The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 22:25:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Summer 2017 Transfer Wishlist

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 128   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2017 Transfer Wishlist  (Read 208756 times)
Cobbler78

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #1560 on: July 17, 2017, 18:11:53 pm »

I don't think he did. I suppose if we were signing him it would be done by now.

JEDs comments about the trialists being lined up before pre-season and that we'd moved on to other targets since the investment probably mean he isn't going to be coming.

Will be interesting to see who the 4th Central Defender is, you would think Brady had exactly the right profile for that spot.

Do we really want to waste a chunk of our budget on a 4th choice center back. Give a youth team player a go in training and invest the money saved on the first 11-18 players, not players who 9 times out of ten won't make the squad.
Report Spam   Logged
ntfc01

View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: July 17, 2017, 18:20:24 pm »

Do we really want to waste a chunk of our budget on a 4th choice center back. Give a youth team player a go in training and invest the money saved on the first 11-18 players, not players who 9 times out of ten won't make the squad.

Yes... Because you need 4 centre backs... What if you end up with a n injury and then a suspension. Why leave yourself short when you don't have to. We can't bring anyone in once the window closes anymore
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler_rob

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: July 17, 2017, 18:33:07 pm »

What's to say the centre backs going to be a 4th choice? Now we have extra investment we might sign someone who's going to be a 1st choice and allow Poole and Taylor to battle it out
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #1563 on: July 17, 2017, 19:04:05 pm »

Wes Brown is looking for a club  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #1564 on: July 17, 2017, 20:08:53 pm »

Wes Brown is looking for a club  Cool

So is Steven Taylor ex-Newcastle & Ipswich.
Report Spam   Logged
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1565 on: July 17, 2017, 20:34:23 pm »

Na the defence is almost sorted....  Cool
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: July 17, 2017, 22:09:31 pm »

Yes... Because you need 4 centre backs... What if you end up with a n injury and then a suspension. Why leave yourself short when you don't have to. We can't bring anyone in once the window closes anymore

Is a decent center back going to come here knowing the options we already have.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #1567 on: July 17, 2017, 22:30:12 pm »

On that basis teams would never sign anyone?
Report Spam   Logged
Vince Planner

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 5 Combination
« Reply #1568 on: July 17, 2017, 22:55:00 pm »

What's a center back?
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: July 17, 2017, 23:06:16 pm »

On that basis teams would never sign anyone?

You've missed the point. I'd rather have 2 x 3k per week centre backs and 2 x 1k per week centre backs than 4 x 2k per week centre backs as that's a lot of wasted budget sat on the bench or not in the squad. I'd rather go with 14-15 high quality players and 8 or 9 back ups then a squad of 22 average players.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #1570 on: July 18, 2017, 00:33:48 am »

You've missed the point. I'd rather have 2 x 3k per week centre backs and 2 x 1k per week centre backs than 4 x 2k per week centre backs as that's a lot of wasted budget sat on the bench or not in the squad. I'd rather go with 14-15 high quality players and 8 or 9 back ups then a squad of 22 average players.

I agree.

Who's to say the new centre back won't be one of the ones that is first choice though? E.g. one of the ones on a higher wage. Who knows.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: July 18, 2017, 06:26:21 am »

I agree.

Who's to say the new centre back won't be one of the ones that is first choice though? E.g. one of the ones on a higher wage. Who knows.

I would guess Regan Poole didn't come cheap, we may even have to start him a certain number of time as part of the agreement, as per Kenji Gorre. Ash Taylor won't have been cheap either, these two will be our first choice centre backs.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: July 18, 2017, 08:31:43 am »

I would guess Regan Poole didn't come cheap, we may even have to start him a certain number of time as part of the agreement, as per Kenji Gorre. Ash Taylor won't have been cheap either, these two will be our first choice centre backs.

All of this is why I thought that Brady seemed the ideal choice to be the ideal option to be the 4th Centre Back and why it is seems, on  the face of it, strange that we seemed to have moved on from him. Maybe the investment level is higher than we thought?

Just on the Gorre point, what was the agreed number of starts we had to give him? What would have happened if we didn't meet them? It seems odd given that he disappeared from sight after the first month or so
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #1573 on: July 18, 2017, 08:40:02 am »

All of this is why I thought that Brady seemed the ideal choice to be the ideal option to be the 4th Centre Back and why it is seems, on  the face of it, strange that we seemed to have moved on from him. Maybe the investment level is higher than we thought?

Just on the Gorre point, what was the agreed number of starts we had to give him? What would have happened if we didn't meet them? It seems odd given that he disappeared from sight after the first month or so

I am pretty sure the whol;e Gorre thing was rumour and conjecture and nobody actually know what his loan agreement looked like. We seemed to continue to play him whilst he was frankly awful, when his form seemed to pick up we dropped him and never saw him again - most odd!!!
Report Spam   Logged
rebelspawn

View Profile
Search Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #1574 on: July 18, 2017, 08:42:27 am »

I am pretty sure the whol;e Gorre thing was rumour and conjecture and nobody actually know what his loan agreement looked like. We seemed to continue to play him whilst he was frankly awful, when his form seemed to pick up we dropped him and never saw him again - most odd!!!

That can be explained in two words... Rob Page  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: July 18, 2017, 08:47:31 am »

That can be explained in two words... Rob Page  Grin

You beat me to it Rebel  Grin

I'm probably naïve but I just don't see these clauses existing, especially with the new loan rules. Take Gorre as an example, he was on a half season loan and players can't be recalled outside of a transfer window. Say we agreed to play him in 75% of games, if it got to November and he'd played 10% what could Swansea do? They couldn't recall him.

Similarly with Poole, if we aren't playing him enough he may get recalled in January but then I doubt we'll be too upset if he isn't making the team.

I suppose there could be financial penalties, or some sort of scale where we pay a higher % of the players wage if we don't play them enough but that would be hard to calculate with injuries etc.
Report Spam   Logged
lodgeadam

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #1576 on: July 18, 2017, 09:10:00 am »

You beat me to it Rebel  Grin

I'm probably naïve but I just don't see these clauses existing, especially with the new loan rules. Take Gorre as an example, he was on a half season loan and players can't be recalled outside of a transfer window. Say we agreed to play him in 75% of games, if it got to November and he'd played 10% what could Swansea do? They couldn't recall him.

Similarly with Poole, if we aren't playing him enough he may get recalled in January but then I doubt we'll be too upset if he isn't making the team.

I suppose there could be financial penalties, or some sort of scale where we pay a higher % of the players wage if we don't play them enough but that would be hard to calculate with injuries etc.

You've answered your own question there. Any clause in a footballers contract is plausible these days, and Page would've been so desperate I can see it being true.
Report Spam   Logged

--- 'Shoe Army' is THE worst chant ever! --- Twitter @lodgeadam
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1577 on: July 18, 2017, 09:12:25 am »

People were saying the same thing about Matt Taylor. I assume it's just rationalisation for why a player you don't like is continuing to be picked in a team. "It must be because they're contractually obliged to be picked, it definitely can't be because someone else has a different judgement about their ability".

Anyway, if Matt Crooks doesn't sign today, after the speculation previously that today would be the day, do we start to panic that the deal has broken down?

Report Spam   Logged
Battery Man

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #1578 on: July 18, 2017, 09:14:27 am »

I think some of these clauses do exist, I was chatting to my cousin at the weekend, he is the supporters trust member on the board of Grimsby Town. He was telling me that for Premier League club loans there is usually a clause that they will pay the players wages only if he plays. If he doesnt play one week you pay the wage, whereas if he does play they pay. What he was saying was that it usually based on percentages that is paid by parent club and loan club, so Premier league club will pay like 60% of his wage each week and if he doesn't play that may go down to 10% or something like that depending on the agreement you can get.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #1579 on: July 18, 2017, 09:16:35 am »

I think some of these clauses do exist, I was chatting to my cousin at the weekend, he is the supporters trust member on the board of Grimsby Town. He was telling me that for Premier League club loans there is usually a clause that they will pay the players wages only if he plays. If he doesnt play one week you pay the wage, whereas if he does play they pay. What he was saying was that it usually based on percentages that is paid by parent club and loan club, so Premier league club will pay like 60% of his wage each week and if he doesn't play that may go down to 10% or something like that depending on the agreement you can get.

it's almost as if people negotiate contracts?!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 128   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: