The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:48:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Marc Richards.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marc Richards.  (Read 6348 times)
Ralap

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: April 18, 2017, 12:10:38 pm »

I've seen mention on other threads of people thinking Marc may have come to an end of his time at the club as a player. As top scorer so far in a crazy season on the pitch I'm not sure I agree.
But putting that to one side, with Marc showing the commitment to the club by settling down in the town, his kids are apparently happily settled at local schools, couldn't the club show faith in return and allow him to finish his coaching badges with us. He may have another season or so in him as a player, if not couldn't we make a coaching position for him? He comes across as a top bloke and talks a lot of sense and in a straight, no bulls***e, manner to me. Possible future manager?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Razor

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 12:16:01 pm »

I think he still has plenty to offer as a player. As you say he is our top scorer this season and he hardly started a game until November. Letting him go would be a bad mistake.

I wouldn't let him take any more penalties though!
Report Spam   Logged
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 12:24:05 pm »

it all comes down to money .....

Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 12:29:27 pm »

Agreed but forward thinking maybe needs to be considered.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 12:31:02 pm »

correct - he came back for a decent pay packet on a 3 year deal here, if someone offered him something similar elsewhere he would go now.

i doubt we would offer him a 3 year deal.
Report Spam   Logged
Benji

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 12:44:18 pm »

The biggest problem is that Richards and Revell are very similar players and with Revell already under contract next year I can see Richards leaving. Richards has the edge for me but I don't see the club keeping them both with so much rebuilding needed with the squad.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 13:19:48 pm »

I'd keep Rico over Revell.

I agree with the thought of getting him to finish his badges etc, possible player/coach role?
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 14:17:47 pm »

The biggest problem is that Richards and Revell are very similar players and with Revell already under contract next year I can see Richards leaving. Richards has the edge for me but I don't see the club keeping them both with so much rebuilding needed with the squad.
[/quotet
             I agree they are so much the same, We have missed the 'fox in the box' Hoskins more than a lot on here thought we would.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 14:41:13 pm »

Keep him on a reduced wage/coaching role/etc if we can.

Still has something to offer, has been our best striker this season.

Revs isn't going anywhere, I'd be happy with them plus Hoskins, Lobjoit and Iaciofano next season. Gives us four out and out strikers and one who can play wide or at the top of the diamond (hopefully).

In the middle of the park is where we need strengthening first, people who can play in the diamond.

Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 15:14:17 pm »

I'd keep Rico over Revell.

I agree with the thought of getting him to finish his badges etc, possible player/coach role?
So would I.
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 15:22:06 pm »

I'd bring in Baldy to play along side the Revmeister..
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
SteveRiches

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 15:26:34 pm »

You can't argue with the stats. His goals have saved us. But he needs good crosses and a fast front runner with him. We have neither of those things happening presently. If Sam Hoskins recovers ok he'll be part of an answer. What we don't want to lose is Rico's magnificent leadership on or off the field. We really need to offer him some sort of contract where he works for the club off the field but is available on it while (if) we stay in this division. With the right set-up and free from injury he'll score goals next season. It's a no-brainer.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 15:50:16 pm »

Agree but part of the problem up front is that Rico & Revell are too alike and, as we have seen on too many occasions, they don't play well as a pair up front. If Hoskins is going to play a part he will need to improve greatly on his goal scoring and that may be wishful thinking.  Some hard decisions for JE to make are imminent.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 16:06:00 pm »

Rico has been a great servant and in a world of mercenaries and fly-by-night loanees I think he has a rare and valuable affinity for the club which is worth preserving. He offers the kind of leadership and dressing room presence which would be hard to replace.

Unfortunately, that numbskull Page spunked a big chunk of the budget on signing an extremely similar player. Revell has been quite decent this season, and in any case is the one under contract. I don't really see how we can afford the luxury of keeping both of them on the same terms. I still think, even with the signing of Lobjoit and the return of Hoskins, that we probably need to sign another type of striker in the summer, particularly if JED continues his preference for two up front.

Report Spam   Logged
Razor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 16:10:59 pm »

Unfortunately, that numbskull Page spunked a big chunk of the budget on signing an extremely similar player.

This is the biggest problem. If it's possible to move Revell on we really should try and do so as Rico is the better option all day long for me.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 16:15:01 pm »

There is little to choose between them but if JE is going to persist with his diamond formation where is the pace and delivery going to come from to provide either of these strikers with the scoring opportunities on a regular basis? 
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 17:09:29 pm »

It will come down to wages, he must be on £3k per week now. On that salary I would think twice about another year. If he was will to half this, I'd keep him for another year. Trouble is a L2 club might offer him a two year deal, but would he want the extra travel?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 18:13:43 pm »

I think part of the problem this season is a lack of legs, we need younger more athletic players with pace. Therefore, can we go into next season with at least three players in their mid thirties? Can we keep Matt Taylor, Marc Richards & Alex Revell - no I don't think so. Revell is the only one of the three under contract so is clearly in the best position.

However, a coaching/playing position would be a good way to keep Rico involved.

Report Spam   Logged
OldStratfordCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 18:43:47 pm »

Keep him on a reduced wage/coaching role/etc if we can.

Still has something to offer, has been our best striker this season.

Revs isn't going anywhere, I'd be happy with them plus Hoskins, Lobjoit and Iaciofano next season. Gives us four out and out strikers and one who can play wide or at the top of the diamond (hopefully).

In the middle of the park is where we need strengthening first, people who can play in the diamond.

2 of those named, L and JI, are untried and have not played a single Football League game between them! Well, JI has had a couple of minutes at Sheffield United. In my opinion we need proven strikers with pace to compliment the kids.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 19:28:41 pm »

If it's a choice between Richards and Revell then it's not a tough one, is it?
Just a shame it might not be a choice.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: