laughing at the great rugby tackle by the steward today on the blades fan that decided to run onto the pitch  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
andycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2017, 20:37:47 pm »

Bloke in the blue was a prick and you'll be pleased to know he got a slap or two  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
ceebee2

View Profile
Apple User Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2017, 20:42:01 pm »

Can't work out why McWilliams and McDonald's came on, why take Smith off and leave Rico on ?
Taylor again had a bad game, Williams made too many bad choices. We will struggle next season unless we completely rebuild from front to back.
On reflection I think those wily old foxes Wilder and Knill put one over on JE which I'm not sure he could do much about given the resources he has at his disposal.

In the 1st half our back 4 and defensive set up held them at bay, but then Wilder introduced first Sharp and then Hanson to play with Clarke up front and you could see CW going mad at the 3 of them to spread wide and make the pitch big - this then started to play havoc with our defensive plan, they got the equaliser and were threatening more when JE did what he probably had to do and went for 3 at the back by introducing McDonald for a midfielder to match them, and straight away Wilder takes off Clarke and brings on another midfielder meaning we've now got 1 defender too many and 1 midfielder too few thus inviting them on to us even more.

They then seemed to have a breather for 10 mins or so before coming strongly again at the end like they nearly always do, getting a late goal like they nearly always do and winning promotion!

It's a simple game really, but it does help when you've got subs like Sharp and Hanson to bring on and a couple of wily old foxes to devise a cunning plan.

Our first choice team is good but our back ups are nowhere near as good as the top teams in this League especially in midfield - and on that subject Moloney and Anderson are coming back after injuries, JJ is carrying an injury and Rico isn't getting any younger ..... but what a finish - Shearer esque and a proper Number 9's goal!!        
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2017, 20:54:55 pm »

Two points dropped

I agree, well almost and thought we were a bit unlucky not to have gained a point. Generally a good team performance although Willams looked off the pace most of the game. Central defense did well against at times a pretty ordinary SU attack. Both full backs played well, very little or nothing to separate them. JJOT classy at times but both he and Taylor tired in the last ten minutes. Richards goal was outstanding - Smith did ok without ever looking like scoring. Goalie Smith played well through out played with a fierce determination. McWilliams when he came on... looked a wee bit out of it and offered little; looked on the slow side? Taylor did ok some of his passing was good tho' - usual mix of stray passes etc. They were quick to close him down. Thought that Anderson played well until his legs went. My over riding impression of the game that it was a fascinating tussle, we were never outplayed or outclassed; SU not as good as the hype and their fwds to me looked a bit on the ordinary side. As Clarkey suggests we deserved something from the game.  Now we have a tough game v Millwall. Lose that and we are on squeaky bum time!
As for the trouble in the North End of the West a group of theirs stood up in the final moments shouting the odds and then promptly ran down towards their dug out. There were some punches thrown and saw one SU fan hurled/pushed/hit over the barrier. One Blades female fan was led away showing acute distress.
I don't have a lot of sympathy for away fans who bring women and children into the away end drawing attention to them selves and asking for trouble which they got. I thought our steward's were useless - FBI my ărse, more like " Friendly But Ignorant"
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2017, 23:39:54 pm »

I thought it was a decent performance against the best team seen at Sixfields this season. We matched them for the first 70 minutes but as the game drew to a conclusion there was only going to be one winner. I was surprised by the substitions as both JJ and Richards looked knackered towards the end. Williams did make a few mistakes but also showed plenty of quality on the ball and perhaps could have stayed on. I also think with Moloney proving to be such an attacking threat, JED could have brought Phillips on to play RB and kept Moloney up field.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2017, 08:06:35 am »

The Rauldhino and others are right about the substitutions, JE got it badly wrong. It was obvious, from the beginning of the second half at the latest, that JJOT was struggling and he spent that half jogging from our penalty box to the centre circle. It was like having 10 men.  It was also obvious that Sheff Utd would stretch our defence in the second half. The back 4 were doing alright although Nyatanga put in an erratic performance. McCourt in place of JJOT could at least have sat in front of the back 4 and provided some cover. All 3 substitutes contributed very little and those given the hook can feel a little hard done by.  My confidence in JE was shaken a little yesterday. 

JE with his substitutions seemed to be treating the match as an end of season game where the outcome didn't matter but we go to Millwall on Good Friday still needing a win to secure safety. The chances are that we will go into the last 3 matches anxiously needing a win.  We are not yet safe.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2017, 08:39:00 am »

The Rauldhino and others are right about the substitutions, JE got it badly wrong. It was obvious, from the beginning of the second half at the latest, that JJOT was struggling and he spent that half jogging from our penalty box to the centre circle. It was like having 10 men.  It was also obvious that Sheff Utd would stretch our defence in the second half. The back 4 were doing alright although Nyatanga put in an erratic performance. McCourt in place of JJOT could at least have sat in front of the back 4 and provided some cover. All 3 substitutes contributed very little and those given the hook can feel a little hard done by.  My confidence in JE was shaken a little yesterday. 

JE with his substitutions seemed to be treating the match as an end of season game where the outcome didn't matter but we go to Millwall on Good Friday still needing a win to secure safety. The chances are that we will go into the last 3 matches anxiously needing a win.  We are not yet safe.

I agree in part with your summary, but to find JE culpable for the defeat is very harsh. The problem is that such opinions after the game are often based on hindsight including mine of course. I thought yesterday we deserved a point but failed to do so come the 88th minute! As for the substitutions was disappointed with McWilliams , McDonald did not add any stability to the defense and Revell failed to trouble their defense not that he had much opportunity to do so. I agree McCourt might have made a difference. The problem was that SU were able to bring on game changers in Hanson and Sharp and that probably was the difference that swayed the game in SU's favour.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2487

« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2017, 09:41:34 am »

I thought Sheffield United were poor in the first half and we were the better team. Second half they showed why they're top and will win the league.
Report Spam   Logged
boblarkin

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2017, 09:49:45 am »

I wouldn't say they were poor in the first half.

If they were we were poorer.

I seem to remember several shots that went very close.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2017, 10:28:50 am »

Highlights.

http://www.skysports.com/football/northampton-vs-sheff-utd/report/359160
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2017, 12:02:32 pm »

Must admit I was surprised that he didn't bring on McCourt at 1-1 rather than McWilliams.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2017, 12:43:34 pm »

We are not yet safe.

you best tell cobbler 78 then because he told us we were definitely safe about a month ago
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2017, 13:11:41 pm »

If that is so he needs to retake his GCSE in maths
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler_rob

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2017, 16:31:13 pm »

Good performance, players were up for it and worked hard. Thought Nyatanga and Diamond were both excellent. Subs changed the game for me, bringing McDonald on seemed to upset the defence a little and thought McWilliams looked a bit out of his depth

Didn't mind them celebrating on the pitch but thought not for the 1st time this season the stewarding was poor. There were 3 Sheffield blokes below me who got asked to leave and rather than ushering them out along the bottom quickly there was just 1 steward pointing up to the concourse.  They took they're time and milked it a bit and before they knew it had about 20 cobblers fans on them. All could've been avoided by conpetent stewarding

Not really sure what half of the stewards actually do
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2017, 19:06:51 pm »

considering Shef. Utd are the best team in the division, We did well against them, At least we won't have to play them next season, JE was wrong to put MacWilliams on, too much to expect from him, We at least made a game of it and did well. At least we will I think stay up and that is the object of this season.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: