The Hotel End
March 19, 2024, 05:08:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Doncaster Rovers (H) 9th September

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doncaster Rovers (H) 9th September  (Read 11276 times)
Buster

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2017, 06:30:16 am »

Curiously they haven't removed the facility to sign in, so maybe it's just temporary...
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2017, 09:53:00 am »

It must have been mentioned before but back in good old 87, on the Saint and Greavsie show, they had a piece about Carrs rampant team and the intensely hard fitness programme they had then, which was basically 200 laps of Abby Park with Clive Walker shouting his bits off! They used Quo's "In the Army Now" as the musical backdrop.

Get the fuckers running...

Train hard, fight easy...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2017, 10:09:28 am »

When I saw the team, I thought…hmmm, now hows Smith going to fit in. Probably like a few others did as well. I assumed he'd be playing on the left wing but wasn't sure how it would go. I did have hopes it would go well though because the two pre-season games I saw (R&D and Kettering), he was our best player overall.

And it did go well. 21 seconds it took for him to make his mark.

How refreshing is it to actually see a team selection where not one fan (hardly) would have gone with a pick that the manager did, but the managers decision was completely justified! That is what a football manager should be doing, showing us fans that he knows best! Its been a bloody while since that happened!!

First half, we played very well. Good tempo, created a fair few chances. But Im a firm believer that a really early goal changes the entire phycology (me and a mate actually have an ongoing banter about teams that score in the first 5 minutes 'score too early' and they often end up losing or drawing) and that theory came into play again as we got deeper and deeper throughout the game. Think England last week. Think Burnley yesterday, Palace battered them after Burnley took the lead in the 3rd meeting and somehow didn't get anything from the game.

I will expand on this. The away team will mainly go out thinking 'we've got a point, lets make sure we don't lose that' and as such their approach is often quite conservative. They concede early doors and it releases all of the tension because all of a sudden they've got nothing to lose. It then frees them up to express themselves. Whilst the home team becomes more nervous, and in our situation (not having won for 6 months, lost previous 4 league games) its merely compounded.

We needed that 2nd goal. It didn't come and we were perhaps a little fortunate not to concede on the balance of play. Not fortunate though in terms of the resilience, determination and organisation that all 11 players showed at all times. In many ways that warranted the 3 points on its own.

Im not sure fitness (lack of) played much of a part in us going backwards, I will put it down to this theory. I've seen it happen many many times before.

Enjoyable afternoon, albeit a very nervous one in those last 20 minutes. Roll on tomorrow now!
Report Spam   Logged
vietnamcobbler

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2017, 10:33:02 am »

great summary!
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2017, 11:51:27 am »

When I saw the team, I thought…hmmm, now hows Smith going to fit in. Probably like a few others did as well. I assumed he'd be playing on the left wing but wasn't sure how it would go. I did have hopes it would go well though because the two pre-season games I saw (R&D and Kettering), he was our best player overall.

And it did go well. 21 seconds it took for him to make his mark.

How refreshing is it to actually see a team selection where not one fan (hardly) would have gone with a pick that the manager did, but the managers decision was completely justified! That is what a football manager should be doing, showing us fans that he knows best! Its been a bloody while since that happened!!

First half, we played very well. Good tempo, created a fair few chances. But Im a firm believer that a really early goal changes the entire phycology (me and a mate actually have an ongoing banter about teams that score in the first 5 minutes 'score too early' and they often end up losing or drawing) and that theory came into play again as we got deeper and deeper throughout the game. Think England last week. Think Burnley yesterday, Palace battered them after Burnley took the lead in the 3rd meeting and somehow didn't get anything from the game.

I will expand on this. The away team will mainly go out thinking 'we've got a point, lets make sure we don't lose that' and as such their approach is often quite conservative. They concede early doors and it releases all of the tension because all of a sudden they've got nothing to lose. It then frees them up to express themselves. Whilst the home team becomes more nervous, and in our situation (not having won for 6 months, lost previous 4 league games) its merely compounded.

We needed that 2nd goal. It didn't come and we were perhaps a little fortunate not to concede on the balance of play. Not fortunate though in terms of the resilience, determination and organisation that all 11 players showed at all times. In many ways that warranted the 3 points on its own.

Im not sure fitness (lack of) played much of a part in us going backwards, I will put it down to this theory. I've seen it happen many many times before.

Enjoyable afternoon, albeit a very nervous one in those last 20 minutes. Roll on tomorrow now!

Fitness definitely played a big part. Just look at Crookes performance and influence on the first half and how he went virtually completely AWOL second half. He looked like he was treading water coming off. I'm not suggesting it's a negative though, the fitness levels will definitely be worked on if fans of other clubs Jimmy has managed are to be believed.
Report Spam   Logged
Quintonside

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2017, 12:27:20 pm »

Fitness definitely played a big part. Just look at Crookes performance and influence on the first half and how he went virtually completely AWOL second half. He looked like he was treading water coming off. I'm not suggesting it's a negative though, the fitness levels will definitely be worked on if fans of other clubs Jimmy has managed are to be believed.

Spot on! That was because he did more running in the first 45 mins than he had in the previous games combined. He looked far more comfortable in the role and with one up top, he does need to work hard. The more he plays there the better he will get.
Report Spam   Logged

Member since 2013, 4 years trying to unlock the account and find password. Back in full swing May 2017
guest2995

« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2017, 12:59:45 pm »

Yeah, I don't think they were keen on constructive criticism. Plus, I suspect it saves them a few quid in not having to pay moderators anymore.

Either way, I barely look at the site anymore as it is no longer worth reading, which is a crying shame.
Still no highlights or match summary on the Chron page .
Removing the comments section has virtually made the whole site superfluous because it just regurgitates quotes from elsewhere.
Sadly , the end of an era .
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #167 on: September 11, 2017, 14:35:10 pm »

Very happy with the result and effort of the players in securing the win but as pointed out some of our lot are carrying a bit of timber, I dont single out players but there was one lad sjprtd bursting at the seams and was left chasing shadows as he turned like the torrey canyon but slower.
Jimmy needs to crack the whip and get them up to there physical peaks.
Report Spam   Logged
pattcobb
Guess who's back?

Queer eye for the Cobblers 🌈

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2017, 14:52:43 pm »

Very happy with the result and effort of the players in securing the win but as pointed out some of our lot are carrying a bit of timber, I dont single out players but there was one lad sjprtd bursting at the seams and was left chasing shadows as he turned like the torrey canyon but slower.
I don't single out players? wtf are you on about? it's a football forum. You're not the manager I'm sure they won't take it personally.
Report Spam   Logged

Lending a queer eye on things 🌈
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2017, 15:20:40 pm »

Smith?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2017, 15:52:09 pm »

Still no highlights or match summary on the Chron page .
Removing the comments section has virtually made the whole site superfluous because it just regurgitates quotes from elsewhere.
Sadly , the end of an era .
A match report and reaction from Jimmy went on the website on Saturday. And there's been two further articles today.

Are you looking in the right place?
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2017, 16:11:45 pm »

A match report and reaction from Jimmy went on the website on Saturday. And there's been two further articles today.

Are you looking in the right place?

We're talking about the match summary and player ratings with highlights which appear on Sunday, or Wednesday for a Tuesday night game. This is entirely different to the match report and managers comments. There is often a report from the opposition manager on Sunday too.

Having said that , without the ability to comment the website has been greatly devalued and it makes you wonder whether it will survive.
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2017, 16:12:26 pm »

Smith?
No but its immaterial who it is as he will be as fit as #### next time out😂
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2017, 16:39:37 pm »

We're talking about the match summary and player ratings with highlights which appear on Sunday, or Wednesday for a Tuesday night game. This is entirely different to the match report and managers comments. There is often a report from the opposition manager on Sunday too.

Having said that , without the ability to comment the website has been greatly devalued and it makes you wonder whether it will survive.

For a very long while the news stories have been of such a poor standard that they only really repeated the headline in a more verbose fashion half the time. You had to rely on the comments to flesh out the detail and correct factual inaccuracies in what the story said (and point out the spelling mistakes). Without the comments I don't even bother opening any stories on there now; I generally just read the headlines to get a vague idea of what's going on.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2017, 16:45:13 pm »

The main reporter James Henaghan was on holiday so that might be why coverage wasn't as extensive on the Chron site? Casey may have been missing in action too, although I'm not 100% on that one.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2017, 17:54:32 pm »

The Chron has just completely lost its position within the media .
Everyone still looks for a main news feed and it could still fill that objective , but clearly hasn't the appetite or resource to do so , which is a real pity .
It doesn't benefit the club either because they need to reach out to new people and the electronic media only really feeds to the converted .
Let's see if there is a preview and report on tomorrow's game
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: